Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

Yes I know Kyle's only hit 32 shut up.

There's a pizza joint getting absolutely destroyed right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What is the all time record for most consecutive games scoring at least 1 run? (By a team)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

RCarr posted:

What is the all time record for most consecutive games scoring at least 1 run? (By a team)

I'd answer but it would be unfair because I only know because the Yankees just got shut out for the first time in 221 games.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

As for the Twins specifically, a lot of it I think is getting rid of the small-ball approach from Gardy and Molitor. A bunch of dudes we picked up because we thought they had power being told to slap the ball suddenly get the reins taken off and are in fact encouraged to hit the hell out of the ball? What did people think was gonna happen?

The fanbase has been waiting for this for loving years, especially from Rosario, Polanco, Kepler, Sano, and Buxton. And in the case of Kepler, Sano, and Buxton, it's largely been a case of seeing the ball and working the count a lot better. Surprised by the amount of home runs? Sure. But I'm NOT surprised by the fact that they're all just plain hitting better.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Vogelbach looks like the robot from Big Hero 6 when it was stuffed into the armor

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

Vogelbach looks like the robot from Big Hero 6 when it was stuffed into the armor

He looks like a long lost Giambi brother.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

As for the Twins specifically, a lot of it I think is getting rid of the small-ball approach from Gardy and Molitor.

Situational hitting is the key to this game. It doesn't do any good to have a runner on first if you can't move him along. I tell guys that ESPN likes homeruns, but I like runners on base. You move that runner and we'll get along fine.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

And outside of Kepler (and he has a huge change in launch angle from two years ago) who on that list is surprising??? I guess Calhoun but he hit 26 before and has always been a guy that could knock out 30 if he got it together.

The rest are all guys with big raw power or several 20 homer seasons in the minors and majors. Eddie Rosario hit 27 as a 25 year old, Mancini has always had big power and was expected to be a slugger while his approach has been improving for several years now. Soler was always a guy that if he put it together was going to mash a pile of dingers, Vogelbach was a guy like Luke Voit who crushed dingers in the minors and seemed to just need a chance and maybe he'd put together a couple of big homer years or flame out spectacularly, and Renfroe was roughly on pace for 35 homeruns the last two years if he'd gotten to 650 PAs. He's always had a ton of power but his approach sucked beyond hitting the ball a million miles (which he still basically is).

And half of these guys aren't getting to 35 anyway.

So is your point the juiced ball isn't helping, or that 35 is too high of a watermark to say "this is artificially inflating power numbers"

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I'd answer but it would be unfair because I only know because the Yankees just got shut out for the first time in 221 games.

Yea that’s why I ask. Is that the record?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

the popes toes posted:

Situational hitting is the key to this game. It doesn't do any good to have a runner on first if you can't move him along. I tell guys that ESPN likes homeruns, but I like runners on base. You move that runner and we'll get along fine.

Home runs are a natural byproduct of better hitting. Lots of dudes on the Twins are just plain hitting the ball better. Moving the baserunner is great, but not at the cost of an out, which is what a pop fly or dribbly grounder or bunt gets you. Hit a good liner or home run and take care of moving the runner plus getting yourself on or scoring.

I honestly don't care what a dude does as long as it's not getting out.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

zapplez posted:

Eddie Rosario, Hunter Renfroe, Trey Mancini, Daniel Vogelbach, Kole Calhoun, Max Kepler,Jorge Soler. Either close to or on track for 35 this year. Not mean that in a mean way just a list of guys that arent celebrities, aren't all stars (or just once) and prev haven't had big home run seasons.

Why do you hate my Large Adult Sons

Sydin posted:

Yes I know Kyle's only hit 32 shut up.

This is extremely my jam

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

:golfclap:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

Home runs are a natural byproduct of better hitting. Lots of dudes on the Twins are just plain hitting the ball better. Moving the baserunner is great, but not at the cost of an out, which is what a pop fly or dribbly grounder or bunt gets you. Hit a good liner or home run and take care of moving the runner plus getting yourself on or scoring.

I honestly don't care what a dude does as long as it's not getting out.

Well yeah, but I was just trying to channel Gardy with a fake quote to see what he would say, my fault that wasn't clear.

What's interesting about this particular dingerball season is that you no longer seem to need to have Weaver's "that big cocksucker" to drive in runs. Guys like Yelich, et al, just seem to have ordinary bodies but with extraordinary skills and that's cool as poo poo.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

zapplez posted:

So is your point the juiced ball isn't helping, or that 35 is too high of a watermark to say "this is artificially inflating power numbers"

My point is none of them are that surprising outside of Kepler who never showed power like this before. The rest of them all have and just saying BALL is lazy and wrong.

Of course the ball is part of it, but like someone upthread said, they probably all would be 30ish hr hitters instead of 35ish hr hitters.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

the popes toes posted:

Well yeah, but I was just trying to channel Gardy with a fake quote to see what he would say, my fault that wasn't clear.

In retrospect I should have seen that. It's a super Gardy thing to say.

Also I hope in a couple years someone does an analysis like The Book did for early-00's ball, just to see how much the stats of bases-outs outcomes have changed n stuff.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/mark_melancon_/status/1168631387244679170?s=21

:smith:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Kevin Pillar hit his 20th home run yesterday. First Giant to do that since 2015, when Crawford hit 21.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Pussy Boss posted:

Kevin Pillar hit his 20th home run yesterday. First Giant to do that since 2015, when Crawford hit 21.

Another scrub helped by the juiced ball.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

rickiep00h posted:

Another scrub helped by the juiced ball.

You jest, but Pillar would have been a much better example then the other names that were being thrown around.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

RCarr posted:

308 games, 1931-33 Yankees. Current Yanks did 220 for 2nd.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 3, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RCarr posted:

That's the second place record. The longest streak without being shut out was the Yankees in 1931-33, 308 games.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

alpha_destroy posted:

You jest, but Pillar would have been a much better example then the other names that were being thrown around.

Or Christian Vazquez, of his 29 career HR, 19 have been this year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

extremely important question: since justus sheffield was pitching today when he was up to bat did he do the Sheffield Bat Waggle?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

alpha_destroy posted:

Even then I'm not convinced, to be honest. He has five more home runs compared to last year with about the same number of PAs and similar numbers in general. I can chalk that up to flukey wind patterns no problem. Though doing it in ORACLE PARK is a little suspicious.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

elentar posted:

If you hit 35 homers this year chances are good you’d’ve hit 30 in a prior year, and that’s never been shabby.

I’m still mystified that there won’t be anybody getting all that close to 60 this year.

i think a lot of the guys you'd expect to be capable of 50 in a normal year (and therefore threats for 60+ this year) have had injury problems--Khris Davis, Stanton, etc. So the high end is 35-40 guys like Trout are gonna hit fifty, 25 HR guys are hitting 30-35, 2 HR guys like Eric Sogard are going to hit 15, and so on.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Altuve just set a career high for dongs despite playing through injuries/being bad for much of the year on 220+ fewer PA than his previous high

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

never forget this unsurpassed moment of beefiness

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

never forget this unsurpassed moment of beefiness

Did you forget this?

https://sports.theonion.com/c-c-sabathia-prince-fielder-keep-imagining-each-other-1819569949

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rickiep00h posted:

Even then I'm not convinced, to be honest. He has five more home runs compared to last year with about the same number of PAs and similar numbers in general. I can chalk that up to flukey wind patterns no problem. Though doing it in ORACLE PARK is a little suspicious.

You have to recognize the rate in which long time home run records are being demolished this year means the ball is juiced right? Its not all better conditions / more true outcomes / different swing styles.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
the biggest key is the triple a home run numbers

People are gonna believe what they want but the ball is clearly optimized to fly further now. Doubting it is stupid.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
EDIT: Untrue and unfunny post about Yankees being scoreless in September
:wink:

Can't believe I thought it was September 1st

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Have there been any updates on Joc. He appeared to be in horrific pain.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Is there anyone anywhere saying the ball isn't juiced??

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

People are gonna believe what they want but the ball is clearly optimized to fly further now. Doubting it is stupid.

The dingerball is by design. It creates, in effect, a level playing field and so will reduce salaries.

If everyone can hit close to 40 a year, owners need not continue to pay for a skill set that now is not even a curiousity.

"Everybody hits 30 dingers a year. How does that make you special?"

In this Dingerball Era, I'm only going to be paying for pitching. We can solve the problem of pitching salaries on another day.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I don’t doubt owner perfidy in anything but the arbitration process in the short to medium term will reward players for their home run counts. Pitchers will get docked for higher ERAs and more blown saves.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

the popes toes posted:

The dingerball is by design. It creates, in effect, a level playing field and so will reduce salaries.

If everyone can hit close to 40 a year, owners need not continue to pay for a skill set that now is not even a curiousity.

"Everybody hits 30 dingers a year. How does that make you special?"

In this Dingerball Era, I'm only going to be paying for pitching. We can solve the problem of pitching salaries on another day.

Oh you want a 4 year deal and you're a pitcher? LMAO no no no, here's a 2 year deal with a mutual option. Like, you're gonna get hurt buzz.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It would be cool as hell to have Vogelbach and Schwarber on the Cubs at the same time. But the man was destined to be a DH.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

I don’t doubt owner perfidy in anything

Yeah, my dingerball paranoia is silly BUT, if fans are seen to like the new ball, owners will monetize it in every way possible, including salary perfidy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I just don’t think arbitration panels will respond to league adjusted statistics very quickly. In free agency, definitely.