Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Do people forget that Kyle Schwarber came back from a supposed season-ending injury he suffered in the 2nd game of the season, then mashed a .412/.500/.471 slash line in the first World Series the Cubs had been in since 1945, helping them get their first World Series win in 108 years? And you all wonder why Cubs fans like Kyle Schwarber? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Do people forget that Kyle Schwarber came back from a supposed season-ending injury he suffered in the 2nd game of the season, then mashed a .412/.500/.471 slash line in the first World Series the Cubs had been in since 1945, helping them get their first World Series win in 108 years? And you all wonder why Cubs fans like Kyle Schwarber? :confused:

Yeah, Schwarbs pretty much guaranteed himself a spot as a Cubs legend with that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

Nobody likes openers.

I'm curious to meet the fan who is just weirdly drawn to the idea of a reliever starting a game and chases it on MLB TV.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Poque posted:

I pulled the best and worst strikeout variances (pitching Ks - batting Ks) since 1960 and the Astros are in one hell of a window

2017 Astros: +506 (1593 - 1087)
2018 Astros +490 (1687 - 1197)
2017 Indians +461 (1614 - 1153)
2019 Astros* +410 (1410 - 1000)
1990 Mets +366 (1217 - 851)
1988 Red Sox +357 (1085 - 728)
2017 Red Rox +356 (1580 - 1224)
2013 Tigers +355 (1428 - 1073)
2018 Indians +355 (1544 - 1189)
2005 Cubs +325 (1256 - 920)
1992 Tigers -362 (693 - 1055)
2018 Rangers -363 (1121 - 1484)
2016 Brewers -368 (1175 - 1543)
1969 Padres -379 (764 - 1143)
2017 Rangers -386 (1107 - 1493)
2003 Reds -394 (932 - 1326)
2013 Twins -445 (985 - 1430)
1991 Tigers -446 (739 - 1185)
2013 Astros -451 (1084 - 1535)
2010 Diamondbacks -459 (1070 - 1529)

The 1992 Tigers only struck out 693 batters in a season. They averaged about 4 Ks a game, almost a full strikeout a game less than the next lowest team. 😨

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I'm curious to meet the fan who is just weirdly drawn to the idea of a reliever starting a game and chases it on MLB TV.

Me when it's a bullpen day

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Kyle Schwarber shook my hand before I got my world series ring so that's pretty cool

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

"mashed" now means 6 singles and a double

I get why fans love him, I don't even mind the guy, he seems cool.

But the talk of him (here) becoming elite was real among cubs fans and uhhh, he's just a solid hitter with poor defense; something he was probably always going to be!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Hello, please meet my son, Vogelbach Kikuchi.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

none of which has anything do with his continuing on-field and/or trade value

like I can understand being grateful to the guy for his contributions towards the WS but wanting to keep him on the team no matter what is pretty irrational based on his career production so far

if he was a random quad-A guy with a career 111 OPS+ and terrible defense in the OF no-one would think twice about sending him off in a trade even for a rental

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Six singles and one extra base hit in the postseason better put him in the hall

Fuckin Kirk Gibson hit an actual game winning home run on one leg

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Schwarber has a career 75 wRC+ vs LHP. He's a glorified platoon hitter the Cubs have to start almost every day anyway because basically all of Theo's touted big draft bats have flopped except Bryant.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

His defense isn't that bad for a LF. Have you guys seen the players starting in LF in this league?

Sydin posted:

Schwarber has a career 75 wRC+ vs LHP. He's a glorified platoon hitter the Cubs have to start almost every day anyway because basically all of Theo's touted big draft bats have flopped except Bryant.

He's improved to just about league average now. Usually takes lefties some time to improve on that. Remember Rizzo couldn't hit lefties for poo poo for awhile.

Schwarber has been real good at the plate this year, just incredibly unlucky.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Six singles and one extra base hit in the postseason better put him in the hall

Fuckin Kirk Gibson hit an actual game winning home run on one leg

kirk gibson's a pariah, baby boy

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Niwrad posted:

His defense isn't that bad for a LF. Have you guys seen the players starting in LF in this league?

He's improved to just about league average now. Usually takes lefties some time to improve on that. Remember Rizzo couldn't hit lefties for poo poo for awhile.

Schwarber has been real good at the plate this year, just incredibly unlucky.

He's 13th of 18 among qualified LF according to FanGraphs

and his "improvement" this year has been over 102 PAs against LHP

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Statcast's Outs Above Average has him as *peers at list* the worst outfielder in the National League

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
He's also fat. He's not Rowdy Tellez or Dan Vogelbach fat anymore but still fat

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

He's 13th of 18 among qualified LF according to FanGraphs

and his "improvement" this year has been over 102 PAs against LHP

He was good last year and mediocre the year before. Look at his 3 year average in LF. It's not that bad.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
He’s a bum

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zrPWk3YLGw

Been waitin on this one

e: also lol

https://twitter.com/jakemkaplan/status/1168970503337459713

He was suspended earlier for "violation of team rules". What'd he do? Here's the rumor:

"So here's the situation as recounted to us by a source with knowledge of the situation and not denied by multiple relevant parties:

Dean Deetz is a little bit of a character, and talks a lot of smack. He was giving Reymin Guduan The Bidness about not being able to throw a strike. Guduan responded by throwing a shoe at Deetz and missed (badly, apparently), to which Deetz responded "See?" That is legitimately funny. What happened next is not. Guduan picked up a bat, swung it, and hit Deetz in the head. Guduan apparently didn't get a great swing on it, but "it definitely dazed" Deetz.

Guduan was removed from the clubhouse, but came back later, this time with a knife. "He didn't do anything with it, but he stood at his locker and glared at Deetz." No one called the police, but the Astros did suspend Guduan. That, by any standard of the law, is assault. You'll notice on Round Rock's website that Dean Deetz did not pitch between July 26 and August 5, which was a span of eight games in nine days."

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 3, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Niwrad posted:

He was good last year and mediocre the year before. Look at his 3 year average in LF. It's not that bad.

...a total of -2.5 dWAR isn't that bad?

e: he had half-decent numbers last year because people were forgetting he's got a great arm and running on him

this year that's not happening which is robbing him of the only positive element of his defense

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
People getting upset about Cubs fans liking Kyle Schwarber despite his mundane stats makes me love Kyle Schwarber even more.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
It really is a shame we hype Schwarber instead of Rowdy Tellez because he looks like he runs a vape shop and his name is "Rowdy Tellez"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Schwarber makes a team that I hate actively worse, and the team's simple fans seem to love him for it. So really I can't complain.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It really is a shame we hype Schwarber instead of Rowdy Tellez because he looks like he runs a vape shop and his name is "Rowdy Tellez"

Also he's Jewish.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

See my avatar and text

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Yordan makes me very happy the Astros are in the AL

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zrPWk3YLGw

Been waitin on this one

e: also lol

https://twitter.com/jakemkaplan/status/1168970503337459713

He was suspended earlier for "violation of team rules". What'd he do? Here's the rumor:

"So here's the situation as recounted to us by a source with knowledge of the situation and not denied by multiple relevant parties:

Dean Deetz is a little bit of a character, and talks a lot of smack. He was giving Reymin Guduan The Bidness about not being able to throw a strike. Guduan responded by throwing a shoe at Deetz and missed (badly, apparently), to which Deetz responded "See?" That is legitimately funny. What happened next is not. Guduan picked up a bat, swung it, and hit Deetz in the head. Guduan apparently didn't get a great swing on it, but "it definitely dazed" Deetz.

Guduan was removed from the clubhouse, but came back later, this time with a knife. "He didn't do anything with it, but he stood at his locker and glared at Deetz." No one called the police, but the Astros did suspend Guduan. That, by any standard of the law, is assault. You'll notice on Round Rock's website that Dean Deetz did not pitch between July 26 and August 5, which was a span of eight games in nine days."

Wow. Bye Guduan

RIP my sarcastic "Good one" joke when he pitches poorly (basically every time he pitches)

Still doesn't beat Gilbert Arenas though

Reminder that Shawn Chacon assaulted Ed Wade once

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 3, 2019

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

GalacticAcid posted:

Schwarber makes a team that I hate actively worse, and the team's simple fans seem to love him for it. So really I can't complain.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I get irrationally loving a mediocre player on your team, i really do. I'd possibly take a bullet for Charlie Culberson but I'm not under the illusion that he's very good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Yordan makes me very happy the Astros are in the AL

Wow. Bye Guduan

RIP my sarcastic "Good one" joke when he pitches poorly (basically every time he pitches)

Still doesn't beat Gilbert Arenas though

Deetz doing the “See” after Guduan missed with the shoe sounds like it came out of Major League

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Schwarber couldn't be making our team worse because who the hell else is going to take his spot? We have like 100 outfielders rotating and none of them are very good. At least Schwarber has a positive WAR.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Deetz doing the “See” after Guduan missed with the shoe sounds like it came out of Major League

So does the bat and knife, if you only consider the first one

Didn't Rick Vaughn pull a knife? I can't remember, it's been awhile

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ok so we're all in agreement that Joe West is unable to go from a kneeling position to a standing position under his own power, right? That seems unbelievable but it's the only explanation here, right?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
In legit cool heartwarming news, Aaron Barrett is coming back to The Show

https://twitter.com/HbgSenators/status/1168999100945223680?s=19

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
What are some weird end of season things to look out for in September? The Angels can possibly become the first team ever to not have a pitcher throw 100 innings in a season. Right now Cahill is at 91.1, he threw 12.1 innings last month, maybe with September callups they'll give some rookies a shot out of the pen to see what they can do, but also maybe they'll need innings eaters as they shut guys down.

They're also not going to have a single 20 game starter, but with the opener thing that isn't quite as interesting a statistic.

I'm convinced that Justin Upton is actually the worst LF in baseball, he just makes so many bad plays that don't count as errors so it largely goes unnoticed. I think he was worst among Fielding Bible stats.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Wouldn't it make sense with the 40-man rosters to have an opener bat 3rd in your lineup at the home team? Then sub him out in the bottom half of the inning?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Wouldn't it make sense with the 40-man rosters to have an opener bat 3rd in your lineup at the home team? Then sub him out in the bottom half of the inning?

What would be the functional difference? If you keep your best hitter on the bench and then sub him in to bat third, you're still subbing out your 9 hitter. If you just put a pinch hitter in and keep the pitcher at the 3 spot, now that spot is a weakness in your lineup

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Good Dog posted:

What are some weird end of season things to look out for in September? The Angels can possibly become the first team ever to not have a pitcher throw 100 innings in a season. Right now Cahill is at 91.1, he threw 12.1 innings last month, maybe with September callups they'll give some rookies a shot out of the pen to see what they can do, but also maybe they'll need innings eaters as they shut guys down.

They're also not going to have a single 20 game starter, but with the opener thing that isn't quite as interesting a statistic.

I'm convinced that Justin Upton is actually the worst LF in baseball, he just makes so many bad plays that don't count as errors so it largely goes unnoticed. I think he was worst among Fielding Bible stats.

The Cardinals could go from most errors in baseball last year to fewest in baseball this year, assuming I didn’t just jinx them.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Niwrad posted:

hitters don't get fatigue in the same way pitchers do, in fact them getting more ABs through a game is better for them as they get to see the opposition pitcher more times

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Intruder posted:

What would be the functional difference? If you keep your best hitter on the bench and then sub him in to bat third, you're still subbing out your 9 hitter. If you just put a pinch hitter in and keep the pitcher at the 3 spot, now that spot is a weakness in your lineup

Well you wouldn't use your best pinch hitter unless you had a couple runners on. I guess the difference is that you move the pitcher slot down so your follower won't have an at-bat for a couple innings. Basically cutting the percentage of times you may have to let your pitcher hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Well you wouldn't use your best pinch hitter unless you had a couple runners on. I guess the difference is that you move the pitcher slot down so your follower won't have an at-bat for a couple innings. Basically cutting the percentage of times you may have to let your pitcher hit.

At the expense of having a hole in your lineup at the three spot instead of the bottom

Unless you're planning to pinch hit every time the pitcher's spot comes up, and even then your bench guys aren't going to be as good as your best hitters