Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I kept digging and the Astros had three top five finishers in 99. Hampton, Billy Wagner, and LIMA TIME BAP BAP BAP

Randy won the top spot of course, there's no hope against prime Randy

The race between Randy and Hampton was much closer than it should have been in votes because lol pitcher wins

Hampton was 22-4 and Randy was 17-9, but Randy had a 9.1 bWAR to Hampton's 6.7 (yes I know pitcher WAR but whatever)

e: thought for sure the mid 90s Braves would have that going on but the closest they got to that was 95 where something called Pete Schourek finished 2nd ahead of Glavine while Maddux won the whole thing

Maddux/Glavine were 1/2 in 92, but Maddux was still a Cub

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

RIP BAP BAP BAP :(

e: oh yeah, that was the year Hampy and Lima both had 20+ W but Randy struck out 360+ :lol:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

divx posted:

Sam Holbrook is the crew chief for the Braves vs Cardinals series :lol:

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1178801826679922689?s=20

No Joe, Angel, or CB for this series somehow :popeye:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Randy Johnson still remains my favorite pitcher I've ever watched. Felix is up there but Prime Randy with his mullet was just a delight.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Greinke and Kershaw were 2/3 in 2015 because of that rat bastard Arrieta

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Astros-era Justin Verlander has turned into my favorite pitcher ever. He is so utterly dominant in 90% of his starts and it's going to suck when he finally declines. His WHIP this year was .803.

*checks what the Tigers return pieces for Verlander are doing*

Oh. Hmm, well that was a massively one-sided trade.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The further back I go the more infuriated I become by pitcher wins

Flanagan winning in 79 and Guidry coming in third :laffo:

And Jim Kern, my goodness

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 1, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I saw that list and was like "I don't recognize a single name here, thank god"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/1178788975051493377

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

loving goddamn Yankees

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ok, finally found one. The last teammates prior to Randy/Schilling to finish 1/2 in cy young voting were Mike Marshall and Andy Messersmith in 1974

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

I saw that list and was like "I don't recognize a single name here, thank god"

I recognize Jerry Meals, for blowing that walk off safe call at home plate where the runner was out by 10', and only because I can vividly hear the Pirates commentator yelling "You've got to be kidding me Jerry Meals"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good Dog posted:

I recognize Jerry Meals, for blowing that walk off safe call at home plate where the runner was out by 10', and only because I can vividly hear the Pirates commentator yelling "You've got to be kidding me Jerry Meals"

Or was it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABX_zW-6Kc

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Good Dog posted:

Have you considered that Jerry Meals is innocent and got the call right 🤔

e: gently caress I was beaten so I am editing the video out for space conscious reasons. See above.

Also, Sam Holbrook is probably fine in that I mostly recognize him for just that one ludicrous call but please don't troll me, MLB.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

You can clearly see Lugo's uniform move from the tag

granted that doesn't help Jerry Meals

e: Kept watching, Meals agreed you can see Lugo's uniform move. Not done yet though

If you take impact into account for bad missed calls it doesn't come close to Denkinger though

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 1, 2019

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Intruder posted:

You can clearly see Lugo's uniform move from the tag

granted that doesn't help Jerry Meals

e: Kept watching, Meals agreed you can see Lugo's uniform move. Not done yet though

Like, realistically he's out but it is waaaaaay closer than anyone gave it credit for. You see the ball beat the runner by that much and you just assume that he's out as gently caress.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Sure but that's still how I recognize Jerry Meals on the umpire list. He may have made the right call, that was wayyyy closer than it had any right to be, but he himself thinks he missed it now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Squall posted:

Like, realistically he's out but it is waaaaaay closer than anyone gave it credit for. You see the ball beat the runner by that much and you just assume that he's out as gently caress.

That's true but I still think he's out

It was a bad tag, if you're not going to try to throw anyone else out why bother sweeping like that when the ball beats Lugo by so much? Should have just put the glove in his chest

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Intruder posted:

That's true but I still think he's out

It was a bad tag, if you're not going to try to throw anyone else out why bother sweeping like that when the ball beats Lugo by so much? Should have just put the glove in his chest

He should have fired the ball immediately to first after the tag where he would have easily had the double play on Scott Proctor, who ate poo poo out of the batter's box.

But he should have first actually tagged Lugo lmao.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Squall posted:

He should have fired the ball immediately to first where he would have easily had the double play on Scott Proctor, who ate poo poo out of the batter's box.

But he should have first actually tagged Lugo lmao.

He didn't even look at first base or rush in any way even before hearing the safe call

I just watched this video a few minutes ago too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV-xfaFl9ws

lol this is great

By far my favorite part of it was this incident which I had never seen before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSLJu2tgOPc

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of legendary bad calls

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1178726340704423936

https://twitter.com/Astros_Arsenal/status/1178730682786439170

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What's worse, losing a perfect game on a bad call or losing what would have been the final out of the World Series on a bad call and then ending up losing the series? Denkinger still wins

e: oh my god I Mandela Effected the poo poo out of that, I always thought there were two outs, that would have been the first out? Mind blown

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 1, 2019

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Intruder posted:

He didn't even look at first base or rush in any way even before hearing the safe call

Yeah, that was my point, it boggles my mind that he doesn't even consider going to first.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
My favourite part of the Meals debate is that it would still be safe today with replays :flipoff:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah but what I said was haven't won a playoff series. Idk what point you're trying to make but the Braves haven't been relevant for a long time, which is what I also said.

They're a competitive franchise who haven't experienced the crushing depths of failure like, say, half of baseball has in the last 20 years.

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlanta_Braves_seasons#Record_by_decade

You can see their win percentage by decade (last time they lost 100 games was 1988! 88!) - they've been winners overall each decade since the 80s, and even then, they weren't so bad they got a movie about their historic failure.

The Braves are one of the teams that, in recent history, has done well and generally been successful.

I dig that you love the team, though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1178804881865490432

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Nice, I guessed he’d get six for 180.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

The further back I go the more infuriated I become by pitcher wins

Flanagan winning in 79 and Guidry coming in third :laffo:

And Jim Kern, my goodness
Old awards voting is so soooooo bad. Some day it’d be a fun offseason project to go back through and reconstruct MVP and Cy Youngs to 1901 based on our better modern understanding of the game. Ruth would probably end up with 8-10 MVPs.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

tbh if Minnesota can beat the Yanks in the LDS I'll be rooting for them to take it all

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What the article doesn't tell you is that 150 million of it is deferred

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Ummmmm..... :stare:

https://twitter.com/philgrogers/status/1178808739794751490?s=20

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bryant for Correa

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

What is this, the fourth year in a row that there have been reports they could trade Bryant?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Bryant for Correa

Who says no

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Red posted:

They're a competitive franchise who haven't experienced the crushing depths of failure like, say, half of baseball has in the last 20 years.

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlanta_Braves_seasons#Record_by_decade

You can see their win percentage by decade (last time they lost 100 games was 1988! 88!) - they've been winners overall each decade since the 80s, and even then, they weren't so bad they got a movie about their historic failure.

The Braves are one of the teams that, in recent history, has done well and generally been successful.

I dig that you love the team, though.

I mean, the Braves aren't quite some long suffering franchise. They've done well in the regular season most years, they won 14* division titles in a row between 1991-2005. They went to the World Series 5 (!) times during the 90s, even if they were only successful once.

Our recent postseason history isn't that great, though. We joke about the fact that the Nationals have never won a postseason series. Here are the last 8 postseason series of the Braves:
code:
2002: NLDS vs. Giants - Loss 3-2
2003: NLDS vs. Cubs - Loss 3-2
2004: NLDS vs. Astros - Loss 3-2
2005: NLDS vs. Astros - Loss 3-1 (18 innings)
2010: NLDS vs. Giants - Loss 3-1 (Brooks Conrad please)
2012: NLWC vs. Cardinals - Loss (Infield Fly)
2013: NLDS vs. Dodgers - Loss 3-1
2018: NLDS vs. Dodgers - Loss 3-1
Including the 2001 NLCS that the Braves lost 4-1 to the Diamondbacks, that's 9 postseason series lost in a row. I'd wager that that is Not Great. However, I'd say that we are way luckier as Braves fans than, let's say, Mariners fans whose postseason series starting from 2002 (the start of the Braves streak of not winning a single series) are as follows:
code:

Squall fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 1, 2019

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
If they win the nlds this year its literally the most successful braves season since 9/11. I'd take it

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the rays are fuckin done fellas, pack it up

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1178825398802534400?s=19

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Old awards voting is so soooooo bad. Some day it’d be a fun offseason project to go back through and reconstruct MVP and Cy Youngs to 1901 based on our better modern understanding of the game. Ruth would probably end up with 8-10 MVPs.

Here's a good one

1970 MVP winner Boog Powell: .297/.412/.549 (drat good year), 35 HR, 114 RBI, 104 BB, 5.1 bWAR
4th place finisher Yaz: .329/.452/.592, 40 HR, 102 RBI, 128 BB, 9.5 bWAR

But Boston finished 87-75 and Baltimore finished 108-54

e: Ernie Banks finished 12th in MVP voting in 69 with -0.7 bWAR hitting .253/.309/.416

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 1, 2019

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

seiferguy posted:

Randy Johnson still remains my favorite pitcher I've ever watched. Felix is up there but Prime Randy with his mullet was just a delight.

One of my all time favorite non-Indians baseball moments was him going down to the bullpen in game 5 of the 1995 ALDS and then coming in to an insane crowd reaction. They started yelling the moment he walked down to that bullpen and went apeshit when he came to the mound.

That and when he struck out the last batter of the game to beat the Angels and send the Mariners to the playoffs in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sadly the infield fly rule game was during my lapse in baseball fandom so I can't actually get that worked up about it but it does look like some bullshit.