Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Lost in the juiced ball chat is that Tommy La Stella benefited from it probably more than any other hitter and would be a 30 homer guy if he didn't break his leg on a foul ball. 10 HR in 947 PA across 5 seasons and hit 16 HR in 312 PA this year before getting hurt. HR/FB% of 2.9% vs 13.6% over those spans.

Regular playing time helps but doesn't help that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
What are some weird end of season things to look out for in September? The Angels can possibly become the first team ever to not have a pitcher throw 100 innings in a season. Right now Cahill is at 91.1, he threw 12.1 innings last month, maybe with September callups they'll give some rookies a shot out of the pen to see what they can do, but also maybe they'll need innings eaters as they shut guys down.

They're also not going to have a single 20 game starter, but with the opener thing that isn't quite as interesting a statistic.

I'm convinced that Justin Upton is actually the worst LF in baseball, he just makes so many bad plays that don't count as errors so it largely goes unnoticed. I think he was worst among Fielding Bible stats.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

But what about Nick Swisher's and Robinson Cano's options?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Molly Knight might be able to shitpost better than me, but she makes an actual salary while I get but 2 cents for a take. So on a poo poo post per dollar I'm actually on top.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

MM works because we can still insouciantly call it the Juice Box, idk what WSox fans do with Guaranteed Rate Field

"The Cell", I think. Short for US Cellular. I still call the venue where the Anaheim Ducks play The Pond even though its been over a decade since it changed from Arrowhead Pond to Honda Center.

Pancakes posted:

Based on my experience, either they don’t attend or don’t exist. That being said, tonight is another Bark at the Park night! Who wants pictures of baseball dogs tonight?

I wish the Angels had a Bark at the Park night. I want pictures of you living my dream.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

habeasdorkus posted:

Of the 50 hardest hit balls in play this season:
10 outs
20 singles
10 doubles
10 HR
.800 BABIP
1.600 SLGBIP
2.400 OBPSBIP

Conclusion: Get players who hit the ball 115.3 mph or harder.

I've solved Baseball, everyone, you can go home now.

A home run is not a ball in play thus this doesn't make any sense. :colbert:

I wonder if any foul balls were hit over 115.3 mph, are these listed on baseball savant or only in obituaries?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
If you walk a dude on 4 pitches any pickoff attempt is a balk. You had your chance to get him out and you blew it, this is almost always a stall tactic to get a different handed pitcher up and ready in the bullpen too.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I still wish the Angels went with Eric Chavez and will be really mad when they fire Ausmus for Maddon.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Every year there are like 3-4 likeable teams that I say 'yeah cool I wouldn't mind them winning' and every single year they're the first teams out of the DS.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
A super utility guy that doesn't play shortstop hardly counts. Therefore David Fletcher, who actually plays good defense, is the #1 super utility guy. Plus he is under 6' tall so he gets extra 'white and scrappy' points.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

I saw that list and was like "I don't recognize a single name here, thank god"

I recognize Jerry Meals, for blowing that walk off safe call at home plate where the runner was out by 10', and only because I can vividly hear the Pirates commentator yelling "You've got to be kidding me Jerry Meals"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Sure but that's still how I recognize Jerry Meals on the umpire list. He may have made the right call, that was wayyyy closer than it had any right to be, but he himself thinks he missed it now.