Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Got home just in time to see the tail end of the Cubs/Mariners game, apparently we brought up the dude we traded Edwards for, some 6'9" dude name Wieck which is really loving confusing because we already have a bullpen arm named Wick.

Anyway he can do this apparently, which is cool:

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1168635198071803906

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
IMO Ketel Marte is the poster child for the juiced ball helping out guys by turning soft liners that would be caught into hard liners for XBH's, at warning track flyouts into dingers. He was a middling .700's OPS guy for his entire career, and now this year he's got 28 HR's (more than his previous four seasons combined), OPS'ing .952, and a low key NL MVP candidate with 6.0 bWAR. If you look at the underlying numbers his K/BB is almost identical to last year, he's just making way more hard contact than previous year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
To be fair to Soler his issue up to this year was a crippling inability to stay healthy. Scouts were pretty agreed that he had power potential for days, he just needed to stay on the field and get AB's. This is Soler's sixth year in MLB and he's literally had a third of his career AB's this year (499 in 2019 out of 1501 total).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

what joe schmose are hitting 35???

Yes I know Kyle's only hit 32 shut up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Mercy rules are dumb and shouldn't exist just because Aaron Boone got his feelings hurt

If there's a mercy rule, it should only be invoked by having the entirety of the losing dugout and bullpen walking around the bases each person waving a white flag. This includes coaches and clubhouse attendants

The defeated team that wants to invoke the mercy rule must pass under a yoke constructed out of their own bats.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

Kyle Schwarber should really be a DH at this point. The Cubs should let their large lad run free in the AL pastures.

I mean yeah probably, but I'm not sure what tantalizing trade offer they're going to get for a platoon-hitting DH with a career .814 OPS. I doubt Theo is going to offload him for a bag of baseballs, and unless they actually do go out and sign Castellanos who is 100% guaranteed to turn into a pumpkin the second he inks his overpay deal it's not like the Cubs have anybody better ready and waiting to replace him in LF.

Also Chicago would riot even though Schwarber has been a fairly pedestrian player so far in his career, and I assume the last thing the FO wants right now is more heat from fans.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hey remember when Schwarber had like 40 games under his belt in which he looked incredible, was lit as hell in the 2015 post season, and was still mostly just glowing scouting reports?

I mean yes he hasn't lived up to any of it at all post-2016, but claiming it's dumb a fanbase didn't want to trade a top prospect who'd just had a fantastic MLB debut for a two month rental is a weird take.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thom P. Tiers posted:

No?

Literally everything said his defense was trash and his bat was going to be about as good as it is now. Which is fine. He's a fine player. But everyone here (cubschat) destined him for elite stardom and everyone wanted to keep him around no matter what.

He was graded at 60/65 Hit/Power in 2014. Scouts absolutely though his bat was better than it's been. He also had a 131 wRC+ in his debut season and absolutely raked in the post season. My apologies if we were a little high on him at the time. :rolleyes:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Cubs posters think anybody who wears their uniform and doesn't hate gays or beat women (a small number) is going to the hall of fame given the chance.

Let me tell you about Descalso's historic ability to hit in the clutch.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Schwarber has a career 75 wRC+ vs LHP. He's a glorified platoon hitter the Cubs have to start almost every day anyway because basically all of Theo's touted big draft bats have flopped except Bryant.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GalacticAcid posted:

The Mets are still good

:wrong:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GalacticAcid posted:

If the Mets sell low on Díaz and the loving Cubs or Cardinals get him I’ll light myself on fire

If anything I expect the Mets to continue to think they're good and go hilariously overpay Cole in the offseason to replace Wheeler, only for him to immediately catch :mets: and turn into a pumpkin on a six year deal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GalacticAcid posted:

deGrom, Cole, Syndergaard, Matz, Stroman would be possibly the greatest rotation of all time. It's idiotic to think they wouldn't be good if they signed him.

I have no faith in the Mets to keep any pitcher both good and healthy for any extended period of time. deGrom is the sole outlier in a rotation of guys who have died, turned into pumpkins, or both in the past ~5 years.

Put Syndergaard on the Dodgers or Astros and let an FO with actual good pitching analytics work with him for five minutes he'd probably catapult up to a top 3 arm in baseball. Hell the Mets are in complete agreement with me on that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
FWIW I do think that if there was ever a time for the Angels to make a big splash, it would be trying to land Cole this offseason. Cole's originally from SoCal, the Angels are in desperate need of starting pitching (Skaggs :smith:) and the clock is ticking on wasting the primes of Ohtani and Trout. Their division is brutal but if they can put a quality rotation on the field I could see them having a solid post season chance.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm legit excited for the BART extension to (hopefully!) be opening this winter so I can get A's Access for next year and go watch and actually good team with cheap beer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Has there been any kind of deep dive into what the hell is up with Edwin Diaz? I know bullpen arms are fickle at best, but he went from insanely dominant to -0.6 bWAR. His velo is unchanged and his K/BB numbers are almost perfectly in line with what he did last year, but he's just been lit the gently caress up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

So basically he's lost his command, particularly on his slider, and hitters are punishing him for it. That's fair enough I guess, and not all that out of the ordinary for a hard throwing 25 year old.

It's kinda wild how both of last year's Reliever of the Year winners completely collapsed this year. n/m I'm a moron

Sydin fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 4, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh yeah duh n/m, for some reason I had it in my head Diaz and Treinen were the winners, but that's impossible because Diaz was in the AL last year. :downs:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Goddamn that Cubs 2016 rotation was so good. Even loving Hammel managed to look like an ace until the weird second half potato chip thing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Since July 1st Kyle Schwarber has a higher wRC+ than Paul Goldschmidt, Gleyber Torres, Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez, Nolan Arenado, and Max Muncy:

https://twitter.com/mauro_erik/status/1169224410206789632
https://twitter.com/mauro_erik/status/1169224564943085570
https://twitter.com/mauro_erik/status/1169225200304611330

This has been your Cubs FactTM for the day.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Michael Lorenzon got the win in relief, hit a home run and then played left field tonight.

First player to do it since Babe Ruth apparently. I'm sad that Ohtani didn't hit this milestone first tbh.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Enjoy it while it lasts because next year the September 40-man roster expansion is officially :rip:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1169634666078441474

I don't see Strasburg actually leaving the Nats so much as I see him trying to negotiate a better deal, but he would certainly shake up the FA market for starters, which currently sits at "Gerrit Cole, and uh..."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Reading this as "If we can't make the playoffs then gently caress you"

e: beaten

It's also going to make Manfred's head explode which is okay in my book.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

Yankees haven't won the world series in over 10 years.

Hopefully we can keep the streak going and go for 11.

mastershakeman posted:

:alert: new co-worker who is an ancient old person is convinced steroids didn't help anyone hit home runs because muscles don't let you see the ball!!

Argument right now is that neither bonds nor mcgwire benefited from roids

I'm in awe

Personally I'm annoyed at how much the seeing the ball well era ruined the sanctity of the sport, all these guys who saw the ball so well don't deserve the hall imo, unfair to the other guys who couldn't see the ball as well as them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I'm really hoping he's going to be a huge add next year when he gets a normal season's ramp up and spring training. Kinda starting to feel like this year is a write off though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

So why, exactly, are MLB umpires accountable to no one no matter how obviously and quantitatively terrible they are

They have a very strong union and represent a fairly small labor pool. From what I understand umpires are graded behind the scenes and there is some incentive to do well as it plays into who gets on post season umpiring crews, but it doesn't sound like there's any form of relegation or discipline for being particularly awful.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

Work public sector

Can confirm.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

This professional sports union that represents like 80 people making an average of $200K a year sucks, therefore all unions are bad. :hmmyes:

Unfortunately that's probably what most people think, yes. :(

Hell even taking the umpires union into account the good of unions and their ability to shift some of the overwhelming power advantage that employers naturally hold back to employees is worth every ounce of the bad side of unions and then some. Part of my job is banging my head against four different unions to get things done and yeah sometimes it's loving insufferable how incompetent and insubordinate people can be because they know the union will get them off the hook for any consequences, but the alternative is a right to work hellscape where wages are even more stagnant and the average person has even less job security.

Anyway sorry I know this isn't D&D but wanted to make sure I'm clear my take wasn't meant to be anti-union.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/TonyAndracki23/status/1170429280427360259

Say hello to Cubs everyday starting shortstop Addison Russell! :tif:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

:lol: Almora is leading off for the Cubs today

Who gives a poo poo? If Javy's season is over so is the Cubs' regardless of who Joe's dart lands on his lead off dartboard. No matter how many smug dipshits I'm seeing online with their nice hot "Good thing we didn't run Russell out of town like those libs wanted :smug:" takes, you can't plug him in to Javy's spot and expect this team to be competitive.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sydin posted:

Say hello to Cubs everyday starting shortstop Addison Russell! :tif:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

https://twitter.com/ExposerFan/status/1170770300612554752

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Today's game sucked and the Cubs season is pretty much over but lost in that was Danny Hultzen finally pitching in the Majors for the first time, after almost nine years of his career being derailed by one injury after another. This is a guy who was drafted second overall between Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer. HBP and a single, but then K'd the next three guys for a scoreless inning:

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1170855999667916801

So that's :unsmith: if nothing else.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

So we're bringing up a kid from AA to play SS despite the fact that he's a 2B/OF, and who had his wrist broken earlier this year by a HBP and has subsequently slugged ~.300 in the minors as a result?

Cool, I hope he stuns everybody by actually being good down the stretch, or at least good enough Theo realizes keeping Russell is unnecessary.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Dodgers have been pretty bad recently.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Javy out for the regular season, which means the season

https://twitter.com/CarrieMuskat/status/1171214968630501376

:rip:

That said 2020 could legitimately be a really good season if we make decent offseason moves. Fingers crossed we don't throw a $200M contract at Castellanos and watch him turn into a pumpkin.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
When I went to a couple Cubs spring training games a few years ago there was a drunk Cubs fan at the urinal next to me loudly complaining that Sloan completely missed the "authentic Wrigley experience" and cited its lack of piss troughs as an example. Troughs are, apparently, how true fans relieve themselves.

As an aside Sloan was actually really really nice and I wish it was feasible for me to actually take a decent chunk of time off to go down there for spring training.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wow what the gently caress that sucks.

This feels like a really bad year for injuries all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I find it weird and honestly kind of creepy how much people seem to obsess over Vázquez and his sister's relationship. Like yeah it's kinda bizzare but who gives a poo poo, as long as he ain't hurting anybody focus your scrutiny over players' interpersonal relationships on guys who should be run out the sport and into a jail cell for domestic abuse.