Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

2 run dong off Giles for the win is pretty funny

Less funny is not scoring until the 9th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

uggy posted:

Thank god for the silver lining of your cy young pitcher throwing a no hitter, tough to see through the darkness of shutting out the other team

Yeah it's pretty rough :smith:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Vogelbach looks like the robot from Big Hero 6 when it was stuffed into the armor

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Altuve just set a career high for dongs despite playing through injuries/being bad for much of the year on 220+ fewer PA than his previous high

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

never forget this unsurpassed moment of beefiness

Did you forget this?

https://sports.theonion.com/c-c-sabathia-prince-fielder-keep-imagining-each-other-1819569949

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What if they were using deadballs for a few years to help people forget about the steroid era and now they've just returned to normal

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

"Not enough bunts" lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:getout:

This guy gets it. Altuve also gets it, which is why he bunts all the time and it’s awesome.

I love when my .908 OPS second baseman bunts into an out

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mercy rules are dumb and shouldn't exist just because Aaron Boone got his feelings hurt

If there's a mercy rule, it should only be invoked by having the entirety of the losing dugout and bullpen walking around the bases each person waving a white flag. This includes coaches and clubhouse attendants

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bewbies posted:

still not sure there's been a more mediocre and more discussed player in here than that dude

for some reason

He's a big pudgy slugger and this is SAS

See; Daniel Vogelbach

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's called an enlarged heart and it's nothing to wish for

I wonder if Cole gets a third month as well?

4G 3-0 2.36 ERA 26.2 IP 40K 15H 4BB

Missing two starts might cost him though

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 3, 2019

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This is me right this second learning his name is spelled Willson

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Niwrad posted:

His defense isn't that bad for a LF. Have you guys seen the players starting in LF in this league?

Yordan makes me very happy the Astros are in the AL

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zrPWk3YLGw

Been waitin on this one

e: also lol

https://twitter.com/jakemkaplan/status/1168970503337459713

He was suspended earlier for "violation of team rules". What'd he do? Here's the rumor:

"So here's the situation as recounted to us by a source with knowledge of the situation and not denied by multiple relevant parties:

Dean Deetz is a little bit of a character, and talks a lot of smack. He was giving Reymin Guduan The Bidness about not being able to throw a strike. Guduan responded by throwing a shoe at Deetz and missed (badly, apparently), to which Deetz responded "See?" That is legitimately funny. What happened next is not. Guduan picked up a bat, swung it, and hit Deetz in the head. Guduan apparently didn't get a great swing on it, but "it definitely dazed" Deetz.

Guduan was removed from the clubhouse, but came back later, this time with a knife. "He didn't do anything with it, but he stood at his locker and glared at Deetz." No one called the police, but the Astros did suspend Guduan. That, by any standard of the law, is assault. You'll notice on Round Rock's website that Dean Deetz did not pitch between July 26 and August 5, which was a span of eight games in nine days."

Wow. Bye Guduan

RIP my sarcastic "Good one" joke when he pitches poorly (basically every time he pitches)

Still doesn't beat Gilbert Arenas though

Reminder that Shawn Chacon assaulted Ed Wade once

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 3, 2019

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Deetz doing the “See” after Guduan missed with the shoe sounds like it came out of Major League

So does the bat and knife, if you only consider the first one

Didn't Rick Vaughn pull a knife? I can't remember, it's been awhile

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Wouldn't it make sense with the 40-man rosters to have an opener bat 3rd in your lineup at the home team? Then sub him out in the bottom half of the inning?

What would be the functional difference? If you keep your best hitter on the bench and then sub him in to bat third, you're still subbing out your 9 hitter. If you just put a pinch hitter in and keep the pitcher at the 3 spot, now that spot is a weakness in your lineup

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Well you wouldn't use your best pinch hitter unless you had a couple runners on. I guess the difference is that you move the pitcher slot down so your follower won't have an at-bat for a couple innings. Basically cutting the percentage of times you may have to let your pitcher hit.

At the expense of having a hole in your lineup at the three spot instead of the bottom

Unless you're planning to pinch hit every time the pitcher's spot comes up, and even then your bench guys aren't going to be as good as your best hitters

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It inserts a glaring weakness in what's supposed to be the heart of your lineup just to get one less pitcher AB when you could easily pinch hit anyway

I bet Tony LaRussa would try it though

Is it worth getting one less AB for the pitcher if it also means getting one less AB for Rizzo or Bryant?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 3, 2019

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Never forget the standard bearer

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Found Out About You

Gerblederp posted:

Very much appreciating seeing people talk about my Large Balding Son, Rowdy Tellez

He's got some beef but comes up a little short of big boi standards

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

To be fair, the big league Mets only recorded one ninth inning out and the scoring only stopped because the game was over so they arguably did have the bigger bullpen breakdown

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

*without affect* dodger dogs all day

Does it count if you quit eating it 2/3 of the way through?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

not necessarily, because the first guy has a .150 ISO while the second guy has a .250 ISO. They both get on base at the same rate, but one hits for more power.

owned

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

If you live in NY and you're not making jokes about the Mets and Jets you're just not fully embracing the NY experience. And I say that as a Jets fan.

And I say THAT fully expecting to be the brunt of a Jets joke. Because that's just the way it is.

Surely this is the year Brady declines

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Arguably the least believable part of Avengers Endgame was the part where they're in the support group and talk about missing the Mets

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

And they have the best stadium in baseball to boot

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Reading this as "If we can't make the playoffs then gently caress you"

e: beaten

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Lumpy posted:

The late 60s and early 70s, when the smog laden air reduced the ability of hitters to see the ball well, was truly a pitcher friendly time.

The 20s where in addition to being, you know, deadballs, spitballs were legal and the balls were the color of tobacco spit

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's an extremely lovely take in a sport where prospects make poverty wages, the best players have their primes eaten up for pennies on the dollar, and veterans are increasingly unable to get big contracts because of the previous fact

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

ok bye Carlos I guess, re-sign Springer instead

Toro's looking better after his slow start, he's not in Correa's league but you could do worse than Bregman/Toro at SS/3B if he ends up being a .270/.320/.450 type hitter

Wasn't Correa's previous agent Boras? This is actually good from the Astros perspective of being able to keep him

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I would think his advice would be "Sign a big rear end contract with whoever gives you the most"

He didn't exactly part with the Yankees on the best terms

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The only thing I remember from The Dugout anymore is BUH BUH BUH BENNY AND THE JETS

e: and I guess HEY GUYS IT'S JI

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

What's the opposite of quoting?

not quoting

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tonight was an extremely and painfully Joe West game

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Did he fall onto his back and require assistance to roll over, lest he die of dehydration?

I said West, not Mitch McConnell

Nothing like seeing a pitch two inches outside and two inches low get called a strike, then a pitch over the middle that catches the bottom of the zone called a ball, rinse repeat like thirty times

e: The M's should be absolutely embarrassed to lose this game, except for the fact that with Joe behind the plate anything is possible

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 6, 2019

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

"Had a great career"

I guess that's true from the job side of it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Robo umps won't change anything because the home plate ump has final discretion and you know Cowboy Joe is going to override as many close calls as possible

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tonight is Framber Valdez vs TBD

Put all your cash on TBD

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Joe West's calls may be terrible but have you considered he makes a lot of them?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's because players get released when they're terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Pussy Boss posted:

This professional sports union that represents like 80 people making an average of $200K a year sucks, therefore all unions are bad. :hmmyes:

Except police unions which are good, obviously