Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pryce posted:

I threw a very temporary hotfix into this coming Tuesday's patch for this. Disabled the left and right spawns for now so that it's at least completable. We'll get a real fix out sometime after that so that we can turn all the droids back on.

Oh that Pryce, always trying to turn the droids on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Well I attended Swtorista's birthday party in-game event thing, because why not, and it was pretty entertaining. Had a mount-off, went Hutt racing (forgot to take a screenshot though), walking across that secret nigh-invisible bridge on Belsavis followed by mass suicide in the lava (intentional), and having a big colour-coordinated glowstick party on Imperial Fleet followed by yet another mass suicide on Belsavis against the WB (not so much intentional).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That looks fun. I will have to try find that bridge sometime.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I have such interesting companion bugs pop up from time to time.

Zenith is packin'.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

That looks fun. I will have to try find that bridge sometime.
Here's a video that shows where it is and how the regular approach (it's also possible to sort of Super Mario your way to the datacron) can be fairly pants-browning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HnzrjP2ixQ&t=181s

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
So I played through three of the basic class stories on the F2P side of things, and now I'm considering picking this up once I get paid. Are there any good packs or bundles out there for this or should I just subscribe for a month?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ironslave posted:

So I played through three of the basic class stories on the F2P side of things, and now I'm considering picking this up once I get paid. Are there any good packs or bundles out there for this or should I just subscribe for a month?

If you google SWTOR Origin Bundle there's a 60 day bundle for $30 (same price as regular 60 day bundle) that also includes some cartel coins.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Medullah posted:

If you google SWTOR Origin Bundle there's a 60 day bundle for $30 (same price as regular 60 day bundle) that also includes some cartel coins.

Would that lock me into having to use the Origin Launcher? Would prefer to avoid that if possible, but it would be too good to pass up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ironslave posted:

Would that lock me into having to use the Origin Launcher? Would prefer to avoid that if possible, but it would be too good to pass up.

Nah it just gives you a key code you input into SWTOR.com.

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/offer-selection

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Is it possible to get the seasonal rewards more than once? I accidentally claimed the mount on my Sith when I wanted it on my Bounty Hunter as I didn't realise it was a one time thing

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Miles O'Brian posted:

Is it possible to get the seasonal rewards more than once? I accidentally claimed the mount on my Sith when I wanted it on my Bounty Hunter as I didn't realise it was a one time thing

Yep, go to collections (Ctrl+C) and you can unlock any GS rewards for 10cc

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Miles O'Brian posted:

Unless you happened to have claimed it prior to the 7.0.1a patch released yesterday, then no - but not to worry! All the non-consumables that don't come from the free Cartel items go into your Galactic Seasons collection, and there you can unlock each (companion + customisations, mounts, armour, weapons) for your entire legacy for just 10 Cartel Coins.

edit: curses !!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

You may have been like me and thought "sweet, a cross-guarded saber that I won't have to blow a billion credits on"

:saddowns:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cross-Section posted:

You may have been like me and thought "sweet, a cross-guarded saber that I won't have to blow a billion credits on"

:saddowns:

owned

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I mean, it's still a badass saber with some cool effects

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And the minigun that came in the same reward claim is pretty dope as well

Unfortunately it just so happens that I have a lot of dope miniguns sitting in my legacy hold, should have respecced more characters to Commando :argh:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I really love the rotary miniguns so the one on the track is great. I just wish the actual abilities of Commando didn't look so dumb. Here's a glob of energy! Here's another glob of energy! Here's a bunch of globs of energy!

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I'm hyped to finally do a trooper now that I can make them an operative. I ruined Vanguard and Commando by playing Bounty Hunter as my main. Nothing will ever hold up to the pure audiovisual feelgoods of pressing Rail Shot

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Miles O'Brian posted:

I'm hyped to finally do a trooper now that I can make them an operative. I ruined Vanguard and Commando by playing Bounty Hunter as my main. Nothing will ever hold up to the pure audiovisual feelgoods of pressing Rail Shot

Good news! The VA’s each do their own sinister chuckles when stabbing a fool!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I, too, chuckle when Rail Shot procs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cross-Section posted:

And the minigun that came in the same reward claim is pretty dope as well

Unfortunately it just so happens that I have a lot of dope miniguns sitting in my legacy hold, should have respecced more characters to Commando :argh:
Stick them all on the Rodian bodyguard companion.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Finally created a DS Knight to rush finish the Jedi Knight storyline and get my Legendary Player mouseover status. Being able to play a Vengeance Juggernaut from the get-go was more fun than I'd had with the Knight before the changes. Loading up the dots and watching everybody explode in sparks is a lot of fun.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Medullah posted:

Yeah I really love the rotary miniguns so the one on the track is great. I just wish the actual abilities of Commando didn't look so dumb. Here's a glob of energy! Here's another glob of energy! Here's a bunch of globs of energy!

the globs were what made me not play that class / faction

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Trooper always seemed like a weird class to me in the past, even though I love their armor/look. My idea of a trooper is a guy with a rifle who is shooting long-range. The long-range version of a trooper that would have seemed ideal for this instead gets to lug around a handheld cannon which doesn't seem great for a soldier that is running and on the move constantly through battle. Not sure if there are ways around this now that allow a trooper to at least look like they are firing a normal rifle, or if that option will soon exist with the weapon designer changes that I have heard about. The vanguard being more melee made even less sense to me than the cannon-lugging commando. Now that a trooper can be a sniper I can get behind playing the class.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

wazu posted:

Trooper always seemed like a weird class to me in the past, even though I love their armor/look. My idea of a trooper is a guy with a rifle who is shooting long-range. The long-range version of a trooper that would have seemed ideal for this instead gets to lug around a handheld cannon which doesn't seem great for a soldier that is running and on the move constantly through battle. Not sure if there are ways around this now that allow a trooper to at least look like they are firing a normal rifle, or if that option will soon exist with the weapon designer changes that I have heard about. The vanguard being more melee made even less sense to me than the cannon-lugging commando. Now that a trooper can be a sniper I can get behind playing the class.

I picked Lethality Operative for my new trooper. You do most of your killing with the rifle and grenades. It feels right.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

wazu posted:

I think it's partially due to the vibe of The Clone Wars, where beating a B2 to scrap with your rotary cannon was just a thing that happened.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hey Pryce, do you guys have a fix for the Gemini Captain fight? I know you made some adjustments but I'm still seeing a lot of bummed out people who can't get past it. :(

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i havent played this in like 5 years but installed it again after playing Fallen Order a lots different, i get most of it but i dont understand why i can make a imp character who has the repub classes or style i guess theyre called now but i CANT make a repub character with the imp classes

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

Hey Pryce, do you guys have a fix for the Gemini Captain fight? I know you made some adjustments but I'm still seeing a lot of bummed out people who can't get past it. :(

Did this a few days ago. The fix for me was to get Senya to 15 influence. Not ideal, but if you run into anybody struggling that was the magic number for me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kly posted:

i havent played this in like 5 years but installed it again after playing Fallen Order a lots different, i get most of it but i dont understand why i can make a imp character who has the repub classes or style i guess theyre called now but i CANT make a repub character with the imp classes
Check which classes you have already finished the class stories for?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kly posted:

Tech classes have access to all 8 Combat Styles from the beginning. In order to access the Jedi/Sith Force Combat Styles on the opposite faction you have to have the appropriate achievement for Light 5/Dark 5 Alignment. So you likely have Light 5 but not Dark 5.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

thanks, i have another question. there used to be a way to select light or dark alignment i think it was just a button near the minimap. i dont have that anymore did they change this?
im on a new character, does it unlock later?

Kly fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 21, 2022

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kly posted:

thanks, i have another question. there used to be a way to select light or dark alignment i think it was just a button near the minimap. i dont have that anymore did they change this?
im on a new character, does it unlock later?
That button was from the old light v dark event which has been removed with the current expansion. I think you earn alignment points through companion diplomacy missions and specific flashpoints now?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

how is the last xpac/dlc being received?

is the class change thing cool? i just ate a 6 month sub to this game i forgot to cancel so, hey, i might be back!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Worf posted:

how is the last xpac/dlc being received?

is the class change thing cool? i just ate a 6 month sub to this game i forgot to cancel so, hey, i might be back!

The story is very brief, basically better referred to as DLC than a full expansion, but hopefully we'll see more installments regularly. The "class change" is really just allowing your character to switch back and forth between two "Combat Styles" (previously Advanced Classes) and separating them from the story, so you can create a Sith Inquisitor who is a Juggernaut and a Marauder if you want, with the ability to add Jedi if you've hit Light 5.

A lot of people are angry at Bioware because they assumed the changes would allow them to pick and choose what abilities and weapons they used (A Powertech who uses a Sniper rifle, for example) which is dumb because the game just isn't built to support that kind of flexibility.

They removed a bunch of abilities or made it so you have to choose between them at certain levels, which I wasn't real keen on at first but now that I've played it a bit it's actually really cool and in my opinion actually ADDS a lot of versatility to classes.

Overall the people that are saying this is the worst expansion ever are long time players who want things to change dramatically while remaining the same, or people who think that their playstyle is the way that all players play so the things they're mad about everyone else MUST be mad about. Endgame gearing is a clusterfuck but honestly I'm fine with it because 90% of the player base shouldn't care about gearing in the slightest.

There are definitely some bugs that annoy me that I hope get fixed but overall I'd say if you haven't played in a bit, hop in and see what you like. The only really, really awful thing to me is leveling from 1-30 now, since they removed abilities and moved others to higher levels, it's a slog with very few abilities to use.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Medullah posted:

The story is very brief, basically better referred to as DLC than a full expansion, but hopefully we'll see more installments regularly.
At this point it seems reasonable to view the expansions as more of a "season pass" for a year or so than the traditional mass-drop stuff.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Cool, sounds reasonable thanks for the write up

It sounds awesome to switch to be able to do a different role, is it easy to do on the fly like in WoW or nehh

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Worf posted:

Cool, sounds reasonable thanks for the write up

It sounds awesome to switch to be able to do a different role, is it easy to do on the fly like in WoW or nehh

Super easy. You have 10 different "loadouts" which are preset with gear and abilities so you can go from one spec to another (or even the same spec with, say, PvP options). The downsides to it is you can't swap at all while in an instance (Flashpoint, Operation, PvP) and you can't swap while you're in queue for anything either. You also need to actually have the gear you want for the loadout on you, it won't pull it from storage.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

At this point it seems reasonable to view the expansions as more of a "season pass" for a year or so than the traditional mass-drop stuff.
Probably, although I expect the past two COVID-ridden years hit the team particularly hard. It seems fairly obvious that 7.0 would've included a fair amount of additional content otherwise, what with at least the new daily area and Operation being delayed until 7.1 and of course the weapon outfitter as well (although supposedly that's coming out with 7.0.2 one of these weeks, so hurrah for that).

I have to say that Galactic Seasons is a really good trick to keep people playing even in the absence of actual new content, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Medullah posted:

Overall the people that are saying this is the worst expansion ever are long time players who want things to change dramatically while remaining the same, or people who think that their playstyle is the way that all players play so the things they're mad about everyone else MUST be mad about. Endgame gearing is a clusterfuck but honestly I'm fine with it because 90% of the player base shouldn't care about gearing in the slightest.

This is kind of glossing over some actual issues with the update, and you tend to always dismiss endgame issues as something no one cares about but I think that's kind of misguided--anyone that wants to raid in anything beyond story mode is going to be affected by end game gearing changes.

Anyway, the patch is... fine. There are some really frustrating things about it.

Mostly, it's frustrating they added a ton of grinding to the game but no new content. Expecting people to grind old content to get their gear back in line with where it was pre-update is lousy. There were supposed to be Manaan dailies which clearly were meant to be the best source of Aquatic Resource Matrices but those dailies don't exist so like, I hope you like CZ-198.

The ability pruning is whatever. It hurts some classes a lot, most classes are basically fine. Mercenary/Commando DPS is extremely bad right now and so is Carnage, everything else is mostly fine.

Healing is a lot weaker compared to 6.x which is mostly fun, there are real heal checks now. Except every AoE heal check is trivialized because Operative/Scoundrel healers have one absolutely broken ability for AoE heals. Which makes them basically mandatory and also very boring for certain fights, though you can still play the proper kolto-probe/HoT management style to great effect outside of those one button rotation situations.

Weapon outfitter being delayed and mods only going up to 306 is kind of a big deal. It makes all the expensive fancy Cartel weapons useless in any real content and even in relatively easy content it's not unreasonable to want to be able to use gear that is on level for your character.

Loadouts are great, combat styles are nice. I like both of these. The implementation with groupfinder is very badly thought out. You can't swap specs even within a combat style while queued for groupfinder or in a gf flashpoint or op. So that means if I'm waiting for queue to pop as a healer, I can't swap to dps and knock out some of those mandatory Dailies/Heroics efficiently while I wait. I have to stay on heals. Or if someone drops group midway through I can't swap to cover their role. It's dumb and clear downgrade from 6.x where at least you could swap specs within your Advanced Class as needed.

All in all it's certainly not the worst update ever but it is extremely underwhelming. There's effectively no new content outside of a buggy flashpoint. Class changes seem ill thought out and have completely removed Merc DPS from being competitive in operations. AP Powertech is still strong but has no actual tactical and is using Overwhelming Offense for lack of a real option. It's now harder to cover for someone abandoning group or misqueing in groupfinder. The endgame raiding community was always small but it's shrunk dramatically since the update and I don't think that should be just shrugged off and dismissed as utterly unimportant.