Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Gyshall posted:

I'm legacy level 11 and a subscriber, and haven't purchased any legacy unlocks. What are the best things to get? I have two characters at level 50 and want to complete the story with all the classes (one day)

Legacy Travel, the Quick Travel one, and the full Rocket Boost line have been very handy from the Global Unlocks(Account Wide) while finishing the class stories. From the Character Unlocks(per character) Priority Transport: Personal Starship is helpful. Just know you sometimes have to go to the actual ship through a spaceport/docking area for the odd quest, so just step out the airlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
ROCKET.
BOOTS.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Rocket Boots are your only respite from the most miserable message of all, 'You cannot mount in this area'

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Fuzz posted:

ROCKET.
BOOTS.

dromal phrenia posted:

Rocket Boots are your only respite from the most miserable message of all, 'You cannot mount in this area'

All of this, to the Millionth Power.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Rocket Boots acquired.

What's the optimal way to level characters? I'm really interested in all the content... But I'm like 59 in a 29 zone. It seems like the auto level stuff is effective but even still, feels weird because I'm not getting gear upgrades.

I'm trying to stick to the story content and whichever heroics I come across.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Rocket Boots acquired.

What's the optimal way to level characters? I'm really interested in all the content... But I'm like 59 in a 29 zone. It seems like the auto level stuff is effective but even still, feels weird because I'm not getting gear upgrades.

I'm trying to stick to the story content and whichever heroics I come across.

Do the planetary missions.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you’re 59 in a 29 zone I don’t think you need to worry about leveling anymore. Just sticking to the critical path will give you all the xp you need up to the end of the game from here so just do whatever looks fun.

As for gear, buy a set of adaptive gear and fill it with level-appropriate mods from the fleet vendor. You shouldn’t need to worry about it beyond that.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Thanks for the tips. Lastly... Any recommendations on how to distribute crew skills across all my characters? Or at least a good primer/read up on them

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Thanks for the tips. Lastly... Any recommendations on how to distribute crew skills across all my characters? Or at least a good primer/read up on them

If you’re over leveled for an area you don’t have to worry about gear...being lvl synced will cap your stats to max as long as you’re wearing anything. This includes Flashpoints and PvP.

Gear will matter at 75 where you want 306 rated gear ASAP to get Veteran’s Edge stacks, Set Bonus, and a Tactical.

For Crew Skills take Scavenging, Archaeology, and Slicing on your first character then whatever. Crew Skills are fluff for casual play.

Also Doubke XP for the next month.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Does double exp stack with the exp boost consumables?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

dromal phrenia posted:

It stacks with everything except Rested XP.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

dromal phrenia posted:

It stacks in that you get an additional 25% to base XP and an additional 100% to base XP, so you'll have 225% of your base XP.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Medullah posted:

It stacks in that you get an additional 25% to base XP and an additional 100% to base XP, so you'll have 225% of your base XP.

Ok, not as overpowered as I hoped. It's still nice that it stacks though.

Time to level up every class! In every spec!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The "best" way to level is to literally just do your character's class storyline. It keeps you at about the right level for every planet all the way along. My first character of each faction I did *everything* with and I hit cap stupidly early. I think my Warrior was level 75 on Belsavis.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

The "best" way to level is to literally just do your character's class storyline. It keeps you at about the right level for every planet all the way along. My first character of each faction I did *everything* with and I hit cap stupidly early. I think my Warrior was level 75 on Belsavis.

I haven't found that I've been able to get by literally by only doing the class missions (even with legacy and consumable boosts) but if you also do the story flashpoints that come up along the way (marked with a purple icon like esseles/black talon, taral V, the forge, etc) it covers a lot of the gap. I've needed to do some minor amount of side content to keep leveled but not a ton.

Of course double xp changes things, that should give you more than enough without having to grind.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

I say this every time and everyone always tells me I'm wrong. I feel like I'm doing something different than everyone else. Maybe it's just the subscriber bonus I have that covers the gap?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pryce posted:

I say this every time and everyone always tells me I'm wrong. I feel like I'm doing something different than everyone else. Maybe it's just the subscriber bonus I have that covers the gap?

Arquinsiel posted:

It's the "best" in that you get to see all the content, but it's definitely not the fastest. That honor belongs to straight up chain running heroics and maybe some Veteran flashpoints. No running from point to point, no dialogue, just teleport to each one.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pryce posted:

I did it as preferred :shrug:

Medullah posted:

It's the "best" in that you get to see all the content, but it's definitely not the fastest. That honor belongs to straight up chain running heroics and maybe some Veteran flashpoints. No running from point to point, no dialogue, just teleport to each one.
The problem there is you need to have gotten to a story point to unlock the heroics for that level. It means you at least need to shoot through the core story.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

I did it as preferred :shrug:

The problem there is you need to have gotten to a story point to unlock the heroics for that level. It means you at least need to shoot through the core story.

No you don't, you just have to be the proper level. I've got characters at max level that don't even have their ships, though I generally do at least the first two planets so I can use summons as needed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
How are you levelling at all without doing the first two planets?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

How are you levelling at all without doing the first two planets?

I do as much of the first planet as necessary to get to level 10, and at that point you can go to the fleet and get all the missions there and it's game on

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

The idea of a character that just teleports around from the fleet, and does not have a ship and has not achieved any notoriety at all, yet is extremely powerful, is pretty drat funny to me.

Probably fits for an Imperial Agent, although that'd be a shame since apparently their story is the best, or near the best.

A baby sith warrior keeps Baras waiting while he devastates every heroic mission, flashpoint and raid :xd:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

dromal phrenia posted:

The idea of a character that just teleports around from the fleet, and does not have a ship and has not achieved any notoriety at all, yet is extremely powerful, is pretty drat funny to me.

Probably fits for an Imperial Agent, although that'd be a shame since apparently their story is the best, or near the best.

A baby sith warrior keeps Baras waiting while he devastates every heroic mission, flashpoint and raid :xd:

One of my Marauders is a Master's Datacron character and is still on the first mission on Korriban. :D

Edit - and he's in full gold amplifiers with optimized stats.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Medullah posted:

I do as much of the first planet as necessary to get to level 10, and at that point you can go to the fleet and get all the missions there and it's game on
Are you using the per-character XP perks via the legacy bank to do that? If so, we may have found why rando newbies are not able to level that way.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I'm using the double XP event to knock out all the main stories finally. Is the Republic side generally regarded as way less intriguing than the Empire side? I can't tell if I'm burned out, or if it's just the Consular.

Incidentally, it's really hard to make a dark side Consular work narratively. I ended up just doing light side stuff most of the time because nothing really jelled the other way.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Consular is often considered the least fun story by a lot of people although some like the focus on being more of a diplomatic Jedi. I did try a DS Consular way back and yeah, it doesn't really work all that well.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Also in the Jedi Consular story, the bad guy is always eluding your grasp just as you close in. Of course there's a story-based reason for that but from a player experience standpoint it feels bad, man.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I thought Consular was one of the more interesting stories, but I didn't try to play it dark side. Shame about the voice acting though, it's a real waste of a Nolan North. Fortunately you can hear him elsewhere

I didn't really like the knight or trooper stories very much. I don't remember much of the smuggler story at all apart from a general sense of it being disconnected from the greater Happenings going on in the story and never finding a reason for my character to care about them. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it makes it confusing for why they'd show up for any of the events after the class story

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Also in the Jedi Consular story, the bad guy is always eluding your grasp just as you close in. Of course there's a story-based reason for that but from a player experience standpoint it feels bad, man.

I never got that feeling. In act one, you're confronting people controlled by the bad guy and it's only after facing all of them that you piece together who and where the bad guy actually is. And in act three the big obstacle is again trying to figure out who the bad guy even is, defeating his pawns and protectors one by one.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I never got that feeling. In act one, you're confronting people controlled by the bad guy and it's only after facing all of them that you piece together who and where the bad guy actually is. And in act three the big obstacle is again trying to figure out who the bad guy even is, defeating his pawns and protectors one by one.

It's been a while so I'll take your word for it, but I definitely remember the feeling that the protagonist was constantly being outmaneuvered because the bad guy had inside information.

The Sith Sorceror story is probably the craziest...you eat a bunch of Sith ghosts to become more powerful but then you get too full and almost die. So then you learn a magic trick to eat a whole bunch of ghosts and then you become powerful enough to defeat Darth Whatsisname.

The Smuggler story was hilarious for the part in Tattooine where you could hit on a Jedi and she's utterly oblivious to your flirtations.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
I came back recently to finish the class stories after a long, ~6 year break. I only had Inquisitor, Smuggler, and Consular to finish. So maybe being distant from the rest helped, but I loved the Consular story. It's a good feeling bringing these groups together (has to be cramped on my ship when they all bunk for the night) and then the final act is leading this force into battle.

I think what really helped was I was playing the Female Consular because both Male Jedi voices are terrible. There's still a serene monk vibe, but lots of good line readings.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Cythereal posted:

The Consular story is actually one of the best crafted. I don't think people like it because they want to be Luke Skywalker, not a diplomat.

Seventh Arrow posted:

The Sith Sorceror story is probably the craziest...you eat a bunch of Sith ghosts to become more powerful but then you get too full and almost die.

I like the part where the ghosts try to rebel, and you're all like "Bitch...SIT!"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DryGoods posted:

(has to be cramped on my ship when they all bunk for the night)

That's one of the things I liked about the consular story, all the little NPCs you pick up along the way actually show up and hang out on your ship and make it feel lived in (or at least, this is my memory of it, it has been years). The ship feels so empty for all the other classes, I always kind of wished it did the mass effect thing of populating the ship with nameless crew members beep booping on consoles or walking back and forth and saluting you or something.

It makes sense for some of the classes, like BH and smuggler, but that trooper ship really feels like it's meant to have more people on it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Seventh Arrow posted:

It's been a while so I'll take your word for it, but I definitely remember the feeling that the protagonist was constantly being outmaneuvered because the bad guy had inside information.

I've played the Consular story twice, and yes the bad guy has inside information. That's why he's the bad guy, you're trying to hunt down a spy who's infiltrated the Jedi Order. The story arc is all about building up to catching, exposing, and defeating him.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

XBenedict posted:

I like the part where the ghosts try to rebel, and you're all like "Bitch...SIT!"

lol yeah and then there's also that one Sith guy who can't stop talking about snakes

I swear someone was high when they were writing that dialog

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

XBenedict posted:

The Consular story is actually one of the best crafted. I don't think people like it because they want to be Luke Skywalker, not a diplomat.
I didn't really like it because of the characters. I did play as the female Consular, but everything still felt really bland and emotionless to me (which, I know, is like the whole Jedi Thing but it's not very fun). The councillors on the ship were fine. But I also didn't really like any of the companions. I never really cared where any of their arcs were going, and Theran is horrendous, especially if you're playing as a woman. Weird dialogue about "female intuition" and little dislike notifications from him any time I was even cordial to another man during our shipwide conference calls, yikes.

Although I think as a whole, I'm just not into anything to do with the Jedi - I haven't done the Knight story yet either but I doubt it'll make me come around on the order. I've started a Smuggler and I'm enjoying it though. I think the story is at its best when it's looking at how badly the two factions are run and what goes on outside of the force.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

womb with a view posted:

I didn't really like it because of the characters. I did play as the female Consular, but everything still felt really bland and emotionless to me (which, I know, is like the whole Jedi Thing but it's not very fun). The councillors on the ship were fine. But I also didn't really like any of the companions. I never really cared where any of their arcs were going, and Theran is horrendous, especially if you're playing as a woman. Weird dialogue about "female intuition" and little dislike notifications from him any time I was even cordial to another man during our shipwide conference calls, yikes.

Although I think as a whole, I'm just not into anything to do with the Jedi - I haven't done the Knight story yet either but I doubt it'll make me come around on the order. I've started a Smuggler and I'm enjoying it though. I think the story is at its best when it's looking at how badly the two factions are run and what goes on outside of the force.

It is arguably the worst companion set. There's no defending that mob. Qyzen is the only interesting one. Unless you pork Nadia later in the game

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Dark side smuggler was alright because it felt largely like I was running around in the background of the other stories so I could set up my criminal empire and profiteer off the war.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

XBenedict posted:

It is arguably the worst companion set. There's no defending that mob. Qyzen is the only interesting one. Unless you pork Nadia later in the game

It is amazing how they dumped like 5/6 weakest companions all on one class.

Even Qyzen is barely interesting, he just actually has something going on. Other than him you have 'huge creep', 'gritty revolutionary', 'Some guy' and 'Your Padawan you get like 2 planets before the story ends'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Preechr posted:

Dark side smuggler was alright because it felt largely like I was running around in the background of the other stories so I could set up my criminal empire and profiteer off the war.

Yeah the pirate king/queen ending is one of the cooler ones. I don’t know why they even give you other options frankly, you’d have to be a real nerd not to pick it.