Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

One thing I've noticed coming back to this game from WoW is buttons, I have lots of them. Are pretty much all abilities useful or are their some that you don't even really need to keep on your action bars?

I haven't had any issues facerolling quests yet, but in pvp especially I feel like it would be great for me to have some kind of basic dps rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You definitely don't need to use all the buttons, some are used in one spec but not others. Or they're used only in PvP (roots and slows).

What class and discipline are you using?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Medullah posted:

You definitely don't need to use all the buttons, some are used in one spec but not others. Or they're used only in PvP (roots and slows).

What class and discipline are you using?

Mostly playing my merc BH. I picked Arsenal as the subclass. I need to read up on the disciplines, I don't really remember them from last time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Mostly playing my merc BH. I picked Arsenal as the subclass. I need to read up on the disciplines, I don't really remember them from last time.

Arsenal is a really easy one to learn and has minimal button presses. You won't be using things like Explosive Dart or Fusion Missile in your rotation, for example, where Innovative Ordinance does use those two to spread DoTs.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

One thing I've noticed coming back to this game from WoW is buttons, I have lots of them. Are pretty much all abilities useful or are their some that you don't even really need to keep on your action bars?

I haven't had any issues facerolling quests yet, but in pvp especially I feel like it would be great for me to have some kind of basic dps rotation.

I just switched from defense guardian to vigilance and the first thing I did was clear my bars and look at a guide for the rotation and then added some stuff like rocket boots and fleet pass.

Cut the buttons down about 40%.

Nice to kill things so quickly too.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So do I just suck or is spirit of vengeance solo mode just way over tuned? My companion can't keep up healing if there's more than like 4 silver mobs attacking. Also everyone is just a bucket of hp so combat takes forever. I really just hope I'm doing something wrong though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Elblanco posted:

So do I just suck or is spirit of vengeance solo mode just way over tuned? My companion can't keep up healing if there's more than like 4 silver mobs attacking. Also everyone is just a bucket of hp so combat takes forever. I really just hope I'm doing something wrong though.

Yeah, there were a slew of fixes for it scheduled for the patch last week, but it got delayed due to the hellstorm in Texas.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Has there been any news on rescheduling that yet? I certainly don't fault them for the delay with that mess, but I'm admittedly curious when we'll see the patch as well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mind over Matter posted:

Has there been any news on rescheduling that yet? I certainly don't fault them for the delay with that mess, but I'm admittedly curious when we'll see the patch as well.

Not yet. It even messed up their event schedule, was supposed to be Bounty Week but it's Gree.

In other news, Anthem Next is cancelled, but SWTOR got a shout out for being alive!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My first character picked up a bunch of orange drop stuff that I held onto "because" and I've started to look at using it on newer characters. I've realised that I've gotten into a loop of checking the prices on GTN, realising that it's 80mil for a pistol, considering hanging onto it to sell next time I sub, and then going "the only reason I want credits is to buy cool cosmetics anyway and this is one". It's weird.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

That raises an interesting question. I've had this account since beta and it's mostly been sitting unused. Are there any old things in particular that I should check my inventory for that is worth a lot?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Anything that used to be orange, but is now blue. Check the price on GTN and prepare to be amazed/ingly disappointed.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Mind over Matter posted:

https://twitter.com/SWTOR/status/1365360985993662464

Tuesday!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I've been in a Star Wars mood and on a whim downloaded this game again. I bought the CE when it came out and played to level 55-60ish a number of years ago (maybe 5?). Looks like I have 11000 or so cartel coins for some reason. Any recommendations on how to spend them?

I'll probably just start a new character from scratch since I have no idea how to play my older characters. I'm thinking gunslinger smuggler, or maybe jedi guardian or sith juggernaut.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I started the War on Iokath story and immediately had to choose between Republic or Empire and sat there for 10mins before hitting ESC and logging out.

Curse you choice paralysis.

How much does this choice matter?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Not at all. You can pick again every day IIRC.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Arquinsiel posted:

Not at all. You can pick again every day IIRC.

It matters for the story the first time you do it, not so much for the daily area choice later on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

For Iokath -

Imperial - Kill Jace Malcolm and recruit Quinn as a companion.

Republic - Kill Acina and recruit Elara Dorne as a companion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

grah posted:

It matters for the story the first time you do it, not so much for the daily area choice later on.
The only lasting effect is the companion you get, because the story assumes that someone did the other side too anyway.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Medullah posted:

For Iokath -

Imperial - Kill Jace Malcolm and recruit Quinn as a companion.

Republic - Kill Acina and recruit Elara Dorne as a companion.

hmmm... I don't really like the top two, but do like the bottom two which makes this a tricky choice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Note: if you're a Sith Warrior, you can get both companions if you side with the Republic - Quinn will betray the Empire for you.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I gotta do that one with my Sith Warrior just so I can finally kill Quinn. It may be petty but I'm willing to accept that about myself.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

womb with a view posted:

I gotta do that one with my Sith Warrior just so I can finally kill Quinn. It may be petty but I'm willing to accept that about myself.

The nice thing is you can do Iokath without starting KOTFE, so characters that you don't want to auto complete your class story on but still want to run Iokath can. It's a bit bizarre because it ASSUMES you did KOTFE for the story, but still doable.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yikes. The new Character Sheet UI with Amplifiers is rough....and it sounds like feedback was entirely negative on the PTS. :( Not good that they ask for feedback and then don't follow it...or at least post why they did what they did.

But overall a great patch with some really cool tweaks

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah. Feels like a change was made simply for the sake of taking up more real estate. Not sure what the supposed benefit of it is?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Yikes. The new Character Sheet UI with Amplifiers is rough....

Yeah...it really needs to be collapsible. I was also hoping they'd clean them up and get rid of some of the jank like having Tech on hilts and Force on barrels.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Yeah...it really needs to be collapsible. I was also hoping they'd clean them up and get rid of some of the jank like having Tech on hilts and Force on barrels.

I've heard it goes away if you click an outfit slot, but haven't checked that yet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It does, but it comes back once you head back to the screen with the actual items you have on. Stupid decision entirely TBH.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah it's a bad one. Most people don't care about amplifiers, so I suppose it's their attempt to get people to buy into the credit sink. Props to them for the thought, since we need more credit sinks, but it just failed in execution. I actually do care about amplifiers, but I wouldn't roll them from that screen - I roll from the item itself to make sure I'm doing the right one.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Not having played all that much in the past year or two, and with that not having really bothered with amplifiers, I actually appreciate having this clear overview of all bonuses. I do agree that the window is rather oversized as a result, though, and that you should be able to just hide the amplifier list. It's not something I find overly bothersome, however.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Not having played all that much in the past year or two, and with that not having really bothered with amplifiers, I actually appreciate having this clear overview of all bonuses. I do agree that the window is rather oversized as a result, though, and that you should be able to just hide the amplifier list. It's not something I find overly bothersome, however.

The biggest issue I have with the list isn't really new, it's that it's not very clear which amplifiers are on each item - so if you pull up the list and see a sub-optimal one, it could be something in your inventory, not something equipped.

That said, I think I win.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Medullah posted:

The biggest issue I have with the list isn't really new, it's that it's not very clear which amplifiers are on each item - so if you pull up the list and see a sub-optimal one, it could be something in your inventory, not something equipped.
Oh I was just levelling a new character with items in his inventory yet, didn't realise it wasn't restricted to what you've actually equipped. That does seem odd and counterproductive, honestly.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

That said, I think I win.

Wow, look at this peasant with a green amplifier.

I mentioned it in discord but that new opulent skiff is actually boardable when placed as a decoration, with the control for the door/shielding interactable inside.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

Wow, look at this peasant with a green amplifier.

I mentioned it in discord but that new opulent skiff is actually boardable when placed as a decoration, with the control for the door/shielding interactable inside.

That green amplifier is actually a BiS Amplified Champion piece. :P

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok so I reactivated me account but a few things confuse me.

Is companion gear now just for looks?

Do I lose my companions at some point?

I resubbed and can make a high level character with a token or something. I've read this is bad to do as it skips the story and titles and such. Is this true?

Anything really cool I should consider buying in the cartel market either for me or for resale? I have like 10k for some reason (looks like years of having a security token mostly).

I've read that crafting skills have changed quite a bit, but at the surface it seems the same. Are crafting skills worth bothering with?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

That window only shows equipped, not inventory. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying?

(Also yes, the window should be collapsible, it's being changed.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pryce posted:

That window only shows equipped, not inventory. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying?

(Also yes, the window should be collapsible, it's being changed.)

Oh does it? I apologize then. Did you guys post on the forums that it's being changed? Holy poo poo there are some people butthurt about it. My favorite -

quote:

"Just to explain my frustration.

My Character IS the only thing that's valuable to me in an MMO. So my Character Page is one of my main UI Windows that I open and look at while playing. Especially while levelling an Alt.

The former Character Screen was minimalistic in the sense that you had all the info you needed, with an Amplifier Button if you wanted to Min/Max your Stats. The layout was also perfect. Accessories on the left, Gear on the right and Weapons at the Bottom.

I really don't know why they would go out of their way and actually pay someone to ruin the otherwise perfect layout of the Gear and the overall feel of the Page, but also screw with the Amplifier List, making it visible at all times (I don't know if it's a bug, please tell me.) New players are going to get immensely confused when opening it up for the first time now, since there's no early explanation of Amplifiers and you don't need them before you want to Min/Max at lv 75 either.

I also feel like the visuals are a downgrade, making your somewhat low-res Character HUGE so you can see all the pixelated textures is such a weird change. And the background looks lazy, the former background behind your Character was darker and simple, which made your Character pop out of the screen more. Now it looks like a basic wallpaper from any MMO made before 2010.

I wasn't expecting ANYTHING from this update, yet it still let me down big time. I am never going to get used to this new UI and I sincerely hope they revert it."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
All of those points are correct, but man is he mad about it :stare:

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

Did you guys post on the forums that it's being changed? Holy poo poo there are some people butthurt about it. My favorite -

Nah this is way funnier.

NOTE IF ANYONE FINDS THIS: THAT WAS A JOKE

Actual answer: I don't know, I was stuck in a deep dark hole researching some other crazy bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pryce posted:

Nah this is way funnier.

NOTE IF ANYONE FINDS THIS: THAT WAS A JOKE

Actual answer: I don't know, I was stuck in a deep dark hole researching some other crazy bugs.

I do love the bugs that randomly pop up after patches. I don't get angry like the forum denizens, I laugh because I feel your pain, being in software myself. The weirdest poo poo happens.