Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i've been working in a coworking space for a few weeks. I have 0 professional or social media interactions with the other people in the office, but I just checked linkedin's suggested connections and a bunch of them are there "based on your profile". i assume this was done by ip crossreferencing but it was weird as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yep.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
was chatting with new roommates today and one of them told me he spent two years working for amazon labeling and fixing mistakes Alexa had made

as in, listening to everything people had said to alexa and finding errors

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

animist posted:

was chatting with new roommates today and one of them told me he spent two years working for amazon labeling and fixing mistakes Alexa had made

Presumably the apps which resell all your email data read a bunch of people's emails to get it right.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Delete your social media and stop using chrome.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
its me, im the guy who cant understand why anyone ever bought an alexa in the first place

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

George posted:

its me, im the guy who cant understand why anyone ever bought an alexa in the first place

so you can turn all the IoT lights in your home to "party mode" on voice command and impress your date

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
don’t install spying devices in your house.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

so you can turn all the IoT lights in your home to "party mode" on voice command and impress your date

I prefer the Skyrim "You should not have come here" attack mode.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If you are a brand you may be intersted in the "ability to understand high-value consumers across anonymous touchpoints, providing a critical first step to a holistic view of their journey"

Don't worry though

quote:

Protecting consumer privacy is paramount. Tapad has been privacy-first from the beginning and has an ongoing commitment to transparency, user control, and user privacy with full disclosure as to the data collected, processed and stored.

there should be a rule where if you say you have full disclosure but 0% of your subjects know about it because you're lying you get fined into oblivion.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pointsofdata posted:

If you are a brand you may be intersted in the "ability to understand high-value consumers across anonymous touchpoints, providing a critical first step to a holistic view of their journey"

i read this as 'ballistic view' and honestly it still makes sense for creepy web crap and the way itll track you down to push ads at you

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

people installed video doorbells on their houses and ended up giving police direct video feeds of their neighbors

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

people installed video doorbells on their houses and ended up giving police direct video feeds of their neighbors

is it the amazon thing cops had to peddle to residents

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol those dumb cameras, despite cops here accessing them and months of reports they cant catch the same three people rummaging in cars

the pearl clutching is amazing though as people are aghast that someone would, get this, try to open car doors and take change

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

its like that twilight zone episode where the neighbors turn on each other during a power outage as each new report claims neighbors knew they didnt lock there car that day and specifically went through their very visible bag. how else would anyone know it was there?!?!?!

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

George posted:

No my dude, for that is me.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

The conversation needs to recast phones as neural prosthetics, and spying as invasion of the mind. This app is selling my thoughts to the highest bidders

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

pointsofdata posted:

i've been working in a coworking space for a few weeks. I have 0 professional or social media interactions with the other people in the office, but I just checked linkedin's suggested connections and a bunch of them are there "based on your profile". i assume this was done by ip crossreferencing but it was weird as gently caress.

These people may have tried to look you up. Or they may have uploaded their entire address book to automate that process.

Facebook used to ask this too, to the point of "give us your e-mail password and we'll only download your address book".

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

TimWinter posted:

The conversation needs to recast phones as neural prosthetics, and spying as invasion of the mind. This app is selling my thoughts to the highest bidders

Look at this guy thinking privacy is more important than a company's bottom line. What a dork.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Agile Vector posted:

lol those dumb cameras, despite cops here accessing them and months of reports they cant catch the same three people rummaging in cars

the pearl clutching is amazing though as people are aghast that someone would, get this, try to open car doors and take change

ability.

desirability.

opportunity.

remove/interdict just one and win.

- crime prevention 101.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Stick Insect posted:

These people may have tried to look you up. Or they may have uploaded their entire address book to automate that process.

Facebook used to ask this too, to the point of "give us your e-mail password and we'll only download your address book".

thats the fun part. even if you try to be privacy-aware any dumb idiot around you can ruin that real fast.

not to mention all the business shits eager as hell to find places to hand over their video to in hopes of better targeting or understanding customers or whatever dumb bullshit phrase is in. "thanks for all of the footage from your stores. this customer may have frowned and has a satisfaction rating of 20% also we're cross referencing this with all the other videos we have access to thanks"

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

animist posted:

internet connected microphones are terrible and v creepy. but, like, was the expectation that amazon isn't listening to you when you address your amazon-brand internet connected microphone to buy something from amazon? particularly when the alternative would be the user getting hosed when alexa screws up and orders a 50-gallon barrel of anal lube instead of a stick of deoderant?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

There's an Alexa in my house. I disapprove but it's not solely my decision to make.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
If you can't avoid having something/someone spy on you, you could try to feed it incorrect data.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Stick Insect posted:

If you can't avoid having something/someone spy on you, you could try to feed it incorrect data.

ive heard this argument before but its such a dumb idea that id love for you to walk me through how its supposed to work

if the datas wildly incorrect its just ignored like the guy who liked everything on facebook and if its subtly wrong youre still being spied on only now the few benefits you received from the spying have been removed and you did a bunch of work to throw off the algorithm on top of all that the entities doing the spying literally dont care if its right or not as they make billions just asserting that it is

i understand the impotent rage but i dont understand the passive aggressive actions like its some kind of strike against the machine

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Resting Lich Face posted:

There's an Alexa in my house. I disapprove but it's not solely my decision to make.

did you make a PowerPoint to present how bad of an idea it is?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

I added a book of classy nudes to my cart once, and for months afterwards I had naked women show up in my AdSense results. When my ad results calmed back down, I just went back and re-added it. I think it only stopped because the book isn't carried any longer (nsfw): https://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/p/taschen-helmut-newton-sumo-hardcover-book-prod140420071?childItemId=BGHBKWQ_

There's really is no reason not to game the algorithms.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
a guy i know "liked" a bunch of monster truck pages on facebook and all his ads now are for vocational schools and more monster truck stuff

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

trades are a valid and lucrative career path

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i worked a trade for over a decade and lol

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
This government agency sent me a letter with a survey, asking me for feedback on my experience with them.

They said it was anonymous, but they keep sending reminders asking me to do the survey, because they can see I haven't bothered.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

don’t use Facebook
don’t use google search
install a pihole at home

come the gently caress on peeps

https://privacytools.io if you want to sperg out and suffer something Glenn greenwald adjacent

I still use gmail though. can’t face using some other trash and changing my 15 year old email :negative:

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
How do you get all your worthwhile friends to move over to not-facebook?

it's not really a problem if you have no friends

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
remember when we used to worry about government surveillance lol. capitalism once again proves that the free market is vastly more efficient at everything

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Stick Insect posted:

How do you get all your worthwhile friends to move over to not-facebook?

it's not really a problem if you have no friends

i don't have friends, as you said, so no problem

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it's amazing how facebook managed to con every website into sticking their dumb 'like' buttons on their page. the sheer amount of data they collected through that would probably make even google's mouth water

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Gentle Autist posted:

don’t use Facebook
don’t use google search
install a pihole at home

come the gently caress on peeps

https://privacytools.io if you want to sperg out and suffer something Glenn greenwald adjacent

I still use gmail though. can’t face using some other trash and changing my 15 year old email :negative:

I switched over to iCloud. it’s great here.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

it's amazing how facebook managed to con every website into sticking their dumb 'like' buttons on their page. the sheer amount of data they collected through that would probably make even google's mouth water

goog analytics is probably in more places.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

By the next morning, the items in my News Feed had moved very, very far to the right. I'm offered the chance to like the 2nd Amendment and some sort of anti-immigrant page. I like them both. I like Ted Cruz. I like Rick Perry. The Conservative Tribune comes up again, and again, and again in my News Feed. I get to learn its very particular syntax. Usually it went something like this:

A sentence recounting some controversial news. Good!

A sentence explaining why this is good.

A call to action, often ending with a question?

Once I see this pattern, I start noticing it everywhere. SF Gate, the San Francisco Chronicle's web presence, uses a similar tactic. It is a very specific form of Facebook messaging, designed to get you to interact. And if you take the bait, you'll be shown it ad nauseam.

As day one rolled into day two, I began dreading going to Facebook. It had become a temple of provocation. Just as my News Feed had drifted further and further right, so too did it drift further and further left. Rachel Maddow, Raw Story, Mother Jones, Daily Kos and all sort of other leftie stuff was interspersed with items that are so far to the right I'm nearly afraid to like them for fear of ending up on some sort of watch list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Shaggar posted:

goog analytics is probably in more places.

oh yeah. but facebook's whole point has been tying you and your family together directly, while google was more about just inferring those relationships and not like, making you list everyone you contact's relationship to you.

do love the implied equating between things like "very, very right" and poo poo like... maddow? daily kos???