Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lemon
May 22, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/ZmNatLF.mp4

Not sure if this counts as a flop; as anyone who's done this before will know, it hurts. The rest of it is just embarrassment.

Lemon fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Aerdan posted:

if there were a kind god, his victims would be beating his rear end. this, however, is what prison does to people. and there are thousands of people in jail who can't afford bail, many for offenses that white people would not have been jailed for or would have gotten a slap on the wrist at most.

Let me repost my earlier response to "Epstein Island"

By popular demand posted:

:pervert:so where are the underaged girls?
*Murdertrucks honk in the distance, accelerate towards the soft fleshy targets*

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The Flop Defender has logged on

If there is a kind god, this mans deterioration will accelerate just enough to cause him immense pain, but not enough to kill him before he is officially convicted.

Proof that there isn't one is the existence of rapists in the first place.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is there a crossover between footballers and actors? This guy looks like he's mocapping as a Magikarp.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
throwback to this neymar meme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbJ0ZFSv7ic

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

You think they're out there playing for the love of the game :lol: The :airquote: spirit of all major league sports is to make money, and you do that by winning games.

The real money in sports isn’t made by the billionaires who own teams. It’s made by the bookies.

Perception of a fair game is very important to gamblers. And even more important to those who regulate gambling.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is there a crossover between footballers and actors? This guy looks like he's mocapping as a Magikarp.

As an example of what I was talking about earlier about diving being a self correcting issue, that's a young Brazilian player called Adryan and back in 2014 was signed on a loan deal by Leeds United, with an option to buy. He had a couple of decent performances but any Leeds fan would only remember him for that ridiculous dive, after which he basically never played again for the club because no-one could take him seriously. Leeds didn't take up the option to buy, and since then he's done nothing of note, being shipped around a few other European clubs before ending back up in Brazil. His most memorable achievement in football will be one of the most laughable dives ever.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Man, I thought for years that this was the real one,

Instead of this.

Anyway, sports players in general falling over is very funny, it just seems like men's soccer gets the most attention because it's so ubiquitous.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

SpacePig posted:

Man, I thought for years that this was the real one,

Instead of this.

Anyway, sports players in general falling over is very funny, it just seems like men's soccer gets the most attention because it's so ubiquitous.

Fun fact, those GIFs were part of a thread that started in our football subforum and ended up being used in a New York art gallery exhibition about digital media as art in the modern age or some poo poo.

Also yeah the ubiquity is the other point I was trying to make: at a conservative estimate of at least 50 leagues around the world playing a wholly televised or at least recorded schedule every weekend, and assuming around 20 teams a league, that's around 500 matches of live professional football every weekend, ripe to be turned into memes. There's just an incomparably huge amount of football being played compared to literally any other sport on the planet, so of course you'll have more visible incidents of shithousery.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I think that's why the gif where he just falls is cemented in my brain as the correct one. So much good poo poo came out of that photoshop thread.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Fun fact, those GIFs were part of a thread that started in our football subforum and ended up being used in a New York art gallery exhibition about digital media as art in the modern age or some poo poo.

Also yeah the ubiquity is the other point I was trying to make: at a conservative estimate of at least 50 leagues around the world playing a wholly televised or at least recorded schedule every weekend, and assuming around 20 teams a league, that's around 500 matches of live professional football every weekend, ripe to be turned into memes. There's just an incomparably huge amount of football being played compared to literally any other sport on the planet, so of course you'll have more visible incidents of shithousery.

poo poo i remember that

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A very good Ric Flair impression.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
https://gif-finder.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Soccer-Fail.webm

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/UnusualVideos/status/1381724607690854403

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Hahaha, pure comedy. The light piano, the framing, the brevity. Perfection.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sweep the leg.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

loving OUCH

Takes No Damage posted:

That or they jump off with a bunch of slack in the rope and act confused when the rope straightens out and stops falling but they do not. F=MA :science:

You also see quite a few where people get scared, hold on tight instead of letting go as a fear response, and come smashing back into whatever tree or rock

But I agree, rope swings are awesome and imma use one wherever I'm presented with the opportunity. I'm pretty confident in my ability to use them correctly, though if you aren't def skip it

mind the walrus posted:

Some people never grow out of thinking that they're the protagonist of "life" and you can always tell

It's honestly hilarious that the reason she was in the store in the first place was trying to get a refund for something that she didn't even have, she only had a picture on her cell phone (???). Who loving does that? So she was mondo primed to Karen before even walking in

First one ouch, feel bad for the girl in the shopping cart. Second one is amazing, I assumed she was going to slip but slipping by opening up the lid and then falling directly into the trash can is just :discourse:

Loved this so much lol. Just giving the rooster endless poo poo for sleeping in and not doing his job.

Especially the 'oh word?' (translation) when the rooster jumps up all the sudden and gives a strangled, aborted crow

mind the walrus posted:

Ok honest US guy asking a question here-- what the hell is the deal with flopping in this game? Like do they train on it, or it just happens based on cultural osmosis?

It helps their team win... winning is kind of a big deal in sports

Vakal
May 11, 2008
https://i.imgur.com/nBCZSCK.mp4

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Mmm I should get me a NERF minigun. For reasons.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
can't believe nobody beat me to this

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Play posted:

Loved this so much lol. Just giving the rooster endless poo poo for sleeping in and not doing his job.

Especially the 'oh word?' (translation) when the rooster jumps up all the sudden and gives a strangled, aborted crow

¡Tenías un trabajo!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
flopping is absolutely a thing in the NFL.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/27/texans-faked-an-injury-to-save-a-timeout/

Flopping is why teams get charged a timeout for injury stoppages in the last two minutes either half, and get yard penalties/time runoffs if they do not have any timeouts. that right there stops a lot of the egregious poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You get sent to the penalty box and your team has to play short handed for flopping or even just embellishing in ice hockey, the one true sport.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Flopping is a a powerful tool in any football players arsenal, and it has decided entire tournaments, so it's hard to fault the players for doing it if they can get away with it. It is at the same time embarrassing and lame as gently caress, and to look at the bright side, the compilation videos are great fun.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

trickybiscuits posted:

can't believe nobody beat me to this

And you’d be right.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Solice Kirsk posted:

You get sent to the penalty box and your team has to play short handed for flopping or even just embellishing in ice hockey, the one true sport.

This doesn't necessarily stop the other player from getting penalized, though.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Play posted:

It's honestly hilarious that the reason she was in the store in the first place was trying to get a refund for something that she didn't even have, she only had a picture on her cell phone (???). Who loving does that? So she was mondo primed to Karen before even walking in

I'm sure that it's worked before, as someone may have already pointed out.

Back when I worked for a now defunct national retailer, it was company policy that for anything under $50 cost, the store manager was authorized to do whatever it would take to make the problem go away, up to and including grabbing two twenties and a ten from the register and handing them to the customer to get them to go away.

A customer could have smashed a $49.99 cost item with a hammer then came in complaining about how bad it is at resisting hammer blows and demanding a new one for free and if they made enough noise, the store manager was supposed to hand them a new one or give them a full refund just to literally shut them up.

Returning something you don't have is not something I recall having anyone try, but we did do a lot of swap outs for something a customer obviously damaged themselves and had concocted some harebrained tale to explain.

The real origin of "the customer is always right" attitude is really "it isn't cost effective to fight the customer on this"

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://i.imgur.com/InDBiRJ.mp4

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SpacePig posted:

This doesn't necessarily stop the other player from getting penalized, though.

Nope, but I think it's a good way to handle it. You wanna run the risk of taking a dive for a minor slash to try and pull a power play? Go for it, but know that you're risking your team being down a man as well.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Here's a professional foul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBForKcFWoA
do whatever it takes to win, to hell with the team.

The best part of this was Senna doing the same drat thing back to Prost at the same track a year later to win the championship himself. The little poo poo really wasn't in a position to complain though I'm sure he probably did because Prost was garbage that way.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Zesty posted:

Cool? I didn't say anything about "the love of the game". It's pretty clear sign stealing (like the embed here) is cheating and against the spirit of the game. So I don't know what your point is when you're saying, "The only thing that matters is winning, so cheating is fine."

The issue is that's a moral stance not a stance on what's legal in a game.

I think the issue is that if it's not against the written rules it's legal. If the people running the game don't like it then codify it in the rules. It's not cheating if the rules don't say it's illegal. It's a business, the fact that the business is a "game" is completely irrelevant. business will do what's necessary to get ahead in their business. If it shouldn't be legal then make it illegal.

Then, make the consequences of cheating heinous enough to the business in question so that it is never ever worth it to try and get caught. Then do this to all the businesses in America, not just sports.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

BitBasher posted:

I think the issue is that if it's not against the written rules it's legal. If the people running the game don't like it then codify it in the rules. It's not cheating if the rules don't say it's illegal. It's a business, the fact that the business is a "game" is completely irrelevant. business will do what's necessary to get ahead in their business. If it shouldn't be legal then make it illegal.

Then, make the consequences of cheating heinous enough to the business in question so that it is never ever worth it to try and get caught. Then do this to all the businesses in America, not just sports.

Mr Sanders, it's an honor!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The NFL needs a penalty box. Let them go down a position for a couple downs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BitBasher posted:

This is a sort of interesting story about a coach like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tonxd_9_lY

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cartoon Man posted:

The NFL needs a penalty box. Let them go down a position for a couple downs.

Actually, a penalty seat on a tall pylon where everyone can admire the offender's stupidity would be great.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

:lol:

I really want an edit/photoshop of this where she's completely gone after the geyser recedes.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is a sort of interesting story about a coach like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tonxd_9_lY

Also Smokey Yunick back in the 60s NASCAR

"Another Yunick improvisation was getting around the regulations specifying a maximum size for the fuel tank, by using 11-foot (3 meter) coils of 2-inch (5-centimeter) diameter tubing for the fuel line to add about 1.5 US gallons (6 liters) to the car's fuel capacity. Once, NASCAR officials came up with a list of nine items for Yunick to fix before the car would be allowed on the track. The suspicious NASCAR officials had removed the tank for inspection. Yunick started the car with no gas tank and said "Better make it ten,"[3] and drove it back to the pits. He used a basketball in the fuel tank which could be inflated when the car's fuel capacity was checked and deflated for the race.

Yunick also used such innovations as offset chassis, raised floors, roof spoilers, nitrous oxide injection, and other modifications often within the letter of the rule-book, if not the spirit. "All those other guys were cheatin' 10 times worse than us," Yunick wrote in his autobiography, "so it was just self-defense." Yunick's success was also due to his expertise in the aerodynamics of racing cars.

In another incident, Yunick showed up for a race with stock rear fenders that partially covered the rear tires of his Chevelle. The car qualified well due to improved aerodynamics but the other teams were laughing and wondering how he was going to change the tires during pit stops. After qualifying, Yunick promptly cut out the rear fender openings. The other teams complained to NASCAR but Smokey said, "The rules say that I CAN cut out the rear fenders but it doesn't say WHEN I can cut them.""

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Did anyone else say twin peaks

Friend just sent me this and I can't help but think of the log lady and idk Laura's Theme

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

The best part of this was Senna doing the same drat thing back to Prost at the same track a year later to win the championship himself. The little poo poo really wasn't in a position to complain though I'm sure he probably did because Prost was garbage that way.

What makes the second crash great is two things. Senna was in the lead of the series by 9 points. Winning the race was worth 9 points. But a previous penalty would cost him two points. So he had to place in Japan and win the last race to win the series. By preventing Proust from finishing, it ended Proust's run and gave Senna the championship. But for that bonus spice this thread loves...the announcer makes a statement proven very wrong right before the crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbeBnn0Ufsc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Did anyone else say twin peaks

Friend just sent me this and I can't help but think of the log lady and idk Laura's Theme

It’s minecraft music op