Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Why would the potassium consume the air to form a vacuum if it's reacting with the water?

2K + 2H2O → 2KOH + H2

It would do the opposite and produce gas wouldn't it? Unless it produced enough hydrogen gas to react itself with the air in the bottle cause then you'd get

2H2 + 02 → 2H20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It was mentioned that there was also naphtha in the bottle, could that be a part of it?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Fattest PI posted:

Why would the potassium consume the air to form a vacuum if it's reacting with the water?

2K + 2H2O → 2KOH + H2

It would do the opposite and produce gas wouldn't it? Unless it produced enough hydrogen gas to react itself with the air in the bottle cause then you'd get

2H2 + 02 → 2H20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eFI8-DyWtA

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Azathoth posted:

It was mentioned that there was also naphtha in the bottle, could that be a part of it?

I didn't really pay attention to that part because I don't know what naptha is. I assumed it was some kinda mineral oil or whatever but that's probably still dumb to disregard. It is very possible the peepee potassium reaction caused some of the naptha to burn and consume the available oxygen in the bottle

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Azathoth posted:

What's naphtha?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
not much man

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/701265871317762110/729781130932256848/DASH_360_2.mp4

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've had a catheter twice in my life, both times for surgeries where I'd be out for a few hours. First time I demanded it be taken out upon waking up and they told me I had to wait until I could go to the restroom under my own power. Second time I just took it out myself and it was simultaneously one of the most painful and most relieving feelings in the world.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

No more catheter talk, please, I'm loving begging you.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I had a twelve-inch long rubber tube going from my nostril up my nose through my sinuses and down the back of my throat, and I was less aware of that than the catheter when I regained consciousness.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/ai_love_you_bot/status/1277225359751045122?s=20

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Push El Burrito posted:

What's naphtha?

The most exact description you'll get is "some kind of hydrocarbon", since it has a widely fluctuating definition in historical documents

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i regret to inform you that the injuries have caused you to post in dead comedy forums

Jacob's Ladder sequel looking bad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Push El Burrito posted:

What's naphtha?

Back in the day it would either be crude oil (not likely that some rando would store crude in a bottle) or - probably - mineral spirit solvents. So perhaps the potassium reacted with the water and created a flame that ignited the solvent, which burned the air in the bottle and sucked in more from the inside?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1280203920401412097?s=21

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
you guys should've seen how big the thing i had stuck in my penis was!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

:hellyeah:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Call me cynical but I'm not celebrating til she's in jail.

Good step but I want results, maybe this will deter other poo poo heads to stop calling the cops as their personal hit squads against harmless black and brown people.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

SilvergunSuperman posted:

No more catheter talk, please, I'm loving begging you.

Holy gently caress that tall guy looks like he has a 10 foot wing span. Little guy had one loving shot and made it.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

TontoCorazon posted:

Good step but I want results, maybe this will deter other poo poo heads to stop calling the cops as their personal hit squads against harmless black and brown people.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

TontoCorazon posted:

Near zero percent chance of that happening... Section 240.50 of New York penal code - Falsely reporting an incident in the third degree is a class A misdemeanor. A fine for first offense up to $1000 is likely, but I wouldn't expect jailtime even if it could go as high as 1 yr for the misdemeanor.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I had a twelve-inch long rubber tube going from my nostril up my nose through my sinuses and down the back of my throat, and I was less aware of that than the catheter when I regained consciousness.

I found out the hard way that I had broken my nose years earlier when they tried to put one of those in me when I was conscious. I can still hear the crackle of the cartilage as the tube shoved through it and oh god it hurt

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

schreibs posted:

Near zero percent chance of that happening... Section 240.50 of New York penal code - Falsely reporting an incident in the third degree is a class A misdemeanor. A fine for first offense up to $1000 is likely, but I wouldn't expect jailtime even if it could go as high as 1 yr for the misdemeanor.

Huh that's drat toothless for something that can get people murdered pretty easily.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Well, then we'd have to have the justice systems of this (these?) country (ies?) openly admit that calling the police on PoC is essentially attempted murder.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

This was what I was looking for. This is the good stuff.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

this honestly sounds exactly the way it would in a cartoon.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Huh that's drat toothless for something that can get people murdered pretty easily.

There's a bill somewhere in the NY State House (no clue how far along, might have been passed already) which added Filing A False Report as one of the crimes that can be escalated as a Hate Crime, which allows them to add at least 4 years if not more to the sentence.

Won't apply to this lady but it's a good step.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Wait until you hear what happens when people get easily murdered.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

https://i.imgur.com/XluiXkg.gifv

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

“She lost her job, her home, and her public life,” Mr. Barnes said. “Now some demand her freedom? How many lives are we going to destroy over misunderstood 60-second videos on social media?”

Just one, you idiot. I often see lawyers saying poo poo like this and wonder what hourly rate they are charging for this brilliant strategizing.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Murphy Beds: Charming to the Unsophisticated

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Some choice 'freude from one of the IT threads in SH/SC, which is now titled "[SPAM] FW: RE: WE GOT HIM!" for reasons which should become clear

sfwarlock posted:

An IT Saga, in three acts plus a coda.

Act I:

All,

During the stepdown of the LAX datacenter, an unauthorized USB Mass Storage Device ("thumbdrive") was found plugged into a server. This is a critical security violation and can have consequences up to and including termination. All of you know better.

The offending device has been destroyed.

- Mitch

Act II:

Update!

The following 47 servers have passed the scream test and will be removed from LAX-DC-01 by 2020-05-31, with secure wipe and e-waste/recycling to follow by 2020-06-30:

Act III:

Hi (warlock)

Hate to bug you on the holiday weekend, but my (mumble) software is giving a strange error, see screenshot. ("Licensing server not found on network, 28 day grace period expired.")

Coda:

> Hi Mitch

> About this unauthorized thumbdrive that was found in LAX DC, did it possibly look like this? (Attached image of multi-thousand dollar USB license dongle)

(warlock),

As you know, attaching unauthorized USB Mass Storage Devices ("thumbdrives") to a (Company) computer is a critical security violation and grounds for possible termination. Expect further communication on this matter through your supervisor and/or HR. Your device has been destroyed and will not be returned.

sfwarlock posted:

Act IV

FWD: Security Breach in LAX-DC-01
To: (bunches of people, including CIO, Director of IT, and my boss)

> During the stepdown of the LAX datacenter, an unauthorized USB Mass Storage Device ("thumbdrive") was found plugged into a server.

He actually emailed in to ask if we'd seen it!

> ---------- Forwarded message ---------
> From: (warlock)
> About this unauthorized thumbdrive that was found in LAX DC, did it possibly look like this?

WE GOT HIM.

- Mitch

sfwarlock posted:

Act V

Re: FWD: Security Breach in LAX-DC-01

I spoke with warlock regarding this issue.

*) To my certain knowledge, he has never been to LAX-DC-01.

*) The "thumbdrive" that was destroyed held the license for the (mumble) system, which is why an entire department cannot work this morning. (Attached image of multi-thousand dollar USB license dongle)

*) The server that was removed and wiped had the license cached, but that is gone now as well. (Please let me know AS SOON AS POSSIBLE if the servers were not actually wiped / disposed of yet.)

*) (mumble) Co will not replace this dongle, as we are on v9 of the software, which is now End of Life. I am waiting for (vendor) to get back to me with a quote for the version they will support, which is v11. Expect that to be in the six figures, not including if we have to stand up another licensing server.

bonus:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/portaldaband/status/1280274049877377029

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Expected more from a multi-thousand dollar dongle, honestly.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Mr. Fix It posted:

Some choice 'freude from one of the IT threads in SH/SC, which is now titled "[SPAM] FW: RE: WE GOT HIM!" for reasons which should become clear

Oh that’s gonna hurt Mitch’s future at that company

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

:rip: Mitch

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Classic example of trying to crucify someone over emails instead of just talking to them directly to see what's happening.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

The Fattest PI posted:

2K + 2H2O → 2KOH + H2

2H2 + 02 → 2H20

The reaction is exothermic so the H2 gas would have been hot creating low pressure inside the bottle once the reaction completed and excess gas vented. The higher pressure air outside the bottle then tries to equalise sucking in a man's penis.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fix It posted:

I read the first few sentences and thought the UNAUTHORIZED DONGLE would turn out to be an HSM that was controlling their entire authorization system, but a $200k license string on some proprietary locked-down thumbdrive is a nice second.

Poor Mitch, he was so sure he was right :smith:

e:

BrassRoots posted:

The reaction is exothermic so the H2 gas would have been hot creating low pressure inside the bottle once the reaction completed and excess gas vented. The higher pressure air outside the bottle then tries to equalise sucking in a man's penis.

Sucking in another man's penis? NO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoBNWCgLNp0

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

No wonder, his mask appears to be made of single ply toilet paper.