Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Tourists are also frequently surprised to learn that weed is not legal in Jamaica. Neither is wearing clothing with camouflage patterns, but who would have guessed that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

canyoneer posted:

Neither is wearing clothing with camouflage patterns, but who would have guessed that?

Really?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

mds2 posted:

Really?

Yeah, I don't see it myself.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

The General posted:

I'm in Canada and don't travel. Even I know not to bring drugs to Asia. I'm sure there's an exception country or two, but from my understanding drugs be bad basically everywhere in Asia.

"I/They didn't know heroin was illegal there!" is pretty laughable when heroin is illegal where you started from.

Sure, but your average ignorant Western tourist doesn’t understand that if you travel to say, Singapore, with 200 grams of cannabis, they are going to hang you.

And yes, the Australian media goes nuts when white people face the death penalty in these countries, but most often the people who end up dying because of this are poor domestic workers from countries like the Philippines who either get duped by their employers to carry the drugs, or get offered more than their yearly salary to carry drugs.

And yes, I think most of us probably agree the death penalty is not, in anyway, aligned with modern notions of human rights; but it seems extra egregious in these drug cases.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ZombieLenin posted:

Sure, but your average ignorant Western tourist doesn’t understand that if you travel to say, Singapore, with 200 grams of cannabis, they are going to hang you.

And yes, the Australian media goes nuts when white people face the death penalty in these countries, but most often the people who end up dying because of this are poor domestic workers from countries like the Philippines who either get duped by their employers to carry the drugs, or get offered more than their yearly salary to carry drugs.

And yes, I think most of us probably agree the death penalty is not, in anyway, aligned with modern notions of human rights; but it seems extra egregious in these drug cases.

Vietnam is the same way, death to drug traffickers. The joke of it is, though, drugs are incredibly rife in the streets, there's no enforcement because all the cops are totally and completely paid off allowing dealers to operate with complete impunity. And those dealers certainly had no problems with their supply.

I paid off the cops multiple times when I lived there, either for actually doing something wrong or more commonly just so they wouldn't bother me and waste my time, they would pull me over for nothing knowing that I would just pay because that was the only good option When the corruption is that bad, giving people the death penalty for drugs is a joke, it'll only happen to the unlucky and the ones who didn't manage to pay off the right person.

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/sIe8akA.mp4

File this under hosed around and found out.

For a short left that had a lot of power in it. I love how he senses something might go down and hurries to put his bike down and make sure he's not encumbered if the guy loving attacks him.

I like to think he paid his fine with pride, if indeed he was fined because the driver easily could've kept quiet about it since he basically tried to run someone over then ran up to them holding a threatening beating stick or whatever it was

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Play posted:

Vietnam is the same way, death to drug traffickers. The joke of it is, though, drugs are incredibly rife in the streets, there's no enforcement because all the cops are totally and completely paid off allowing dealers to operate with complete impunity. And those dealers certainly had no problems with their supply.

I paid off the cops multiple times when I lived there, either for actually doing something wrong or more commonly just so they wouldn't bother me and waste my time, they would pull me over for nothing knowing that I would just pay because that was the only good option When the corruption is that bad, giving people the death penalty for drugs is a joke, it'll only happen to the unlucky and the ones who didn't manage to pay off the right person.

Note that this does NOT work with American cops. Pulling out a lot of dong in front of them is going to get you arrested or worse.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Play posted:

For a short left that had a lot of power in it. I love how he senses something might go down and hurries to put his bike down and make sure he's not encumbered if the guy loving attacks him.

I like to think he paid his fine with pride, if indeed he was fined because the driver easily could've kept quiet about it since he basically tried to run someone over then ran up to them holding a threatening beating stick or whatever it was

NGL, was definitely expecting him to blast him in the side with his bike

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jeza posted:

NGL, was definitely expecting him to blast him in the side with his bike

My brother once fought off two muggers who had knives with a pink folding Jopo.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

By the looks of it that's like a two thousand dollar bike so probably not worth risking on some tiny road rage gremlin

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My brother once fought off two muggers who had knives with a pink folding Jopo.

https://youtu.be/-nJ65gtTnos

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/kRyovCY.mp4

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Drug talk:

"Don't ever fly or travel with more drugs than you can eat and live to tell about" is a good rule.

When I visited the Bahamas I was down to score a little weed but was told by a few locals that the people there are so poor they'll offer to sell you some and then get paid by the cops to turn you in and drop dime on you. I decided it wasn't worth it but don't know true that is either. At least I'm not posting this 10 years later from a jail in the Bahamas though.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

steinrokkan posted:

And death penalty for drug traffickers to you too!

This shouldn't go unappreciated.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ZombieLenin posted:

Which one, potentially punishing a guy who was almost murdered more than the guy who almost murdered him, or hanging the poor people used as drug mules by drug traffickers?

To be fair if they caught the traffickers they would be hanged too. Singapore has never been shy about doling out the capital punishment and not bending to diplomatic appeals from the West to let their exported delinquents off.

Edit - You can't pay off the cops in Singapore. That's their entire schtick. But I suppose if you're carrying enough weed to get the noose there's no harm in trying.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 1, 2021

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah, I don't see it myself.

:golfclap:

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

BiggerBoat posted:

When I visited the Bahamas I was down to score a little weed but was told by a few locals that the people there are so poor they'll offer to sell you some and then get paid by the cops to turn you in and drop dime on you.

I've heard in Brazil that tourists go out looking for drugs, both dealer and tourist get "caught" in the act, the tourist panics and spends thousands to bribe their way out, cops release their dealer buddy & the cycle begins anew.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

minato posted:

I've heard in Brazil that tourists go out looking for drugs, both dealer and tourist get "caught" in the act, the tourist panics and spends thousands to bribe their way out, cops release their dealer buddy & the cycle begins anew.

Yeah that happens basically everywhere there is police corruption. Those stories get passed around a lot in Thailand, never happened to me but it was enough to make me very cautious who I engaged in that way, only people I could trust. I've only heard about it secondhand though so who knows how common it actually is. One time I did have someone demand extra money and the implication was they would turn me in otherwise. I just hid the bud somewhere no one could find it and told him to gently caress off

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Note that this does NOT work with American cops. Pulling out a lot of dong in front of them is going to get you arrested or worse.

Yeah, they'll just arrest/kill you so they can take all you've got instead of settling for just what you're offering.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Taeke posted:

Yeah, they'll just arrest/kill you so they can take all you've got instead of settling for just what you're offering.

Yeah US Cops can legally take all your cash/belongings and liquidate them for their own funds. Doesn't have to have anything to do with a crime. US just solved the corruption problem by permitting all the illegal behavior as legal if you're the police.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Drug talk:

"Don't ever fly or travel with more drugs than you can eat and live to tell about" is a good rule.

When I visited the Bahamas I was down to score a little weed but was told by a few locals that the people there are so poor they'll offer to sell you some and then get paid by the cops to turn you in and drop dime on you. I decided it wasn't worth it but don't know true that is either. At least I'm not posting this 10 years later from a jail in the Bahamas though.

This was how it worked in Mexico. Was in Mazatlan on a grad trip and there was sketchy guys selling fake silver. People would buy it and the cool dude selling it would ask if you wanted weed as well. If you bought from him then the police would come shake you down for whatever money you have on you. Their side economy is based on catching drunk teens and fining them for whatever money they have on them for whatever reason they can dream up at the time. My only interaction was a cop telling me I had to pay a fine for the cup of alcohol I had out in public when I knew that it was glass that was illegal. He literally gave me a sticky note with just a number written on it as the fine. It was exactly what I told him I had on me.

Purgatory Glory fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 1, 2021

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

DandyLion posted:

Yeah US Cops can legally take all your cash/belongings and liquidate them for their own funds. Doesn't have to have anything to do with a crime. US just solved the corruption problem by permitting all the illegal behavior as legal if you're the police.

The only difference being the cops cannot legally ‘keep’ the money, it goes into an asset forfeiture fund that the police department uses, sometimes to buy pretty loving ridiculous poo poo.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

This police officer has a weird idea of what constitutes a "freak accident." Getting hit by a chunk of ice falling off a passing plane is a freak accident. Getting mutilated by a chicken you tied a knife onto just sounds like a natural consequence of tying knives to chickens.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

BiggerBoat posted:

Drug talk:

Police corruption exists everywhere, but the Bahamaian Dollar is tied to the USD, and the median income is about 48k BSD. Like, you always have a risk when you're dealing with unfamiliar street dealers, but the people aren't collectively "so poor" that they're gonna sell you out at the drop of a hat.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

It seems like the corruption racket for buying/selling drugs in a lot of these places is fairly well known. So I just can't fathom how people can't just not buy/sell drugs when visiting these places. If you're willing to risk arrest in a foreign country and paying out loads of bribe money just to get some weed while on vacation, maybe you have a bigger problem than you're willing to admit to yourself.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Dear Prudence posted:

It seems like the corruption racket for buying/selling drugs in a lot of these places is fairly well known. So I just can't fathom how people can't just not buy/sell drugs when visiting these places. If you're willing to risk arrest in a foreign country and paying out loads of bribe money just to get some weed while on vacation, maybe you have a bigger problem than you're willing to admit to yourself.

Quite often the drugs + bribe are cheaper than the drugs back home anyway.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Dear Prudence posted:

The point of a vacation is to have a good time, and while [insert substance] isn't necessarily needed, it just makes the experience a whole lot better, and the local laws may seem unreasonable compared to what they're used to back home. Doesn't mean they're a whatever-aholic.

That said, I went on a trip with a friend who turned out to be really into cocaine but was too scared to fly with it, and spent half our first night in every new city dragging me around trying to score. As someone who doesn't touch coke and couldn't spot a dealer if my life depended on it, it was fascinating watching this process. Mainly going to dive-bars, getting friendly with the bartender via big tips, and awkwardly asking "how's the skiing around here? Looking for some good ... snow."

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

barbecue at the folks posted:

I can't decide if the Schad is on the people who get mad over someone else's cooking or the people who look at someone ruining a classic recipe or a really good cut of meat and inevitably start commenting "why can't you let people enjoy things sheesh"

I like to cook and I made a really good chocolate mousse. One of the guests said, "This is the best pudding I've ever had!". Instead of berating him that it was a "mousse goddamnit", I just smiled and said , "Thank you!".

My brother in law apartment sat for us and when we returned he said, "I drank some of your wine.". I looked over at my wine rack and saw that a gift bottle of '84 D'yquem (a very nice bottle of Sauterne, a French dessert wine) was missing. I asked him what he thought of the wine, he said, "It was pretty sweet but good.". I managed not to clench my teeth and said, "Glad you enjoyed it!". I really wanted to try that wine...

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

twit666 posted:

I like to cook and I made a really good chocolate mousse. One of the guests said, "This is the best pudding I've ever had!". Instead of berating him that it was a "mousse goddamnit", I just smiled and said , "Thank you!".

My brother in law apartment sat for us and when we returned he said, "I drank some of your wine.". I looked over at my wine rack and saw that a gift bottle of '84 D'yquem (a very nice bottle of Sauterne, a French dessert wine) was missing. I asked him what he thought of the wine, he said, "It was pretty sweet but good.". I managed not to clench my teeth and said, "Glad you enjoyed it!". I really wanted to try that wine...

When I house-sit for people I can barely convince myself it's okay to eat their perishable food that they specifically told me I could eat, let alone help myself to random bottles of wine.

You are a saint.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

twit666 posted:

You're meant to leave instructions like "You can drink this wine but leave this as it was a gift". This way you have your nice wine left or can unleash righteous fury as the situation demands.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Best episode of 'Black Books' was about them specifically drinking the really old, expensive wine they weren't supposed to touch while house-sitting.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knHrleTNu2I

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Inceltown posted:

You're meant to leave instructions like "You can drink this wine but leave this as it was a gift". This way you have your nice wine left or can unleash righteous fury as the situation demands.

But then they may end up framing you for killing the Pope.

E: ^^^^^gently caress

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Inceltown posted:

I couldn't bring myself to ask if he drank it chilled. I hope so.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qp9e1yvwTo1s1ddrj.mp4
:stare:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

That would probably kill me.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I pulled my back a few days ago, I would probably explode into dust if this happened.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

I pulled my back a few days ago, I would probably explode into dust if this happened.

Slipped disk here, what up spinal gravel buddy

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Imagined posted:

Best episode of 'Black Books' was about them specifically drinking the really old, expensive wine they weren't supposed to touch while house-sitting.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knHrleTNu2I

THANK YOU! That was wonderful!

twit666 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 1, 2021

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Dear Prudence posted:

Better yet just stay a night in a hostel and ask the middle aged Aussie hippie expat who's been living there longer than anyone can remember.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Are those automotive airbags?

Good thing he didn't use Takatas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/bVnGDeI.gifv