Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

He obviously is saying crap? How do YOU form a hard c sound, with your tongue? lmao

Are you being sarcastic and double making fun of me now? Because he's clearly saying gently caress. Teeth come to the bottom lip at the start for the 'f' sound, 'ck' sound ends back in the throat.

Try to make a 'p" sound, like there is at the end of crap, without bring your lips together at all like he does here. That's not how talking works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

aphid_licker posted:

Toxoplasmosis makes mice seek out cats iirc, and there's this fungus that makes ants climb as far up as they can so when the fungus bursts out of their body the spores are distributed better. Life's weird.

Resident Evil 4 was great if you read the little fun science facts

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

He obviously is saying crap? How do YOU form a hard c sound, with your tongue? lmao

Lmao lecturing someone about linguistics when you’re this clueless about them

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

I am trying to remember what these are referencing and I can't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rant_(novel)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Play posted:

Are you being sarcastic and double making fun of me now? Because he's clearly saying gently caress. Teeth come to the bottom lip at the start for the 'f' sound, 'ck' sound ends back in the throat.

Try to make a 'p" sound, like there is at the end of crap, without bring your lips together at all like he does here. That's not how talking works

Yeah I dunno buddy. I just spent ten minutes in front of my bathroom mirror shouting crap every way I knew how. Bottom lip to teeth every time. You should try it out and record it for proof

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 17, 2021

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Rabies is such a weird disease. You can get the vaccine after you've been exposed to it (in which case you will be fine), and if you don't get it, you will 100% die.

Not quite 100% any more. There was a technique developed about a decade ago to treat it by putting you into a medically induced coma until your immune system fights it off. It has a pretty low but non-zero success rate, and has left everyone, as of the last time I read about it anyway, who recovered with brain damage. So still not great.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Play posted:

You must be joking. Every time I say crap it looks like the man pictured.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Spek posted:

Not quite 100% any more. There was a technique developed about a decade ago to treat it by putting you into a medically induced coma until your immune system fights it off. It has a pretty low but non-zero success rate, and has left everyone, as of the last time I read about it anyway, who recovered with brain damage. So still not great.

well i hope they keep trying this method sounds like theyre close to a breakthrough

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?

Spek posted:

The Milwaukee Protocol has worked exactly once, so no, it's still pretty much 100%.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies#After_onset

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Play posted:

Lmao

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://youtu.be/zJHmOGSgTIw

The sign didn't light up, I must be good!

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Back from the earlier racing chat, asking "what if you let the engineers go rulebook be damned"

Porsche did that after crushing the WEC /Lemans for 3 years running with the 919.

They retired, took the car, gave it to the engineers, and said "make it as fast as you can."
The result was the Porsche 919 Evo.

Currently holds the lap records at Spa and the Ring, and is capable of much faster, but as the the works drivers Timo Bernhard and Neel Jani will tell you, you run out of driver and the human meat sack in the seat is the limiter. At some places the car was pulling 4.5+ lateral Gs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qetSEn4xPY8

Jesus Mary and Joseph. You can tell that the car wants to give more especially in the really hairy bits like the Carousel. I think you'd need to genetically engineer a driver to shave much time off that lap.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

aphid_licker posted:

and there's this fungus that makes ants climb as far up as they can so when the fungus bursts out of their body the spores are distributed better...

Cordyceps! Anyone who played The Last Of Us should be really familiar with it!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

James Woods posted:

Jesus Mary and Joseph. You can tell that the car wants to give more especially in the really hairy bits like the Carousel. I think you'd need to genetically engineer a driver to shave much time off that lap.

https://i.imgur.com/cxSeF98.gifv

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Rabies is such a weird disease. You can get the vaccine after you've been exposed to it (in which case you will be fine), and if you don't get it, you will 100% die.

Isn’t there a theory that a significant number of people survive rabies with no symptoms but because of that they didn’t even know they had it and it’s not documented? If you show symptoms you’re 100% dead without the shot though, and it’s obviously not worth risking it just go avoid a few shots.

EDIT: Fun fact: Edgar Allan Poe might have died from rabies

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 17, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

RatHat posted:

Isn’t there a theory that a significant number of people survive rabies with no symptoms but because of that they didn’t even know they had it and it’s not documented? If you show symptoms you’re 100% dead without the shot though, and it’s obviously not worth risking it just go avoid a few shots.

Never heard of this. I have heard the horrible TV medical drama poo poo about trying to cure someone with rabies with an induced coma (they always induce a coma) and then fighting this disease based on where you are bitten, hand arm, we can vaccinate super quick. The closer it gets to your trunk and spine and brain the less time you have.

Obviously this makes for good medical drama.

poo poo I just talked to a guy who kept putting needles in his arm and his take on the ER experience was they went in hard and fast to fight this infection and now he can permanently flip the bird. Not much else. He has gross pics on his phone and maybe will think twice about needle drugs.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Got my boy a model rocket for Christmas, and yesterday we went to go launch it. Pretty much the same thing happened as in the video, just a hell of a lot faster.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Schadenowns:

https://i.imgur.com/csjscji.mp4

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I love that one cause it looks like he just ragdolled in some lovely video game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/jf0DktS.mp4

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

LifeSunDeath posted:

this is loving badass, that car is just ripping through turns, goddamn.

Even more so when it takes you almost 2 minutes to realize that Speed is in kilometres rather than MPH :rice:

vvv When I was a kid I had one of those little plastic airplanes that you threw in the air and they would glide around and do loops and stuff. It was all fun an games until I put 'er down in the street outside my house right in front of an oncoming car. Not even the black box survived that landing :smith:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 17, 2021

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

oh dope posted:

Got my boy a model rocket for Christmas, and yesterday we went to go launch it. Pretty much the same thing happened as in the video, just a hell of a lot faster.
One time when I was a kid I got one of those three-prong boomerangs as a present. I took it out into the back yard and threw it as far as I could, which sent it over the neighbor's fence, where it immediately dropped out of view, and that was the end of the boomerang. Turns out you have to throw them a special way to get them to loop back.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

James Woods posted:

Yeah, probably. The clip at :30 is just... :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VmTbhX07tg

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

marshmallow creep posted:

I am trying to remember what these are referencing and I can't.

UK royal family.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BlackIronHeart posted:

Something about that Porsche running wild: that can't be done in a "racing" format, because those cars need "clean" air to generate the thousands of pounds of down downforce needed to keep them and their big sticky tires adhered to the earth. It's one of the reasons MotoGP (top tier motorcycle racing) can never be as fast as F1, you just can't have the same aerodynamic tricks.

Here's a video compilation of what happens when aerodynamics go wrong at speed, which is very thread appropriate.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Remember those sweet VR bikes in TRON with the glowing neon rims? You can get that in real life now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhlAXBRAo98&t=103s

E: that channel is nothing but hours of crazy accidents & dashcam footage compilations if anyone was missing their dashcam fix

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

BlackIronHeart posted:

Oh man, I feel like I'm experiencing some sort of time dilation or something. The cockpit video definitely looks fast, but every move makes sense to me, seems perfectly reasonable. This looks insane, bordering on impossible, to the point I thought it may have been sped up. Jesus christ.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
https://i.imgur.com/CWqqD6c.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

SpacePig posted:

Oh man, I feel like I'm experiencing some sort of time dilation or something. The cockpit video definitely looks fast, but every move makes sense to me, seems perfectly reasonable. This looks insane, bordering on impossible, to the point I thought it may have been sped up. Jesus christ.

It’s like watching a slot car race scaled up to real life.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

We kill them dispassionately by the millions.

When they get a chance to even the score, they savor it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I notice we don't see him get out of the water.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I notice we don't see him get out of the water.

And he’s barefoot :ohdear:

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Yeah it is very fast, but like it was already mentioned F1 cars already broke that record in Spa. In real race qualifying setup. F1 cars are fast. And even now they are limited by their tyre options and engines ("power units"). The tyres available in competition are neither fastest or durable, but are engineered to degrade in a way that produces drama during the race. Also, the cars can only use three engines in the whole season, which means that the teams are forced to tune them down to increase longevity. With real qualifying spec tyres and tuned engines, like they had in the 80's and 90's, the cars would be significantly faster than what they are at a race weekend.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Memento posted:

I thought it might have been the Thomas Covenant books, but rabies doesn't sound quite right.

Covenant had leprosy iirc.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BlackIronHeart posted:

it moves like a slot car. also that vid earlier, it hit 345kph (214mph) through a loving chicane, so crazy.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

A little more info on the whole process and what can/was changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7bG9sP0jGg

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I like the throwaway line at the end there where the driver is like, "Oh yeah I had to train my neck for months just to not die from the g-forces..."

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/750903242883596468/832773122704277504/video0-3.mp4

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Adding to rabies chat, I got pre-exposure vaccinated when I was doing animal control. 2 shots a couple weeks apart. The shot itself doesn't hurt (it's like getting any other vaccination) but the goop they inject has the consistency of maple syrup and your arm hurts like hell for a few days afterwards. So now theoretically I am immune to rabies, though I haven't had a titer test to see my antibody level. The most disappointing thing was not being given a tag I could wear as a necklace :smith:

Fun rabies facts:

Humans have some natural immunity which is probably one reason why reported cases are so rare. That and modern pet vaccination campaigns.
Only mammals carry rabies.
The largest reservoirs in the US are bats, raccoons, and skunks. Video bobcat probably contracted it from a raccoon or bat (it most likely would avoid tangling with a skunk for obvious reasons).
People often think mice or rats carry it but while they can contract it, they're not likely to spread it because they die of the injuries sustained in the attack that gave it to them before they become contagious.
The method of infection involves the virus getting into your nervous system and traveling towards the brain. Getting bit on the toe gives you more time for treatment than getting bit on the face.
A carrier isn't contagious until the virus has reached the brain, at which point it gets into the salivary glands and is transmitted by bite.
Rabies testing requires brain tissue, we used to have to decapitate the critter and take the head to the state lab for testing. This is why they can't just test you if you're bitten, they skip straight to shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:smith: