Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Blame cops for the poo poo they do, not all the poo poo that ever happens. Blanket judgements just normalize bad behavior. That makes it harder to convict the cops that ~do~ get busted for doing poo poo.

Lol. Amber got 10 years because the jury were sure that Botham would have forgiven her for murdering him. They'd have let her walk if they thought they could have.

Remember when that cop got busted for gunning down that family in Costco? Remember when that cop got busted for planting evidence on camera? Remember that cop that got busted for executing the guys laying on the floor begging for his life? Remember that cop that got busted for shooting the mental health worker because his patient was holding a toy train? I hope you do because I loving don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Resting Lich Face posted:

drat. It did not look that bad from the video.

These things never do straight away but pretty much any video where someone gets engulfed in a fireball like that is getting injuries like that guy. They'll walk away and look fine but then the burns set in later.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Just buy a wireless mouse ya scrubs.

He's got a wireless mouse, that's the whole problem.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Do the people pumping their arms up with synthol not realise it doesn't make them stronger? They might as well put on a Darth Vader costume and try to Force choke their opponents.

It's body dysmorphia, he need serious psychiatric treatment as it's essentially like anorexia to him at that stage.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I don't think it's unreasonable to be annoyed with EV specific parking because a normal person can't afford to drop 100k on a Tesla but the guy with the pickup can gently caress right off

There's loads of electric cars now, not everyone has a Tesla but a lot of people have Nissan Leafs etc. Also there's a decent chance that truck cost more than the Tesla.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 13, 2019

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

By popular demand posted:

Do you have any context? Who were they chasing? Who kicked the guy?

Looks like the Chilean riots?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

DandyLion posted:

Is anybody really fooled by videos like this which are clearly being played in reverse?

I know right?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dillbag posted:

A 17-year old kid was run over and killed trying to stop a gas and dash here in Vancouver because the owners would take thefts out of their employee's pockets . Now we have a law named after him that makes drivers pay first, and no working solo.

E. Actually he was 16

Wait that the law you made? Not a law to stop employers stealing from their staff?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

This is why you should seek out Pyrex that was made before 1998. Soda Lime glass doesn't handle thermal shock well at all. Get real borosilicate Pyrex.

Pyrex is still made of borosilicate, just not in the land of the free.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Anora posted:

That tweet is from 2017.

Good news, the Restaurant has closed down permanently. Hopefully because it created that.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 6, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

God I wish I understood cricket and it was on tv here more. It has the banality of baseball but can last for days I mean that’s amazing

Only test cricket is over 5 days really. Most cricket is just one day. And with the new formats sometimes even one evening.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yeah the batsman bat's until he's struck out, run out or hospitalised.

They recently invented a new big of safety gear to stop the batsmans head getting snapped back too hard when the ball hits their helmet but it makes it slightly harder to turn your head so people aren't using it, despite someone dying.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Are groin protectors (a "cup" here in Americaland) banned in cricket or something?

Yeah everyone wears them which is why he's just a bit sore and not praying for death. Cricket balls are really really hard.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Darkhold posted:

the end where he pops up all aggressively like he didn't just get beat is what really gets me.

It's really common and something you have to watch for when bringing someone round. They just wake up and start fighting again.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So what's the schad in this? A mother joins with her child and does well in a game? They play together. Did you post this in the wrong thread?

If they were playing swiss then at 2-0 when they played her mum probably bumped her out of a chance of a top 8 finish.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Imagining having to filter your water.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BrassRoots posted:

All i can think about is how it probably voids any life insurance claims when they can prove he wasnt payibg attention

Yeah no life insurance is paying out on 'Autopilot tries to kill me every day in the same way in the spot every single day so I just whipped my phone out and started playing games on that and decided to see if Autopilot would try to kill me again.' Also he was doing 61 in a 55 before Autopilot decided he was better off dead.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mostlygray posted:

It would seem that flat earthers just say things. These things have no meaning. They're just saying words. If I say bananas are the only reptiles that are eligible to run for a position as alderman in the riding of Coralisburgtown in West Dakota, is it true? Of course not. But I bet I could get a flat earther to believe it if I put it in a 45 minute long Youtube video.

Also, a 50mm lens has almost no barrel distortion. It won't curve the horizon.

Don't they explain away the horizon with the coin on the edge of the table thing?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If anyone wants to laugh at my misfortune today, I'm sitting at the doctor waiting to get an x-ray on my ankle that I rolled getting out of a work truck.

Admiral Joeslip more like.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

I loved Thundercats so much when I was 7. Had the duvet cover and everything. o

Same. Thundercats was cool because Mumm-Ra was vaguely competent and a cool villain. But in the end it's a kids show for kids. I'm pretty sure if I watch Terrahawks now it probably wouldn't be great.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is this the Tigermilk I keep hearing about?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

Ummm, a lot of these folks have mortgage notes or are doing illegal subletting. So yeah, they got bills. To say nothing of the ones that apparently using AirBnB as their only source of income.

But those people deserve to die in the gutter so it's all good.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Relentless posted:

To be fair, that joke is RIGHT THERE, just waiting to be picked up and used.

No no no you dnt understand. If there's an obvious joke or pun to be made, but someone else on the internet thought of it as well, then you copied it from them. It's just physically impossible for 2 people to come up with the same joke, can't happen.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MrOzzy posted:

We used to throw coins as close as possible to a wall. The one who managed to get closest got all the loot.

We did that as well, called it chippy.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

Microsoft bought Skype and didn't do anything with it for a long time other than require you to link a Microsoft Passport account - then they tried relaunching Microsoft Lync/Office Communicator as Skype For Business.
You can imagine how well that went.

They made a new thing called Teams which is actually p.good, totally new so not a rebadged Skype.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

It’s a poor man’s Slack.

As a long time Slack user Team is way better than Slack. Also is costs a loving fortune, more like a rich man's Slack.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Aerdan posted:

Signal lighting is tuned such that all three colours are recognizeable regardless of colourblindness. 'Yellow' lights are actually amber, and 'green' are actually blue-green.

We call them Amber, 'Don't be an amber gambler' and all that.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Good to see that the yellow-light rule has an alter-ego with a cooler name.

Extremely cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4TDEPP1R9Q

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

I'd lose two family members, so gently caress you maybe?

Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to make the world better.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Great quote I saw about Canadians: the nicest people you know, until you bring up the natives at which point they turn into the most racist people you know.

We were having a chat in our office about various things, fairly cosmopolitan office, British, Spanish, French and a couple of Bulgarians. All youngish, well educated. We strayed onto the topic of the Roma and the Bulgarians where 'Yeah they shouldn't be allowed to vote, they're all scum just voting for more benefits so they don't have to work etc etc. Just an unending stream of how awful the Roma are and how they need to get out of Bulgaria or get a job.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Algol Star posted:

The problem is the franco-prussian war happened right in the heart of Europe in the interim and was kinda different (because the French were incompetent). Grant and Sherman get poo poo but seem to have realised what war was going to be like from then on.

We knew what was going to happen in the Great War well enough, between the American civil war, Franco-Prussian War and 2nd Boer War. The big question when cast against that backdrop was why was more not done to avoid war in Europe.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Home automation is really useful for disabled people because by in large light switches are situated for people standing up.

I have smart bulbs in about half my house and going to do the rest because I like the features, I can set the lights to come on in the morning etc. I have a smart fridge but all it does it tell me it's cold.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

If you watch the video, they drive past him and block him from running, they're pointing guns at him so he charges them in an attempt to save his own life, then they shoot him. It's unreal that anyone would even entertain the though of self defense, it's premeditated all the way.

I think you're going to find 12 folk who think exactly that when they acquit them of all charges. I mean it's established in US law that chasing and executing black men is totally fine. If they have the temerity to oppose their execution you'll probably get a medal for it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

trickybiscuits posted:

I just looked up whether Georgia is a death penalty state. These people don't deserve to breathe.

I'm trying to work our where the trial will fall over. Will the DA simply fail to file any charges properly? Will the video be excluded as evidence for being prejudical? I don't fully understand what grand juries are for, but they seem to live this poo poo also. If it gets as far as an actual murder trial for actual murder how long will it take for the jury to acquit?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Handiklap posted:

I know I'd be one of those people, but I am loving screaming over here as everyone just ho-hums the entire loving ocean evacuating the beach.

"my, isn't that strange! Dear, would you pass me the Banana Boat"

Later on when the wave is coming back in there's a guy laying down on the wet sand where the was and he just kinda stands up and looks around as the wave come crashing back towards him, doesn't seem to react till its about 50ft away. I can only assume he was carried there when the sea went away and deposited otherwise I have no explanation for what he was doing there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ilmucche posted:

It's poo poo being Scottish. Imagine being colonised by wankers.

Oh we weren't colonised by the English, we were so bad at colonialism that we bankrupted the country on a single outing. If people want some historical schadenfreude I could explain the Darian Scheme aka How Scotland owned it's self so badly the English ended up owning it.

It comes with the bonus we can blame the English for everything. No jobs? The English! Bad at sport? The English! Bad weather? The English!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

wolrah posted:

That sounds interesting. Also your short summary makes me think about how in the 2000s Porsche tried to hostile takeover Volkswagen but overextended their finances in the process and ended up being sold to Volkswagen instead. There are a couple of good schadenfreude angles on that one, and it's proper German schadenfreude.

So a short summary.

To set the scene, it's the 1690's, Scotland is a glorious independent country. I's having a tough time though, competing with England, poor trade agreements, small navy and internal conflict has really kept it small. So the people came up with a great plan, a plan to become a great mercantile and colonial power like England. England was really against the idea because of the concepts of mercantilism which means for someone to gain someone, someone else has to lose it but that's a different story.

So Scotland founded the Company of Scotland, raised some money and cast around for somewhere to found a colony. This was going to be Scotland's East India Company. Now obviously couldn't go to the Indies or Africa but England wouldn't go to South America because they didn't want to upset the Spanish. So the Darien scheme was thought up. To found a colony in Panama, making it a gateway between the oceans, not a terrible idea.

So 1698 the first expedition set off with 1200 people and founded New Edinburgh. This was a terrible colony, they failed to trade with anyone, failed to grow crops and the harbour had waves in it that wrecked boats that tried to leave it sometimes. The English refused to trade with the colony so as not to upset the Spanish still and malaria set in, they were losing 10 colonists a day. But still they sent letters home saying everything was going great. This seems to have been an organised effort by the colonists to make it sound like it was going well, they all repeat the same phrases. They abandoned the colony after 8 months, 300 off the 1200 settlers survived, they ended up in New York of all places.

Back in Scotland everything was going great in the colony so they sent a supply ship with 300 more settlers, only to arrive and find nothing but graves. Somehow they managed to burn one of the their own ships to the water and the other fled to Port Royal where people were not allowed off (Again to not upset the Spanish). In the meantime the colonists that ended up in New York sent two ships to help the resupply, arriving just in time to find the remains of the burnt out resupply vessel. It's not going great at this stage.

Word does not travel fast in these days and in 1699 another 1000 people set sail for New Edinburgh. They arrived to find nothing but a ruin and where unsurprisingly a bit upset. For reasons I don't know they attacked the Spanish nearby and Spanish retaliated by besieging the fort, loads on both sides died of fever. Only a few hundred people out of the original 2500 settlers survived.

Scotland lost about 20% of all it's money in the Darien Scheme, not 20% of it's GDP, 20% of all it's money total. It's absolutely ruined a lot of people and in 1707 we signed the Acts of Union with England who stabilised the currency by pegging Scottish Sterling to the English one. There are other reasons for signing the Acts of Union but loving up so badly was certainly one of them.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Aginor posted:

Studied this in my first year of uni. Definitely didn't help but nor did the Seven Ill Years that ravaged the population. The Darien Scheme may have lost them 20% of their money but the famine sorted out 20% of the population.

Yeah there's a load more context for this like the Europe wide famine, the wars, the seven ill years etc, the Navigation Act, it was a bad time all round really. Especially for the poor.

This was just a particularly hosed up idea given the prevailing notions of mercantilism, for Scotland to gain someone else has to lose. well it's not going to be England, or France, or Spain, certainly not the Dutch nor the Portuguese. so....Guess we will gently caress with the Spanish?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

trickybiscuits posted:

I never heard of this! (New York State history nerd here)

So this would be 1698-1699 kinda time, the boats were called the Caledonia and the Unicorn, main guys to look out for would be William Paterson, The Drummond Brothers and Captain John Anderson. There were only 200-250 people on the boats and they were sick so perhaps didn't make much impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Aginor posted:

The crazy thing is Scotland had some of the smartest economic minds of the time like John Law but they all plied their trade in Europe. Mostly with France who were a heavily unreliable ally for Scotland (Mostly just wanted to piss off the English). But considering wealth was built off the back of the navy and Scotland's was consistently ravaged by privateers it was sadly the only option to sign the acts of union.

Just 20 or so year later we unleashed Adam Smith into the world who helped found free market economics and we're all still seeing how that is playing out.