Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

e: snipe

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't know why people keep assuming that most people cared about not posting death stuff. Anytime someone did post a death gif, like 3 people total would post in complaint.

It's 2019, I don't think most people care these days.

You're gonna get spanked.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:stonk:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just barging into the thread without a schadenfreude image like

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

We have a new consensus from op, those against, and for those opening this wide open. Thank you for the pms that took hours to dissect.

Here’s the new singular rule. Live it, breath it.

This thread is intended to be a fun place where good people like us laugh at the simple misfortunes of others. Nothing massively distressing or life altering. That being said for some reason this subject tends to result in a lot of STRONG OPINIONS about whether it's right or wrong to enjoy a post.

If you feel like need to talk about something but don't have a hilarious schadenfreude image at hand, you can QUOTE A SOURCE like an article snippet or Wikipedia that you feel verifies your viewpoint or reinforces the original post. If you don't find anything to back up your opinion but still feel the need to speak your mind, it's at the mods discretion whether it was worth saying at all. Funny or entertaining responses are fine.

Sniping, slapfights and long derails will be terminated with appropriate responses.

So, can people skate by without posting schadenfreude images now?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

Skate on thin ice

E y’all did good for 4 pages. Keep up the content!

Hooray!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've seen this before and remember people discussing that with a burn that significant he was probably going to end up hospitalized. Which does not look undeserved.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The sounds on that one just adds to the experience.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Elevator chat made me think about how Crocs were getting people eaten by them, and found this image - some of the images give me imaginary schadenfreude thinking of the situations they are based on.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

This thread needs a new title. Busy day tomorrow will check in later for ideas.

Schadenfreude: (USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't see this one as schadenfreude unless he did something stupid to result in the failure.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

My friends took me around in a 1998 M3 long ago, we had 4 people in the car and got it up to 150, it was scary as hell but cool.

I had one of these in my youth, same color, different wheels, better tires:

It would do 135mph on flat ground without complaint. Wasn't an M-series, but remains the best-driving car I've ever owned. Thing cornered like it was on rails.

The schaden is that through my own idiocy I ended up not owning it as long as I should have.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

What the gently caress was his intended endgame here? Rollerskate down the steps?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

These remind me of the misplaced schadenfreude people had when they learned that Oregon doesn't have self-serve gas stations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RatHat posted:

Uh where's the schadenfreude?

I'm pretty sure it's from making us watch the whole thing waiting for something to happen.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I hope the fucker got ticketed for tearing up the landscaping, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

immortalyawn posted:

Yeah all those unraked leaves... rollseyes.jpg.co.uk

It doesn't seem like you were watching the same video. I'm in the Pacific Northwest of the US, and that video could have been shot around here, and the fucker is leaving several inch deep gouges in the grass almost every time he goes off to the right. Assholes like that give other people who ride bicycles a bad name.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

IIRC ponytail was running a class on how to channel your chi into a forcefield or something, and afterward claimed that Nancy from accounting there psychiced him into having a seizure when he tackled her.

That's some kind of parody, isn't it? I watched one of the videos and it looked like a Kids in the Hall bit.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Are you a bunch of dummies?

I see absolutely nothing that looks like leg switching.

Me, neither - I'm viewing on a desktop so I wonder if maybe it looks more visually baffling on a phone screen or something. :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

davidspackage posted:

I can't feel schadenfreude for that face. Like a kid who dropped his ice cream. :(

I dunno, I read it more like the phone in his right hand was not his, like he was using a friend or family member's phone to record with in addition to whatever device is in his left hand. The look on his face is more the realization that he just nuked mom's phone or something like that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Justice for riding a bike on the loving sidewalk.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I get 419 scams via fax at work from time to time. Had one waiting for me today from a totally legit lawyer in Canada who wants to split the inheritance with me left by someone who shares my last name. But he wanted to make it clear that he wanted to donate 10% of the 9 million dollars to charity, and then he and I would split the remaining 90%. Ethics, you see. :allears:

I feel nostalgic getting scams by fax. If I wasn't always so loving busy I'd be tempted to follow up and see how much of his time I could waste.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This year one new thing I've been seeing, which isn't necessarily a scam but is illegal, is someone calling and identifying themselves, saying who the call is for (although this part is often a computer-generated voice, like Microsoft SAM saying "John Doe," and sometimes includes a 30-second pause so if it is not the person being called they can hang up (when I worked in financial services this was something we did, so it is rooted in legit practices). Some of the real-life people sound pretty convincing, too, but not all of them. The text of the message is some quasi-official-sounding thing, like:

"I am calling in regards to matter #1186-3. We have been trying to reach you for 2 weeks, and if we do not hear back in 48 hours then the issue will be forwarded to your local jurisdiction for further action. Please call me back at 800-469-2187."

The thing is, most of the time I get these the person being asked for is my brother or my ex-wife.

In one case where I actually interacted with the person calling I was able to determine the caller was from a debt-collection company, and had probably found me through one of those people-search things that show people that may be connected to the person you are searching on. The thing is, having worked in the financial industry myself, I know that disclosing someone's debt to a 3rd party is a flagrant violation of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA). The penalties for FDCPA violations can result in fines not only for the company responsible, but the individual employee in violation.

I haven't got one of these in a while, and it is usually voicemails when I do, but part of me wants to put the fear of god into one of these vultures.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's not without precedent in the conceptual art world - most famously perhaps is "One and Three Chairs" by Joe Kosuth.
The person setting up the gallery had to pick a chair, take a picture of it and blow it up to life size, and then display both with a dictionary definition that they also had to print out.

That's basically what the banana man has done, just with even less effort and originality

It's hard for me to look at some of this and not think "oh, another Duchamp retread." I did appreciate the self-shredding Banksy painting - I thought that was neat. The banana thing just seems very, very tired.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Do people generally wear makeup on their teeth?

That caught my eye, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

tardwrangler posted:

Imagine how hosed up on wedding hormones youd have to be to try and befriend a swan.

Or so loving urban that you can't tell that swan is pissed off as it is gliding toward you, or know that swans in general are well-known to be violent assholes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Generally speaking I've never really heard of the e-brake being used as an emergency brake despite its name.

Aside from parking the only real use I've made of them is in cars with a manual transmission when having to come to a stop at an intersection on a steep hill while going uphill. Particularly when the jackass behind me crawls up my rear end and I don't have comfortable room to roll back a little in the time between moving my foot from the brake to the clutch and getting the car in gear and going.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Per posted:

Err... you're not supposed to use the same foot for the clutch and the brake.

Yeah, I misspoke - I meant shifting my foot from the brake to the accelerator. I was picturing the dance of brake to accelerator and clutch and swapped it around as I typed it out.

Push El Burrito posted:

I use the same foot for everything.

My mother was taught to drive with both feet on an automatic. Who knows why.

My grandfather thought it was dumb and asked "what happens if you panic and slam on both pedals?" She replied "what if I panic and just slam on the gas?" which seems to be a good enough answer I guess.

Holy poo poo, I have seen people who are clearly driving an automatic using both feet, and it is incredibly bad and dumb. They should revoke the driver's license of anyone who does this.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Squalid posted:

the schadenfreude is on North Americans here. A parasitic fungus from Asia killed all our chestnut trees so now they are an expensive foreign import instead of something you can just find in the forest and treat like a disposable toy for silly holiday craft projects :(

There are still a few American chestnuts around, including in Portland. OR of all places.

There are also projects going on trying to breed an American chestnut resistant to the invasive fungus.

It blew my mind when I first read about the practical extinction of the American chestnut, and how widespread and foundational they used to be.

https://www.americanforests.org/magazine/article/revival-of-the-american-chestnut/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Even in the depths of my active alcoholism there was no way I was going to drink a margarita or daiquiri unless they were free or the only source of alcohol I had. Ugh. The sweetest drinks I went for were screwdrivers, pretty much.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Gin is the drink of the gods. Anyone who would take vodka over gin is a fool of the highest order.

Counterpoint: Gin tastes like something used in refinishing wood.

Unless the schade here is tricking naive people into drinking gin for the first time, in which case it is pretty apropos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

All hard liquors taste like something used in refinishing wood.

Gin is unique in tasting like two separate things used in refinishing wood: ethyl alcohol and turpentine.

:hfive: