Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/7vifp8m.gifv

gently caress you, raptors! This is Web Foot Army territory!

Those look to be Striated Caracaras (Phalcoboenus australis), who are found mainly on coastal islands at the southern tip of South America, as well as on the Falkland Islands. They are social birds who feed primarily on sea-bird colonies during the summertime where they take eggs, young birds, and adult bird carcasses. In the autumn and winter they move towards human settlements where they subsist by scavenging farm garbage, offal, livestock carcasses, and other such items. Young caracaras tend to gang up in groups which allows them greater access to carcasses, which may otherwise be guarded by adult pairs.

They used to be endangered, but after conservation efforts were started in the 60s the population has increased and they are now categorized as near threatened by the IUCN.
One of the reasons they were endangered is that they are curious and not very afraid of people, which made them an easy target for hunters. Charles Darwin wrote of them in his journal when visiting the Falklands in the 1830s: "They were constantly flying on board the vessel when in the harbor, and it was necessary to keep a good look out to prevent the leather being torn from the rigging, these birds are very mischievous and inquisitive; they will pick up almost anything from the ground; a large black glazed hat was carried nearly a mile…"
Apparently if you go backpacking on the Falklands you're still advised to keep an eye out for the caracaras, otherwise they may steal your poo poo and wreck it.

An article I found investigated how Striated Caracaras would respond to novel food items by giving them dead mice. This was performed during the winter where they scavenge, and as a control fake mice (pseudo-mice) were also introduced. The results were that the dead mice were cached more than the pseudo-mice, but also that the caracaras would spend more time interacting with the pseudo-mice, which the scientists interpreted as confirming the caracaras' interest in novel items.

Pretty cool bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Communist Walrus posted:

Very disappointed nothing leapt out of those tanks to bite someone

I'm pleasantly surprised the interviewer said 'baby eel'.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I like to think one said inflammatory things to get a rise out of people while the other enriches peoples' lives by drawing furry vore.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Is there a thread about Brexit where I can find more information? It was so baffling to me they voted to leave (pro EU here) but I didn't have the time to get the finer points, if any points at all.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Butterfly Valley posted:

Schad is on me for reliving all that while typing it out and on anyone who reads it.

Thank you for your effort post, I'll take that schad now.

Jeza posted:

e: oh look somebody wrote more than me. gently caress. game over. turns out british people AREN'T bored of talking about this poo poo after all.

And thank you too.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
lol Go Birds!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah gently caress whatever minor-league rich rear end in a top hat owns this driveway and is too lazy to carry their own poo poo in. They deserved what they got, here.

lol no they didnt, the guy did a poor job

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They 100% don't pay him enough to do what they wanted him to do so good.

"they" ordered food online with delivery. if anyone is short-changing the guy it's his employer. hate the game not the player.

also do your job properly

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

PurpleXVI posted:

Hah, no, respect your employer as much as they respect you. There's absolutely a limit to how decent a job you should do if you're getting poo poo working conditions from your employer. Anything else is just loving yourself for someone else's profit, which is widely considered to be a "goddamn idiot thing to do."

No, in that case you're loving over the costumer, although this also makes you a goddamned idiot. My old boss (pig farm) told me that a true lazybones does tasks properly so as not to risk having to do them over.

But hey, let's totally gently caress over that guy for having, uuhh, stairs in his drive-way??? :confused:

Platystemon posted:

I, for one, am glad that the guy didn’t haul the groceries up the stairs because it provided us with a safe and legal thrill and it helped recharge the gulls. :coolbird:

:same:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

PurpleXVI posted:

If I'm being fairly paid for a job, and given decent working conditions for the job, then I'll do my best.

Perhaps you should consider that when people don't give a gently caress about doing a decent job, it's 99% of the time not because they're inherently bad, lazy people, but instead because they're quite clearly seeing that they're being exploited in some abusive way, either by a lovely employer or dealing with lovely customers. You pay that guy a decent, living wage and make sure he doesn't have a punitive quota hanging over his head, and give him either the time or the tools to carry those boxes up the steps without busting his body, and I'm 99% sure he would've done so.

Oh I agree. But I'm objecting to the incandescent hot takes that this is somehow the costumer's fault.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

steinrokkan posted:

I'm definitely less likely to do my job enthusiastically if there's now costuming involved as well.

get a job on a pig farm - no costumers involved at all.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

SiKboy posted:

Why are you naked on the pig farm?

lol holy poo poo. im not changing those typos now

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

a weird half justification of slavery because seagulls ate someone's groceries

is this too long for a new thread title?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

ulex minor posted:

probably setting myself up for everyone to say 'lol who cares it's great when nazis die' but i feel like we shouldn't post suicides in the schadenfreude thread really

I agree, it just seems ghoulish and petty.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Biplane posted:

Celebrating nazi death in 2021 is the opposite of ghoulish and petty. Angelic, and... magnanimous

Please take the high road you stupid rear end in a top hat, you complete idiot.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Aginor posted:

My heart is always here and I love you! Plus I'm drunk and I may have eaten too much chinese so I'm wondering where I sit in the grand scheme of life right now.

Edit: Not spending £40 on chinese. That's a lesson to me.

you're a good man

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Aginor posted:

Not to bring it up again but I was expecting my ASDA delivery today at 8pm. I've sat here waiting with the phone next to me and the volume on the TV down and no sign of it. Checked the tracker and it says delivered. Looked around outside for a big pile of rubbish and some well fed seagulls and nothing. The driver has turned up, not bothered trying to contact or ring the buzzer and hosed off. That's some schaden on me.

If I have learned anything from this thread, it is that the driver is well within his rights to dump your stuff at the curb, it is your own fault, also capitalism. In fact more garbage should be piled into the streets.

I can only conclude that several goons are also seagulls.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Kenning posted:

Oh my god just go make out already.

nice try but you cant eat garbage posts, lol

idiot birds lmao

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpndP-cBE60

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
What about the guy who kicked him??

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah you don't want to to the ER

I got in a wreck earlier this year and was knocked unconscious for 15-20 minutes, so I walked in and they x-rayed and MRI'd my head. I was in and out in two hours. here's the bill:

the blank spot turned out to be $3900

I'm having a moment of personal freude that I live in a country with a proper healthcare system.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
The schaden is coming from inside the thread because I have no idea what any of this economy stuff means.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

LifeSunDeath posted:

they got that nice ramp, and got it all set up, but didn't bother to think about how to land at all.

What are you talking about? He landed. :confused:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept that you can invest in stocks losing value.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Armitag3 posted:

Yeah, it works because when you have to return the borrowed stocks you just buy some off the market. If they're cheaper then when you first sold, then you made money.

Empty Sandwich posted:

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today," except that you're betting that on Tuesday, hamburgers will cost half as much as they do now.

This makes perfect sense. Thanks! :)

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I'm laughing because it's poorly designed.

e: lol who the heck gave me a trump avatar??

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Flannelette posted:

Couldn't you just make a thing that spins you around fast enough?

I think I once read about experiments performed in preparation of sending people into space, where monkeys were spun around to gauge how many G-forces it would take to kill a person. They literally rotated monkeys to death.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think "rotating monkeys to death" would be like continuing to twist their heads and feet in opposite directions for half an hour.

No no, you're confusing rotating monkeys with wringing monkeys, and while there are many ways to skin a cat there is only one way to wring a monkey. Well, two ways to wring a monkey I guess.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

i see the schaden but where's the freude?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Butterfly Valley posted:

The comical inevitability of the woman in red eventually capitulating to gravity and momentum, the ineffectual little grabs on the railing, the pile up of shopping, the failure of anyone behind to do anything that would be meaningfully helpful

Like I understand that they're old and it was probably a really poo poo and scary situation for them because they're not spry enough to pick themselves up but it still doesn't stop it being funny in a faintly pathetic way

Sure I guess that's funny but my idea of schadenfreude is that there needs to be a dimension of deservedness, and I'm not seeing it here.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Butterfly Valley posted:

That's very much your idea and not the actual definition of the word. Sure 'deservedness' can contribute to finding something funny but it isn't required to merely find humour in others' misfortune.

Laughing at old people's misfortune of falling over simply sets the bar too low, come on dude.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Son of Rodney posted:

Imagine going to jail for being a nazi, the one place you might actually benefit from being one as you can join the nazi gang, and you're known as "the crying nazi". Even those losers won't let you in now. What a little bitch. P

He didn't go to jail for being a nazi dude. It literally says he was sentenced for threatening and trying to extort a neo-nazi.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Doggenfreude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gTznNijxzk

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Superterranean posted:

a race to optimize food for low price.

I wonder if there's a connection between this and Americans being fat.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Cythereal posted:

In all seriousness, this really is a huge part of why Americans, especially poor Americans, have obesity problems. Cheap food is, by and large, horrible for you. Eating healthy is expensive and requires research. Huge swathes of America simply cannot afford to eat healthy, especially if they have families. And that's if there's even a store around that sells healthy food - large parts of America are what's known as food deserts, where the only place to buy food for an hour around is a Walmart or the like.

In retrospect I think I was too fast equating cheap food with poor food, but the phrase "optimize food for low price" brings out the worst in me.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
"Sharpening the spaghetti breaks it." - a pasta purist

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Platystemon posted:

His plan was negligent, sickened dozens of students and god only knows how many of their contacts, and ended in complete and utter capitulation to reality in November, when the university went fully remote.

lol are you really cheering on some guy dying?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Platystemon posted:

Do you have a problem with this case in particular or do you find hoisting by one’s own petard to be generally distasteful?

https://giant.gfycat.com/InsidiousEsteemedDiplodocus.mp4

lol you're cheering on a guy dying you psycho

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

ekuNNN posted:

Most of your posts in this thread are just you whining because you dont like someone elses idea of schadenfreude. Post less.

No I think (nearly) all of my posts in this thread has been pointing out behavior which I think is bad. Like, cheering on a person dying, despite their obvious below stellar track record, does nothing apart from diminishing your own spirit and taking you down whatever dysmal track that only helps to exemplify the worse parts of humanity. Nothing good comes from this dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Platystemon posted:

I think that she gets a cord wrapped around her leg, but it sure looks like an attack by a telekinetic enemy.

Yeah I agree. I think the cord is attached to the swing too since it rebounds too, and I guess she got tangled up in it as well.