Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I went to Yellowstone a few years ago, and the most hazardous thing isn't the wildlife, or the geothermal features, but the idiots driving rented RV's or pulling giant travel trailers.

There's several smaller roads in the park that are clearly labeled as "NO RV" due to some combination of low overhead clearance, tight curves, and narrow roads, and without fail, there'd be at least one RV either trying to reverse down a one-way road, or driving in the wrong lane on a blind corner because the idiots inside couldn't read the signs. Probably the "best" one was some idiot boomers who had a 50ft RV parked completely across the road on a blind corner, since they'd pulled it into a space obviously intended for shorter vehicles and just left it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Another great example of "Americans are financially illiterate" is car loans, since most people just look at the monthly payment, and pay almost no attention to the overall cost, the fact that the vehicle is out of warranty well before it's paid off, or what the interest rate is.

That's how you end up with people rolling negative equity from one vehicle (or more than one) into a loan for another one, and "buy here, pay here" lots where someone gets a PT Cruiser for $300/mo, but the interest rate means they're paying $10,000 more than it's actually worth.

When I bought my last car, I fully intended to pay cash, but the dealer cut something like $2k off the price if I financed through them, and they gave me a stupidly long loan, but said I had to make at least six payments.

They failed to verify that the loan paperwork required me to make a minimum number of payments, so as soon as the first statement showed up, I paid the car off, and got the $2000 discount for something like $8 in interest, and the dealer never got their kickback from the lender because I didn't make enough payments.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
NFT's are one of those things where I'm mostly annoyed that I didn't think of that method of fleecing idiots first.

Has anyone tried combining NFT's, an app that promises to "disrupt" something, and Donald Trump? I'm pretty sure doing that lets you simultaneously rip off libertarians, VC morons/tech bros, and chuds, which is probably the most gullible combination of people outside of a MLM convention.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's not even actually a jpg, it's a piece of text that contains a URL for presumably a jpg.

"You wouldn't download a.... wait, nevermind, that's exactly what you did"

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Inceltown posted:

Is there any reason that the free market hasn't increased wages to attract more drivers like all the theory books say should happen? It seems shocking to me that this hasn't happened so there must be some sort of foul play at hand.

I'm sure the Brexiteers blame it on a conspiracy by the (insert ethnic group here) to suppress the free market and prevent the glorious return of the British Empire.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
To contribute the Menzies chat, their experience with Alaska Airlines was absolutely hilarious.

Alaska used to have unionized ramp workers in Seattle, and illegally locked them out and replaced them with Menzies, figuring (correctly) that the cost savings would offset whatever fines they got for doing illegal poo poo.

Despite Menzies paying half of what Alaska did, it took the airline years to break even on that deal, since the Menzies employees kept hitting airplanes with things, hitting things with airplanes while attempting to do pushbacks, starting massive brawls on the ramp, etc...

I personally saw two of their fuel trucks somehow collide head-on (doing maybe 5mph, so no one was hurt), one of their drivers take a winglet off a 737, and another one dump a bunch of Jet-A on the ground because they hadn't connected the hose properly.

The final straw for Alaska was when a Menzies employee fell asleep in the cargo hold of a 737, which then took off, and made an emergency landing in Seattle after the crew heard banging coming from under the cabin floor.

Shortly after that, Menzies left Seattle entirely, so I assume they got asked not to come back.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lmao there's a Brigham Young university?!?

Yep, and it has its own police force, which was (repeatedly) caught using their access to police databases to find BYU students who reported being sexually assaulted, and giving their names to the "honor code" people at BYU so they could punish rape victims for things like drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

darkwasthenight posted:

Why do you think pilots wear those diaper things under the suit?

https://youtu.be/64DMXtZB8CU