Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Have they changed the “shat my pants” sprint animation yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

drkeiscool posted:

Have they changed the “shat my pants” sprint animation yet

I hope not. They need to make it relatable to the player base.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
making GBS threads your pants in the middle of an op is just part of the realistic TIER ONE OPERATOR experience

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I'm actually somewhat looking forward to this game despite not having played any Tom Clancy title since the original Splinter Cell (very poorly) and prior to that the original Rainbow Six (even worse).

Now as a Mature Adult I see the appeal of a squad based stealth game. I'm actually very disappointed that I did not get a key for the PS4 beta despite signing up the first day. I have a stupid number of Ubisoft Coins, would be nice to be able to buy in or something. My low end gaming laptop from 7 years ago cannot possibly run this. I might be able to get away with the processor and RAM, but my 630m is a huge goddamn anchor.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Beta should be live now!

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is based on the tech test but frankly the things missing from the tech test were technical, not foundational so I feel pretty comfortable in this sweeping statement;

This is more Wildlands. It's a weirder Wildlands, with a few toes dipped into survival games where your health and ammo and other consumable mechanics are concerned. Limited supplies, scrounging from enemy bases, limited healing. It's got harder stealth mechanics, things straight out of All Ghillied Up like caking yourself in mud when prone in a swamp so dudes can't see you as they walk past. It's also got half a leg in Division. Your gear has stats now, though you have a full appearance system that doesn't care about your equipped gear, only what you've unlocked. Enemies have levels and a la the last two Assassin's Creeds it is measurably more difficult to kill an up-leveled enemy. However unlike Assassin's Creed it is not nigh-impossible and when it is possible it does not take two years to do so. Coordination with a group of friends or a carefully planned fight will let you kill higher level enemies. (No you will not be killing the large swathes of high level enemies you encounter in what is effectively the tutorial.)

The shooting is a little heavier; sniper rifles care a little more about ballistics, enemies care a little more about what they're wearing, dudes with gently caress off huge guns do gently caress off huge damage. The world is significantly cooler for my money, but your mileage may vary. And blessedly (disappointingly?) for a Tom Clancy game the nutso political ramblings are mostly confined to a "What if Elon Musk had an island, went crazy and it got taken over by his own personal army?" plot. You're not there to judge or to play some kind of American superiority card, at least that I heard in the story so far. poo poo's hosed, but it's weird near-future tech and PMC stuff, more Metal Gear (less crazy) than Wildlands. The entire thing is still American-involved and Bernthal is an ex-Ghost so I'm sure it'll get oorah at some point, but likely not as adjacently-racist.

Finally, it's kind of an MMO? It's unclear just how far this goes, but the main base of operations is a phased multiplayer area where you will see random players walking around (this does not carry outside AFAIK) and there is one raid I know of, with the implication of several more. Yeah, raid.

In summary, Breakpoint is super weird and I'm super into what I've played so far, but if Wildlands wasn't your bag, it's probably not going to bring you around.

E: Also insofar as I've seen Bernthal is tremendous and I almost wish they'd made him the next Far Cry villain so he's more in your face and involved than it seems he will be here.

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 5, 2019

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

making GBS threads your pants in the middle of an op is just part of the realistic TIER ONE OPERATOR experience

There's actually a poo poo meter, that way if you go prone and try to rub mud all over yourself but there's no mud around, you just reach in your pants and start smearing.

diskostu
Sep 1, 2009
Anyone having problems downloading this through Uplay+? I joined for free yesterday and tried to download Breakpoint today but it won't let me without an activation code. Help chat said it's a known issue, anyone else having this?

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

diskostu posted:

Anyone having problems downloading this through Uplay+? I joined for free yesterday and tried to download Breakpoint today but it won't let me without an activation code. Help chat said it's a known issue, anyone else having this?

I had to go to the uplay+ library and "add the game" to my collection or whatever, then I could download it from the main games page.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

It's great that i can lose progress because :ubisoft: can't keep a server online welcome to gaming in the 21st century

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's not great that no key seems to move my dialogue menu choices so I can't actually use the shop :laugh:

technically it plays pretty well, but the movement is still that Wildlands janky so I've discovered at least two hidden supply boxes by falling 30 feet into a cave or crevasse. Ambushing enemies is fine but I wonder how movement under fire will work out. Probably not well. interestingly enough this doesn't seem to bother my character much, I guess cyberankles are standard issue in both the Division and Ghost Recon.

e: to navigate menus I had to plug in a controller and use the controller d-pad; m/kb literally won't. It did once and then stopped letting me at all. :shrug:

so, yes, they've cleaned up quite a bit but I'm still not sure the core is good enough to sustain it. maybe once I get into some missions we'll see. Gear score appears to be used mostly for area control so you can't just wander around the whole island immediately, as gear level 150 enemies will just dunk on you instantly if you try.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 5, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm having a lot of fun wandering around the jungle on the hardest difficulty where I have to actually run away and use cover as opposed to mindlessly Rambo'ing entire armies like I did in Wildlands but sometimes that's all I want from a game is a gently caress around engine and this seems to deliver pretty well.

I also don't know that the added burden of various PvE MP things and gear score are gonna hold up, but I'm probably gonna get just as much time out of it as I did Wildlands, just going to PoIs and shooting dudes.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Update: Oh, I did have a key. It was in my junk mail folder. Which is odd because literally everything else Ubisoft has ever sent me has been in the main inbox.

Anyone need an invite?

PS4 only.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 6, 2019

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
and the uplay version is already down for maintenance, although I guess only for about 20 minutes. Enough time to shitpost my experiences. It's basically the same mission as the tech test as mentioned above, but with a lot more side missions and some greatly cleaned up glitches and bugs. Still far from perfect, but it scratches the looter-shooter itch pretty well. Wondering if it's balanced for solo, as I've run a single enemy base so far and just gotten wiped out. In Wildlands you've got a team of 4, and you only really fight about 10 guys at a time. So far, running solo, after a missed round alerted the base, I've got about 30 baddies running at me. And this is in the beginner region so yikes. Granted, I could have pulled out re-stealthed and tried again, but I'm just trying to figure out if that's going to be a common issue: One bad shot and you've got to essentially scrub the mission every time. Maybe i should just switch out to Medic for the self-rez or the assault and just hope it's spongey enough to absorb the hate.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Zushio posted:

Update: Oh, I did have a key. It was in my junk mail folder. Which is odd because literally everything else Ubisoft has ever sent me has been in the main inbox.

Anyone need an invite?

PS4 only.

i guess i'll beg that invite off of you if you have it

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I'm still downloading but won't be too long most likely. I think you need to invite through the menu so probably add me on PSN. User name is PrinceZushio, just mention who you are.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Zushio posted:

I'm still downloading but won't be too long most likely. I think you need to invite through the menu so probably add me on PSN. User name is PrinceZushio, just mention who you are.

will do! it might take a few hours, is that alright?

diskostu
Sep 1, 2009

Shredder posted:

I had to go to the uplay+ library and "add the game" to my collection or whatever, then I could download it from the main games page.

Thanks, I tried this and still doesn't work.

A head's up to those on PC who are having this problem (can't download/play the game without an activation key, just signed up to uplay+), they say they're working on the problem and it's affecting a fair amount of people.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I played for an hour or so on PC and my only complaint is that when I switch to my Xbox One controller the steering goes to poo poo on vehicles. It's actually not bad used WSAD. Helo control's feel tight, and that's speaking primarily as an Elite Dangerous player.

Head shots still make a very satisfying "thwack".

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Game cool will buy.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

drkeiscool posted:

will do! it might take a few hours, is that alright?

No problem, I'm in Canada so depending on how many hours you might get it several hours after that. At the very least my phone will ding when you send it lol.

Edit: Okay what I actually need is your UPlay friendship. My username is the same as my PSN, but feel free to add both.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 6, 2019

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Game cool will buy.

I'm quite enjoying it. Still needs a lot of spit and polish, but otherwise a blast. Love the classes and all the skill trees. Good environment, good controls other than some glitches (bringing up the gear wheel, but couldn't select anything, had to jump back to the keyboard to get my healing gear).

One annoyance is if you fail the stealth kill side mission, you have to go back to the main base and restart. That's a little harsh for a stealth mission but oh well.

Finally figured out the key to attacking bases was just to find a building where you can have your back to a wall, snipe as many as you can, and then just kill the morons as they try to bum-rush you through your kill zone. Also you can't be mortared indoors as a mega bonus. Even with reinforcements it's not that hard as they only seem to attack 1-2 at a time, and then you can bait the rest or just keep on sniping if they turtle up. I haven't touched the crafting system but if they throw in some anti-personnel mines, then this is going to be my go-to move playing solo.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
The play feels weirdly sluggish and heavy compared to Wildlands, but I figure I'll eventually get used to it.

If anyone wants an invite just post your Uplay account and I'll friend and send one.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Let's go camping, SAFauxton on uplay

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I was super bummed out that the Kiwi SAS dude turned out to be just another generic american npc :cryingkiwi:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I enjoyed Wildlands quite a bit. Played a couple hours of this and I'm not feeling it at all.

FatalT
Sep 11, 2001

I'm BLUE da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee...
I tried the Uplay+ one month $0 trial and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Does anyone have an extra PC or PS4 code?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

my character is bumbling around like they got their head bashed around in a chopper crash

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Is the PvP disabled or do I have to reach a certain point?

Edit: My character has some kind of palsy going on with his right side. When I do an emote only the left side of his body moves. And his head seems to flail about all over the place.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 6, 2019

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Zushio posted:

Edit: My character has some kind of palsy going on with his right side. When I do an emote only the left side of his body moves. And his head seems to flail about all over the place.

FAUXTON posted:

my character is bumbling around like they got their head bashed around in a chopper crash

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LMAO EVERYONE SHOULD TRY PICKING UP A DEAD BODY

FUCKIN PSYCHO MANTIS THAT poo poo RIGHT OFF A BRIDGE WOOSHAWWWW BITCH SEEYA

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

I phased through a wall and fell to my death doing that

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
It has the gooniest dive roll ive ever seen in a game

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

so for reals when is the concussion from this crash supposed to wear off my ghost is shambling around the woods like a heavily armed drunk

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I somehow got locked into an ‘interaction’, couldn’t aim, shoot, fast travel, change weapons, do anything except walk around. Felt like that was a sign to call it a night.

Has some fun elements but a whole lotta jank. It’ll be interesting to see how much they can clean it up.

Also for new players - the game dumps a bunch of skill points on you early in the story missions. It’s probably best to spend them on maxing out your perk slots first imo. I bought a bunch of cool-sounding perks thinking they were passive upgrades and now I have nowhere to put them :doh:

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

The beta also caps out at level 10, so pick wisely!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Eastbound Spider posted:

The beta also caps out at level 10, so pick wisely!

There isn't a respec is there?

Doing a sniper/recon split and it looks like I'll run out of points.

Also: the delay before your skill point is subtracted from the total lets you spend it again. I bought 3 unlocks with 2 points earlier.

And a question: My sharpshooter tier challenge is "Get X kills with HDG" and I'll be damned if I know what the gently caress HDG is. Please advise?

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 6, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Edit not quote >_<

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

FAUXTON posted:

so for reals when is the concussion from this crash supposed to wear off my ghost is shambling around the woods like a heavily armed drunk

If you aren't just making a joke about the janky movement, the game prompts you to apply bandages with G. If you alt tab or go into a menu, the prompt message appears to go away.

Played for an hour last night and digging the game so far. The official forums are just people bitching that the game isn't wildlands with a new map but I'm fine with that. I already played wildlands and stopped when I got bored of approaching the same mission exactly the same way. I don't want another game of doing the exact thing.

A few issues though. Movement seems rougher than it did in wildlands and action buttons are not as responsive as I would like. The menu is clunky for how much time I spend in it and needs to be overhauled. I don't know why they insist on doing close ups of faces when the game isn't that pretty but that's nitpicking.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Are there vehicles? If so, are the driving controls complete trash still like in wildlands