Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I've played this game a bunch and always had gear score turned off and only turned it back on this week. When you turn it off the game still keeps track of it so when I turned it back on I was already at like 184. It's been fun playing with it on because it changed up the way I play but I really don't think I would have liked having it on all this time. And since it doesn't even seem to matter that much anyway, as it's only supposed to matter against how well you kill drones, which is debatable. I'm noticing some of the ELITE 250+ LEVEL ONLY STAY AWAY bases are places I already cleared out a long time ago when I had GS turned off and AI teammates weren't even in the game yet.

Regardless the game is pretty fun now and there's a lot to do, especially if you can get the pass and all that for cheap. It's good to know there's more content coming this year.

(Base jumping still sucks though)

Roman fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Roman posted:

I'm noticing some of the ELITE 250+ LEVEL ONLY STAY AWAY bases are places I already cleared out a long time ago when I had GS turned off and AI teammates weren't even in the game yet.

Yup, I had the same discovery after I started playing without gear score and then played with friends who had it on. I joined a friend's game and he was after clearing a WARNING LEVEL 250!! base I'd done earlier that afternoon without gear score. I love that it just lets you roll round wherever without any prompt that it could be dangerous when you're 175 levels short... :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yup, I had the same discovery after I started playing without gear score and then played with friends who had it on. I joined a friend's game and he was after clearing a WARNING LEVEL 250!! base I'd done earlier that afternoon without gear score. I love that it just lets you roll round wherever without any prompt that it could be dangerous when you're 175 levels short... :v:

to be fair it's all pretty easy if you're not awful at stealth, you usually can dismantle a base with a sniper rifle by just making sure you're not letting anyone wander across a dead body and then dealing with the robots after all the people have been dealt with.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The terminator special even was really cool. The rainbow six and rebel special event are not. Like, the Rainbow Six event sounds like it would be really cool, to scavenge for filters and stuff like Metro, but they plop dispensers pretty much everywhere.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah I blasted through the Rainbow Six content to get the underbarrel shotgun and it's a cool concept executed in a not very cool way. The breach-and-clear bits are fun, but the insta-fail stealth sections are pretty bullshit and there's a *ton* of them.

Also the cosmetic gas masks don't even work, your dude takes it off in favor of the way lamer looking default mask. Can't even do cool SAS cosplay while playing a boring stealth mission, smh

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I started the gas missions and theres a piece of poo poo on my team named Thatcher, why can't I murder this man?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Pwnstar posted:

I started the gas missions and theres a piece of poo poo on my team named Thatcher, why can't I murder this man?
Let me guess, former member of her majesty's Super Army Soldiers? :v:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

FAUXTON posted:

to be fair it's all pretty easy if you're not awful at stealth, you usually can dismantle a base with a sniper rifle by just making sure you're not letting anyone wander across a dead body and then dealing with the robots after all the people have been dealt with.

I found myself starting to rely on pure stealth way too much, so what I started doing was taking out the snipers and the radio guy, cutting the power, and then going as semi-stealthily aggressive as possible and it's a lot of fun. The gunplay is really good in this game, it's easy to miss out on when you're focusing on killing triangles from 300 yards away, it's really satisfying taking out the last few guys through a window with your suppressed shotgun right as they turn around.

I had to turn the robot stuff off because of how boring and dumb an enemy they are to fight. Like, they literally gave them glowing orange boss-fight weak points and health bars, we already have a good open-world Metal Gear Solid game why the hell did they decide to make a mediocre one.

Roman posted:

Regardless the game is pretty fun now and there's a lot to do, especially if you can get the pass and all that for cheap. It's good to know there's more content coming this year.

(Base jumping still sucks though)

Ubi has made multiple games with basejumping and parachutes so there is no excuse for it to suck so bad. Also, why the hell can't we select a place to parachute into, it's so stupid that the best way to stealthily infiltrate a hostile base is to take a loud-rear end helicopter and park it 500 meters away, like... let us go to an airport and have somebody take us up rather than force us to just crash our own poo poo as the only option for it. Such a simple, stupid thing to not have when you've got parachutes already in a game about spec-op dudes who infiltrate stuff quietly.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I hit GS 250 and I thought the world drops were supposed to all be 250 now? Was that changed or does the game have to "catch up" somehow?

EDIT: NM you have to be 252 from elite faction missions. A dumb Reddit post threw me off

I'm kinda sick of the gear game now so I'll probably just turn it off unless I actually raid or something

Roman fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 15, 2021

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Today I discovered the game does not pause on cutscenes and if you don't clear the area around where you drop off the VIP you can find the VIP dead & mission failed when the cutscene ends. I alt F4'd and thankfully restarted right next to the NPC that finishes the mission, which worked even though I didn't see the VIP anywhere. I was pretty annoyed.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Are people playing this on PC or Xbox?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The dumb thing about the 252 gear score from Elite missions is that it's not tied to difficulty so there's no reason to not everything to Easy to farm faster. Playing without GS makes you actually want to increase difficulty to make it more interesting.

Plus the raid drops up to 300 anyway and it's maybe the only place score matters. GS doesn't count in PVP even though you need to enable it there. Everything in Auroa is 250 except for the 255 enemies in Elite Missions which means nothing.

There are bonuses on GS gear like "+10 Stealth" or whatever but why do you even need those when you can just drop difficulty down at any time? Such a weird system.

Roman fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 21, 2021

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

RBX posted:

Are people playing this on PC or Xbox?
I'm on PC but seem to be the only one playing

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I poke at the PC version when I remember to actually start the Ubisoft launcher. I’d play it a lot more if it was on Steam and I actually saw it while trying to pick a game to play.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Heads up that the game seems to be on sale at the Ubi store, I didn't want to keep paying for Ubi+ just for this so I finally picked it up again. Actually pretty excited to dive in at this point, I didn't really hate the game when I first played it, just never really loved it, either.

Also, it ran like poo poo on my old rig and I've gotten a new one since.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s a good game but it’s very much a make your own fun kind of thing. If you focus on the campaign you’re probably still going to be a bit underwhelmed but the open world dicking around is :discourse:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well it's a great thing I love to sit around, get high, and dick around in Ubisoft open world games :c00l:

One thing I have noticed from upgrading from my old rig is that this game is absolutely gorgeous on Ultra. Some stuff has some weird artifacts when it moves though. Is that one of those fancy new temporal AA things?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

game not dead
https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/ghost-recon/breakpoint/news-updates/7t5EhwsWyCDIjHj9kj8OdW

Title Update 4.0.0 Teammate Experience Update
Release Window: End of Spring

We were thrilled by your reactions when we introduced the AI teammates and wanted to keep improving on them. This title update will focus on the AI teammates. We knew that adding them to the game was only the first step, and we are happy to announce that their capabilities will be further improved based on your feedback.

The Teammate Experience Update is focused on improving your experience with your AI squad, while also adding some community requested features. Discover a new XP progression for your AI squad, and unlock new passive skills and abilities as you play. A dedicated quest log will also be available for you to experiment with the new AI squad features, while rewarding you with cool and exclusive rewards!

Title Update 4.1.0

Release Window: Fall

Intel brief for this operation is classified, and Ghosts have not been granted full access to this information. Mission details to be revealed later this year. It seems to be one of the biggest operations so far.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Roman posted:

game not dead
https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/ghost-recon/breakpoint/news-updates/7t5EhwsWyCDIjHj9kj8OdW

Title Update 4.0.0 Teammate Experience Update
Release Window: End of Spring

We were thrilled by your reactions when we introduced the AI teammates and wanted to keep improving on them. This title update will focus on the AI teammates. We knew that adding them to the game was only the first step, and we are happy to announce that their capabilities will be further improved based on your feedback.

The Teammate Experience Update is focused on improving your experience with your AI squad, while also adding some community requested features. Discover a new XP progression for your AI squad, and unlock new passive skills and abilities as you play. A dedicated quest log will also be available for you to experiment with the new AI squad features, while rewarding you with cool and exclusive rewards!

Title Update 4.1.0

Release Window: Fall

Intel brief for this operation is classified, and Ghosts have not been granted full access to this information. Mission details to be revealed later this year. It seems to be one of the biggest operations so far.

Can't wait for the sick fuckin production that goes along with these updates. They're the best part :allears:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I poke at the PC version when I remember to actually start the Ubisoft launcher. I’d play it a lot more if it was on Steam and I actually saw it while trying to pick a game to play.

You can add it to steam

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
When this game first came out, enemies you killed dropped guns and ammo, with big obnoxious HUD elements pointing them out. It was distracting, overly video-gamey, and I thought it was really out of pace with the tone of an open world stealth shooter.

Does this game still do that? Can you make it not do that, meaning can you make the game not point out ammo drops on your HUD, and if so, do you still have enough ammo to play the game effectively?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 5, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The HUD, and many other aspects of the game, are highly customizable.

Let me really stress this:

You can play Breakpoint as an slow, immersive stealth game with a minimalist HUD and punishing combat that discourages fair fights and frontal assaults. The game, as released now, is better than its reputation suggests.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

The HUD, and many other aspects of the game, are highly customizable.

Let me really stress this:

You can play Breakpoint as an slow, immersive stealth game with a minimalist HUD and punishing combat that discourages fair fights and frontal assaults. The game, as released now, is better than its reputation suggests.

Thanks!

I loved Wildlands despite its flaws. And looking back, one of the things I liked most when it came to ~*~immersion~*~ was ammo crates. Mechanically the crates were necessary due to limited ammo reserves you could walk around with, but because the game had ammo crates instead of enemy ammo drops, the game gave you a feeling of separation from the enemy, at least in terms of the tools you used. It doesn't make sense that you pick up their uzi / ak47 ammo and put it in your M4A1 and Beretta .50 Cal or whatever. So with ammo crates it was easy enough to just kind of imagine they happened to have whatever ammo you needed.

I was also a fan of how Wildlands provided weapons by just putting them in crates throughout the game, and once you found one you liked you could just play through the entire game with it if you wanted. I didn't like Breakpoint's Diablo-style increasing damage guns it felt like you had to rotate through.

Ultimately I'm wondering:
1. are there ammo crates? Or, can you viably play the game without having to pick up ammo from fallen enemies?
2. once you find a gun you like, can you viably play through the entire game with it? If so, is it necessary to upgrade it or something? How does that work?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 5, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There are ammo pick ups that you can see, like on tables and shelves.

You can turn off leveled gear, which also turns off your "armor".

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

GreatGreen posted:

1. are there ammo crates? Or, can you viably play the game without picking up ammo from fallen enemies?

Sort of. There are bivouacs scattered across Auroa and interacting with one will refill your ammo. But you'll want to go to bivouacs fairly often to craft items and give yourself a buff.

GreatGreen posted:

2. once you find a gun that works, can you viably play through the game with it? If so, can you upgrade its damage if necessary? Will you need to?

Turn gear score off. I think that's the "Diablo-style increasing damage guns" you refer to. Then you only have to worry about upgrading the ranking of a weapon from Mk.1 to Mk.3 which will give you small upgrades to range, handling, damage, etc. Then every weapon of that type you pick up again will have the upgrades applied. Basically, turning gear score off makes the weapon system much more similar to Wildlands.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

There are ammo pick ups that you can see, like on tables and shelves.

You can turn off leveled gear, which also turns off your "armor".

Ok that sounds great, actually.

So last question, if you turn off leveled gear, how are guns stored? In Wildlands, once you found a gun, at any point after that you could just equip it from a menu. How does it work in Breakpoint?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

GreatGreen posted:

Ok that sounds great, actually.

So last question, if you turn off leveled gear, how are guns stored? In Wildlands, once you found a gun, at any point after that you could just equip it from a menu. How does it work in Breakpoint?

You just need the weapon blueprint which are scattered across the map, then head to a bivouac or Erewhon and you can "craft" that gun at will.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You can pick up any gun you find and have it until you discard it. OR, you can go and seek out the blueprint for a gun, and have it as a loadout option forever.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Thanks guys, that blueprint system sounds pretty much perfect, actually.

It... sounds like the game has fixed all the problems I had with it originally. Wow. You almost never see that.

I think I'll pick it up next time it goes on sale then. :)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You can also limit yourself to one long gun, which adds a lot more thought into what you carry, and when and why you make a different choice. It's very satisfying to "make do" with a DMR most of the time but maybe go for a SMG or AR when you know you're going deep into an underground facility with heavy combat.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I really wanted to like the minimalist HUD but it made the game immensely unfun during defense missions or any other moments where enemies hone in exactly where you are but you have zero elements hinting at that. I don't think the game is balanced well for that. Otherwise, in the open world, the game is very immersive and fun--for me, even with much of the elements.

Also, I finally got the coveted tactical cape-vest and I feel so cool :allears:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Can you only turn off the gigantic screen-filling neon colored enemy gun/ammo drop beacons and leave everything else on?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't have the menu in front of me but I'm 90% sure you can, its remarkably granular.

Ubisoft seems to have built this functionality into all their recent SP games, it's in both recent Spain creed games, and it's just a marvelous feature.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

GreatGreen posted:

Can you only turn off the gigantic screen-filling neon colored enemy gun/ammo drop beacons and leave everything else on?

Yeah that's the main difference between the two modes, regular (gear score) and immersive. I hated the idea of gear score so picked the other option starting up and it is so much better not having the game try to corral you to only visit certain places in order because your 'level' is too low. You can switch it on and off at will too so there's no downside to doing it. The only thing you're not allowed to do without activating gear score is the PvP stuff but again you can turn it on or off at will along with any other options, it's hugely customisable and pretty great because of that.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You can switch it on and off at will too so there's no downside to doing it.

Even better, your gearscore passively goes up while you have gear levels turned off. I turned it back on just to see and I'm up to the 150-200 range.

Morter posted:

I really wanted to like the minimalist HUD but it made the game immensely unfun during defense missions or any other moments where enemies hone in exactly where you are but you have zero elements hinting at that. I don't think the game is balanced well for that. Otherwise, in the open world, the game is very immersive and fun--for me, even with much of the elements.

Yeah the minimalist stuff is almost too hard. I turned off enemy markers as well as detection indicators. It gets too easy to cheese the game with all that stuff though even if you crank the difficulty up so IDK.

So much being configurable is nice though. I can just turn the poo poo on and off as I see fit.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The only thing you're not allowed to do without activating gear score is the PvP stuff
Also the raid. Assuming you can find people to do it with

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah that's the main difference between the two modes, regular (gear score) and immersive. I hated the idea of gear score so picked the other option starting up and it is so much better not having the game try to corral you to only visit certain places in order because your 'level' is too low. You can switch it on and off at will too so there's no downside to doing it. The only thing you're not allowed to do without activating gear score is the PvP stuff but again you can turn it on or off at will along with any other options, it's hugely customisable and pretty great because of that.

The thing that always rubbed me the wrong way about that damned gearscore was how little it mattered despite being visually obnoxious in so many ways if you approached it with any kind of stealthy methods. I'm pretty sure the only way you could make it relevant was to play like john loving kiwi rambo and intentionally avoid headshots.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Have they added the ability to holster weapons yet?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 6, 2021

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

FAUXTON posted:

The thing that always rubbed me the wrong way about that damned gearscore was how little it mattered despite being visually obnoxious in so many ways if you approached it with any kind of stealthy methods. I'm pretty sure the only way you could make it relevant was to play like john loving kiwi rambo and intentionally avoid headshots.
It was super relevant when you were killing drones; I once tried to stealth a base which was around 40 GS above what I was, and it went fine for all the human targets but it had two of those car drones with autocannons that, because of the GS difference, took maybe about 1/10th of their HP from an entire mag-dump into their weakpoint and their autocannons would two shot me.

Basically it was irrelevant right until the point when it was super relevant, which is part of what made the system bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

I think it only matters at all if you’re fighting wolves or drones. And the wolves still die to one headshot. I don’t believe regular soldiers are effected at all.