Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

YggdrasilTM posted:

I think this happened to me at least 3-4 times. They just conceded while I was figuring out how to attack.

People fumble their attacks so regularly that being dead on board is never a reason for me to concede. I’ll say "Good game" and wait for the kill, but the only time I’ll scoop is when I’m obviously getting crushed.

Douchebag posted:

Just started this last night, what should I be doing?

Did the color challenges to unlock those decks, I’m currently just doing the Jump In thing with the multi decks.

Yeah, the op is pretty good, make sure to redeem the codes to get free packs, and practice with the starting decks (and the decks you’re going to unlock in the next few days). Get familiar with the mechanics, try to figure out which playstyles, which colors you like. Find a decklist on the Internet that contains cards you enjoy playing, craft it if you can with the wildcards you’ll have obtained with the free packs.

Do you know what drafting is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Horace Kinch posted:

New idea: copy Den of the Bugbear with Delina, have a rapid bombardment in play.

Delina's dead or back in your hand when opponent untaps, so the earliest you're doing that is turn 8 with absolutely no backup for Delina getting nuked *before* opponent untaps. Good luck with that.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Flowers For Algeria posted:

People fumble their attacks so regularly that being dead on board is never a reason for me to concede. I’ll say "Good game" and wait for the kill, but the only time I’ll scoop is when I’m obviously getting crushed.

No joke : I've been dead on board before, said "good game" and had the opponent concede because they thought I was going to rince them instead with the powerful 3 lands I was holding. "Good Game" is a strategic weapon.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Ugh, I can't find anyone playing historic ranked. Like 5 min timers before I cancel. It was never this bad before alchemy

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

ScottyJSno posted:

Ugh, I can't find anyone playing historic ranked. Like 5 min timers before I cancel. It was never this bad before alchemy

You probably left the client open while inactive for too long and got shadow disconnected.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

LeafHouse posted:

You probably left the client open while inactive for too long and got shadow disconnected.

I swore that was a thing ! Is it really a thing ?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Kobal2 posted:

I swore that was a thing ! Is it really a thing ?

It’s definitely a thing. I’m not sure how long it takes, seems like 5-10 min.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Horace Kinch posted:

Delina doesn't work on creature lands?

Raid bombardment triggers at the time attackers are declared. So you attack with delina and den, raid checks their power (its greater than 2), and does not trigger. Delinas ability and dens abilities go on the stack at this time too, but by the time they resolve, raid bombardment has already done its check.

Apparently though the thing to look out for now with den is that if you can generate a ton of mana, every time you trigger den of the bugbear it adds a separate instance of its "put a 1/1 attacker on the board" text.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

LeafHouse posted:

I restarted and everything was normal. Thanks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

saltylopez posted:

Raid bombardment triggers at the time attackers are declared. So you attack with delina and den, raid checks their power (its greater than 2), and does not trigger. Delinas ability and dens abilities go on the stack at this time too, but by the time they resolve, raid bombardment has already done its check.

Apparently though the thing to look out for now with den is that if you can generate a ton of mana, every time you trigger den of the bugbear it adds a separate instance of its "put a 1/1 attacker on the board" text.

It does? Nice.

I played with it a bunch on the pre-rotation queue but I would never have thought of this. Not that getting to 9 mana with that deck was a thing that ever happened.

I wonder if Kamigawa is likely to have goblins in it. Monored goblins was decent on the pre-rotation queue but has had essentially 0 support since :(

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

thespaceinvader posted:

I wonder if Kamigawa is likely to have goblins in it. Monored goblins was decent on the pre-rotation queue but has had essentially 0 support since :(

The set had one of the scariest goblins of all time. I'd call it more likely than not they'll have stuck around.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
New Alchemy rebalances announced, WotC wants to try to make a Venture into the Dungeon archetype happen.

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1486009720578056192

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 25, 2022

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

As much as I was ignoring alchemy in MTG:A they did just buff a lot of venture cards so I admit I'm curious once again because fun jank is fun

I fell off playing magic because of life events so now seems like a great time to come back

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lol they nerfed Hullbreaker literally the day after I crafted a couple. I was reconsidering not spending any more money on Arena because Kamigawa looks cool as hell but this is making me re-reconsider!

Also I hope giving Time Raveler a mana value of four is enough to not kill midrange in Historic

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hullbreaker is still full power in Standard though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AngryBooch posted:

New Alchemy rebalances announced, WotC wants to try to make a Venture into the Dungeon archetype happen.

Am I supposed to craft certain cards right now to get the free wildcards, or are they gonna weasel out of that?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I guess it's true, you can't divide by zero

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Yeah, the op is pretty good, make sure to redeem the codes to get free packs, and practice with the starting decks (and the decks you’re going to unlock in the next few days). Get familiar with the mechanics, try to figure out which playstyles, which colors you like. Find a decklist on the Internet that contains cards you enjoy playing, craft it if you can with the wildcards you’ll have obtained with the free packs.

Do you know what drafting is?

Got all the free stuff from the codes I found (Thanks!). And I'm just playing around with the base stuff I have. I used the protracker and there are only 3 decks I can make using wildcards and none I can make with my current collection, so I'll just keep playing and earning some cards here and there.

I am familiar with drafting from when I played Hearthstone years ago, I assume it's the same. Entry fee, draft a deck, survive as long as you can, higher the finish the better the rewards?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Douchebag posted:

I am familiar with drafting from when I played Hearthstone years ago, I assume it's the same. Entry fee, draft a deck, survive as long as you can, higher the finish the better the rewards?

It's similar, but not exactly the same. The biggest difference is that you're actually opening packs instead of just getting 3 random cards shown to you. You get 1 pick and pass to the person next to you. There's 8 people in a draft, so you see each pack twice.

Also, since the draft involves other players it's live and you can't close the app and come back to it (except for Quick Draft, which uses AI drafters).

Finally, I can't remember how the HS deck building component works exactly, but in MTG you will not use all the cards you draft. You'll draft uhhh a bunch (e: must be 45 since you draft from 3 packs), then use your best 23/24 and then fill out the rest with land to make a 40 card deck.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Zero VGS posted:

Am I supposed to craft certain cards right now to get the free wildcards, or are they gonna weasel out of that?

Standard bans should still hand out refunds but if you're not sure everyone has a playset of Faceless Havens and Alrund's so you'll find out for next time.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Eej posted:

Hullbreaker is still full power in Standard though.

Ah true, but I crafted them for Historic Jeskai. I'd forgotten standard even exists.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Midweek Magic is showing Esika's Chariot as being banned, but I can't find it on any of the lists :thunk:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TipTow posted:

Ah true, but I crafted them for Historic Jeskai. I'd forgotten standard even exists.

It'll probably still be ok? You can't Divide By Zero it anymore so now you just have to play around regular counterspells.

E: oops misread the change on divide by zero

Eej fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 25, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

oh it looks like you can divide by zero in alchemy as long as x ≤ 4. thanks for neutering the joke wotc

also, hope nobody crafted any inquisitor captains for the historic bant deck itt. Lmfao

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

camoseven posted:

It's similar, but not exactly the same. The biggest difference is that you're actually opening packs instead of just getting 3 random cards shown to you. You get 1 pick and pass to the person next to you. There's 8 people in a draft, so you see each pack twice.

Also, since the draft involves other players it's live and you can't close the app and come back to it (except for Quick Draft, which uses AI drafters).

Finally, I can't remember how the HS deck building component works exactly, but in MTG you will not use all the cards you draft. You'll draft uhhh a bunch (e: must be 45 since you draft from 3 packs), then use your best 23/24 and then fill out the rest with land to make a 40 card deck.

How long do these 8 person drafts take? Is it round robin after the draft is done?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

kalel posted:

also, hope nobody crafted any inquisitor captains for the historic bant deck itt. Lmfao

I feel much less bad about this one because I just assumed it was gonna get nerfed in the first round of nerfings

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

oh it looks like you can divide by zero in alchemy as long as x ≤ 4. thanks for neutering the joke wotc

I crafted 2 before the clone package showed up, and immediately put the brakes on once it started spitting out copies of itself. A pretty obvious, "well, that isn't going to live long."

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

quote:

After closely monitoring our first round of Alchemy rebalances, we're happy to report that they had minimal impact on Historic win rates among existing decks, but we also understand players' concern over future unknowns. Based on that feedback, we will be weighing the potential Historic impact more heavily in our rebalance decisions, starting with the adjustments we're announcing today.

just make a new eternal queue for paper cards! holy loving making GBS threads christ

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Douchebag posted:

How long do these 8 person drafts take? Is it round robin after the draft is done?

My best guess for the first question is 20-40 minutes? I do them all the time but never kept track lol.

For the second, no you will play people in other "pods" on your schedule. Draft, build the deck, click Play and the matchmaker will pair you against someone with a similar win/loss record and ranking. You can either do Best of 1 (Premier or Quick), where you try to get 7 wins without accumulating 3 losses, or Best of 3 (Traditional), where you try to get 3 match wins without... 2 losses? I usually play Bo1, not sure. The queue will tell you before you pay your gems/gold though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Most of these rebalances seem decent but I doubt they've hit either Dragons or Clerics hard enough to make a difference to them. And similarly Div0 hasn't been hit hard enough to make much difference to it at all, the learn isn't in any way the most impactful part of it IME, it's the fact that it can target stuff on the stack or stuff on the board.

Zero VGS posted:

Alchemy rebalances and bans don't give WCs as far as we are aware.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Douchebag posted:

How long do these 8 person drafts take?

I'd say 20 - 30 mins normally. Feels like less when you sit there though. You can practice with Quick Drafts if you expect interruptions/want time to read the cards, it's how I started off. Drafting with players is tons more fun though and feels more rewarding when you end up alone picking up all the goodies in the neglected color(s) of the draft.

I played HS for 4 straight years basically just slamming the draft mode until it got too boring for me, just my luck that Magic Arena drafts are so much more fun but also way more expensive. Probably spent almost $300 on MTGA since it launched in open beta, vs $0 for those 4 years of HS.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

in the past, whenever a card gets banned in any format, you get wildcards. So in theory, because epiphany, divide by zero, and haven are getting banned in standard and memory lapse in historic, crafting full playsets of those should yield 4 mythic, 8 rare, and 4 uncommon wcs

Should.

kalel fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 25, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

Alchemy rebalances and bans don't give WCs as far as we are aware.

They are Standard and Historic bans though.

quote:

Standard:

Alrund's Epiphany is banned.

Divide by Zero is banned.

Faceless Haven is banned.

Historic:

Memory Lapse is banned (from suspended).

Somehow I have 4 Memory Lapses even though I never crafted them, I guess I pulled them all from Strixhaven? My memory has lapsed on how I got them, but I'll be stoked if I get 4 Rare WC's back.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

It's time to smash historic with the free BW dungeon deck.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

camoseven posted:

Midweek Magic is showing Esika's Chariot as being banned, but I can't find it on any of the lists :thunk:

It's an Alchemy queue so you need to swap in the Alchemy version of the card

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i thought venture was neat and i'm definitely gonna try to make a venture deck happen with these changes

also t3feri is now te4i

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Everyone always complains about not being able to play jank and they made some jank better for free and now people are complaining that they won't play it

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

AngryBooch posted:

Does Town-Razer Tyrant even see that much competitive play to need a nerf? I don't think any of the changes to the Dungeon stuff will be enough to make it a viable build around, although that BW Knight might see some play now.

The changes to T3feri seem completely detached from the realities of the current Historic meta. They're changing stuff that people used to complain about in order to make the process seem more logical but it's just more churn that doesn't solve the core problems.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Town-Razer Tyrant was an incredibly obnoxius card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

when alchemy was introduced wotc claimed that while they obviously based the nerfs on the strongest cards, they based the initial buffs on "cards with the highest ratio of crafts to winrate" (paraphrasing). I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players crafted venture decks for standard and got crushed

...like me lol. it's actually the deck I used during the 5 wins alchemy event they had, which was my first and last time touching the format