Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

kalel posted:

isn't variance the point of a singleton format

That's what I thought too. You reduce variance with redundancy of effects, but a singleton format is inherently higher variance.

Seems like they are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
3 out of the 4 games I played were against decks that were clearly the random cards I own.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
this thread is a lot but i never thought i'd have to defend why bo3 is better than bo1 if you're playing a format that's supposed to be competitive

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
They mean variance like losing to mana screw or going into a bo1 match and having an opponent that top decks the exact card they need four times in a row. I get the appeal, but honestly I'd rather just play with a free mulligan like in commander formats because without a sideboard bo3 is one too many games no matter how you slice you it. I really wish my opponent in the last match had stuck around for the last game instead of quitting game three to a thoughtseize when we both had weak hands. Obviously, they did not know that my hand was as weak as theirs, but I can understand not wanting to have another 15 minute slug fest that ends with the boa constrictoresque high-end deck winning.

That being said, I'm enjoying gladiator so far, but that might be because of the soft competition and Magic is often a zero-sum fun game. Also, I can play absolutely bullshit cards like Demonic Tutor, Counterspell, Dark Ritual, un-nerfed Lier, etc.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 12, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ithle01 posted:

They mean variance like losing to mana screw or going into a bo1 match and having an opponent that top decks the exact card they need four times in a row. I get the appeal, but honestly I'd rather just play with a free mulligan like in commander formats because without a sideboard bo3 is one too many games no matter how you slice you it. I really wish my opponent in the last match had stuck around for the last game instead of quitting game three to a thoughtseize when we both had weak hands. Obviously, they did not know that my hand was as weak as theirs.

That being said, I'm enjoying gladiator so far, but that might be because of the soft competition and Magic is often a zero-sum fun game. Also, I can play absolutely bullshit cards like Demonic Tutor, Counterspell, Dark Ritual, un-nerfed Lier, etc.

yeah, there's a pretty significant difference between card variety and variance, thank you

there's no sideboard but you can still make smart mulligan choices and i think it works out pretty well, from all the gladiator tournaments i've seen

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Personally I don't understand why you'd play BO3 or BO5 Rock, Paper, Scissors when you can't even sideboard in extra Rocks

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if you do like gladiator and want to play it for reals after the queue goes away, the official gladiator discord is a good place with a lot of friendly people + finding matches is generally real easy. i think the server just passed 7k people?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

flatluigi posted:

yeah, there's a pretty significant difference between card variety and variance, thank you

there's no sideboard but you can still make smart mulligan choices and i think it works out pretty well, from all the gladiator tournaments i've seen

I was actually responding to C-Euro, I've had a few so my posts take a while to type out. I completely agree with you that bo3 is a far better competitive format. Although I would argue that gladiator is not a competitive format which is why I would almost prefer bo1 or somehow bo2 with the option for a rematch going to the loser of game one. That way if my opponent's deck hard counters my own I can pass and move on, but I would love the option to up to go against someone in a rubber match if the decks were fairly matched or my opponent won due to a 1-in-10 shot. Of course, there's absolutely no way to implement that in a way that doesn't get abused.

edit: the lack of a sideboard really kills my enthusiasm for a game two and three. Without a sideboard three games is one game too many.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 12, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ithle01 posted:

I was actually responding to C-Euro, I've had a few so my posts take a while to type out. I completely agree with you that bo3 is a far better competitive format. Although I would argue that gladiator is not a competitive format which is why I would almost prefer bo1 or somehow bo2 with the option for a rematch going to the loser of game one. That way if my opponent's deck hard counters my own I can pass and move on, but I would love the option to up to go against someone in a rubber match if the decks were fairly matched or my opponent won due to a 1-in-10 shot. Of course, there's absolutely no way to implement that in a way that doesn't get abused.

I think the difference here is you're coming at it from the direction of wanting to play a random queue (said queueing being why arena is mostly always played in bo1) whereas the rules were made considering a direct challenge, tournament focused format

there's definitely been some grumbliness both about it being a bo3 queue and the example decks not being all access w/r/t introducing people to the format and I can def agree with parts of the argument

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Trying to internalize this mindset

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I scored my first trophy and have to give most of the credit to the Discord channel, I highly recommend joining in if you want to improve your limited play. I got a bunch of helpful input throughout my draft and someone was even kind enough to copilot the deck for 7 of the games.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c6f99c0cf603466db7c236ea4e57f53d

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I liked gladiator and i liked it being a bo3 because I had a match where the first game my opponent pulled pulverized me with a god hand and i went "gently caress you, there's no way you can repeat that" and indeed I won game 2 and 3, proving that i was right and it was just a god hand rather than a good deck/play.

Ithle01 posted:

That way if my opponent's deck hard counters my own I can pass and move on, but I would love the option to up to go against someone in a rubber match if the decks were fairly matched or my opponent won due to a 1-in-10 shot. Of course, there's absolutely no way to implement that in a way that doesn't get abused.

The way to implement that is... that you can concede, at any time

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My mindset is exactly what's described when it's in-person competition, whether a game like MTG or a sport or whatever. When it's a faceless individual somewhere else? gently caress that cheating, lucky motherfucker in their stupid face.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
BO3 sucks because I want to see more crazy decks people cooked up when trying out a new format for the first time, and also because I want to sneak in a quick match on the toilet at work and not sit there for half an hour while we both wrangle our piles.

If I play against someone who doesn't have a pile but a super good deck, we both appreciate a quick stomping so we can move on I think.

I do not care about "it's supposed to be competitive" arguments because I am not competitive whatsoever; this is my opinion, not an objective analysis of the format. It gains weight because they want me to try out a new format, and the sheer length of games and lack of variety because I have to play the same op at least twice discourages that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's a fan made format made by self motivated players who want to play BO3 Historic Singleton so that's what you are queueing into...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

:hmmyes:

Shooting Blanks posted:

My mindset is exactly what's described when it's in-person competition, whether a game like MTG or a sport or whatever. When it's a faceless individual somewhere else? gently caress that cheating, lucky motherfucker in their stupid face.

:hmmyes:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You need to watch some Andrea Mengucci veeeedeos and watch him yell BRAVO OPPO BRAVO and do a one handed clap when his opponent owns him. Maybe start doing the same yourself

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I play Magic to see cards interact in fascinating ways, so when the op does something cool I'm happy even if it owns me. Hell, especially if it just completely destroys me, I respect that. They probably feel really good about that play too and I'm happy that they're happy. Games should be fun for everyone and not just for you, when you win, that's so reductive. Ideally, every turn both of you should feel good about doing the best plays you can.

Eej posted:

It's a fan made format made by self motivated players who want to play BO3 Historic Singleton so that's what you are queueing into...
What argument is this supposed to make. Did those players program the Arena format

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
It's really weird that they provided all these sample decks for the Gladiator event but don't actually allow you to use them for free or try them out.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Jarvisi posted:

It's really weird that they provided all these sample decks for the Gladiator event but don't actually allow you to use them for free or try them out.

The first announcement kind of you could use them without the cards and they edited the original announcement to clarify, it sucks. I wanted to play the bezelnek combo deck. It involves discarding a cow for some life to get priority during cleanup, then you reanimate jace and an era draw to win.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Genuinely betting they just couldn't get a queue that mixed premade decks and custom decks working right in time and rather than admit that they just pretended they never promised that

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

yeah that to me kind of kills the whole idea of the "community spotlight". maybe they were afraid of affecting the other queues so they made it more effort to play?

kalel fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 12, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

40 lbs to freedom posted:

its literally impossible for me to believe people enjoy playing pengine decks i tried once in brawl out of raw curiosity and conceded a won position because i was about to spend 30 minutes clicking around to win like 50 gold in an unranked format

u lack the will of a warrior

for anyone who wants to skip the brewing homework these are the Gladiator decklists that win MTGO leagues: https://mtgmelee.com/Decklists/Gladiator, with very recent cardpools (Last Week). I thought the format was mid (who the gently caress wants commander without commander? pfffft!) but these aggro decks are all sweet and really easy to pilot and bullshit Grixis control players don't always perfectly curve into bolas in this format, so all in all who can say if it's bad or not

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

(who the gently caress wants commander without commander? pfffft!)

me, i want it

i'm more happier with whatever bullshit my opponent pulls out if they had to actually draw it

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

You need to watch some Andrea Mengucci veeeedeos

This is just good advice in general

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I think what I like most about Gladiator is that your 'pile of good cards and/or cards I like' can actually hold it's own. I'm currently running a Rakdos Sacrifice deck, and getting to play every Standard sac deck from the last three years at once makes me nostalgic. Turns out Witches Oven and Oni-Cult Anvil make a really great combo with each other.

Kim Jaym Il
Dec 14, 2010

what? i
don't
have
fucking
ears

kalel posted:

yeah that to me kind of kills the whole idea of the "community spotlight". maybe they were afraid of affecting the other queues so they made it more effort to play?

My money is on the post above yours, they've done both precon and BYOD events before, never both at once. Probably couldn't get it working.

I was going to say the only thing they program consistently well without massive gently caress ups is the store, but they managed to poo poo the bed with that this week too lmao

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

if any of you nerds code go get a job at wotc and fix thsi broken rear end game/app

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Tibalt posted:

I think what I like most about Gladiator is that your 'pile of good cards and/or cards I like' can actually hold it's own. I'm currently running a Rakdos Sacrifice deck, and getting to play every Standard sac deck from the last three years at once makes me nostalgic. Turns out Witches Oven and Oni-Cult Anvil make a really great combo with each other.

Yeah, like companions having a guaranteed card is really good. Having played a couple of games of gladiator I'm undecided if having a sideboard would have a material impact unless you were to swap the full 15. Biggest issue I've had us even with the default 40 lands I've had 2 games of one landers in my 7 and 6 card hands.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bust Rodd posted:

u lack the will of a warrior

for anyone who wants to skip the brewing homework these are the Gladiator decklists that win MTGO leagues: https://mtgmelee.com/Decklists/Gladiator, with very recent cardpools (Last Week). I thought the format was mid (who the gently caress wants commander without commander? pfffft!) but these aggro decks are all sweet and really easy to pilot and bullshit Grixis control players don't always perfectly curve into bolas in this format, so all in all who can say if it's bad or not

Yeah I spent about 40 minutes almost making decks then realizing I'm not taking account any of the Real Good cards because it's been so long that they've been in standard. Some reference would be a good start.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

40 lbs to freedom posted:

if any of you nerds code go get a job at wotc and fix thsi broken rear end game/app

any sane or competent dev knows better than to work in game development, so sadly their flagship app will be broken forever

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I feel like giving everyone a couple hundred free historic singletons would have been easy to justify for this, but what do I know.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

kalel posted:

any sane or competent dev knows better than to work in game development, so sadly their flagship app will be broken forever

Especially one that supposedly pays as poorly compared to its peers as WotC does.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I like Bo3 but gosh it sure is a harsh dose of reality switching to a format with no opening hand smoothing. I don't think I ever saw an opening hand with 0 or 5 lands and yesterday I got like 5 or 6.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
And any dev who did go to wotc would be put on implementing whatever new wildcard sink comes next anyway, not fixing old poo poo.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Ariong posted:

I like Bo3 but gosh it sure is a harsh dose of reality switching to a format with no opening hand smoothing. I don't think I ever saw an opening hand with 0 or 5 lands and yesterday I got like 5 or 6.
Yeah the hand-smoother is really robust and the effect is really noticeable. A lot of players are going to be doing their first mull-to-5s lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Simply Simon posted:

I play Magic to see cards interact in fascinating ways, so when the op does something cool I'm happy even if it owns me. Hell, especially if it just completely destroys me, I respect that. They probably feel really good about that play too and I'm happy that they're happy. Games should be fun for everyone and not just for you, when you win, that's so reductive. Ideally, every turn both of you should feel good about doing the best plays you can.

What argument is this supposed to make. Did those players program the Arena format

The devs put in a format that the players were playing. Honestly I think people would be more pissed off if they could finally play their mode officially in the client except it's BO1.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Levin posted:

I scored my first trophy and have to give most of the credit to the Discord channel, I highly recommend joining in if you want to improve your limited play. I got a bunch of helpful input throughout my draft and someone was even kind enough to copilot the deck for 7 of the games.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c6f99c0cf603466db7c236ea4e57f53d

This, if you are interested at all in drafting but are nervous about what to do or worried about wasting your hard-earned resources, the Discord channel members are very willing to sit in with your drafts and games and discuss picks and plays.

That said, this deck was REALLY nice to see in operation, alongside that one Gruul deck Simon had. 🔥🌲

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Eej posted:

The devs put in a format that the players were playing. Honestly I think people would be more pissed off if they could finally play their mode officially in the client except it's BO1.
why not let people choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

why not let people choose?

Risks destroying queue times which they are openly very cautious about.