Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

OTOH, I do have a playset of Body Launderers which are great indeed, so maybe I should try to figure out how to maximize their value.
Ladies, gents and beings of mysterious gender, the Laundromat is open for business:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The World Spell also looks absolutely bananas if you can ramp to it quickly enough. 7 drop comes down turn... 5 earliest if you ramp every turn with currently available cards? 4 maybe?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

C-Euro posted:

Hype for painlands and Liliana of the Veil on Arena :toot: Hopefully this is a good Limited set so I feel good about doing some drafts to find those cards.

Have to imagine that with 6/10 painlands in DMU, the remaining 4 will be in Brothers' War

Yes they will.

https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/1560341773116854272

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

babypolis posted:

getting to top 250 rank gives you an invitation to the monthly mythic qualifiers

251-1200 gives you 20 play in points, enough for one of the play in qualifiers that happen a week before and a day before the mythic qualifier

honestly unless you really care about playing every mythic qualifier the play points are usually better, since those events tend to have pretty good EV. so like this month, top 250 qualifies you for a lovely alchemy tournament, so id rather just have the 20 points to use on an actual limited qualifier

How bad is the end-of season grind for this thing... if I'm around #1200 on the last day am I gonna need to spend all day grinding to be in contention lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it is extremely competitive

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm I don't think I need that stress then, I will just do my dailies as normal and if it happens, it happens

Edit: on the other hand, I am "feeling it"

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 18, 2022

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

40 lbs to freedom posted:

how fast do you fall mythic rank in this game if you just dont play for a day

fwiw i havent played a ranked game since i asked this and ive gone from around 400 to around 1000. which is like, way less than i expected. if i were to try when do i need to be <1200? midnight on the 31st?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
did...did they finally fix the audio bug? I've been playing for an hour and everything still works! it is a miracle, halleloo!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Audio is only included for mastery pass subscribers. Did you already buy the one for Dominaria?

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Easiest trophy of my NEO career (and second 7-0 ever). Double Glimpse the Unspeakable, double Modern Age, triple Okiba Reckoner Raid. Took out a top 300 Mythic player on the way (Gold 3 - Plat 4).

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
Speaking about prerelease bundles, assuming you buy both for every time they’re out that’s what, like $100 x 4 per year?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yup. Usually most people just buy one of the bundles though which is a more "reasonable" $200 a year.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Death of Rats posted:

Easiest trophy of my NEO career (and second 7-0 ever). Double Glimpse the Unspeakable, double Modern Age, triple Okiba Reckoner Raid. Took out a top 300 Mythic player on the way (Gold 3 - Plat 4).

Buy a lottery ticket, goddamn.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Death of Rats posted:

Hell yeah, loved drafting Sagas + Ninjitsu in this format.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
Just the usual experience when I'm two matches away from being promoted to Diamond:

I swear to god that the game does this on purpose.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So, this meta is gonna be fairly firmly defined by Lightning Strike, right?

E: I assume the rotation graphic is inaccurate when it says that HBG is part of the upcoming rotation? Or is that just for Alchemy or whatever?

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 19, 2022

Kim Jaym Il
Dec 14, 2010

what? i
don't
have
fucking
ears

thespaceinvader posted:

So, this meta is gonna be fairly firmly defined by Lightning Strike, right?

E: I assume the rotation graphic is inaccurate when it says that HBG is part of the upcoming rotation? Or is that just for Alchemy or whatever?

Yeah that's the alchemy rotation schedule.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It also doesn't mention Explorer at all lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kaaj posted:

Just the usual experience when I'm two matches away from being promoted to Diamond:

I swear to god that the game does this on purpose.

technically speaking, it does do it on purpose. the game is trying to keep you at 50% winrate

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Don't keep playing if you're losing nonstop, take a break because it's probably not just bad luck but also you being on tilt

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Si LotR and Doctor Who in MTG huh?

It’s kinda like wizards are trying to turn magic into Gamemaster Anthony’s birthday.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Rotation is comming up. Time to dig out all those old cards that will be gone soon. And relive the glory days of when they were playable:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MikeCrotch posted:

It also doesn't mention Explorer at all lol

explorer doesn't rotate

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Captain Invictus posted:

Don't keep playing if you're losing nonstop, take a break because it's probably not just bad luck but also you being on tilt

TBH I'm quite good with dealing with these bad streaks - I just find it funny how RNG works. When hiking the ranks I usually do so with a winrate slightly above 50%, mainly because I very rarely play tier 1 decks. Which on it's own is a slow process but it's fun so that's all that matters. And then once in a blue moon there's a streak of 5-10+ loses in a row which first of all happens quite often but second of all - it resets the progress from at least the last week or so.

I did need to take a break after every few losses until Alrund's Epiphany and Divide By Zero were banned though.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lone Goat posted:

explorer doesn't rotate

Right but it says you can still play your cards in Historic

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you can't play all your cards in explorer

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yeah, I think that's talking about alchemy cards, none of which are legal in explorer

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

A Moose posted:

yeah, I think that's talking about alchemy cards, none of which are legal in explorer

This feels like the main difference now, between it and historic, right? Really like that it stayed that way, giving a format without the alchemy cards. I change my opinion daily whether I like them or not, but having a choice here is exactly what was missing when alchemy got initially released.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kaaj posted:

This feels like the main difference now, between it and historic, right? Really like that it stayed that way, giving a format without the alchemy cards. I change my opinion daily whether I like them or not, but having a choice here is exactly what was missing when alchemy got initially released.

alchemy is standard + rebalanced cards + unique alchemy cards

explorer is everything on arena that's also pioneer legal

historic is everything on arena, using the rebalanced versions of cards if applicable

(and all of them have their own banlists)

kalel fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 19, 2022

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

kaaj posted:

I think a big difference In historic is also the mh2 cards that were added in jumpstart and the strixhaven mystical archive. Lots of other little differences too, but those are big ones to me.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the sets that separate historic and Explorer are

• the digital-only alchemy sets,
  • jumpstart and jumpstart: historic horizons (which included a mix of some modern horizons 1 and 2 cards, digital-only cards, and cards from the paper jumpstart product),
  • the strixhaven mystical archive,
  • the historic anthologies,
  • and the starter deck cards which don't exist in paper but existed before alchemy

kalel fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 19, 2022

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
Is there maybe a particular order in which books in MTG universe should be read in? I stumbled upon https://cardboardkeeper.com/what-order-should-i-read-magic-the-gathering-books-in/ and I'm wondering if there's any other suggestions for that too?

My experience with Magic was getting few boosters in like 1997 or so, saying, oh that's cool and then not being interested in the game for the next 20+ or so years. There's the whole thing with return to Dominaria now and I don't even know what's so special about that plane, other than that it debuted in one of the earlier sets. Just wanted to level-up a bit my understanding of the lore.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Simone Poodoin posted:

Si LotR and Doctor Who in MTG huh?

It’s kinda like wizards are trying to turn magic into Gamemaster Anthony’s birthday.

Don’t buy the cards you don’t like

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

GonSmithe posted:

But Doctor, I am the mtga thread.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

They already printed my little pony into the game, there's no downhill anymore

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dominaria was like "the" setting for Magic the Gathering for years.

I remember getting a free copy of one of the books of the "greensleeves"(?) saga and I could have mailed in a form to get a mana vault...

Edit: sorry it was a mana crypt

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 19, 2022

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just beat a rakdos midrange deck with my abzan greasefang to get into diamond for the season. Highest I've ever bothered going in ranked. It all came down to game 3, he decided to block my Esika's Chariot with his 4/4 hearse, and then exile 2 cards to make his a 6/6. But I had a hearse of my own, so he targeted 2 lands in my GY, and I responded by exiling them myself, killing my Chariot, but also getting rid of his instant speed GY hate. He played a Graveyard Trespasser to eat my chariot, but I topdecked a Raffine's Informant to go with the Parhelion and Greasefang in my hand. He had a Bonecrusher in play, he could have just traded that for my Chariot, but he got greedy. I was only a turn off from hardcasting Parhelion anyway and crewing it with cat tokens.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

GonSmithe posted:

Ok?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

GonSmithe posted:

Sorry but playing Gandalf in Magic The Gathering completely ruins my immersion. Wizards of the Coast, you have lost a customer today (who did not put any money in and played for free)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Locust God seems like a fun brawl commander, but if I make it will I be immediately thrown into the hellqueue, even if I just want to transmogrify into sage of the falls?