Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«476 »
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

So just ban Agent because no one likes it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

This isn't quite true. While there were other reasons for Nexus' ban in bo1, there is another precedent in that Rampaging Ferocidon was briefly unbanned in standard bo3 but not bo1 when M20 came out. This shows they're willing to consider bo1 and bo3 different formats, which is pretty much what they are, so good on them.

However you feel about bo1, it is the most popular way to play arena and they're not going to let a deck that wins games based on its starting hand run around with an 80% winrate or whatever Brad Nelson's number was. They're not going to do that out of the goodness of their hearts, but because they need their human bots to not mass ragequit after they keep getting their 2nd land (and the 3rd and the 4th and the 5th) stolen.

Then ban agent. My point is that basing total bans on best of one is nonsense.

It's an inately poorly balanced format that has a 0 mana you win the game that one player gets as their companion fifty percent of the time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

TURDS BOD

I want Agent banned more than anything but Iím also afraid itís the only thing they are going to ban. Hopefully Nexus in Historic as well.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bust Rodd posted:

Hopefully Nexus in Historic as well.

how dare you

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I want Agent banned more than anything but Iím also afraid itís the only thing they are going to ban. Hopefully Nexus in Historic as well.

You leave nexus out of this you brigand

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Ultimately, Agent isn't the problem. The real issue is that too many cards have been released over the past several sets (T3feri, Narset, Fires, Winota, Lucca, plus companions in general) that effectively break the fundamental rules of the game. One or two of these on their own wouldn't be as bad, but now we've got this giant mess of cards that provide an insane combination of control and ramp in one deck. It's a very specific ramp to a very specific creature, but ultimately that's the race.

Agent is the linchpin of these decks, the unfun wincon. Ultimately it's a 7CMC creature that should have a powerful effect - but for a very high cost. When that cost is not only lowered but accelerated, it becomes overwhelming. When other cards in the combo limit your ability to interact with it while simultaneously ramping towards it, it becomes a game of who goes first and who has the perfect curve.

Ban Agent. Probably ban Fires. T3feri and Narset are rotating out anyway. I don't have a good answer for companions, we'll see what they come up with. WotC said they wanted to ramp up the power levels in Standard up until Ikoria and they were probably more successful than they intended. Now they have to fix it.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 30, 2020

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Sedisp posted:

Then ban agent. My point is that basing total bans on best of one is nonsense.

It's an inately poorly balanced format that has a 0 mana you win the game that one player gets as their companion fifty percent of the time.

Yeah, that is fair. I still I'm not sure Winota won't eat a ban at some point, just because I have zero faith in wotc to not print another human on the level of Agent or even Marauders in the next year. Maybe without T3feri it'll be safe to play instant speed interaction again and bo1 will be safe from the menace of a 4 mana 4/4 that doesn't have an ETB effect and isn't even guaranteed to do anything when you jump through the hoops it asks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Can you spectate a friend yet like Iím hearthstone?

No this isn't a thing (tho it probably should be)

«476 »