Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That really is super cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Isn't Liliana calling herself something else now after the second WAR book?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Yeah but at which rank? My winota deck is blowing through gold right now but got eaten in the event. I assume you mean “easier than where all the good players are”?

I dunno. I only play up to platinum in ranked every season. I would imagine you must have had an unlucky event, or a bad Winota deck (You are playing historical I assume)

I am pulling 7 wins all day with Naya Winota in historic

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

Finally there was a set of stuff to support Teferi, which were a Protege (Wizard creature, I think with a loot effect? They really rushed through that), and a couple of enchantments, one of which draws an extra card per draw that isn't your draw step for 2BB.

For 2UU you mean

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

JakeP posted:

I dunno. I only play up to platinum in ranked every season. I would imagine you must have had an unlucky event, or a bad Winota deck (You are playing historical I assume)

I am pulling 7 wins all day with Naya Winota in historic

It might have been bad luck. I’m like 11-2 in silver/gold but went 1-3 in the event. Hence my question.

To pivot to a more fun topic, I love Mill archetypes. I’m excited for some of these m21 cards! My dimir mill deck will only get stronger

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The card I'm excited for most right now is Containment Priest for my Historic Mardu Humans deck. Grafdigger's Cage was doing OK as anti-Winota and reanimator but I'm eager to try out the Priest.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Looks like the pre-order bundles are up. Those Teferi sleeves/card styles look sick.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

JakeP posted:

For 2UU you mean

Yes i do.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Anyone know anything about Magic: Legends? I got a thing to play the alpha and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Its diablo but magic branded

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Paul Zuvella posted:

never played diablo, wish i'd never played magic

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
cathartic reunion (discard colossification) / storm herald + return colossification + fling is a new one, lol

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Paul Zuvella posted:

Aww. I thought they were bringing Legends to MTGA for a second.

Tabernacle of Pendral Vale when?!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Looks like the set mastery value is back up for this coming set.

Base Set Mastery

36x Core Set 2021 booster packs
5x Core Set 2021 Mastery Orbs

Set Mastery Pass

Ugin, the Spirit Dragon Avatar

Cards and Boosters

20 booster packs (x5 ELD, x5 THB, x5 IKO, x5 M21)
10 mythic rare Individual Card Rewards (ICRs)
Level 91 and Beyond: Uncommon ICR (1:20 Upgrade Rate)

Cosmetics

Best Friend Basic Sleeve
15 common Card Styles
10 uncommon Card Styles
25 Mastery Orbs (each can be redeemed for card styles on the Core Set 2021 Mastery Tree)
5 Dog-themed Pet Variants
Level 85 Ugin Exquisite Sleeve (Exquisite = Card Sleeve with VFX)

Gold and Gems

4,000 Gold
1,200 Gems

Events

Player Draft Token (Can be redeemed for a Premier or Traditional Draft)

Free levels topping out at 72 as opposed to 60 and paid levels at 90 as opposed to 80 brings it back up to pre-IKO levels I think?

The pre-order stuff seems bad though, the Mastery bundle is worse value by 800 gems than just buying the stuff outright with a 50 buck gem pack. The packs are better value than any you can get in bundles though I think? So if you're spending gems on packs buying the pre-order packs is worth it, but the mastery pass and entries and so on are onyl worth it if you care about the cosmetics. Does that sound right?

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

You were all right about Crokeyz. I just clicked on his stream and... yeah, seems like he might be just a prick.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Welp, I was planning on just waiting for a set or 2 for something good to reanimate in historic, and then they just reprinted Containment Priest and Tormod's Crypt, on top of leyline of the void and Grafdigger's Cage and Soul Guide Lantern. Graveyard decks are NOT ALLOWED in historic.

Edit: its actually super hosed up that they even printed Unburial Rites without every single hate card in modern already in the format as a ~safety valve~. They must have forgotten to add Rest in Peace and Scavenging Ooze, I assume they'll be adding them in as soon as possible

Edit 2: Scavenging ooze is in the set. loving lmao

A Moose fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 5, 2020

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

thespaceinvader posted:

Looks like the set mastery value is back up for this coming set.

Base Set Mastery

36x Core Set 2021 booster packs
5x Core Set 2021 Mastery Orbs

Set Mastery Pass

Ugin, the Spirit Dragon Avatar

Cards and Boosters

20 booster packs (x5 ELD, x5 THB, x5 IKO, x5 M21)
10 mythic rare Individual Card Rewards (ICRs)
Level 91 and Beyond: Uncommon ICR (1:20 Upgrade Rate)

Cosmetics

Best Friend Basic Sleeve
15 common Card Styles
10 uncommon Card Styles
25 Mastery Orbs (each can be redeemed for card styles on the Core Set 2021 Mastery Tree)
5 Dog-themed Pet Variants
Level 85 Ugin Exquisite Sleeve (Exquisite = Card Sleeve with VFX)

Gold and Gems

4,000 Gold
1,200 Gems

Events

Player Draft Token (Can be redeemed for a Premier or Traditional Draft)

Free levels topping out at 72 as opposed to 60 and paid levels at 90 as opposed to 80 brings it back up to pre-IKO levels I think?

The pre-order stuff seems bad though, the Mastery bundle is worse value by 800 gems than just buying the stuff outright with a 50 buck gem pack. The packs are better value than any you can get in bundles though I think? So if you're spending gems on packs buying the pre-order packs is worth it, but the mastery pass and entries and so on are onyl worth it if you care about the cosmetics. Does that sound right?

Thanks for the effort post! When does the current pass close, end of June?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Pass usually closes the day before release. They used to have time tracking for exactly when in your profile but they removed it in an update a couple of weeks ago. The patch notes say it's back again, but I don't see it.

(It wasn't much effort to copy and paste the announcement thread ;) )

In this case the pass and the season close either at the same time or a week apart, I think? Which is unusual.

This season is giving out M21 packs, so I think it closes after release?

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 5, 2020

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Some people still have the countdown timer in their profile. Mine came back. It seems very buggy.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

24-25th timezone depending. It says when you click on the current mastery reward on your main screen.

Mastery is tied to set release.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I've drifted back to Dimir Flash now that the nerf is in place, and it's still not a particularly good deck despite the absence of most companions (I still ran into a Yorion someone tried casting and had to waste a spell countering it). That said, I enjoy the long drawn out tense duel gameplay of it, so I'll probably keep loving around with it for a while anyway.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

MTGAzone has a full list of the available spoilers being collated now. Some interesting stuff.

https://mtgazone.com/set/m21/

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Just when I thought I might hate drafting, I went 5-3 (in Bronze) and I'm irrationally happy about it. I quick-drafted another cycling deck, which I wanted to avoid, but I grabbed Winota P1P1 and didn't see any reason to exit RW. Cycling seemed really open, but I never saw a Zenith Flare or Fox. I lost a game where half my payoffs got countered and the other half were on the bottom of my deck, and I won a game where I made a lot of dumb mistakes including accidentally skipping my turn. I wondered how much help Winota would be, but she added a game-winning Snare Tactician to the attack in a couple games. I still might hate drafting though, it's hard to keep up when I can only draft once or twice before the sets rotate.

I tried the FNM event but it seems hard to win with precon decks. :( I played a planeswalker deck that kept killing all my creatures and exiling my lands. Very rude! :mad:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

Just when I thought I might hate drafting, I went 5-3 (in Bronze) and I'm irrationally happy about it. I quick-drafted another cycling deck, which I wanted to avoid, but I grabbed Winota P1P1 and didn't see any reason to exit RW. Cycling seemed really open, but I never saw a Zenith Flare or Fox. I lost a game where half my payoffs got countered and the other half were on the bottom of my deck, and I won a game where I made a lot of dumb mistakes including accidentally skipping my turn. I wondered how much help Winota would be, but she added a game-winning Snare Tactician to the attack in a couple games. I still might hate drafting though, it's hard to keep up when I can only draft once or twice before the sets rotate.

I tried the FNM event but it seems hard to win with precon decks. :( I played a planeswalker deck that kept killing all my creatures and exiling my lands. Very rude! :mad:

If you wanna learn not to hate it, spend your gold doing it. You get a quick draft every 4 to 5 days, or a player draft every week and a bit.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

MTGAzone has a full list of the available spoilers being collated now. Some interesting stuff.

Its interesting that Azusa is a rare and not a mythic. I actually just sold my Kamigawa copy last week for $32. Have to imagine that price is going to crash now.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

PerniciousKnid posted:

You can check out MTGA Zone for a budget deck:
https://mtgazone.com/mtg-arena-budget-historic-decks/

I think once you build one competitive standard deck, you should feel ok just jamming drafts.

My mentality for Quick Draft when starting out is that it's a fair value if you raredraft and get 0 wins. If you're a standard player, it's worth it because building a collection means you can keep up with meta changes. And drafting is skill you will get better at just by doing more of them.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

thespaceinvader posted:

"Mills" seems to be a word now. Interesting.

https://mtgazone.com/card/teferis-tutelage/

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

"Mills" seems to be a word now. Interesting.

https://mtgazone.com/card/teferis-tutelage/

Yup, they made it a keyword.

Seems like a very sensible one to keyword to be honest.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Did some quests over morning coffee earlier and am loving the deletion of Agent from the format. Jeskai walkers is playable again!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Corbeau posted:

Did some quests over morning coffee earlier and am loving the deletion of Agent from the format. Jeskai walkers is playable again!

Same and also Fires

The companion nerf is really really lovely though. It really should have been auto mull to 6 or 5 but oh well

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
That Mythic Tefari O_O I can see some very annoying Planeswalker decks coming out. I also wanted to say that the Companion nerf is very clunky and I'm not a fan.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Do you think they'll put the ikoria mastery pass on sale before the season ends?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It seems highly unlikely they would ever do that as it would negatively impact all existing buyers of the pass and all potential buys of future passes.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If they ever put a mastery pass on sale, the correct strategy until the end of time will be "wait until the very last day to buy a mastery pass." Probably not what they want.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, I don't see them ever putting Mastery Passes on sale unless it's the pre-order price.

I just cracked equivalent value on the Ikoria Mastery Pass yesterday and bought it at like level 62. Never got the Theros Pass because I never cracked the equivalent value on it ironically.

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

I just got a Gem refund for buying the Agent and Fires alternate card styles in the past. If you're a massive piece of poo poo like myself who has been abusing those cards for the past year or so enough to warrent buying those, yeah send a ticket in.

They gave me 2000 gems which I'm pretty sure is more than they cost when I bought them in the daily deals. pretty good

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ATTN there is now a dog pet, repeat there is now a dog pet.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

His name is Darius Osworth Gerhardt the Fourth

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

There are at least two dog pets. Or there will be once the mastery pass starts.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

GrandpaPants posted:

That is the only thing that makes me want to preorder but 100 is steep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Being unable to hang out much in person these days, my brother and I have been playing a ton of arena. Was kind of thinking about gifting him the beginner’s bundle for his birthday, but 1) I don’t even know if gifting in arena is possible, and 2) maybe the mastery pass is a better value.

I know the mastery passes have been kind of variable in terms of value. What’s the situation now?