Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Funkdreamer posted:

People used to bring their Temur Rec decks into Unranked so they wouldn't get trounced by all the aggro in Bo1 Ranked, and I had fun snapping off wins with mill. Mind you, this was before Uro.

You know what I haven't seen anyone cast in all this time of post-M21, is Sparkhunter Masticore. Ugin can't kill it, it eats Planeswalkers, and it can't even be wrathed if you leave mana up for it. Is there any competitive BO1 deck that can run them? Maybe some kind of mutate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I’m not running a creature that generates negative value into teferi, personally

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Zero VGS posted:

You know what I haven't seen anyone cast in all this time of post-M21, is Sparkhunter Masticore. Ugin can't kill it, it eats Planeswalkers, and it can't even be wrathed if you leave mana up for it. Is there any competitive BO1 deck that can run them? Maybe some kind of mutate?

You need to hold up 3 mana to let it be indestructible. That is a lot for most decks.
If I find it in a pack I would run it in UW control as an alternative to Dream Trawler.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zero VGS posted:

I defy anyone here to deck someone with Mono-U Mill in BO1 standard. It can't loving be done. The Dimir Peer into the Abyss + Teferi's Tutelege however is a humorous instant win if you can somehow pull it off.

Do my deck, you'll feel better. Not as effective as it used to be but I'm in Plat3 with it right now and I even blew away a guy who cast 3 Uros:

Was there anything in M21 that could improve it? I haven't really checked.

Chandra's Pyreling maybe

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Time posted:

I’m not running a creature that generates negative value into teferi, personally

another victim of "standard cards have too many abilities"

all these words have made fools of us all

redux
Apr 23, 2008

Time posted:

Might want to think about that one a bit (it has pro-teferi).

E: beaten

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Time posted:

Oh yeah I didn't even catch that you have to discard a card to cast it. Even without that it's still not overpowered against these bullshit PWs.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’m not so sure it would be super playable even without the discard clause. I really wish it had haste.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Oops, teferi cannot bounce it HOWEVER it’s still not a good idea to 2-1 yourself in the format where everything else 2-1s you, like teferi, time raveler

I’m still owned!!!!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

Interesting take. I felt like BW is the strongest, getting two 5/5 fliers by turn 3 is pretty strong. Especially if you follow it up by getting another one every turn you can dominate pretty solidly.
Maybe that is just because I play archfiend in standard and know how to pilot it better then the other decks.
Cycling is extremely random as it always is.

Cycling deck is poo poo because it has twice as many lands as it should so you just get mana-flooded as your 4/4 fox watches archfiends fly over your head for lethal.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
The Ominous Seas deck is hilarious

I love any deck where I have to cautiously glance at my dwindling library as my hand fills with two dozen cards

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I defy anyone here to deck someone with Mono-U Mill in BO1 standard. It can't loving be done. The Dimir Peer into the Abyss + Teferi's Tutelege however is a humorous instant win if you can somehow pull it off.

Do my deck, you'll feel better. Not as effective as it used to be but I'm in Plat3 with it right now and I even blew away a guy who cast 3 Uros:

Was there anything in M21 that could improve it? I haven't really checked.

im missing 3 fervent champs :saddowns:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
So I've missed out on all the pretty basic lands since Rebecca Guays, how much jumpstart do i need to play to get them all this time took

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the crucial question:

Do you play all five shocks?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sephiRoth IRA posted:

So I've missed out on all the pretty basic lands since Rebecca Guays, how much jumpstart do i need to play to get them all this time took

If you want all of them guaranteed, infinity. If you do 40 runs, you'll have a 98% chance of finding any given mythic-theme land. (Assuming the same distribution as in paper).

If you're only interested in one special land of each colour, and don't care which one it is, then you probably only need to do like three runs if you're careful with what you pick.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

ex post facho posted:

im missing 3 fervent champs :saddowns:

There's some other 1/1 guys like haste goblins or that Amass zombie but none as good as them obviously. You'll still get wins! You just won't get those lol hands where you have 3 champs to open with.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Lone Goat posted:

Cutting Thrill from the prowess/Tutelage deck seems like a horrible idea

After reading this I cut Frantic for Thrill, worked great.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the crucial question:

Show us the sideboard

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the crucial question:

there's 3 cards i want to cut and none of them are shocks

wei posted:

Show us the sideboard

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Jabor posted:

If you want all of them guaranteed, infinity. If you do 40 runs, you'll have a 98% chance of finding any given mythic-theme land. (Assuming the same distribution as in paper).

If you're only interested in one special land of each colour, and don't care which one it is, then you probably only need to do like three runs if you're careful with what you pick.

I love that witchcraft swamp and doggo plains but otherwise theyre all pretty neat

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

After reading this I cut Frantic for Thrill, worked great.

I'm curious how the games went. Was it tome anima beatdown as predicted? Did you mill people out?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the crucial question:

Show us the board, but yes, definitely play all the shocks. Probably kill the two counterspells and the Slag.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Will the quests reset for Jumpstart?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I am reaaaaal tired of the delayed ban announcements into a staggered patch date. Just utterly drains my desire to play.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm playing a Transmogrify deck, and my play of the day was just using Transmogrify on an opponent's creature, to win a game. That must be some kind of achievement.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

wei posted:

Show us the sideboard

currently hoping to cut the cancel, i don't know if there's anything i bring in. i'd probably be running three frantics if i had them, but not two.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sparkhunter Manticore could just be generically indestructible and I still don't think it would see play TBH

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Will the quests reset for Jumpstart?
Almost certainly not, the reset corresponds to the starting of a new Mastery track.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

currently hoping to cut the cancel, i don't know if there's anything i bring in. i'd probably be running three frantics if i had them, but not two.

Cut the two counterspells and the turn to slag, drop the protege for the bolt hound.

E: wait, I thought you have 3 cuts to make not one. Just drop the turn to slag and put the bolt hound in over the denial.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Am I totally insane and offbase for thinking they might just reprint Shocklands in Zendiakar for September? Standard without them is gonna be, uh, like super slow and even rampier without at least the mana we have now, and it would be cool if more 2-color aggro decks were viable with even better mana, but at least shocks would be cool.

Then again with temples having just been reprinted I doubt they would give us the exact same standard mana base for the next 2 years as the last two years.

Are we supposed to lean really hard into Triomes and run Triomes in 2-color decks with an ugly and aesthetically off color! DISGUSTING! I will barf!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I dunno but I hope they print fetches so I can thin my standard decks!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I feel pretty strongly that shocks are too tied to Ravnica's setting. Also, they're strong enough that you want them rotating out every couple of years just for variety. I'm sure the 2026 fall set will be Ravnica 4 or whatever and they'll make a triumphant return.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
they could also put them in core sets because those have reprints from all the settings. that said, even if the next set of lands is great, mana is going to be trash for aggro regardless because the other land options to pair with them arent good for trying to curve out. its going to take like 4 sets assuming they do 5 different duals in each one

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Drewjitsu posted:

I'm curious how the games went. Was it tome anima beatdown as predicted? Did you mill people out?

The final boss was both of us hitting Tutelage on curve, but I went first and the Thrills hit them harder. It won me another game, and my one loss was hitting it on curve but they had some ridiculous counter acceleration and I couldn't recover.

Anima helped close out the rest, but Immolater did some work too. Looking at the deck on a little confused on how I got to 7, but I probably had some soft matchups because my limited rank is trash right now.

Big fan of Traitorous Greed in UR.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Traitorous greed is generally pretty good in this format IMO, it's not somethign your should necessarily pass up just ebcause you don't have sac outlets. It's a very aggressive format, and being able to take control of a key blocker and swing with it even for just one turn can be enough to get you over the line.

Not to mention that one of the best sac outlets in the format is also monored (Hobblefiend) and common, so picking up an early Greed can easily enough translate into being able to just feed a key creature to the Hobblefiend.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

-Slag -Protege -Cancel -Read the Tides -Shock +Bolt Hound +Turret Ogre +2 Frantic Inventory

Most games should be over before you get to 6 mana so I don't see Read the Tides being cast. This sort of deck really wants cantrips for consistency and prowess fuel, and 2 Frantics is fine. Alternatively, you can keep the 5th Shock, leave Frantics out, and put in another Lofty or Burn Bright.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

wei posted:

-Slag -Protege -Cancel -Read the Tides -Shock +Bolt Hound +Turret Ogre +2 Frantic Inventory

Most games should be over before you get to 6 mana so I don't see Read the Tides being cast. This sort of deck really wants cantrips for consistency and prowess fuel, and 2 Frantics is fine. Alternatively, you can keep the 5th Shock, leave Frantics out, and put in another Lofty or Burn Bright.

Is Burn Bright that good without Crash Through? This deck doesn't go very wide aside from a couple gobwiz

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
State of the game:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-july-2020-07-15

Jumpstart tomorrow (the ICRs are apparently Jumpstart only)
Arena Open (Historic) Aug 1. Same format as the last one (Day 1 is Bo1, Day 2 is Bo3 and requires qualification).
Amohkhet Remastered (~340 cards) Aug 13
Pioneer Masters Q4 (no further info, other than they expect there to be multiples of these).
Historic Anthology 4 Q1 2021

Dom human drafts are coming around, followed by Throne
Workshops are dead

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 15, 2020

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Yeah, you're right. Was thinking the deck needed more ways to push damage through but Burn Bright is likely going to be worse than another spell a lot of the time.

e:beaten

ELD premier draft 7/24-7/31
DOM premier draft 7/31-8/14

wei fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

So, Amonkhet remastered is a historic-only rerelease?

Shame about the workshops, I liked having a free reward once a week.

The events were largely garbage though and I'm assuming they've seen most people just playing until they get a win then stopping...