Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Victor Surge posted:

Also Famished Paladin with Presence of Gond on it with a Soul Warden which is infinite 1/1s and life. It’s super good I swear :madmax:

I just tried this deck and now I'm super enraged. I won completely fair and square against some scumbag control player by getting "infinite life" but he did a Wrath and the game engine wouldn't let me repeat the action past around around 100. I should have been able to gain enough life that he would have decked himself. I just loving hate losing a game that would have been a win in paper magic.

It even said "repeating this action will end in a draw" but it wouldn't let me force a draw, it just eventually ran a rope on me instead.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Oceanbound posted:

7-1 in my first DOM draft, finally a good format is back

In a similar vein...

You folks think I should go full 100% wizardry, or does the power of a card like Sphinx override the wizard status of say a Scholar? Or just cut a mountain and go? What about Syncopate?

E:

One possible no-scholar final iteration.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 31, 2020

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Here's a really cool Golgari deck for Historic and an article from the brewmaster themself. The general idea is "What's the coolest thing you can do with 4 mana on T2?"

https://themythicstore.com/blogs/deck-guides/golgari-umori-for-the-historic-arena-open

Thanks for this, it's my speed and really fun. Demolishes temur rec.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Zero VGS posted:

I just tried this deck and now I'm super enraged. I won completely fair and square against some scumbag control player by getting "infinite life" but he did a Wrath and the game engine wouldn't let me repeat the action past around around 100. I should have been able to gain enough life that he would have decked himself. I just loving hate losing a game that would have been a win in paper magic.

It even said "repeating this action will end in a draw" but it wouldn't let me force a draw, it just eventually ran a rope on me instead.

Yeah infinite life can’t be a win con (decking of course can be) I think they should just program life to switch to an infinity sign or something and just have the game proceed as normal, but you don’t die to normal damage. You could still lose to Vraska or decking or whatever though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Zero VGS posted:

Maybe I'm being a dope but why weren't you shooting the opponent in the face with your infinite damage?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Maybe I'm being a dope but why weren't you shooting the opponent in the face with your infinite damage?

He made infinite 1/1s instead of doing damage, and those got wrathed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ooooh right I see that makes more sense.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are all drafts on ladder, now? I think it's just sealed that doesn't give you any credit for "touching" ladder.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Bust Rodd posted:

Here's a really cool Golgari deck for Historic and an article from the brewmaster themself. The general idea is "What's the coolest thing you can do with 4 mana on T2?"

https://themythicstore.com/blogs/deck-guides/golgari-umori-for-the-historic-arena-open

Companion
1 Umori, the Collector

Deck
4 Overgrown Tomb
3 Swamp
4 Woodland Cemetery
6 Forest
4 Gilded Goose
4 Llanowar Elves
3 Phyrexian Tower
4 Spawn of Mayhem
4 Rotting Regisaur
4 Questing Beast
3 Bone Picker
4 Nightmare Shepherd
4 Ancient Ziggurat
4 Garruk's Harbinger
4 Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma
1 Ghalta, Primal Hunger

Sideboard
1 Umori, the Collector
3 Plaguecrafter
2 Massacre Wurm
2 Gemrazer
3 Grafdigger's Cage
4 Kitesail Freebooter

Ooh, Histori Golgori Umori sounds like a lot of fun. It's another one of those situations that makes me wish they'd either give you wild cards instead of packs at the end of the season, or let you choose which packs you get. I don't need anything else from M21 right now, but there's some stuff from M19 or lands from Dominaria that I'd sure love to try and get.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Huxley posted:

Are all drafts on ladder, now? I think it's just sealed that doesn't give you any credit for "touching" ladder.

Bo3 player drafts still aren't as far as I know, but all the Bo1 ones are.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Does your $20 entry fee tomorrow buy you any lands this time around?

Also I tried the Golgari Umori deck in deep Bronze just now and went 2-2: won the mirror and mono white Lurrus, lost to Rakdos Lurrus Sac and mono blue. Still had enough fun that I'll probably pick it for the event tomorrow.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Oh, I found it. It's card styles. Bleh.

ENTRY REWARD

In addition to the prizes outlined above, every participant will receive card styles for five new-to-Historic cards through Jumpstart. Just as before, these special rewards will unlock as soon as you join the event, so you'll be able to use them during your matches:

Isamaru, Hound of Konda card style
Kira, Great Glass-Spinner card style
Languish card style
Grim Lavamancer card style
Thragtusk card style

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Yeah, I don’t find those card styles as enticing as the Godzilla lands so I’ll be skipping this one. Bo1 day is going to be people ramming goblins into each other over and over.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I hope it's all goblins, because Temur rec has a pretty easy time with those. I'm back and forth right now on if I want to enter or not. It's easy enough to modify rec deck to be Bo1, but if that Mono W Auras deck that's been popular is as prevalent, rec would be a bad choice.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I barely play constructed and those styles are nothing but I can't resist the allure of "0.1% chance to win 2 grand" when real Magic tournaments are otherwise dead right now.

DRAFT OPEN NEXT WIZARDS

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Oh another psuedo-infinite combo in Standard... Jumpstart reprinted Curiosity. Slap that on Niv-Mizzet and you can ping and draw as many times as you have cards. Curiosity is non-combat damage and draw is optional. Kind of a "win more" combo if you stuck a niv regardless.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've been having so much fun with Prowess in Modern that I tried to make it in Historic...couldn't quite get there. I'll bust a nut if they ever give us Swiftspear.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

fadam posted:

I've been having so much fun with Prowess in Modern that I tried to make it in Historic...couldn't quite get there. I'll bust a nut if they ever give us Swiftspear.

Soul Scar mage is coming soon.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bugsy posted:

Soul Scar mage is coming soon.

That's definitely a nice get.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I just want to grief everyone in Standard with bogles. gently caress your interaction I'm playing solo.

The Xbox MTG game had some cheap hexproof in the default green deck, I used to savage people with that.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How important is Manamorphose to that deck? Having watched it a few times on Twitch, I feel like the answer is "very."

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Huxley posted:

How important is Manamorphose to that deck? Having watched it a few times on Twitch, I feel like the answer is "very."

It's super important imo. It's also one of the few cards without a slightly shittier analogue in Historic.

Here's what I've been running so far while laddering:

Deck
4 Arclight Phoenix (GRN) 91
4 Lightning Strike (XLN) 149
1 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
4 Cathartic Reunion (IKO) 110
3 Chart a Course (XLN) 48
2 Discovery // Dispersal (GRN) 223
4 Goblin Electromancer (GRN) 174
5 Island (M21) 310
5 Mountain (SLD) 66
3 Opt (M21) 59
4 Shock (M21) 159
4 Sprite Dragon (IKO) 211
4 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247
4 Thrill of Possibility (M21) 165
4 Stormwing Entity (M21) 73

Sideboard
3 Dive Down (XLN) 53
4 Flame Sweep (M20) 139
3 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
3 Aether Gust (M20) 42
2 Cerulean Drake (M20) 53

Basically. there's not enough cards for a good Phoenix deck, there's not enough cards for a good Prowess deck, lets slap what we can together and see what we can do.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 31, 2020

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Kanfy posted:

In a similar vein...

You folks think I should go full 100% wizardry, or does the power of a card like Sphinx override the wizard status of say a Scholar? Or just cut a mountain and go? What about Syncopate?

E:

One possible no-scholar final iteration.

You should essentially always be playing Sphinx and Academy Drake, unless you are a true Wizard deck with something stupid like double Adeliz and Neru Meha or whatever that mythic lord is named. Academy Drake is one of several reasons blue is the best color.

This is also a format where even in Bo1 I would default to 17 lands, decks are extremely mana hungry and you never want to miss your land drops until very late. I'd probably cut a lava runner and an arcanist for the drake and a land. I was only happy playing that many arcanist in my tempo decks if I had a big endgame like fight with fire. Naban is also very bad in this format so it's possibly correct to just cut him, the dream never actually happens he just blocks a 2/2 or gets destroyed by fungal infection.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 31, 2020

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I just want to grief everyone in Standard with bogles. gently caress your interaction I'm playing solo.

The Xbox MTG game had some cheap hexproof in the default green deck, I used to savage people with that.

Lots of people are running a mutate deck that's essentially bogles. Use Paradise Druid as the base, which means you're hexproof until you either make 100 things with Auspicious Starrix, or can win in a single attack.

It's not super great (especially not great against sweepers, but at least there's not a ton of edicts) but gets you the same sort of feel as Bogles.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Zero VGS posted:

There is goddamnit, I'm the only person on the planet who plays it too.

Turn 1: Try to mulligan into Famished Paladin, or if you're feeling lucky you can try to cycle into it. If you have a spare Flourishing Fox play that to bait out removal.

Turn 2: Famished Paladin, or if the opponent has removal, hold up a turn to keep mana for Gods Willing

Turn 3: Do nothing, end of opponent's turn cycle Splendor Mare to give lifelink counter

Turn 4: Mutate Porcuparrot onto Famished Paladin for 3 mana, deal infinite damage to opponent

I don't know if it's as consistent as Goblins but I've absolutely outraced goblins, I've outraced everything, I've mulliganed to loving two and still won on turn 4.

edit: requires no rares or mythic; you can substitute Squire's Devotion for Shadowspear and use whatever land you think you can get away with as you only need a single R for the Parrot.

just popping in to say ping ping ping ping is a fun way to win when it goes off. I'm 4-1 right now! thanks for the deck idea

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Have to say that I've really been enjoying Jumpstart. The skill testing part has been figuring out the gameplan of each deck and evaluating starting hands for mulligans. Along with properly interacting with the opponent's gameplan ie are these permanents must kills/counters?

Also, is MTG just more fun with 40 cards?

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I just remembered that they originally wanted to make Historic cards cost 2 wildcards to craft

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Funkdreamer posted:

I just remembered that they originally wanted to make Historic cards cost 2 wildcards to craft

Would have murdered historic

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anybody tried Theros quick draft yet? I was thinking about going for set completion and I was able to cheese m21 and eldraine QDs easily enough. all I remember is that black was the best color and UR sucked balls

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Funkdreamer posted:

Its actually amazing the things they thought they might be able to get away with. Just the sheer amount of contempt for players.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ha, just played a game versus field of the dead where the guy kept a 7 lander, and I played T2 waste not, T3 heartless pillage into lilliana into burglar rat

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Holy cow Goblins Devilish rocks fools in jumpstart. Monocolor, overlapping synergies, good creatures and no dead cards. Also muxus. And two treason effects to cover its sole weakness to beef. Stealing a baneslayer angel and sac'ing it to pump my guy is the most crushing play I've had for a while

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm not sure monocolour is that good an idea in Jumpstart, you end up with two tap lands that give you no benefit.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm not sure monocolour is that good an idea in Jumpstart, you end up with two tap lands that give you no benefit.

Another way of looking at it though is that you also end up with 16 lands that can play both sides of your deck as opposed to 2, and 14 of them even come into play untapped

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

BizarroAzrael posted:

I discovered that the hard way

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

BizarroAzrael posted:

That makes no sense. The effect of those lands being tapped is exactly the same whether your deck is mono or dual coloured, all they're doing in a dual coloured deck is bringing your mana base slightly (very slightly) closer to parity with mono coloured decks. Mono colour decks are far more consistent in Jumpstart.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I can see it being useful specifically in a deck that has treachery effects given that you can pick a colour your opponent has and have a chance of activating abilities on stolen creatures.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Talking about “balance” in Jumpstart seems like a fool’s errand, it’s the most transparently imbalanced format ever conceived except for perhaps Archenemy.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Oceanbound posted:

7-1 in my first DOM draft, finally a good format is back

I mean Eldraine was back least week fellow goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am watching that players tour.
And it sounds like they described the finals as a best of 3 of best of threes. Which sounds like a best of 9, but the players have to reset their decks to pre-sideboarded every thirdish game.

Is this true wotc :psyduck: or have I misunderstood something?
And they didn't force the brackets by decktype, which makes things more boring automatically.