Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ex post facho posted:

can someone explain why felidar guardian ate a standard ban

https://scryfall.com/card/kld/186/saheeli-rai

Two card combo with Saheeli Rai. Felidar comes in, blinks Saheeli, Saheeli blinks in, makes a haste Token of Felidar, which blinks Saheeli, and repeats for infinity. You have infinite hasted Felidar Guardians from two cards.

This is why blink effects specify they come back in at the end of the turn now i.e. Charming Prince and Yorion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012

ex post facho posted:

can someone explain why felidar guardian ate a standard ban

Infinite combo with saheeli

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

AngryBooch posted:

https://scryfall.com/card/kld/186/saheeli-rai

Two card combo with Saheeli Rai. Felidar comes in, blinks Saheeli, Saheeli blinks in, makes a haste Token of Felidar, which blinks Saheeli, and repeats for infinity. You have infinite hasted Felidar Guardians from two cards.

This is why blink effects specify they come back in at the end of the turn now i.e. Charming Prince and Yorion.

No they have blink effects that are instant speed still and had blink effects that were end of turn returning previously, see new thassa god from theros and flickerwisp. poo poo I play death and taxes in modern and it has flickerwisp which returns end of turn, resto angel which is instant, and charming prince which is end of turn, listed in order of oldest to newest across a wide span of time. There are a lot of flicker effects in Magic’s history

They just hosed up

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

uggy posted:

No they have blink effects that are instant speed still and had blink effects that were end of turn returning previously, see new thassa god from theros and flickerwisp. poo poo I play death and taxes in modern and it has flickerwisp which returns end of turn, resto angel which is instant, and charming prince which is end of turn, listed in order of oldest to newest across a wide span of time. There are a lot of flicker effects in Magic’s history

They just hosed up

True, although I think Restoration Angel is creature only? Expanding to all permanents makes a card have exponentially more combo potential. Like, if Yorion targeted only creatures it may have been one of the "fair" companions!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
yeah that makes sense, just a fairly obvious oversight in retrospect. the banlist really does... growth spiral since 2016, its wild.

what the gently caress were they thinking with emrakul, smugglers copter and aetherworks marvel

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
tbh I think “seasons” are coming to magic, especially with the adding of a future standard queue here shortly. I don’t think folks are gonna leave the game over bans and it feels like changing metas up and keeping them fresh is their goal and the goal of all ‘ftp’ games so ya I think the paradigm is shifting and we’re gonna see more poo poo like this

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

El Spamo posted:

I hear ya, I remember back in the day me and my friends would plonk down our entire collections in a 5-6 inch high stack for our libraries and play that. Every color was in there, we did goofy stuff like re-draw to 7 if you emptied your hand (god, I thought that was a real rule for SO long), and either kept track of how many times we 'died' of losing 20 life or did something like start with 100 life. I don't really remember, I was a kid.

But, as a coach said, winning is fun so try to win and the best way to do that is with a deck that can get past the variance of random drawing and the way to do that is to minimize the pool of possibilities you're drawing from.

I will note that the brawl game type kind of captures that kitchen table magic. Because you can only have one of each card in the deck, you have that taste of the highly random anything-can-happen fun of every draw being a different card. It's all well and good to pack four direct damage cards into a deck (mmm, or 40 lightning bolts... oh 1998), but drawing another shock is less than shocking.

MTGA is really low cost for doing goofy stuff so build that 75 card honker and have a blast. Try a 60 card version of the same thing and feel how they're different. Learn by doing and have fun while you do it, it costs nothing to click the 'play' button. edit: This is how I started playing again after way too long, early college probably.

I just wish I had access to some of those old cards from back in the day. Not even the broken-rear end degenerate rare ones, but the dumb-weird stuff like a thallid deck, or the bizarre art and function of artifacts like Time Vault or Ashnod's Table. Living Wall, where did you go? Why did that never get re-made?

I'm getting some strong nostalgia feels these days too. I haven't really played regularly since probably around 1998 or so, and before that it was just casual lunchtime at college games with a circle of four or five people I knew at the time. And yeah we'd just play what we had. Eventually we found out about "type 2" and started doing things like "no more than 4 of a given nonland card in your deck" that made things a bit less rambunctious. But I still did stupid poo poo like "deck with every card I have that makes tokens" and "deck with every card that is an elf, or has a picture of an elf, maybe, if you squint" or "just goblins." Sometimes there were surprising successes but mostly they were just bad decks lol.

I'm very much enjoying the low cost (haven't spent a dime so far) easy construction instant matchmaking nature of Arena and I guess I'm gonna spend a fair bit of time making silly decks, but I'm also going to try and take it a little seriously and understand what makes a good deck, too.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

ex post facho posted:

yeah that makes sense, just a fairly obvious oversight in retrospect. the banlist really does... growth spiral since 2016, its wild.

what the gently caress were they thinking with emrakul, smugglers copter and aetherworks marvel
I believe their justification for Emrakul was that whenever someone cast it in testing they just conceded so they didnt realize how miserable it was to play against

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

AngryBooch posted:

True, although I think Restoration Angel is creature only? Expanding to all permanents makes a card have exponentially more combo potential. Like, if Yorion targeted only creatures it may have been one of the "fair" companions!

Growth Spiral is just Explore at instant speed and is one of the most broken spells in magic. I dont think Explore is despite doing literally the same thing. The problem was Magic r&d fell head first in "what harm can such a small change do" and applied it to everything.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Leperflesh posted:

I'm getting some strong nostalgia feels these days too. I haven't really played regularly since probably around 1998 or so, and before that it was just casual lunchtime at college games with a circle of four or five people I knew at the time. And yeah we'd just play what we had. Eventually we found out about "type 2" and started doing things like "no more than 4 of a given nonland card in your deck" that made things a bit less rambunctious. But I still did stupid poo poo like "deck with every card I have that makes tokens" and "deck with every card that is an elf, or has a picture of an elf, maybe, if you squint" or "just goblins." Sometimes there were surprising successes but mostly they were just bad decks lol.

I'm very much enjoying the low cost (haven't spent a dime so far) easy construction instant matchmaking nature of Arena and I guess I'm gonna spend a fair bit of time making silly decks, but I'm also going to try and take it a little seriously and understand what makes a good deck, too.

Have you used all of the codes from this link to get a bunch of free packs? Should be able to get 3 from each set that isn't rotating out still, according to the link the others expired in July.

In terms of spending money, the starter packs are generally worth it - I think there's a $5 one, and I know there's another $15 one that's a good deal in terms of $:gem ratio. If you do that, your best bet is to decide up front if you want to play Constructed or Limited and put your gems towards that - the Mastery Pass is generally a good deal (though the value has slowly been going down since its introduction) for Constructed, just gems and gold towards limited work well. People here have opinions on how best to play limited, I don't know poo poo about it, so listen to them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Building a "good deck" is really fun, if you're happy with just "good" and don't need it to be "the best ever that's going to win top-level tournaments".

For example, consider the two ways to take the starter UW deck I posted above - they're "build a deck around maximizing one particular creature" and "play creatures with a theme + cards that buff that theme". Very much the kitchen-table sort of deck, but if you keep focused (and just build a new deck if you think of some cool stuff that doesn't quite fit your original focus) then they can be reasonably competitive too.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

uggy posted:

tbh I think “seasons” are coming to magic, especially with the adding of a future standard queue here shortly. I don’t think folks are gonna leave the game over bans and it feels like changing metas up and keeping them fresh is their goal and the goal of all ‘ftp’ games so ya I think the paradigm is shifting and we’re gonna see more poo poo like this

they did the future standard queue last year also, the rest of this post is incomprehensible

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I’ve got a singleton tokens deck that only wins about 1 out of 15, but it’s my favorite to play because it requires a different strategy every time depending on what i draw and what I’m up against.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

they did the future standard queue last year also, the rest of this post is incomprehensible

Words... in a sentence... what could they possibly mean

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

house of the dad posted:

Words... in a sentence... what could they possibly mean

I have no idea, could you explain it to me?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Ah I was thinking that second point, like if I have 4x of some fetch card and then I take several one-offs in the deck each of which is situationally good depending on what my opponent brought.

Also way way back in the day we used to do stuff like howling mine and other I think it's called milling effects where you could run through your whole deck and lose if a game lasted a while.

e, I guess part of what's going on is: I've used all the promo codes which was quite a few packs, and played through the five one-color-deck challenges and earned the red and green deck and then played a little more and got the blue and white deck. So I have a fair amount of cards, but most of the ones I've gotten I only have one or two of rather than four. I have hesitated to use any of my colored tokens to turn into cards because I assume anything I decided to buy right now would turn out to be a dumb decision later.

So I'm adding like one or two cool cards I got to a deck to see how they go, I'm hesitant to subtract from the 4x of something essential, and it's tempting to just add a land or two and run with a 65 or 70 card deck.

An easy way to get your deck from 75 cards is to play in the Traditional queue, where you play a "best of 3" match against the same opponent, but you can have a 15 card sideboard to swap cards in and out of your main deck between games. Take the most situational cards and put them there, and then if you're facing a deck they'd be good against, swap them in and take out cards that are less useful.

For example lawmage's binding doesn't really do anything against decks that play no creatures. Same with Dovin. Maybe instead of them, you want to play some counterspells like Mystical Dispute to protect your creatures against their counterspells or removal. Or because there's a lot of decks that use red and green, Aether Gust can wreck someone in some games, and be completely useless in others.

Dovin's Acuity is another card that is fine on the surface, but there are some games where you want to be jamming creatures and hitting their face as much as possible, and won't really have a chance to play 3 mana to draw a card, and don't play a lot of instants to bring it back. You would want that against slower decks that drag the game out longer.

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012
How much of an impact do people think the Amonket Remastered set will have on Historic. It is a bunch of cards, but I keep on hearing that the 2019-2020 sets outclass most sets that have come before. I never played with Amonket, so I don't really know what power levels and archetypes to expect.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Amonket has Soul Scar Mage which will generate an entire archetype on its own (whether it will be good in this meta is another story)

Also Hazoret

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
all standard bans should apply to brawl

its nice to have to not have to insta concede to teferi commander any more

Relin fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 5, 2020

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Eej posted:

Amonket has Soul Scar Mage which will generate an entire archetype on its own (whether it will be good in this meta is another story)

Also Hazoret

also Glorybringer, The Scarab God, Approach of the Second Sun, God-Pharaoh's Gift, Nicol Bolas, God Pharaoh, Hollow One, Bontu's Last Reckoning, Gideon of the Trials, Hour of Promise, and Rhonas.

Not to mention fun stuff that people will want to play like Torment of Hailfire, Regal Caracal, The Locust God, Crested Sunmare, and Earthshaker Khenra.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I agree, Agent of Treachery is an incredibly bullshit card to play with or against. Any blue deck I make is just an Agent of Treachery deck, and the ultimate end game of every blue deck you face is just to get your thing stolen.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lid posted:

Shamelessly stolen from reddit

Not pictured: companions nerf that was effectively a ban

Who can forget Standard 2020 mainstays Emrakul, Aetherworks Marvel and Oath of Nissa.

There are a bunch of other non-Standard cards there too but they're too small for me to determine.

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 5, 2020

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

those types of comparisons are fun and obviously there's been a serious power creep issue, but anyone who actually played standard in from 2006-2016 could tell you that there were plenty of bad standards and plenty of cards that could have eaten a ban and didn't. under their current ban philosophy, there's absolutely no chance Siege Rhino makes it through 2014 unscathed, for instance. sphinx's rev, pack rat, spellstutter sprite, bloodbraid elf all could have eaten bans in their respective standards under wizards's modern criteria. now i am not saying those cards all deserved to be banned, or that any of them were "design mistakes" (maybe rhino), but it's pretty clear that wizards applies a different heuristic now when determining what to ban.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That reminds me, is there any common that was banned before GS?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

All the artifact lands, Disciple of the Vault

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

VictualSquid posted:

in standard? lotus petal, the six artifact lands, disciple of the vault. plenty in other formats

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you are an Arclight Phoenix person, I've been having some fun/luck with it in Historic Bo1 the past couple of days. I literally just ripped this list off a goldfish rando, but Lightning Axe and Young Pyromancer are good tools from Jumpstart. Not calling this list right, but it wins games. Seems like the time is now to get in games. Might be better with blue for Chart and Opt. Probably doesn't want both Sprite Dragon and Pyromancer.

Deck
1 Maximize Velocity (GRN) 111
4 Shock (M21) 159
4 Warlord's Fury (DAR) 151
3 Lightning Axe (JMP) 341
4 Crash Through (M21) 140
2 Pillar of Flame (JMP) 355
4 Thrill of Possibility (M21) 165
3 Cathartic Reunion (IKO) 110
2 Finale of Promise (WAR) 127
4 Young Pyromancer (JMP) 372
4 Runaway Steam-Kin (GRN) 115
4 Arclight Phoenix (GRN) 91
1 Mountain (MIR) 346
4 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
1 Ox of Agonas (THB) 147
15 Mountain (AKH) 264

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

those types of comparisons are fun and obviously there's been a serious power creep issue, but anyone who actually played standard in from 2006-2016 could tell you that there were plenty of bad standards and plenty of cards that could have eaten a ban and didn't. under their current ban philosophy, there's absolutely no chance Siege Rhino makes it through 2014 unscathed, for instance. sphinx's rev, pack rat, spellstutter sprite, bloodbraid elf all could have eaten bans in their respective standards under wizards's modern criteria. now i am not saying those cards all deserved to be banned, or that any of them were "design mistakes" (maybe rhino), but it's pretty clear that wizards applies a different heuristic now when determining what to ban.

Whoa I read the term "Spellstutter" and had a visceral reaction, reliving the pain of being Mistbind Clique locked out of the game on T4 or 5

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

axeil posted:

Who can forget Standard 2020 mainstays Emrakul, Aetherworks Marvel and Oath of Nissa.

There are a bunch of other non-Standard cards there too but they're too small for me to determine.

2017-2020?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lid posted:

Growth Spiral is just Explore at instant speed and is one of the most broken spells in magic. I dont think Explore is despite doing literally the same thing. The problem was Magic r&d fell head first in "what harm can such a small change do" and applied it to everything.

If Uro and Nissa and Ugin weren't around (and probably just Ugin since it did in fact survive with the other two), Growth Spiral would have survived to rotation. I think part of the problem is they're just not looking at what cards other cards enable.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

axeil posted:

Reflector Mage must be acknowledged.

(And read the title)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Reflector Mage was a mainstay in my gimmick ETB Mirror Mockery deck, alongside Faerie Miscreant.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
For being the enchantment set theros doesn't have any horrible enchantments that need a ban in standard.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Why the hell is Young Pyromancer a Shaman instead of a Wizard??????

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fadam posted:

Why the hell is Young Pyromancer a Shaman instead of a Wizard??????

Shamans summon elementals, duh, i mean are you even paying attention

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

axeil posted:

You are aware that those cards were in standard once, yes? Like, you know, when they were banned.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Shamans summon elementals, duh, i mean are you even paying attention

Is that true? I didn’t know that it was tied to a specific tribe.

If you had asked me like twenty minutes ago what creature type YP was, I would have bet anything he was a wizard. I’ve probably resolved this card like a thousand times in my life lol.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

uPen posted:

2017-2020?

:downs:

Whoops. Thought it was just this year.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Lone Goat posted:

What about it needs to be explained?

And okay sure they did it last year, crazy that nothing else has changed like an out of the blue ban 8 weeks from rotation or a pandemic that means more folks jam more games more quickly. 3 months is a long loving timing for a static meta so ya, I think they’re going to change it to have bans more often and more curated standard metas/seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Have you used all of the codes from this link to get a bunch of free packs? Should be able to get 3 from each set that isn't rotating out still, according to the link the others expired in July.
Yup!

quote:

In terms of spending money, the starter packs are generally worth it - I think there's a $5 one, and I know there's another $15 one that's a good deal in terms of $:gem ratio. If you do that, your best bet is to decide up front if you want to play Constructed or Limited and put your gems towards that - the Mastery Pass is generally a good deal (though the value has slowly been going down since its introduction) for Constructed, just gems and gold towards limited work well. People here have opinions on how best to play limited, I don't know poo poo about it, so listen to them.

OK. I have to decide if this game is going to "stick" which means probably playing a month or two, before I put any money into it, but that's good to keep in mind.

A Moose posted:

An easy way to get your deck from 75 cards

Thanks, this is actually really good. I never played a format with a sideboard before and didn't even notice that thing in the game till now.