Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Squinky v2.0 posted:

CalebD seems like a nice guy who streams good Magic card games

He once said Griffith from Berserk was from Vampire Hunter D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Those sound like animes which are bad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Collectible Card Game nerds are the only nerds on Earth who are below anime nerds in terms of loserdom, except for perhaps War Minis nerds. Glass houses, etc.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Gacha game players and other forms of people self defined by lootboxes are definitely lower. Though Arena does everything it can to make Magic one of those.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Booster Pack was the original gaming loot box

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It was. That's why the most common advise in magic circles is to not buy boosters only singles.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Are the servers really bad right now? After every match its the waiting for server spinny wheel for 30 seconds at least.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bugsy posted:

Are the servers really bad right now? After every match its the waiting for server spinny wheel for 30 seconds at least.

Sure are.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Anyone know what's replacing THB on the quick draft queue?

E: two crashes in 15 minutes, and multiple ropes starting before my turn has started in client because the animation has been hung completely from my opponent's last play.

Good times this morning, good times.

I don't think I dare try actual draft matches today.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 7, 2020

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Never played pauper before, and don't have a great collection in game. Are there any good pauper lists made mostly from the cards we get as newbies?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Bust Rodd posted:

Collectible Card Game nerds are the only nerds on Earth who are below anime nerds in terms of loserdom, except for perhaps War Minis nerds. Glass houses, etc.

:wrong:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Truly there is no greater sign of winning at life than spending time on the internet trying to shame people for enjoying [thing] to the tune of nobody giving a flying gently caress.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 7, 2020

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

thespaceinvader posted:

Anyone know what's replacing THB on the quick draft queue?

E: two crashes in 15 minutes, and multiple ropes starting before my turn has started in client because the animation has been hung completely from my opponent's last play.

Good times this morning, good times.

I don't think I dare try actual draft matches today.

Pretty sure its M21? I might throw down for my first M21 draft, though is it really just GW aggro 24/7?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

Pretty sure its M21? I might throw down for my first M21 draft, though is it really just GW aggro 24/7?

No sometimes it's RW aggro. UR spells is also good.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Looks like a big rumor/leak that Thoughtseize and Collected Company are coming to Historic as Amonkhet Invocations:

quote:

Non-AKH/HOU Cards

Demonic Pact
Hornet Queen
Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
Chandra, Pyromaster
Sphinx’s Revelation
Wrath of God
Thoughtseize
Pact of Negation
Shatterstorm
Rest in Peace
Anger of the Gods
Collected Company
Perilous Vault
Lord of Extinction

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
holy guacamole

I don't know if Historic is ready for thoughtseize but I really don't want to find out

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

did historic REALLY need Rest in Peace? now we basically have all the graveyard hate in modern, but with none of the powerful stuff being held in check by it. At least give us something fun that its supposed to hose.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Deck
3 Castle Garenbrig (ELD) 240
4 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
20 Forest (M21) 313
4 Barkhide Troll (M20) 165
3 Ram Through (IKO) 170
3 Scavenging Ooze (M21) 204
3 Garruk's Harbinger (M21) 185
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
3 Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig (ELD) 185
2 Gemrazer (IKO) 155
3 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
2 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
4 Stonecoil Serpent (ELD) 235
2 The Great Henge (ELD) 161

Sideboard
2 Gemrazer (IKO) 155
2 Heroic Intervention (M21) 188
1 Nightpack Ambusher (M20) 185
4 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
2 Destiny Spinner (THB) 168
1 Scavenging Ooze (M21) 204
1 Ram Through (IKO) 170
2 Vivien, Arkbow Ranger (M20) 199

I played this for a while yesterday and it seems like its almost there as the version of stompy to go with for this meta. you have a lot of good matchups but are definitely an underdog to temur adventures when your opponent plays it well. Luckily most people haven't been making good plays with it yet.

general thoughts:
-the nissas are for decks like sultai that are trying to bury you in card advantage and cast extinction event multiple times. make a 1-1 swap with the viviens in matchups where you are trying to fight for the board
-when boarding try not to screw with the curve too much. it might be tempting to take out all the oozes against something with no graveyard synergy but then you are very light on 2 drops. try to always have 8 possible 1st turn plays as well as 2nd turn plays
- do not hesitate to put stonecoil on 1 or 2 to fill in a hole in your curve. if you are looking at your hand and you can either cast it on 2 or maybe on turn 5 or 6 because you have other plays, cast it on 2.
- great henge maybe is not correct. it outright wins games when it lands but it is often a dead card. I need a larger sample size to figure it out
- heroic intervention might be bad as well

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

A Moose posted:

did historic REALLY need Rest in Peace? now we basically have all the graveyard hate in modern, but with none of the powerful stuff being held in check by it. At least give us something fun that its supposed to hose.

It’s bizarre that they think Sheoldred and Entomb are too powerful for Historic but then they’d give us RIP and Thoughtseize

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sheoldred is just out because they don't want to implement Swampwalk.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
IMO, putting Thoughtseize in now lets them go ahead and start trickling out the actual fun stuff (like coco) without the format becoming an entirely non-interactive drag race. Proactive interaction is healthy, and it's a good boost to what feels like the most underplayed color in the format right now.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/i599zp/amonkhet_remastered_full_card_list/

I'm fit to bust

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Shatterstorm coming back? :getin:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

cntrl+f for daze

whew

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Huxley posted:

IMO, putting Thoughtseize in now lets them go ahead and start trickling out the actual fun stuff (like coco) without the format becoming an entirely non-interactive drag race. Proactive interaction is healthy, and it's a good boost to what feels like the most underplayed color in the format right now.

So maybe we're going to get Stinkweed Imp and Hogaak now that we have every single gy hate card to poo poo on it?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
4 Dread Wanderer
4 Gutterbones
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion
4 Murderous Rider
4 Rankle
3 Spawn of Mayhem
3 Phyrexian Obliterator

4 Thoughtseize
4 spot removal (Cast Down, Heartless Act, Disfigure)

4 Castles
2 Towers
18 swamps

With two flex spots for ... Demonic Embrace? Regisaur? Gifted Aetherborn?

A Moose posted:

So maybe we're going to get Stinkweed Imp and Hogaak now that we have every single gy hate card to poo poo on it?

Hey, I've spent the last week in the thread talking about nothing but Arclight Phoenix decks.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 7, 2020

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

not looking forward to seeing sphinx's rev again.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Huxley posted:

4 Dread Wanderer
4 Gutterbones
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion
4 Murderous Rider
4 Rankle
3 Spawn of Mayhem
3 Phyrexian Obliterator

4 Thoughtseize
4 spot removal (Cast Down, Heartless Act, Disfigure)

4 Castles
2 Towers
18 swamps

With two flex spots for ... Demonic Embrace? Regisaur? Gifted Aetherborn?

Hey, I've spent the last week in the thread talking about nothing but Arclight Phoenix decks.

I mainly play Kethis combo in historic, but there's already Tormod's Crypt, Soul-Guide Lantern, Grafdigger's Cage, Scavenging Ooze, Ashiok and Leyline of the Void. How much hate does a tier 2 deck really need? How about they just ban Phoenix and kethis and put actual fun, proactive cards, or cards that hate on strong things?

It's just super boring to see that they're adding new powerful cards, and they're redundant narrow hate cards that the format doesn't need. Its like them excitedly revealing historic is getting Flusterstorm...

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Rip is a good card to have in the format. It introduces counter play to Uro for aggressive decks but it’s also a card that’s really easy to deal with. It’s just a fair card

Also who was the goon that thought obsessive stitcher was going to take over the format because lol

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If I could not make boneheaded gameplay mistakes for the course of just a single draft, that's be great.

I am really off form today :(

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Possibly not the best field deck; possibly not playable at all once Thoughtseize exists. But this poo poo is fun and I made platinum with it pretty easily.

4 FotD out of view, OFC, and 1-2 Field of Ruin, passages.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thespaceinvader posted:

If I could not make boneheaded gameplay mistakes for the course of just a single draft, that's be great.

I am really off form today :(

this, but for every draft I've ever done

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Btw does anyone know of good written resources for metagame summaries of past draft formats? I'd like to start dipping my toes into the flashback human drafts they've been putting into Arena, like dominaria and eventually amonkhet, but most of the content creators I follow do podcasts or streams. I'd really just like a textual reference so I can get up to speed quickly and jump into some of the historic draft formats not completely blind

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lone Goat posted:

i once had a match against jamietopples and she took for fuckin ever on each play, i went to watch the vod after the game ended and it turns out she was just reading every line of twitch chat and responding to it while roping

Should link me the vod so I can watch.

Good streamers:
LSV on cube/vintage/legacy.

LordTupperware but you have to put up with dry, sassy commentary.

MisterMetronome.

Reid Duke on anything, the man is magical.

Ryan Spain on how to not lose too much money on MTGA and lots of just chatting.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 7, 2020

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Azuth0667 posted:

For being the enchantment set theros doesn't have any horrible enchantments that need a ban in standard.
The real surprise for being an enchantment set is that there weren't any horrible artifacts which needed a ban in standard.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Anger of the Gods?

Finally, some good loving food

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Gridlocked posted:

Should link me the vod so I can watch.

It was during Theros and there's not much to watch, she had a good UR tempo deck that just stomped me

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

With the exception of Thoughtseize which I acknowledge is probably good for the game even if I hate discard effects more than anything, there isn’t anything on that list I’m not happy to see tbh. Gonna have some fun with CoCo :)

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I wish they would reprint Thoughtseize in standard. I can't get enough of people just conceding to a T1 Thoughtseize because they kept a bad hand. The downside is having to play against people that take 3 minutes to decide to take your two drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Marketing New Brain posted:

I wish they would reprint Thoughtseize in standard. I can't get enough of people just conceding to a T1 Thoughtseize because they kept a bad hand. The downside is having to play against people that take 3 minutes to decide to take your two drop.

It's always a fun game to see if they can identify what's most important in your hand.