Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mox Hombre posted:

what do you all think are the best color pairs in ZNR limited? so far from my experience, UG kicker is the best if you manage to get the good cards, followed by UR wizards. but that's probably just what i've managed to win with so far

Gruul, Golgari, Selesnya, Simic. Basically anything with green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I had a sick WG draft that got blown the gently caress out by Inscription of Insight two games in a row. I know it may not be practical for Arena but man I wish I could play within pod.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/reidduke/status/1309139183466938382?s=21

Really got me thinking about how there really aren’t good blocks in Standard anymore. Every board state is a sea of 1/2s and 2/1s or a wall of big meaty 4/4s and 6/6s. Combat just kind of happens past people now.

Also specifically in the case of Uro, chumping him with a fork feels so bad, it’s like a 3/1 every attack now...

The 1/3 flash rogue lord is a notably good blocker.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/reidduke/status/1309139183466938382?s=21

Really got me thinking about how there really aren’t good blocks in Standard anymore. Every board state is a sea of 1/2s and 2/1s or a wall of big meaty 4/4s and 6/6s. Combat just kind of happens past people now.

Also specifically in the case of Uro, chumping him with a fork feels so bad, it’s like a 3/1 every attack now...

embercleave attack phases can be fun when you aren't just dead on board

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Kanfy posted:

At least going by 17lands' data it's a pretty balanced format, basically draft what seems open.

It's worth noting that the sample sizes are a relevant figure. For example azorius is both the least-drafted and worst performing, meaning people are fighting each other for w/b and g/u and still having more success than they would from drafting an open w/u deck.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

MasterBuilder posted:

Man for being in the top 1200 of all players some of they guys I play against make really questionable choices.

Guaranteed your opponents feel the same way.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

A Moose posted:

They already have access to Korvold as a finisher/engine and he doesn't require you to sacrifice clerics only, and doesn't die to shock. He also always flies. I suppose you can jam taborax on turn 3 but why? Though I suppose with goose/elf and phyrexian tower, you can also get turn 3 Korvold

Yeah I don't think Taborax is replacing anything essential there, it's just an option if they want to capitalize on a specific line of synergy.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I made a real dumb mono-u mill deck that's amazing when it goes off and still fun when it loses (it loses a lot).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wacky Delly posted:

I made a real dumb mono-u mill deck that's amazing when it goes off and still fun when it loses (it loses a lot).

are you using that dumb landfall crab

because I ran into one yesterday that got two of them out and managed to keep me from killing either of them and it was a pain in the rear end

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Share Bear posted:

embercleave attack phases can be fun when you aren't just dead on board
https://twitter.com/ReidDuke/status/1309139626687373312

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i passed up two different rares in my recent primier draft, very unhappily, for the precise kicker uncommons i needed

i then went 0-2 and was exceedingly outraged that i had not raredrafted my heart out

now that i have won three in a row on the backs of those exact uncommons i am feeling less stupid, the green-blue kicker deck is the loving truth when you've got a few of the enablers and nobody seems to be drafting it, i've gotten it three times in a row now

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I really like embercleave

I've only done it a couple times, but flashing it out while blocking is a fantastic feeling

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I have had exactly one game in which blocking swung it for me(because I had Bad Harrow ready to bushwhack my opponent) but it only got to that point because my deck completely poo poo its pants the first couple of turns and I was way behind

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

evilweasel posted:

i passed up two different rares in my recent primier draft, very unhappily, for the precise kicker uncommons i needed

i then went 0-2 and was exceedingly outraged that i had not raredrafted my heart out

now that i have won three in a row on the backs of those exact uncommons i am feeling less stupid, the green-blue kicker deck is the loving truth when you've got a few of the enablers and nobody seems to be drafting it, i've gotten it three times in a row now

I didn't raredraft Zendikar for a while, now I do and my drafts seem to go better. And if I see a signpost uncommon at pick 8 it's almost always worthwhile to pivot into that deck, ZNR is extremely synergy-based.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chamale posted:

I didn't raredraft Zendikar for a while, now I do and my drafts seem to go better. And if I see a signpost uncommon at pick 8 it's almost always worthwhile to pivot into that deck, ZNR is extremely synergy-based.

yeah, I've gotten absolutely wrecked by a deck that played like four synergistic rares in five turns once, but mostly my losses (aside from getting hosed on draws) come from the synergystic decks that just have every piece a part of the theme, the clerics deck in particular routinely wrecks my poo poo

but once you get the key enablers it's also not hard to draft; for clerics you...draft every B/W cleric you see, for kicker you...draft the best G/B kicker card in the pack (and sometimes speculate on a third color if you really want/need to)

it's just about recognizing which one's open and getting 3-5 of the key uncommons/rares (boy is curving a Verazol on turn 3 into a Roost of Drakes on turn 4 followed by...well, anything with kicker)

many of the rares specifically play into a theme so raredrafting is easier and (when you get a few ones for your theme) insanely powerful

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

My experience has been the opposite. I draft to a theme, fight for every bit of damage, and then get lit up by a huge bomb (kicked inscription, Scute Swarm tokens getting huge, etc.) I can count on one hand my losses so far from just solid synergistic decks that executed better.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nehru the Damaja posted:

My experience has been the opposite. I draft to a theme, fight for every bit of damage, and then get lit up by a huge bomb (kicked inscription, Scute Swarm tokens getting huge, etc.) I can count on one hand my losses so far from just solid synergistic decks that executed better.

all the bombs i've wrecked people with or gotten wrecked by really lit up precisely because they were synergistic - like the inscriptions are just plain horrific in a kicker deck, when you start recovering them with roilmages or sproutlings and recasting them, while getting drakes for every cast

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
The signpost BW cleric is bomby. I haven’t managed to draft that deck with one yet, I really want to. Whenever I play that card if I don’t address it immediately that’s basically game.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I feel like Makindi Ox is the most underrated common right now, at least in white. It's bigger than 80% of the creatures in this format, and it's landfall trigger makes it so your opponent doesn't want to attack you in a race situation and can't plan any blocks ahead of time. It's fantastic in aggro/tempo, and it's a big body if you need it on defense. It's rare that there's a game where I draw it where it doesn't put in a ton of work.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

by the way: anytime you see a vine gecko, kill it immediately. it doesn't seem like it, but it's shockingly good for the kicker deck.

I've gone t2 gecko, t3 kicked reclaim the wastes several times, and that means i no longer risk having insufficient land to kick the poo poo out of things. if it hangs around till t4 i am certainly landing a gnarlid colony, so now i have two 4/4 tramplers on turn four and things are only going downhill from you for there.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fish Of Doom posted:

I feel like Makindi Ox is the most underrated common right now, at least in white. It's bigger than 80% of the creatures in this format, and it's landfall trigger makes it so your opponent doesn't want to attack you in a race situation and can't plan any blocks ahead of time. It's fantastic in aggro/tempo, and it's a big body if you need it on defense. It's rare that there's a game where I draw it where it doesn't put in a ton of work.

I'd name Grotag Bug-Catcher the most underrated common. I keep picking them up late and they're incredible attackers.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

C'mon, guy

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Second time hitting mythic, and second month in a row, this time with Gruul CoCo. Whoever posted the other day about historic being soft right now--yeah, It's soft as gently caress.

33-15 with this deck. Thanks to Bust Rodd and...the other goon (sorry, forgot your name) who helped with tweaks to it.

Deck
4 Collected Company (AKR) 186
4 Forest (DAR) 269
3 Embercleave (ELD) 120
5 Mountain (M20) 274
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
4 Zhur-Taa Goblin (RNA) 215
4 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
4 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Resilient Khenra (AKR) 212
2 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
3 Domri's Ambush (WAR) 192
2 Scavenging Ooze (M21) 204
4 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
1 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
2 Hashep Oasis (AKR) 301
2 Garruk's Harbinger (M21) 185
4 Cragcrown Pathway (ZNR) 261

Sideboard
3 Rampaging Ferocidon (XLN) 154
3 Anax, Hardened in the Forge (THB) 125
2 Scavenging Ooze (M21) 204
2 Thrashing Brontodon (RIX) 148
1 Garruk's Harbinger (M21) 185
1 Collision // Colossus (RNA) 223
1 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
2 Redcap Melee (ELD) 135

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The Fool posted:

are you using that dumb landfall crab

because I ran into one yesterday that got two of them out and managed to keep me from killing either of them and it was a pain in the rear end

Yes, that's part of why it's so dumb. It's only gone like 2-5 in the play queue, but it's so funny.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Every time I see this, it's usually a streamer. I think the most I've seen is 7 packs stacked up on one guy.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I miss being able to call people "logjam" in person. drat you Covid

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I never get on people for that. We all started new and had to read everything and weight it all.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Share Bear posted:

never rope antagonistically

never good game unless you're on the losing side and you genuinely appreciated the game

qtiyd
if you rope antagonistically I will spam "good game" until you finish roping out

especially if you respond with the thinking emote, we all know you aren't thinking about anything about how your omnath is gonna die to priest and then so are you

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

Every time I see this, it's usually a streamer. I think the most I've seen is 7 packs stacked up on one guy.

Whoever that streamer is, he hates blue because that poo poo was wide the gently caress open. 7-1 with UR wizards was fun as hell.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

lol brawl is ranked now?

lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it isn't

kater
Nov 16, 2010

oh okay my client is just going crazy and replaying the rank up animation after every game for no reason.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

kater posted:

oh okay my client is just going crazy and replaying the rank up animation after every game for no reason.

Its been doing that in any unranked queue since zendikar dropped.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, since it's just a cosmetic issue the fix will wait until the B+R patch probably

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Amusingly I did the FNM event and after both games it said I'd dropped to 0% Mythic lol

Also if you feel like blowing WCs on a playset of real bad Goblin Guides you'd never use otherwise, monored one-drop tribal is looking like a really effective way to cheese the historic ladder in bo1 lol

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 25, 2020

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

artisan is pretty good for racking up fast daily quest wins. just be aware that there's a 50/50 shot that you'll be playing against crab/tutelage mill and prepare accordingly.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Every single match I've played so far has been the r/g landfall mirror.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I got my garbage crab wins and I guess now I have to harass every game store in town on Twitter until one gives me a code?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I got a couple of wins off Trample Tribal which is my usual go-to but it took a while.

I built a deck with a good curve which basically needs to curve out to win, and promptly had half a dozen matches where I drew 0 of my 14 2-drop creatures by turn 2 after mulligans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Mono-b auras mirror in artisan.... Both players have hands full of removal and wait for a topdeck creature. And we know it bc we both already played kitesails and got them killed.