Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Death’s Shadow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
Well that was pretty mediocre. Deaths Shadow, but zero enablers? The best card, by far, is thraben inspector lol

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Some of the artifact stuff seems pretty nice for Kinnan decks? Think Twice will probably see some use. Beyond that IDK, pretty random grab bag of cards.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

There's also Statuary, which might be a thing with Paradoxical Outcome.

Also, Bonesplitter seems big. Imagining turn 1 fervent champion, turn 2 play and equip bonesplitter

Declaration in Stone seems extremely playable

everything else is commander stuff, but that has to mean that Historic Brawl is coming soon, right?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Why are half the cards crap they forgot to put in Amonkhet Remastered

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Boco_T posted:

That was my first thought lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Once again, Commander screwing us over

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Boco_T posted:

Prolly cause they didn't want them showing up in draft?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I was super pumped for HA4, had planned on buying it. Other than DS and Thraben inspector (which is only a common) that's a giant wet fart. Wildcards it is, I guess.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Kurieg posted:

Then make the Anthology bigger and put cards that don't suck in it and give the Amonkhet leftovers away for free

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kurieg posted:

None of those cards would gently caress up draft.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Blinkmoth nexus could see play, the role will just be different than the one it played in ravager decks

Lone Goat posted:

None of those cards would gently caress up draft.

I know, right? Why weren’t they just in the remastered and why are they taking up half the anthology

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Might have to read these cardlists 'cause that's right up my alley.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Do you think Harmless Offering is a better combo with Nine Lives than Solemnity? Or maybe use both? Demonic Pact is pretty good too, especially if you have a backup plan, like flickering it or sacing it

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

A Moose posted:

Do you think Harmless Offering is a better combo with Nine Lives than Solemnity? Or maybe use both? Demonic Pact is pretty good too, especially if you have a backup plan, like flickering it or sacing it

Harmless Offering I think makes a Demonic Pact deck at least feasible to build. I might play around with it as I enjoy weird decks like that.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

TipTow posted:

I was super pumped for HA4, had planned on buying it. Other than DS and Thraben inspector (which is only a common) that's a giant wet fart. Wildcards it is, I guess.

same. I can understand them not wanting to put in more legacy power stuff like phyrexian tower (gently caress that card), but I was hoping for maybe Bring to Light or some Eldrazi dudes??

510rems
Mar 26, 2010
the marit lage enchantment and blinkmoth are really good picks too. like yeah, every card isn't going to be a format staple but this anthology is way better than the shrine one.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

510rems posted:

the marit lage enchantment and blinkmoth are really good picks too. like yeah, every card isn't going to be a format staple but this anthology is way better than the shrine one.

The shrine one had a lot of really good cards in it, actually. You should go back and look at it

https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/mtg/channelmagic-articles/historic-anthology-3-revealed/

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Why do I get matched against people way above my rank in the traditional queue over the BO1 queue?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There seem to be enough "big red" and "big black" colorless decks bouncing around now that don't need much colored mana that will probably want 4 Blinkmoth.

Stuff like this deck:

Companion
1 Jegantha, the Wellspring

Deck
1 Arch of Orazca
4 Aether Hub
1 Inventors' Fair
1 Cascading Cataracts
3 Forsaken Monument
4 Mind Stone
2 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
4 Radiant Fountain
2 Swamp
4 Spire of Industry
2 Ugin, the Ineffable
3 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
1 Scavenger Grounds
1 Blast Zone
2 Karn, Scion of Urza
4 Extinction Event
1 Crawling Barrens
3 Karn, the Great Creator
1 Buried Ruin
4 Guardian Idol
2 Golos, Tireless Pilgrim
3 Hedron Archive
4 Ifnir Deadlands
2 Mazemind Tome
1 Mystic Forge

Sideboard
2 Weathered Runestone
2 Thought Distortion
2 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Meteor Golem
1 Mystic Forge
2 Flame Sweep
1 Forsaken Monument
1 Platinum Angel
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Jegantha, the Wellspring

With an absolutely bonkers manabase. Running Aether Hub and Spire of Industry to cast Extinction Event and trigger Ifnir Deadlands out of the maindeck. Plus Jegantha and 4 more cards out of the board. There's probably a better version of this idea that has 4 Blinkmoth Nexus.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hey mom its 420 posted:

same. I can understand them not wanting to put in more legacy power stuff like phyrexian tower (gently caress that card), but I was hoping for maybe Bring to Light or some Eldrazi dudes??

begone, niv to light cretin!!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah, on second thought Nexus and the Marit Lage enchantment seem like they're probably workable. Also, what kind of enablers are there even in Historic right now for Death's Shadow? I'm super pumped to see it since it's the closest I'll probably ever get to reliving Type I suicide black circa Urza Block, but now I'm trying to work out how to abuse it and got nothing. Though I have a terrible deckbuilding imagination.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Why do I get matched against people way above my rank in the traditional queue over the BO1 queue?

As a corollary to this, as a new player just using one of the predesigned decks, I'm running up against a lot of decks that are, to out it mildly, much better than mine. Which of the play options should I be choosing to do the daily quests?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

The Klowner posted:

begone, niv to light cretin!!

drat, guilty as charged

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Death's Shadow might make a splash here. We don't have Temur Battle Rage, but Embercleave does the same thing. If we get enough other creatures it could work.

Good cards that make us lose life:
-shocklands
-boltlands
-Thoughtsieze
-Castle Locthwain
-Feed The Swarm

ehhhh:
-Glint Sleeve Siphoner?
-Phyrexian Arena
-Agonizing Remorse
-Dreadhorde Invasion
-Dusk Legion Zealot

lol:
-Chainer's Torment
-command the dreadhorde

Maybe throw in Footfall Crater or that escape aura that gives haste?

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 5, 2021

510rems
Mar 26, 2010

Time posted:

The shrine one had a lot of really good cards in it, actually. You should go back and look at it

https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/mtg/channelmagic-articles/historic-anthology-3-revealed/

yeah, there's some better stuff in there than I remembered. the shrine part was just specifically disappointing to me because it was five slots dedicated to one single archetype. I don't mind that they would devote 5 slots to more fun or janky cards, but I would have preferred 5 cards of that type that stood on their own.

I think this new anthology hits a good mix of useful and fun.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back
deaths shadows biggest problem is the lack of temur battle rage in historic to stop it getting chumped forever

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

PUT ON THIN ICE IN HISTORIC YOU IDIOTS

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

witchy posted:

deaths shadows biggest problem is the lack of temur battle rage in historic to stop it getting chumped forever

Three or four months until Pioneer Masters, the set we should all probably already be saving gold for.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

wait, time spiral remastered is not coming to arena??? what in the everliving gently caress, i was really looking foward to that

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got all mad about the spells CoCo being a sorcery and hitting sorceries, but realized an instant hitting instants made it a more swingy, occasionally extremely better, Cryptic Command.

So OK, yeah I get it.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Moose posted:

Death's Shadow might make a splash here. We don't have Temur Battle Rage, but Embercleave does the same thing. If we get enough other creatures it could work.

Good cards that make us lose life:
-shocklands
-boltlands
-Thoughtsieze
-Castle Locthwain
-Feed The Swarm

ehhhh:
-Glint Sleeve Siphoner?
-Phyrexian Arena
-Agonizing Remorse
-Dreadhorde Invasion
-Dusk Legion Zealot

lol:
-Chainer's Torment
-command the dreadhorde

quote:

4x death's shadow
4x knight of the ebon legion
2x foul mire knight
4x scourge of the skyclaves
4x kroxa
4x dusk legion zealot
4x dreadhorde invasion
4x thoughtseize
4x feed the swarm
2x bloodchief's thirst
2x call of the death-dweller
4x castle locthwain
4x agadeem's awakening
4x blood crypt
4x dragonskull summit
4x swamp
2x shatterskull smashing

lurrus companion

done

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 5, 2021

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
There are some pretty good enablers for Death's Shadow in historic because I've seen a decent suicide B list that uses Knight of the Ebon Legion and Scourge of the Skyclave to swing for stupid amounts of turn three damage. You can go Orzhov and add in Adanto Vanguard if you have to. The issue with Death's Shadow is that cat-oven is one of the most common decks in the format.

I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with some of the other stuff in HA4, but this one looks a bit mediocre. Nexus is nice, but we already have two man lands.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Azathoth posted:

As a corollary to this, as a new player just using one of the predesigned decks, I'm running up against a lot of decks that are, to out it mildly, much better than mine. Which of the play options should I be choosing to do the daily quests?
You get a 50 game "wading pool" where you're protected from being matched with anyone outside the pool. After that you're dumped into the general population. You should probably be using regular Standard Play mode (not ranked). That will try to match your beginner decks with other beginner decks. It may be that not a lot of people are playing the beginner decks though, and that they're rushing to put together their competitive decks ASAP. Hopefully it works for you! If you're being put up against absurd decks, you can try playing against a friend who's also using the beginner decks. I'm pretty sure that still counts towards your dailies.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It’s not just TBR, missing Fetches is also really rough. Cleave is also a really bad version of TBR in a Shadow deck I think.

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 5, 2021

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I belive death's shadow will spend most of its time in the format getting chumped by 1/1 cats

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Missing 2x Embercleave to go over cats
Claim//Fame seems good too, since it hits all your creatures

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 5, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Barge In does a TBR impression.

Again, for four months until we get it, presumably, in Pioneer Legends Remastered whatever.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

babypolis posted:

wait, time spiral remastered is not coming to arena??? what in the everliving gently caress, i was really looking foward to that

They thought Bolt was too strong for Historic why do you think we'd get Time Spiral Remastered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Funkdreamer posted:

You get a 50 game "wading pool" where you're protected from being matched with anyone outside the pool. After that you're dumped into the general population. You should probably be using regular Standard Play mode (not ranked). That will try to match your beginner decks with other beginner decks. It may be that not a lot of people are playing the beginner decks though, and that they're rushing to put together their competitive decks ASAP. Hopefully it works for you! If you're being put up against absurd decks, you can try playing against a friend who's also using the beginner decks. I'm pretty sure that still counts towards your dailies.

That makes sense, thanks! I've been doing that one, so good to know I wasn't messing up at least. I knocked out the 15 wins the first two days and sometime yesterday I started to get matched against much better decks.

With the prebuilt red/green I can still win consistently enough that it isn't frustrating, but my margin of error on a bad draw is pretty slim. If I can drop on curve from turns 2 to 4, I am always at least in the match and the deck does a decent enough job of that. I think I'm still gonna stick with the plan of getting all the prebuilt decks before looking at building anything else.

However, I'm starting to think about that a bit and I would like an opinion on the best way to use my gems. I've got 6k right now, and I see that I can buy the Mastery Pass, but I'm having a hard time judging whether that's worth it. I'm at rank 10 right now, and I don't care at all about cosmetics, which it looks like is most of what you get?

Am I better off just buying packs (no desire to draft at all) or is that Mastery Pass something that I should be looking at too?