Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

This is exactly the opposite of my experience. Gary is my main Wincon and I am slamming people all over the place from unwinnable situations. Priest, Ayara, and Woe Strider mean that untapping with Citadel means I'm guaranteed to win, and all of my engines work with Nightmare Shepherd. I'm not interested in a fast game at all, everything scales really well into the late game. I don't think this is a good Cat+Oven deck, but I'm also just sick of cat and prefer this, and I'm beating cat all day.

This is basically my experience as well. Deck just tends to hang out and prevent your opponent from really getting in for damage early, and has a lot of answers to most of the annoying things in the meta right now. I swapped in Eat for Extinction in place of Dragged to the Underworld and it seems solid. Priest seems solid, I might cut Erebos and use that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I figured out how to win at draft. Cheap Fliers + Hydra's Growth.

Flydras.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Hammer Bro. posted:

I figured out how to win at draft. Cheap Fliers + Hydra's Growth.

Flydras.

*Drops sorcerous spyglass on the table*

My Yawg...

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Funkdreamer posted:

I saw Saffron Olive playing against a UW control deck that endlessly grabbed planeswalkers out of the graveyard with Elspeth Conquers Death

It was more enchantment focused and seemed a lot sturdier than the other UW builds right now, anyone know of a list for it?

Been playing this, forgive the pile of x1 in the sideboard as I'm experimenting with cards like Cavalier of Dawn (removal / brings back your big Saga on death), Gideon (cheap beater / meme dream of your minion surviving Shatter) and Whirlwind Denial (for a fifth copy of "gently caress Krasis"). At any rate, it feels rare to need to swap more than 3-4 cards at a time when sideboarding for any given match up.

Deck
4 Absorb (RNA) 151
4 Banishing Light (THB) 4
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
2 Dream Trawler (THB) 214
3 Elspeth Conquers Death (THB) 13
2 Archon of Sun's Grace (THB) 3
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
5 Island (ELD) 257
4 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61
4 Omen of the Sea (THB) 58
5 Plains (ELD) 253
4 Shatter the Sky (THB) 37
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
4 Temple of Enlightenment (THB) 246
4 The Birth of Meletis (THB) 5
2 Tranquil Cove (M20) 259
2 Field of Ruin (THB) 242

Sideboard
1 Aether Gust (M20) 42
2 Devout Decree (M20) 13
2 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
1 Heliod's Intervention (THB) 19
1 Kiora Bests the Sea God (THB) 52
2 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
2 Hushbringer (ELD) 18
1 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
1 Elspeth Conquers Death (THB) 13
1 Whirlwind Denial (THB) 81
1 Cavalier of Dawn (M20) 10

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Went 5-0 with a mediocre bant pile with good auras. I guess people don't always pick the removal.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Holy poo poo I won’t give up.

This gently caress face has been abusing the hell out of the timer trying to bore me to death.

30 minute in to him beating the timer by a second or two. They really should shorten it each time it happens.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Vannifar combo is hilarious

It's helpful that the meta basically gave up on running removal

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Funkdreamer posted:

I knew there was a reason I started winning games again in the poop-tier leagues with my bad Golgari deck. It's full of assassin's trophies, deathsprouts, plague crafters, harpooners and cavaliers of night. It's no Jund Sacrifice but I like the cards and the guild symbol is ants so :colbert:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Man I wish WotC would do something about ropers.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The mulligan timer should be a quarter of its current length and the timer for Bo3 should be 20 minutes at most. If a player ever gets down to 10 minutes on the current clock, even if it's at the very end of game three, a horrible injustice has occurred. Right now the clock might as well not exist at all.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Darox posted:

The mulligan timer should be a quarter of its current length and the timer for Bo3 should be 20 minutes at most. If a player ever gets down to 10 minutes on the current clock, even if it's at the very end of game three, a horrible injustice has occurred. Right now the clock might as well not exist at all.

Huh? 25 minutes is standard time for timed magic best of three games. I've seen games drag close to time between two grindy/control-y decks. The rope being too long and resetting weirdly is way more of an issue to me than 25 minute timers on bo3.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
The MTGA bo3 clock is 30 minutes instead of 25 for some inane reason

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Paper magic doesn't use chess clocks, 50 minutes + extra turns for an entire round doesn't really equate to "exactly 25 minutes per player and if you go over by a second you forfeit the entire match".

The only way the whole match goes beyond 50 minutes in Arena is if you are also taking a significant amount of time.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

srulz posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/standard-league-2020-01-20

First deck dump is out.

Personally I'm burnt out of UW already. Playing against mirror is miserable, and unlike UG flash you don't really have the counters density to totally stop your opp from having a board, so you are almost always playing from behind. Plus the deck just loses heavily to UG ramp, and 1 or 2 Whirlwind Denials out of the board didn't really stop all 4x of your opp's Krasis. Plus the escaping Uros.

So of course I'm trying UG ramp now. Just crafted 2x Uros to try. Seems neat, though the deck as a whole feels like an Eldraine deck + Uros, so you don't really get to play with new cards that much.

I have Ashioks Erasure in the side board just for UG! No more Hydroids no more Nissas... EVER!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Funkdreamer posted:

The ramp decks tend to play no interaction so they're pretty vulnerable to board based combos ("playing Gary" is also a combo).

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
lmao at all the people thinking heliod is viable in brawl. there is no where near enough removal in white

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I am a no-brain-man and can’t work out how to access Theros Traditional Draft from the menu. It’s been live for days, right?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

vegetables posted:

I am a no-brain-man and can’t work out how to access Theros Traditional Draft from the menu. It’s been live for days, right?
Are advanced modes enabled?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Click the toggle at the top right of the screen to show you all play modes.
Then click the "play" button so the right-hand slidey thing appears.
Then find it in the list.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Are advanced modes enabled?

Ahhhhhh

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Don't worry, that part of the UI is actively real bad.

Theros Trad Draft itself is a clear 10/10 right up until this gravy train comes to a stop though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Relin posted:

lmao at all the people thinking heliod is viable in brawl. there is no where near enough removal in white

There are plenty of white removal enchantments right now, what? Heliod owns.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Don't worry, that part of the UI is actively real bad.

Theros Trad Draft itself is a clear 10/10 right up until this gravy train comes to a stop though.

Teach me.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Sometimes you have a nice, comfy color combo established and then pack 3 happens

Now to figure out how to build this

E: Probably just toss green tbh got some decent white cards to sub

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 22, 2020

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kjermzs posted:

Teach me.

Pray for good cards and bad opponents

Those three runs are all the experience I have, but mostly my takeaway has been that you really want to have a theme and winning condition for your deck. Fliers, auras, sacrifice, escape, whatever, but you want to minimize cards that don't play into that plan and relying on just a bunch of ground dudes to get through probably won't do the job. That 3/3 green vanilla common that untaps a creature would've been a solid include in most formats, in this one it's a last resort.

The graveyard's like half the game, ways to get rid of enemy creatures without sending them there (exile, pacifism) is often preferable and incidental self-milling (Mire Triton, Venomous Hierophant) is very powerful in decks that like Escaping. Overall if an effect causes cards to go to the opponent's graveyard, consider it a potentially major drawback.

Enchantment removal is pretty much just removal in a lot of cases, Return to Nature isn't just playable but something you like to pick. A lot of Sagas, Enchantment Creatures and Auras can just ruin your day.

White and especially White/Blue decks have a lot of ways to dodge removal at instant speed for cheap, so watch for that and don't get too greedy waiting for opportunities if you can get something when they're tapped out.

The above goes both ways, there is a lot of instant speed removal and other trickery so don't overcommit too fast if your shields go down as a result and the opponent looks like they might have something.

Auras are good for once, don't understimate even the cheap ones like Sentinel's Eyes and Setessan Training as they can do a lot of work. Commanding Presence has been a real ace for me so far.

Don't cram too many Escape cards into one deck since they all compete with each other. Prioritize the real good ones like Pharika's Spawn and work backwards to weaker ones from there, the "Exile x cards" part of Escape is almost always more restrictive than the mana cost.

Oh, and you should play 2 colors almost always from my experience. Most top-tier power cards in the format that aren't Ashiok or Polukranos are double symbol ones that are hard to splash, crippling your mana base for one card isn't worth it unless I guess that card is Kiora Bests the Sea God or you're playing heavy green with a lot of "free" fixing.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 22, 2020

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

One more thing which is true for all sets but so key for long-term success that it's worth mentioning: Learn the commonly played instant speed effects. If you can predict when and which instant/flash your opponent is going to play, you'll avoid an enormous amount of bad plays and improve your odds considerably.

Don't play around every little thing, but like if a blue opponent leaves three mana open on an empty board on turn three in Theros, don't run a 1/2 or smaller in for that sweet 1 damage without a backup plan because while it could be a counterspell or Omen of the Sea, odds are much higher that it's a 2/2 Vexing Gull that'll eat it and leave you in a very unfavorable situation.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 22, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

F2P Master, baby:

how do you f2p without drafting? is there another way to get gems? or do you just.. not?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Truga posted:

how do you f2p without drafting? is there another way to get gems? or do you just.. not?

Instead of paying 5k gold for a draft you pay for packs

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just Newbie Things: I'm playing the Boros precon against this guy who plays Simic Ascendancy, so he'll win at the start of turn if he can play twenty +1/+1s. I'm smacking him a little while he ramps and then he plays a hydra with eight +1s. I can't deal with that so next turn he plays a galloping lozrog that makes sixteen +1s. He "good games" me :smug:

I shrug and attack with my dudes, knowing he just blocks em and I lose...until he uses the lozrog to block my Truefire Captain, which (maybe incorrect name aside) deals damage to a player equal to the damage it takes. The responsive "good game" while I aimed nineteen damage to his face was pure honey.

Anyway...is there a weekly prize handout in this like Hearthstone's brawls? Or anything nice at the end of the daily and weekly win payouts?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
drat, Priest of Forgotten Gods in MonoB is legit, I'm convinced. Just got to drop an early Citadel with Priest and quickly combo off. This deck is so fun

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Instead of paying 5k gold for a draft you pay for packs

Yeah, I'd like to do that to get wildcards faster, but OTOH I get a few just from leveling up mastery. It takes longer, but I can use draft gem winnings to unlock the 2nd mastery thing.

Kashuno posted:

drat, Priest of Forgotten Gods in MonoB is legit, I'm convinced. Just got to drop an early Citadel with Priest and quickly combo off. This deck is so fun

Priest has helped me cast liliana on a ton of occasions in my eld monob decks it owns

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Truga posted:

I only pay for the Mastery Pass and I draft fewer than five times a set. Just get your 4 wins a day and buy packs, it’s extremely generous for a F2P game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

SuperKlaus posted:

Just Newbie Things: I'm playing the Boros precon against this guy who plays Simic Ascendancy, so he'll win at the start of turn if he can play twenty +1/+1s. I'm smacking him a little while he ramps and then he plays a hydra with eight +1s. I can't deal with that so next turn he plays a galloping lozrog that makes sixteen +1s. He "good games" me :smug:

I shrug and attack with my dudes, knowing he just blocks em and I lose...until he uses the lozrog to block my Truefire Captain, which (maybe incorrect name aside) deals damage to a player equal to the damage it takes. The responsive "good game" while I aimed nineteen damage to his face was pure honey.

Anyway...is there a weekly prize handout in this like Hearthstone's brawls? Or anything nice at the end of the daily and weekly win payouts?

There are the daily quests for gold/xp, the daily wins for gold/cards/xp, and the weekly wins for xp, and the end-of-season bonuses for rank on the constructed/limited ladders. That's it except in event-based play.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 22, 2020

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i've been f2p since they introduced the mastery pass, so far i've only had to draft right when the new one comes out since the pass itself comes with ~2200 gems, or something like that. just make sure you've saved up a bunch of gold at the end of the season and do your best in ranked drafts.

before eldraine i immediately went 7-0 and could afford it, for theros i had to do 2 drafts to be able to afford the mastery pass. it probably helps that i never draft otherwise so i'm always in bronze.

now i'm back to dumping 100% of my gold into packs cause wildcard progress is the most important thing.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Bust Rodd posted:

I only pay for the Mastery Pass and I draft fewer than five times a set. Just get your 4 wins a day and buy packs, it’s extremely generous for a F2P game.

Paying for the mastery pass is paying money.

There's other ways to convert gold to gems that don't affect your limited rank, like omniscience drafts, but why would you do that to the exclusion of ranked drafts?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Paying money for mastery pass amounts to paying ~$3/month. I'm not going to add another grind on top of my 4 wins + quest/day to save $3 a month.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Is there a way to pick the order of the stack when resolving simultaneous things? I keep having Ayara plus at least one other creature wiped with a Shepherd in play, and obviously I'd like to make Ayara's token first because... well, why wouldn't I... but it doesn't offer me a choice even with full control. Is there a way?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

Is there a way to pick the order of the stack when resolving simultaneous things? I keep having Ayara plus at least one other creature wiped with a Shepherd in play, and obviously I'd like to make Ayara's token first because... well, why wouldn't I... but it doesn't offer me a choice even with full control. Is there a way?

its in your settings under gameplay

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

drainpipe posted:

Paying money for mastery pass amounts to paying ~$3/month. I'm not going to add another grind on top of my 4 wins + quest/day to save $3 a month.

We're not talking about what is the best course of action to derive the most enjoyment out of the game, we're talking about how you would get those stats as a free to play player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Nah the stats make sense, I could get to mythic easier if I just opened packs instead of drafting because I'd get more wildcards. I just wouldn't have the mastery pass thingies then. I think now that I'm already starting at a bunch of gems instead of just whatever new accounts get, it'll be much easier tho. Also not starting the season a month late.