Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mat Cauthon posted:

You can't just say this and not post a list.

https://twitter.com/ZKiihne/status/1263658959715602434?s=2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Bust Rodd posted:

Don't be afraid to mulligan into a more aggresive opening. Going to 5 is ok is you can shred their hand, because then it's easier to protect lurrus and get your engine's going.

Got my wins, thanks!

It feels good to watch someone realize what the combo does and then walk away from the table. Except for one sociopath who made me play it out.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
That Gruul Obosh Deck and the Naya Winota Deck are the greed police of Historic at the moment. Naya Winota (just won Hoogland's historic tourney, probably needs Redcap Melee in the board for mirrors. Actually, Redcap Melee should be in every red deck's board for Winota in Historic at the moment.):

https://mtgmelee.com/Decklist/View/20062

Companion
1 Umori, the Collector

Deck
4 Llanowar Elves
2 Phoenix of Ash
1 Mountain
4 Adanto Vanguard
4 Winota, Joiner of Forces
4 Haktos the Unscarred
4 Angrath's Marauders
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Clifftop Retreat
4 Stomping Ground
3 Rootbound Crag
4 Temple Garden
4 Ancient Ziggurat
4 Legion Warboss
4 Fauna Shaman
1 Forest
1 Agent of Treachery
4 Bonecrusher Giant

Sideboard
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 Hushbringer
2 Baffling End
2 Goblin Ruinblaster
3 Fire Prophecy
1 Settle the Wreckage
1 Umori, the Collector
1 Agent of Treachery
1 Knight of Autumn

Remember to bring out Umori from companion slot when you board in Baffling Ends/Redcap Melee/Settle the Wreckage. Settle the Wreckage is good mirror tech I think.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Whats the best way to deal with Cat Oven using Mono Black Lurrus?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

SalTheBard posted:

Tymaret. You can tutor with Fiend Artisan.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Right! I feel dumb now!

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

Somberbrero posted:

What did you cut to fit those in?

I've being running one more Tyramet over Priest, which is probably a mistake but it feels great to dumpster other lurrus decks.

I didn’t have the wilds to craft the Lurkers. All said and done, I think I’d prefer to have them than the scorpions, but in a pinch they synergize alright:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I'm thinking of getting into Historic based on all the hype in here and I want to try a new format. What do the Historic bundles get you? 4 copies of specific cards? And they're like $25ish each?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Unless you are completely starved for wildcards I would simply look up whichever decks you want and burn WC on singles. You don’t wanna pay $25 for a bundle that you’ll only ever use $7 worth of cards.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

No Wave posted:

You will encounter draws that your deck cannot beat a whole lot. Your opponent still has to draw those cards but it is one of the reasons MtG's favored competitive play mode is best of 3.

Yeah, BO1 is a weird beast. In BO3, any tier one deck can put up a decent fight against *any* deck on games two and three; if it couldn't, it wouldn't be tier one. But in BO1, you will hit matchups that you simply cannot beat.

A dude posted:

It's probably worth noting at this point that whilst the starter decks aren't aggressively awful, they are still really, really not good.

Add black to the white lifegain deck and it becomes very playable.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

Unless you are completely starved for wildcards I would simply look up whichever decks you want and burn WC on singles. You don’t wanna pay $25 for a bundle that you’ll only ever use $7 worth of cards.

I don't spend much money on the game and don't draft much so I'm low on WCs

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Gynovore posted:

Yeah, BO1 is a weird beast. In BO3, any tier one deck can put up a decent fight against *any* deck on games two and three; if it couldn't, it wouldn't be tier one. But in BO1, you will hit matchups that you simply cannot beat.

Add black to the white lifegain deck and it becomes very playable.

BO1 has its own mini meta. People main deck lots of aggro hate and other side board cards based on what they see a lot of. BO3 is way better IMO

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
If you want to build decks that feature 4 Ulamog and/or 4 Phyrexian Obliterator that's like 8 Mythic Wildcards right there. Think the price to buy it outright is worth it at that point when you consider that 1 Mythic Wildcard is typically ~24 opened packs on the wheel and the Anthology is the same price as 20 packs.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Looking for advice on this. I feel like I drafted some powerful cards here but I'm not sure what the best configuration is. Pool, deck.
Current draft of the deck:

Specific questions, although I'm also just generally looking for feedback:

- I am considering cutting the blue, particularly the Pollywog symbiote, but I like the way it makes Nethroi cheaper and I like the idea of discarding cards to it and then getting them back with Nethroi, Corpse Churn, Boneyard Lurker and Unbreakable Bond.
- Is it worth adding Survivor's Bond to continue the theme of graveyard recursion? Seems like it goes well with the two Excavation Moles.
- Speaking of that, the idea of using any of those graveyard cards to recur Kogla is pretty awesome.
- Is it worth it to add Titanoth Rex because of the interaction with Unbreakable Bond?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Chadzok posted:

I mulligan for Fenlurker and Burglar Rat if I see Yorion on the board, I've had concessions from forcing them into a topdeck situation.

I usually just instant concede when I see a Yorion deck, sure I can win maybe 20% of them but it's not a good matchup and better use of your time to move on. That's how I pushed to Mythic. You'll smoke just about any deck that doesn't involve Agent of Treachery.

Somberbrero posted:

Tymaret. You can tutor with Fiend Artisan.

Remember, if they have a food out and a cat in the grave, you want to wait for them to sac the food, then you respond by eating the cat, causing it to fizzle so they lose both food and cat. If you try to eat the cat first, they can respond by sacking the food to bring the cat back. Same goes for Elspeth Conquers Death, if they have too many graveyard targets for you to eat at once, wait for them to pick a target then have Tyramet eat it in response.

When you're up against another Lurrus they play cards before you can exile them in response, so just eat all the good stuff as fast as you can.

I like how Kunoros, a dog, only scares the cats from entering the battlefield, while Tyramet, some dude, just devours them. Eat cats every day.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I only see Historic bundles 2 and 3 available. Are they that loving stupid that they removed the first bundle from the store?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Elephant Ambush posted:

I only see Historic bundles 2 and 3 available. Are they that loving stupid that they removed the first bundle from the store?

Gotta get that FOMO money.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Just being able to play Dead Weight and Mire's Grasp with Lurrus over and over is so broken, I loving love it

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

SalTheBard posted:

Blast Zone.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Grifter posted:

Looking for advice on this. I feel like I drafted some powerful cards here but I'm not sure what the best configuration is. Pool, deck.
Current draft of the deck:

Specific questions, although I'm also just generally looking for feedback:

- I am considering cutting the blue, particularly the Pollywog symbiote, but I like the way it makes Nethroi cheaper and I like the idea of discarding cards to it and then getting them back with Nethroi, Corpse Churn, Boneyard Lurker and Unbreakable Bond.
- Is it worth adding Survivor's Bond to continue the theme of graveyard recursion? Seems like it goes well with the two Excavation Moles.
- Speaking of that, the idea of using any of those graveyard cards to recur Kogla is pretty awesome.
- Is it worth it to add Titanoth Rex because of the interaction with Unbreakable Bond?

- don't splash for two drops that don't have a effect that's useful late game. you have so few blue sources, you won't reliably hit polly until past turn 4 on average, and it won't be doing much at that point.
- it's weaker than Corpse Churn but you're going to need to fill a lot of slots since you should be cutting your blue
- yes
- YES, cycler + renanimator is a nice package to have in BG decks, and the downside on Rex as just a cycler is fine.

cut the 4 blue cards, and you should be playing Ivy Elemental and Blitz Leech. Titanoth Rex as reanimation fodder. Barrier Breach is fine since there's a lot of good enchantments, and you can cycle it off if you don't need it, or just Survivors' Bond

i guess your other option is to cut most of the black instead of blue, splashing for just Nethroi, Extinction Event, and maybe Unbreakable Bond, playing 2 Of One Minds, Ivy, and one of Survivrors'/Breach, but that is far less good.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm pretty sure 2 is going away soon as well. I had thought it would be gone when 3 appeared but it looks like it is lasting just a little longer.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've been trying to make a obliterator/broodmoth deck work and while it isn't good, it is a lot of fun. There's hardly any targetted removal at the moment so obliterator us just generically strong if you can make it stick

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Apparently BooHoogland had a Historic tournament:
https://mtgmelee.com/Tournament/View/894
https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/gpiy48/200_player_historic_event_wha3_full_decklists/

Naya Winota looks like the breakout star, with that hosed up stinky Gruul Obosh list also doing well.

I tried to make Jeskai Winota work with Timely but found it was really inconsistent, but going Naya and slapping a Fauna Shaman in there seems like it would help a lot. I wonder if Umori is better than having access to Timely/Raise? I'd give this a shot but I don't wanna blow mythic WC on Marauders LOL.

fadam fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 24, 2020

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Lone Goat posted:

- don't splash for two drops that don't have a effect that's useful late game. you have so few blue sources, you won't reliably hit polly until past turn 4 on average, and it won't be doing much at that point.
- it's weaker than Corpse Churn but you're going to need to fill a lot of slots since you should be cutting your blue
- yes
- YES, cycler + renanimator is a nice package to have in BG decks, and the downside on Rex as just a cycler is fine.

cut the 4 blue cards, and you should be playing Ivy Elemental and Blitz Leech. Titanoth Rex as reanimation fodder. Barrier Breach is fine since there's a lot of good enchantments, and you can cycle it off if you don't need it, or just Survivors' Bond

i guess your other option is to cut most of the black instead of blue, splashing for just Nethroi, Extinction Event, and maybe Unbreakable Bond, playing 2 Of One Minds, Ivy, and one of Survivrors'/Breach, but that is far less good.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to take out the blue and go for it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

fadam posted:

Apparently BooHoogland had a Historic tournament:
https://mtgmelee.com/Tournament/View/894
https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/gpiy48/200_player_historic_event_wha3_full_decklists/

Naya Winota looks like the breakout star, with that hosed up stinky Gruul Obosh list also doing well.

I tried to make Jeskai Winota work with Timely but found it was really inconsistent, but going Naya and slapping a Fauna Shaman in there seems like it would help a lot. I wonder if Umori is better than having access to Timely/Raise? I'd give this a shot but I don't wanna blow mythic WC on Marauders LOL.

That Winota deck is another reason I wanted to start playing Historic.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

That Winota deck is another reason I wanted to start playing Historic.

You should! It is a ton of fun. Join the Nexus Army :madmax:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've been queuing into a lot of cycling land/ zenith flare decks, I don't really get the popularity, it seems pretty weak to disruption and must be super boring to pilot

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

I've been queuing into a lot of cycling land/ zenith flare decks, I don't really get the popularity, it seems pretty weak to disruption and must be super boring to pilot

It is very boring. It's also kind of linear and weak to some fairly common hate cards, but it's cheap, easy to play, and can go toe-to-toe with more expensive T1 decks. It's similar to the old Mono-U deck from Dominaria/M20 but you don't have to be a super genius with a huge brain and semi-prescience to play it at 1/10th of its potential.

Unless you mean a deck that only tries to win by cycling lands and casting Zenith Flares instead of using the Cycling payoffs like Fox, Rescuer, etc. in conjunction with Flare to win, in which case idk lol.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I run Boros cycling with 6 blue Shocklands for ultimate value and greed and I prefer the flexibility to play actually cast some amount of interaction.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

pointsofdata posted:

It's not really that weak to disruption unless that disruption comes with exiling and/or yard hate, though.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

It's not really that weak to disruption unless that disruption comes with exiling and/or yard hate, though.

Beyond GY stuff, a protected Narset does a good job of shutting the deck down. If you're playing one of the Yorion piles that has both Narset and Ashiok MB, you're starting the game like 90% preboarded lol.

When I was laddering in Standard with Winota Combo I found game 1 next to impossible, but after bringing in hate I felt very favoured in games 2 and 3.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oh yeah, Narset is a problem for sure.

I honestly play so little draw most of the time that I don't notice, most of my card advantage for the last few weeks has been from Starrix.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fadam posted:

It is very boring. It's also kind of linear and weak to some fairly common hate cards, but it's cheap, easy to play, and can go toe-to-toe with more expensive T1 decks. It's similar to the old Mono-U deck from Dominaria/M20 but you don't have to be a super genius with a huge brain and semi-prescience to play it at 1/10th of its potential.

Unless you mean a deck that only tries to win by cycling lands and casting Zenith Flares instead of using the Cycling payoffs like Fox, Rescuer, etc. in conjunction with Flare to win, in which case idk lol.

idk if you're making a joke but it's the latter - all the cycling lands, treasure hunt (i think it's called that, draws until a nonland card) and like 1 zenith flare.

There's also a new version of the mono-u in historic, it's uw now for staggering insight.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

idk if you're making a joke but it's the latter - all the cycling lands, treasure hunt (i think it's called that, draws until a nonland card) and like 1 zenith flare.

There's also a new version of the mono-u in historic, it's uw now for staggering insight.

That would be hilarious but I doubt it would work out better than the version where the wincon is Thassa's Oracle, just because Oracle doesn't need to interact with the opponent at all, whereas if they can gain more than 5 life before you play your Flare you're stuffed.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So I just had a sweet UR spells/Lutri deck that lost two games in a row because Vadrok is bugged. That is, if you cast Vadrok for its mutate cost in premier draft, it just doesn't trigger. You can select a spell and hit Resolve, and then it doesn't cast. Apparently this is a known issue.
Is there any way to get my draft entry cost refunded? I'm a little bummed out that such a sweet deck ended up 3-3 for such a stupid reason. The first time I assumed I misclicked, so the second time I was super careful and the same thing happened.
I know you already used the form to submit for support but I want to recommend that approach to everyone. I lost a game because the game simply stopped. I could mouse around and highlight things but my opponent did nothing and no roping occurred. I verified I was still connected to the internet and took screenshots of everything. Eventually after waiting 30 minutes I force closed the game. Once I restarted I had a game loss. I submitted the screenshots to support and got 10K gold in a few days. It had been a terrible draft that was doomed anyway so it was great to get it for free. Highly recommended.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

That would be hilarious but I doubt it would work out better than the version where the wincon is Thassa's Oracle, just because Oracle doesn't need to interact with the opponent at all, whereas if they can gain more than 5 life before you play your Flare you're stuffed.

It's this list:

https://mtgmelee.com/Decklist/View/20019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

It seems like a huge upgrade to Oracle. You only have to go through half of your deck instead of the whole thing (the deck plays 40 cycling lands), you can win at instant speed and you can get back your win condition with Sanctuary so you aren't 100% dead if your opponent draws a single counterspell.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I love that this deck can reveal Lurrus, Zirda, Kaheera or Gyruda as the companion game 1.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It seems like a huge upgrade to Oracle. You only have to go through half of your deck instead of the whole thing (the deck plays 40 cycling lands), you can win at instant speed and you can get back your win condition with Sanctuary so you aren't 100% dead if your opponent draws a single counterspell.

Ah, I didn't stop to think there are more cycling lands in Historic than in standard. My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Historic is a sick format. It feels like decks are just made with mad libs. I’m on Obosh Ponza right now. Umori Artifacts? Nexus Field? Ulamog Maze’s End? gently caress it, why not?

Here's another one for your pile, Izzet Obosh Tempo:

Companion
1 Obosh, the Preypiercer

Deck
2 Dive Down
3 Lookout's Dispersal
4 Siren Stormtamer
4 Curious Obsession
2 Wizard's Retort
4 Ghitu Lavarunner
3 Wizard's Lightning
1 Ionize
4 Spectral Sailor
4 Brazen Borrower
4 Opt
4 Bonecrusher Giant
4 Steam Vents
4 Sulfur Falls
1 Castle Vantress
8 Island
4 Mountain

Sideboard

1 Ashiok, Dream Render
2 Flame Sweep
4 Mystical Dispute
4 Redcap Melee
1 The Royal Scions
2 Blazing Volley
1 Obosh, the Preypiercer

https://old.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/gpdsgi/historic_ur_obosh_tempo/

Played a couple games with it last night and this deck freakin owns. Ever done 6 damage for R before? This deck got ya covered.