Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I have been playing a lot of sacrifice again, and priest is just extra cruel on arena.

First your life gets set to 0 from the damage, and I think the interface no longer lets you resign but you don't die just yet.
Then you have to choose a creature to sac.
Then it plays the mana gain animation.
Then it plays the carddraw animation.
And then you finally explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

thespaceinvader posted:

Ah yes, why didn't I think about running blue spells in non-blue decks.
Red Elemental Blast for Historic

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gridlocked posted:

I think the companion changes will be in the form of a rules erata with them being update to have you start with 1 less card in hand.

This makes it so that you agree always starting with a 7 card hand, one card reveled. Rather than a normal hand plus a free card.

I'd hope for maybe draw 7 put one back, rather than just draw 6 - it gives you a little extra information for free, but it somehow seems fairer.

The extra card from the companion is the big advantage, but giving you a smaller selection to find lands from seems like a really big penalty over and above the existing one of the deck building restriction.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

I think the companion changes will be in the form of a rules erata with them being update to have you start with 1 less card in hand.

This makes it so that you agree always starting with a 7 card hand, one card reveled. Rather than a normal hand plus a free card.

My guess is it will be after you choose your starting hand you may put one card at the bottom of your deck and add your companion to your hand.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I think it will remain cast from outside the game. That's a big part of the theme is it's your buddy that sits next to you and not just a spell.

Draw full hand and then put one back seems good though. Means the companions aren't as nerfd in limited.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

All my games today have a really long pause with a black screen after the game, before it returns to the home screen. Kind of annoying. Has anyone else run into this?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

is this deck better than i thought it was (i thought it was a mostly failed b/g reanimator deck where i had gone entirely overboard on the raredrafting)?

i am currently 5-0 and don't quite get why

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

evilweasel posted:

is this deck better than i thought it was (i thought it was a mostly failed b/g reanimator deck where i had gone entirely overboard on the raredrafting)?

you forgot to draft the front half of your curve and instead drafted white cards

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Just had a great three games where I won pretty decisively in games two or three against naya winota as Jeskai Take Turns.

If Winota gets banned lol.

I also learned that Haktos can never be killed by justice strike.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 28, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sedisp posted:

My guess is it will be after you choose your starting hand you may put one card at the bottom of your deck and add your companion to your hand.

No. No no no. Because the first time my companion gets Thought Erasured I am going to reach through the internet and beat my opponent within an inch of their worthless life.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

No. No no no. Because the first time my companion gets Thought Erasured I am going to reach through the internet and beat my opponent within an inch of their worthless life.

Deal.

*casts agonizing remorse*

Your go :smuggo:

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

evilweasel posted:

Just variance I guess, it doesn't look like a great deck. Sometimes you just draw the cards you need.

The reanimator package is pretty powerful but next time pick up some two-drops.

Also if you're just bronze or silver you can potentiality win with whatever.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sedisp posted:

Deal.

*casts agonizing remorse*

Your go :smuggo:

*mashes concede*

*cries*

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

evilweasel posted:

The mana is rough, but maybe BO1 smooths it out?

I say that while playing WAR quick draft and hitting my first (of 7) white mana on the 5th turn while having 3 white cards in hand :)

Other than that, your cards are pretty strong.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I don't see how the historic meta does anything but devolve into Nexus and Gruul furiously trying to pre-board vs each other while also beating the mirror, kind of like Fires and Yorion-Lukka in Standard. Like, Nexus is hard to beat because they're the only deck that can really cast Fog effects and not just delay the inevitable, gruul is a strong deck on its own, and just so happens to have the only 2 cards to get around fog effects, but nexus is still really fast so it just wins sometimes anyway.

They're both miles better than anything else so far. Teferi is kinda good against nexus, but its trivial for them to just bounce him or blast zone him and go off anyway. That Winota deck might be for real, or it might be a meme deck that spiked a tournament once. It absolutely needs to draw and cast Winota on turn 4 to be any good, but then Fires is still a deck so maybe that's not that hard. I think that its more likely that nexus will adjust to new decks pretty easily and just go on to be the best, but its no fun if every game as nexus is a mirror match.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Just learned that Arena is not going to be supported on Geforce NOW streaming after May 31. This was the only way I was able to play it on my non-Windows laptop. Guess I'm out of luck until the June update when I can try to run the new 64-bit client with Wine.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
only 4 more days til Agent is banned :stoked:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

ex post facho posted:

only 4 more days til Agent is banned :stoked:

What happens in four days?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A Moose posted:

I don't see how the historic meta does anything but devolve into Nexus and Gruul furiously trying to pre-board vs each other while also beating the mirror, kind of like Fires and Yorion-Lukka in Standard. Like, Nexus is hard to beat because they're the only deck that can really cast Fog effects and not just delay the inevitable, gruul is a strong deck on its own, and just so happens to have the only 2 cards to get around fog effects, but nexus is still really fast so it just wins sometimes anyway.

They're both miles better than anything else so far. Teferi is kinda good against nexus, but its trivial for them to just bounce him or blast zone him and go off anyway. That Winota deck might be for real, or it might be a meme deck that spiked a tournament once. It absolutely needs to draw and cast Winota on turn 4 to be any good, but then Fires is still a deck so maybe that's not that hard. I think that its more likely that nexus will adjust to new decks pretty easily and just go on to be the best, but its no fun if every game as nexus is a mirror match.

You should guillotine someone about it.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

A Moose posted:

Fwiw jund and rdw are half the decks I face at the top of mythic. Red has favorable matchups against nexus variants and is decent against gruul post board (huge dog game 1)

Jund eats red and gruul alive and loses to nexus

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

wizzardstaff posted:

Just learned that Arena is not going to be supported on Geforce NOW streaming after May 31. This was the only way I was able to play it on my non-Windows laptop. Guess I'm out of luck until the June update when I can try to run the new 64-bit client with Wine.
Cheesegod made a ticket for it on their support page, if everyone wants to vote it up at least
https://feedback.wizards.com/forums/918667-mtg-arena-bugs/suggestions/40534399-please-opt-in-mtg-arena-on-geforce-now

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i think that a deck reliant on turbofogging is always going to be a little soft to RG aggro decks playing 4-8 maindeck cards that say "damage can't be prevented." i've had great results with winota not just as a combo deck but just as a very solid curveout aggro deck (that, yes, sometimes kills you out of nowhere)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Nexus feels pretty even against most control builds (although I hate the UW Yorion match up), insanely favoured against midrangey decks or decks that rely on Field of the Dead as the win condition, and is soft to super low aggressive decks. I’ve lost to the Winota deck quite a bit, but other than some borrowers and a Gust I didn’t have much in my SB to deal with them.

Everyone I know who actually plays the format loves it. I really wonder what they’re banning from it on Monday...I can’t really think of anything that NEEDS to go, but there’s certainly stuff I wouldn’t mind seeing gone.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Boco_T posted:

Cheesegod made a ticket for it on their support page, if everyone wants to vote it up at least
https://feedback.wizards.com/forums/918667-mtg-arena-bugs/suggestions/40534399-please-opt-in-mtg-arena-on-geforce-now
There's some reddit posts too, it's just Opt in, wotc just needs enough noise to get it done.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I think they should be killing off fires, and probably teferi just to future proof, since that card should have never seen the light of day as printed. If they did that I’d be ok with them nailing winota even thought they really don’t have to and it’s a fair deck. If they ban something from winota without hitting anything from the lukka decks I’m done with the format until they pull their heads out of their asses.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Is it likely they will announce the changes and immediately apply those changes to Arena?

I'm sitting on 140 Ikoria packs that I was waiting to open after I was done with drafting but I'm wondering if I should crack them in case some cards get banned and we get wildcards.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Rhaegar posted:

Is it likely they will announce the changes and immediately apply those changes to Arena?

I'm sitting on 140 Ikoria packs that I was waiting to open after I was done with drafting but I'm wondering if I should crack them in case some cards get banned and we get wildcards.

Yes, any bans will be applied immediately on Arena.

It's pretty unlikely any Ikoria kards will actually be banned though I think.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

sometimes there's a delay on arena and sometimes not

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes, any bans will be applied immediately on Arena.

It's pretty unlikely any Ikoria kards will actually be banned though I think.

I thought companions would likely get hit in some way.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

They have said they are "addressing Companions" as part of their statement, completely divorced from the part where they say they are banning cards in standard and historic.

The fact of the matter is that they are errataing companions in some capacity and that means its EXTREMELY unlikely they will ban any of them until they see the results of their errata.

Anything is possible, but the odds that any companion is banned is slim to none.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Rhaegar posted:

I thought companions would likely get hit in some way.

They are, but they might not ban any. No one is sure if they will offer wildcards for them, since they are just changing rules, and not banning cards.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s no way on earth they are giving out 40 Wildcards

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

There’s no way on earth they are giving out 40 Wildcards
why would you give out 40 wildcards for messing with companion

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Who tf even owns all the companions let alone 4 copies of them lmao.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A Moose posted:

Drawing Winota isn't that hard in Historic when you can fetch her with Fauna Shaman.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I doubt any companions are getting banned and if it wasn't functional errata they wouldn't have mentioned addressing companions.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The Winota deck really isn’t some format defining deck now that people have sideboard cards for it. It’s a fun, high tier 2 deck

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The biggest drawback of Winota is when your hand gets clogged with garbage you never want to play from hand (Haktos, Marauders) and if you have your turns 2 and 3 picked apart then it's an uphill battle to establish board presence for a trigger. You frequently have to rely on Fauna Shaman and having just some really solid 2 and 3 drops on their own to carry some games.

I count Ruinblaster as a 3 drop

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Time posted:

The Winota deck really isn’t some format defining deck now that people have sideboard cards for it. It’s a fun, high tier 2 deck

It's utterly baffling why anyone would cry about naya Winota. It's fun to interact against and it's fun to play.

It doesn't even agent your stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

fadam posted:

Who tf even owns all the companions let alone 4 copies of them lmao.

I have every rare in the set and I didnt spend a dime.