Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

thespaceinvader posted:

Agent definitely started getting bad in Theros with Simic Ramp and Thassa blinking it.

a lil, I played thassa blink near the tail end of that format and it was... ok. It wasn’t too oppressive since you needed to actually play seven lands and then resolve a seven mana spell to get an agent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Bo1 is being used at the qualifying method for a cash money tournament, so I expect Wizards think it matters quite a lot.

Even if it's not being treated like a competitive format here (which is legit, it's not like I'm doing that any more either), Wizards are apparently treating it that way, and I'd be surprised if they're not considering a ban.

WotC is using Best of 1 qualifying so that even the best players in the world will have to pay $20 entry fees multiple times to win 7 coin flips before losing 3.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Dies to removal is not an argument for a card not being broken hth

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Naya Winota is a very, very good deck in bo3 Historic, arguably the very best deck in the format

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I goofed on the title copy/paste so I'll fix it when I get home this evening, but for now feel free to utilize my original character Guild Hal

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

please leave the typo it's perfect

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Time posted:

Only if you don’t want to use lurrus in game 2

Sedisp posted:

I don't think removing your companion in a lurrus deck is worth a five five that implodes to hard removal.

I think something is bugged here. I went to confirm this in Traditional Standard Play, and if I concede the first match, the game allows me to Sideboard in Gary and friends on Round 2 WITHOUT removing Lurrus as companion, which is how I thought it worked.

HOWEVER when I put in the 4+ CMC cards and confirm... it seems to just ignore it. It shows them in the deck during Sideboarding but when Round 2 actually starts, all the cards I added aren't in the deck, and cards I removed playsets of are BACK in the deck. Extremely weird.

Anyway, ruling says:

quote:

The requirements of the companion ability apply only to your starting deck. They do not apply to your sideboard.

I took that to mean you can leave Lurrus as companion and sideboard in bigger permanents things without removing him. Or do they only mean that "starting deck" is the deck you start with each round, you can only Wish things into the game that don't fit the requirements?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you do your sideboard and lock it in with a companion chosen and your deck doesn't fit the requirements it'll boot you back to your previous configuration.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Zero VGS posted:

Anyway, ruling says:

I took that to mean you can leave Lurrus as companion and sideboard in bigger permanents things without removing him. Or do they only mean that "starting deck" is the deck you start with each round, you can only Wish things into the game that don't fit the requirements?

You’re wrong and reading it wrong

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sampatrick posted:

Dies to removal is not an argument for a card not being broken hth
It actually is lol (especially for 4+ mana cards). It implies that however dominant it is now its winrate can drastically drop with deck adjustments that dont require running unrealistic maindeck cards. It's not a proof but it's certainly an argument.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

No Wave posted:

It actually is lol (especially for 4+ mana cards). It implies that however dominant it is now its winrate can drastically drop with deck adjustments that dont require running unrealistic maindeck cards. It's not a proof but it's certainly an argument.

Saheeli Guardian was balanced, actually

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qu58muHI_8

Neoform Winota looks like... a great way to cheese out BO1 for the Magic Open.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

fadam posted:

Lol please don’t gatekeep me for having a different opinion than you.

Nobody is doing this you idiot lmao. There are no "fake" formats it's just a code word for you and Goat and other shitheads looking down on people who play formats you don't like.

Tezzeract posted:

I was going to try to watch this but I saw it's 46 loving minutes long and the guy's voice is super annoying so I will assume he's a control player who sees nothing wrong with Teferi, Agent, Lukka, Yorion, etc. and wants to whine about how he's not in full command of every opponent on every turn and can't be like :hmmyes: I am a very smart person every time he takes 15s to decide which land to play.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 30, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nobody is doing this you idiot lmao. There are no "fake" formats it's just a code word for you and Goat and other shitheads looking down on people who play formats you don't like.

you're the one that was a screaming fit anytime anyone plays a control deck lmao

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
no you see the people upset at me saying they play fake formats and aren't playing real magic are the REAL gatekeepers

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Good thread title btw

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lone Goat posted:

you're the one that was a screaming fit anytime anyone plays a control deck lmao

I think I've done it twice and I was just drunk and venting and haven't done it in a long time. I accept control as a legit win axis I just think it's always an op axis because god forbid not every game of magic takes a half hour

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You can ask for whatever bans you want in Bo1 and nobody's gonna argue with you.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
mill is fun in this fnm event

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Elephant Ambush posted:

I was going to try to watch this but I saw it's 46 loving minutes long and the guy's voice is super annoying so I will assume he's a control player who sees nothing wrong with Teferi, Agent, Lukka, Yorion, etc. and wants to whine about how he's not in full command of every opponent on every turn and can't be like :hmmyes: I am a very smart person every time he takes 15s to decide which land to play.

:3:

yeah it's pretty long, but you get to see some degenerate stuff. mtg's dead, long live mtg

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I think I've done it twice and I was just drunk and venting and haven't done it in a long time. I accept control as a legit win axis I just think it's always an op axis because god forbid not every game of magic takes a half hour

you did it literally 3 days ago lol

Elephant Ambush posted:

OMG if they ban Winota in yet another format but refuse to ban all the lovely durdly control bullshit I am going to go ballistic.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
winota was fine in brawl, it's not her fault few people run removal (i only played it once [yes i won])

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Bo1 is being used at the qualifying method for a cash money tournament, so I expect Wizards think it matters quite a lot.

Even if it's not being treated like a competitive format here (which is legit, it's not like I'm doing that any more either), Wizards are apparently treating it that way, and I'd be surprised if they're not considering a ban.

Lmao. If you think the qualifying event is bo1 because they care about that format and not because it means more slot machine pulls I have a bridge to sell you.

There have been a total of exactly one restriction that has ever been targeted at bo1 and that was because they didn't have any mechanism in arena for looping nexus with no win cons

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Tezzeract posted:

Holy loving poo poo that deck looks insane O_O

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When are we getting brawl bo3???

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

resistentialism posted:

If you do your sideboard and lock it in with a companion chosen and your deck doesn't fit the requirements it'll boot you back to your previous configuration.

Oh... you'd think they'd... I dunno, point that out somewhere instead of just reverting your sideboard without telling you?

Time posted:

You’re wrong and reading it wrong

OK fine. I'm gonna post me doing infinite damage to #1075 ranked player to feel better about myself:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That 4c Winota deck has good highrolls but there's a tonne of fail cases including its extremely bad manabase. Arboreal Grazer does have very good highrolls in theory but it's often really awkward, it might be better off as Paradise Druid.

It seems like the kind of deck which is good for grinding rank since you can knock out 5 games in 15 minutes but where it's incredibly unlikely you'll ever go 7-3.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I can't stop making Seven Dwarves decks in these FNM formats but this time it's finally working.

Got someone to rope me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

flatluigi posted:

no you see the people upset at me saying they play fake formats and aren't playing real magic are the REAL gatekeepers

He was trolling.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
T1 Goose, T2 Hanged Executioner,T3 Neoform into Winota hitting two Agents taking both your lands is damned rude.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The CFB Top 5 is usually pretty good but this week it has some extra Historic so it's extra good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GZfCNnkAcA

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tezzeract posted:

I see his point but I still don't think Winota warrants a ban though. This is literally variance.dec

Definitely jamming this on Day 1 for the Open though.

Edit: Would recommend running 1-2 Kenrith in the list, otherwise you run a not insignificant chance of whiffing on the Winota trigger.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 30, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Elephant Ambush posted:

I was going to try to watch this but I saw it's 46 loving minutes long and the guy's voice is super annoying

Sorry to hear that, maybe you should try cleansing your palette with the ASMR stylings of Saffron Olive.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

you did it literally 3 days ago lol

Lmfbo

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
For FNM Cascade I stole this Mutate deck Mengu brewed quickly on stream. It's so good, I did all my dailies and went 14-3.

Companion
1 Umori, the Collector (IKO) 231

Deck
4 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
4 Island (IKO) 265
4 Auspicious Starrix (IKO) 144
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
2 Castle Garenbrig (ELD) 240
3 End-Raze Forerunners (RNA) 124
4 Illuna, Apex of Wishes (IKO) 190
2 Ketria Triome (IKO) 250
14 Forest (IKO) 274
4 Migratory Greathorn (IKO) 165
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
4 Parcelbeast (IKO) 199
4 Pollywog Symbiote (IKO) 63
3 Gemrazer (IKO) 155

Sideboard
1 Umori, the Collector (IKO) 231

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Can you spectate a friend yet like I’m hearthstone?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
For FNM it was an easy 2-0 with my old 16 land mono-red:

Cavalcade gets you a bonus attacker

Light up the Stage and Skewer both count as 3 CMC when you cast them for 1, lol

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Has anyone played around with Unburial Rites in Historic? Seems like you can do some interesting stuff, there's enough self mill from Stitcher's Supplier, Glowspore Shaman and The Binding of the Titans to get some pretty hilarious turn 4s or even 3s. I'm trying out ulamog right now, but as big and strong as he is, he might not be the best reanimation target, since he doesn't do anything the turn he comes down and I have no real way to protect him from getting bounced, exiled or stolen. Dream Trawler and Agent are both probably better. Anybody have any other good reanimation targets? I was thinking something like Carnage Tyrant or Zetalpa or maybe Azor? Platinum Angel could be funny.

here's my current deck:

Deck
4 Unburial Rites (ISD) 122
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
4 Stitcher's Supplier (M19) 121
2 Mire Triton (THB) 105
2 Momentary Blink (TSP) 29
3 Glowspore Shaman (GRN) 173
1 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
3 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger (BFZ) 15
4 The Binding of the Titans (THB) 166
3 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
2 Dream Trawler (THB) 214
2 Titans' Nest (IKO) 212
2 Agent of Treachery (M20) 43
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
3 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
2 Woodland Cemetery (DAR) 248
4 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
3 Thirst for Meaning (THB) 74

I haven't decided on a sideboard yet. Probably some number of Shifting Ceratops, maybe move the Momentary Blinks to the sideboard, and some targeted removal. Maybe some Brontodons to deal with Grafdigger's Cage or Leyline of the Void.

Titan's Nest is basically just there so if I can conceivably hard-cast Ulamog or Agent if they're stuck in my hand.

Edit: I went up against a couple other mill decks that cut out the green and just used that 0/4 merfolk, I like how The Binding of the Titans just kind of randomly hoses them. It also eats the occasional Uro or Kroxa which is nice. And sometimes it gives me a land when I'm 1 land off casting Rites. It may be slow, but it has some nice utility.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 30, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/crokeyz/status/1264988459774758912

Abzan Pants has been really fun to play even if a lot of the time the stars need to line up to get your Hexproof on your Adanto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Sedisp posted:

There have been a total of exactly one restriction that has ever been targeted at bo1 and that was because they didn't have any mechanism in arena for looping nexus with no win cons

This isn't quite true. While there were other reasons for Nexus' ban in bo1, there is another precedent in that Rampaging Ferocidon was briefly unbanned in standard bo3 but not bo1 when M20 came out. This shows they're willing to consider bo1 and bo3 different formats, which is pretty much what they are, so good on them.

However you feel about bo1, it is the most popular way to play arena and they're not going to let a deck that wins games based on its starting hand run around with an 80% winrate or whatever Brad Nelson's number was. They're not going to do that out of the goodness of their hearts, but because they need their human bots to not mass ragequit after they keep getting their 2nd land (and the 3rd and the 4th and the 5th) stolen.