Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
My experience with M21 is that every single time my opponent casts Roaming Ghostlight, they cast a second Roaming Ghostlight the next turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Buying the mastery pass preorder gets you 3 draft entries and getting a pre-release code from someone (easy on various discords, just know someone who always does multiple prerelease events) gets you another one plus six packs. So, right there, that's 4 basically free entries per set, assuming you're buying the mastery passes anyway which I think is vastly the best RoI on anything they sell. If you can do okay in a couple of those drafts or well in 1, then cool, now you have another draft entry or two if you want. Before Arena, novice drafters had no choice but to play Bo3, and over the years I have watched a lot of novice drafters gradually turn into saturday regulars, gradually turn into the people you really would rather not play round 2 if you can avoid it. Arena gives you the option to focus on Bo1 which will certainly teach you fundamentals, but the variance is higher and even in limited sideboarding is such a fundamental part of the game, I don't think people do themselves favors by trying to duck that complexity for very long.

The fundamental part of drafting is the draft. Not sideboarding, not deck building, not even the games, but the part where you take cards from boosters. The cheaper options are better for lower skilled players because they get more drafts for their gold. The more reps they get drafting, the better they'll get.

If someone has a 50% win rate in bo3 that means that half the time they get nothing but a single booster at the end and have to wait another entire week before they can get back into the queue. At least in Premier or Quick they'll get some gems to afford part of another re entry.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

though in Bo3, its not ranked, so if your winrate is even a tiny bit above 50%, its pretty easy to go consistently 2-1. You will occasionally win games, and then be able to side in 3x of that card that makes your opponent sac a flier vs your azorius flyers opponent.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Learning to sideboard seemed important, so I learned to sideboard.

Learning to draft seemed important so I learned to draft.

Learning to sideboard in draft does not seem important.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

A Moose posted:

though in Bo3, its not ranked, so if your winrate is even a tiny bit above 50%, its pretty easy to go consistently 2-1. You will occasionally win games, and then be able to side in 3x of that card that makes your opponent sac a flier vs your azorius flyers opponent.

A tiny bit over 50 doesn't get you a "consistent" 2-1 when you can only afford 4-5 drafts a month.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Jabor posted:

If your stated goal is to "build and maintain a collection over a long period of time with the minimum cash input", why are you advocating spending real money on a mastery pass preorder in order to maybe potentially save a little time but only if you're already good at Limited?

I didn't mean to imply the mastery pass was necessary; I think it's the best RoI on money input by far even if you're not good at limited. I also agree that it's not necessary to purchase if you're willing to grind enough; I like to play between 2-10hrs/week. On the low end of that, I'd struggle to get most rares within the space of a set, but I'm still playing ~10hrs/month so spending ~$17/month doesn't faze me.

I also like some of the silly dumb aesthetic poo poo the mastery path unlocks; can totally see someone in a different situation not giving a gently caress and also having more time to grind.

Lone Goat posted:

A tiny bit over 50 doesn't get you a "consistent" 2-1 when you can only afford 4-5 drafts a month.

You need like 70% to go infinite on drafts but you don't need to nearly go infinite on drafts to unlock most everything. Going infinite here also seems frustrating because it's not like you can eventually cash out a couple hundred bucks in tickets and buy yourself a nicer toaster the way you can with MTGO.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Going infinite on mtga seems like a fool's errand, you can draft and play standard very cheaply though with an ok winrate

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Okay this deck is just loving silly good and crushes everything.

When you realise you can exile the cat with ooze... I scremed

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm not willing to call this "good" in a world where Tef3ri exists, and I'm not certain that this is the right build, but... this thing has been cranking out Bo1 wins since I added Lofty Denial this week. In pretty classic style, it's a control deck that barfs incidental card advantage onto the field.

It's also really fun to play, which is a bonus.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I prefer bo3 draft because I don't enjoy the variance in bo1, especially in M21 where in my experience going first matters more than it did in other formats. In Plat and up a large portion of the field is aggressive decks for good reason. If you don't keep up with limited podcasts/streams, this might be helpful:

Unless you open a Rare/Mythic bomb in P1, you should look to draft an aggressive deck. The only card at uncommon that would encourage me to draft a midrange/control deck is Teferi's Tutelage. Even if you get these bombs, you must have a plan for early game interaction. Walls and generic 2-drops are fine if you weren't lucky enough to pick up 1-3CMC removal.

Prioritise picking 2-3 drops/removal over 4+ ones, because there are enough options at 4+. Basri's Acolyte and Roaming Ghostlight are the only irreplaceable common/uncommon creatures at 4+ CMC. The 5 CMC removal spells are average in a format this fast. I'd play an absolute maximum of 2 copies, but am usually happy with 1.

Red has the greatest depth in commons and is usually good to go into early if nothing stands out. I personally like White because it's a good base for aggressive decks and combines well with most colours, with WB being the exception. I'd say Blue is tied with White for 2nd best colour, and UR is probably the colour pair with most depth and build options.

Green can be great if it's underdrafted. A late Drowsing Tyrannodon is usually a good indication of this, card is great in any deck. Black's weakest because it only has two good commons in Grasp and Thallid. Grasp costs BB, which encourages going heavy black but its depth of commons can't support that regularly.

If I had to roughly rank the pairs I'd do them like this:

T1: UR, RW, GW, RB
T2: UW, RG, WB
T3: GB, UB

I haven't drafted UG yet but if I had to guess it'd be T2. I have UB at the bottom because reanimator is clunky and the pair tends toward control decks. GB can be fine if they're open in your draft but the colour pair has the lowest depth in commons.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm surprised aggro is so good just because lifegain seems unusually solid this time around, and kinda eats aggro for breakfast. My first 3-0 basically won two sets off 3x Trufflesnout blowing out more aggressive decks, using them to gain life and then either chumpblock or sac them for Goremand or the 4CMC 3/4 that draws you a card.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Lack of sideboarding sucks but the main thing I don't like about bo1 draft is the hand smoother and the metagame around it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Is this mastery pass worth it or does it suck rear end like ikoria’s

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Ersatz posted:

I was inspired by your posts to give up on my eternal quest to take vampires to Mythic (for this month) and to just slam Gruul in historic instead. Took about two hours to hit Mythic from high diamond with a 64% win rate.

Gruul is absurd. On the other hand, it was immensely satisfying to trash control over and over that easily.

Yeah it's super fast and I love it. It's so nice to have Llanowar Elves and BTE back. BTE is one of my favorite cards ever and chaining a couple into Robber makes smile every time.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

A Big... Dog posted:

Okay this deck is just loving silly good and crushes everything.

When you realise you can exile the cat with ooze... I scremed

I built a slightly jank version of this (burned all my rares and was 2-3 cards short), very quickly got 4 wins .

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Can you not see the track rewards without purchasing it? If that's the case I can screenshot it and someone else can do the math.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

First game of the new season I got roped by a soul sisters player while I had to go to the bathroom really bad :anime:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

fadam posted:

First game of the new season I got roped by a soul sisters player while I had to go to the bathroom really bad :anime:

Karma for playing Nexus

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Karma for playing Nexus

It's 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have officially played Arena on MacOS, and it functions.

I've done a ton of remote desktop stuff since my job went work from home, and they feel just about the same amount of floaty/delay/UI headache.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

fadam posted:

So what happened

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Funkdreamer posted:

So what happened

Let’s just say I won’t have to do laundry early this week.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Really enjoying this Winota dog deck. Makes up for the mythic WCs I wasted crafting her for historic

Deck
2 Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice (GRN) 153
4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
4 Gingerbrute (ELD) 219
3 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
3 Tajic, Legion's Edge (GRN) 204
4 Embercleave (ELD) 120
8 Mountain (UND) 94
8 Plains (UND) 88
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
4 Temple of Triumph (M21) 256
4 Alpine Houndmaster (M21) 215
2 Alpine Watchdog (M21) 2
2 Igneous Cur (M21) 153
4 Seasoned Hallowblade (M21) 34
4 Selfless Savior (M21) 36

Sideboard
2 Containment Priest (M21) 13
3 Disenchant (M20) 14
2 Fight as One (IKO) 12
4 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
4 Redcap Melee (ELD) 135

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
So the white life gain deck can get a little silly:

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm surprised aggro is so good just because lifegain seems unusually solid this time around, and kinda eats aggro for breakfast. My first 3-0 basically won two sets off 3x Trufflesnout blowing out more aggressive decks, using them to gain life and then either chumpblock or sac them for Goremand or the 4CMC 3/4 that draws you a card.

The incidental lifegain is okay in this set. The best way to leverage it is still to be aggressive enough to race or have bombs to play in the late-game. Combat tricks, +1/+1 counters and Prowess are cheap and good this set, which makes blocking a bad prospect when you tap out on turn 4 or 5 to play a blocker. In M21, the stat lines for common/uncommon 4-5 CMC creatures aren't much better than 2-3 CMC ones, and are usually not too difficult for the aggressor to overcome. Cards that were bad in older formats, like Short Sword and Dub are very much C- playables in M21.

I haven't had much luck building around lifegain payoffs. Most of them are uncommon or higher, and cards like Indulging Patrician and Griffin Aerie are clunky if you're not the aggressor because they only trigger on your turn. I had a 7-2 WB deck that was just an aggressive deck where the lifegain was mostly incidental.

Wezlar posted:

Lack of sideboarding sucks but the main thing I don't like about bo1 draft is the hand smoother and the metagame around it.

Yeah, for those unaware the meta in higher ranks is to jam aggressive 16-land decks to take advantage of the smoother. It invalidates a lot of other strategies when aggro decks can curve out consistently.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Any suggestions with this one?

Deck https://www.17lands.com/deck/a7ce4103167d4489a727689a259e1b6b/0
Draft https://www.17lands.com/draft/a7ce4103167d4489a727689a259e1b6b

Mostly the plan is ramping into big stuff which makes me think I want the Gloom Sower but I'm not sure what to cut for it, and/or at least on Blood Glutton, but ditto, whilst using lifegain and decent-sized blockers to keep the board stalled, and/or just getting both Sanctums down and draining the opponent whilst stalling.

Ugin was P1P1, and I already know a minor mistake I made, which was windmill slamming him without looking too hard at the colour distribution. I picked the Capture Sphere fairly early with a mind to building off the Gagglemaster into UW fliers, but it didn't pan out.

Not being able to take the Gargaroth P3P1 was painful, and whether to take any of the good blue P2P1 similarly. Ditto the Finishing Blow I passed up at one point for a creature because I felt like I had decent amounts of removal but was low on good creatures...

Not playing for another 12 hours so any overnight feedback would be appreciated.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 30, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It's better than Ikoria, you get 3300 gems of currency (gold, gems, draft token) before the boosters, so it depends on what value 20 boosters at.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Can you not see the track rewards without purchasing it? If that's the case I can screenshot it and someone else can do the math.

I did the math already!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uVDBz68VvZvxfC-tMaK3VarOV3Cg8uxhSGTOd6BcUTY/edit#gid=975657678

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

house of the dad posted:

Really enjoying this Winota dog deck. Makes up for the mythic WCs I wasted crafting her for historic

Deck
2 Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice (GRN) 153
4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
4 Gingerbrute (ELD) 219
3 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
3 Tajic, Legion's Edge (GRN) 204
4 Embercleave (ELD) 120
8 Mountain (UND) 94
8 Plains (UND) 88
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
4 Temple of Triumph (M21) 256
4 Alpine Houndmaster (M21) 215
2 Alpine Watchdog (M21) 2
2 Igneous Cur (M21) 153
4 Seasoned Hallowblade (M21) 34
4 Selfless Savior (M21) 36

Sideboard
2 Containment Priest (M21) 13
3 Disenchant (M20) 14
2 Fight as One (IKO) 12
4 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
4 Redcap Melee (ELD) 135

I tried something like this over the weekend and it just didn't feel right for me. It's built like an aggro deck but plays more like a midrange deck. Maybe it's just not my style or maybe I just didn't play it right (likely) but the only things I remember liking are the indestructible stuff against control and the card draw that Houndmaster gives you.

I think I just have the wrong mindset. I keep expecting to win faster and maybe I shouldn't go in so hard and try to play around stuff.

Any tips you could offer? I really want to like this deck!

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

I tried something like this over the weekend and it just didn't feel right for me. It's built like an aggro deck but plays more like a midrange deck. Maybe it's just not my style or maybe I just didn't play it right (likely) but the only things I remember liking are the indestructible stuff against control and the card draw that Houndmaster gives you.

I think I just have the wrong mindset. I keep expecting to win faster and maybe I shouldn't go in so hard and try to play around stuff.

Any tips you could offer? I really want to like this deck!

I may just be lucking out because it feels good against sultai ramp, which is what I'm mostly running into since rank reset. My single favorite part is how the houndmasters thin your deck while also fetching cards to discard to seasoned hallowblade. I don't know how it'd fare against something like gruul but I have also beaten stompy a couple times with it in bo3. There's really not much else to say because you're just trying to curve out as efficiently as possible and land either an embercleave or winota to close the game. I doubt the deck will survive once the meta is more established but I'm glad an effective deck has emerged from this dog stuff.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I am loving the GW archetype in draft. Being on the play and going t2 extra counters conclave dude, t3 add a counter and double his counters -> swing for 7 is just so fun. It might help that I had 3 hydras in the sealed pool I played and I got 2 of the conclave dude in my last draft, but it seems pretty strong and it's really easy to get creatures that are just way better than your opponent's stuff.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

house of the dad posted:

I may just be lucking out because it feels good against sultai ramp, which is what I'm mostly running into since rank reset. My single favorite part is how the houndmasters thin your deck while also fetching cards to discard to seasoned hallowblade. I don't know how it'd fare against something like gruul but I have also beaten stompy a couple times with it in bo3. There's really not much else to say because you're just trying to curve out as efficiently as possible and land either an embercleave or winota to close the game. I doubt the deck will survive once the meta is more established but I'm glad an effective deck has emerged from this dog stuff.

Cool thanks. I'll try it again this weekend.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008
HELP!!, I can't stop it. Since I hit mythic at the end of the season, I've been doing nothing but building jank decks that utilize Teferi's Tutelage and self casting Peer into the Abyss... I just can't stop laughing every time I pull it off. I even slotted Underworld dreams in my deck just so I can cast Peer on them if I feel like watching a different unending set of triggers that inevitably not a single opponent has let play out once they realize what has happened.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I just played against the blue workshop deck and I think it was the worst Magic I've ever experienced. It always sucks when you have lethal and the other player just makes you skip a turn so they can recharge Teferi to lock down your creatures, but when you're getting roped the whole time because your opponent needs 45 minutes to learn his cards it's brutal. I almost conceded 20 minutes in and I wish I had instead of sitting there with my Wurm limp in my hand.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Luccion posted:

HELP!!, I can't stop it. Since I hit mythic at the end of the season, I've been doing nothing but building jank decks that utilize Teferi's Tutelage and self casting Peer into the Abyss... I just can't stop laughing every time I pull it off. I even slotted Underworld dreams in my deck just so I can cast Peer on them if I feel like watching a different unending set of triggers that inevitably not a single opponent has let play out once they realize what has happened.

There’s nothing to stop. loving around in mythic with messy decks is your reward for grinding through all the grixis freaks, cavemen and ropers in plat and diamond.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Any suggestions with this one?

Deck https://www.17lands.com/deck/a7ce4103167d4489a727689a259e1b6b/0
Draft https://www.17lands.com/draft/a7ce4103167d4489a727689a259e1b6b

Mostly the plan is ramping into big stuff which makes me think I want the Gloom Sower but I'm not sure what to cut for it, and/or at least on Blood Glutton, but ditto, whilst using lifegain and decent-sized blockers to keep the board stalled, and/or just getting both Sanctums down and draining the opponent whilst stalling.

Ugin was P1P1, and I already know a minor mistake I made, which was windmill slamming him without looking too hard at the colour distribution. I picked the Capture Sphere fairly early with a mind to building off the Gagglemaster into UW fliers, but it didn't pan out.

Not being able to take the Gargaroth P3P1 was painful, and whether to take any of the good blue P2P1 similarly. Ditto the Finishing Blow I passed up at one point for a creature because I felt like I had decent amounts of removal but was low on good creatures...

Not playing for another 12 hours so any overnight feedback would be appreciated.

P1P2: This is an easy Scorching Dragonfire for me. The format is fast and aggressive, so a good 2-drop is much higher value than a good 5-drop.

P1P3: Drowsing Tyranodon is a house. A two mana 3/3 is very good stats and it's surprisingly easy to turn on for attacking. Capture Sphere, and expensive removal in general, is pretty clunky in the format. Feat of Resistance and the Houndmaster are other solid card if you wanted to try and stay with white. It's way too early to think of yourself as the U/W flyers drafter.

P1P8: Sanctum is trash unless you're in a dedicated shrine deck (and even then it's still pretty weak). You could have had another pegasus to support the flyers deck you want to get in, or a dreadmaw if you're feeling greedy.

P2P2: I think the scythe is much better here. Palladium Myr is good with Ugin and that's about it. Scythe meanwhile is going to be good with any creature in your deck. I'd rather work towards something that improves my weak cards rather than something that makes my bomb even bombier.

P2P5: Don't sleep on Dub. It's not good with your current pool but if you pick up a Seasoned Hallowblade or Feat of Resistance it becomes playable. You're pretty clearly given up on blue so there's no value in taking a blue card.

P3P3: Since you mentioned this one, I think the pick was fine. You already have two copies of Secure, so there's not a pressing need for 5 mana removal.

P3P12: Be honest with yourself, you're never going to want 3 copies of alchemist's gift in your deck. Meanwhile the Makeshift Battalion is a totally fine card, much better than it was in War of the Spark. Not sure if you end up maindecking it but it's better to give yourself as many options as possible rather than pick a redundant card.

It feels like you baited yourself into thinking you're a control deck with the ugin. You leaned towards slow, controlling cards (even when it's crap like the white shrine) and passed up good aggressive tools like Makeshift Battalion and Daybreak Charger.

That said, your final build looks like you made the best out of your pool.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 30, 2020

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

fadam posted:

There’s nothing to stop. loving around in mythic with messy decks is your reward for grinding through all the grixis freaks, cavemen and ropers in plat and diamond.

Hahaha, that's fair, and a good perspective to take I guess. Thanks!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why is basri kets ultimate only +3

please make all targeted creature removal apply to planes walkers

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Relin posted:

why is basri kets ultimate only +3

please make all targeted creature removal apply to planes walkers
Close games are unfun, so planeswalker ultimates need to decide them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

little munchkin posted:

P1P2: This is an easy Scorching Dragonfire for me. The format is fast and aggressive, so a good 2-drop is much higher value than a good 5-drop

This one in particular, I thought pretty hard about Dragonfire vs Slag vs Gagglemaster and I ended up concluding that I was more likely to wind up wheeling other cards that went well with the Gagglemaster than with the Dragonfire.

But yeah, I was havering over basically all the picks you point out here, mostly about the same cards and choices. It's good to know I'm at least not getting way off track.

I think my thoguht with Sanctums was if I could end up with two (either white/blue or white/black) they become decent, if I ended up with U/W/B they'd become really useful.

2 drain per round automatically is a pretty decent get for 3 mana if you can get them into hand, basically. BUt I think I overvalue them as an early punt from a perspective of 'if I get both, it would be good' versus 'what can I do with this one card in isolation'. Especially the green one.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

wei posted:

I prefer bo3 draft because I don't enjoy the variance in bo1, especially in M21 where in my experience going first matters more than it did in other formats. In Plat and up a large portion of the field is aggressive decks for good reason. If you don't keep up with limited podcasts/streams, this might be helpful:

Unless you open a Rare/Mythic bomb in P1, you should look to draft an aggressive deck. The only card at uncommon that would encourage me to draft a midrange/control deck is Teferi's Tutelage. Even if you get these bombs, you must have a plan for early game interaction. Walls and generic 2-drops are fine if you weren't lucky enough to pick up 1-3CMC removal.

Prioritise picking 2-3 drops/removal over 4+ ones, because there are enough options at 4+. Basri's Acolyte and Roaming Ghostlight are the only irreplaceable common/uncommon creatures at 4+ CMC. The 5 CMC removal spells are average in a format this fast. I'd play an absolute maximum of 2 copies, but am usually happy with 1.

Red has the greatest depth in commons and is usually good to go into early if nothing stands out. I personally like White because it's a good base for aggressive decks and combines well with most colours, with WB being the exception. I'd say Blue is tied with White for 2nd best colour, and UR is probably the colour pair with most depth and build options.

Green can be great if it's underdrafted. A late Drowsing Tyrannodon is usually a good indication of this, card is great in any deck. Black's weakest because it only has two good commons in Grasp and Thallid. Grasp costs BB, which encourages going heavy black but its depth of commons can't support that regularly.

Agree with pretty much everything here. Don't expect Tyrannodon to go late any more though, all the content creators are letting the secret out.

Would also recommend that people not underrate short sword. It's a card that kind of gets written off as too low-impact, but it's a mana efficient card that really helps out your low curve decks (also it's nuts with Tryannodon). Everyone's duking it out with 2-drops, and a short sword can make it so your 2-drops can beat theirs in combat.

Insurrectionist posted:

The aggressive decks aren't really about burning you out, they're more about curving out and overwhelming you. Lifegain can stall things out but if you're using things like revitalize that don't develop your board, then you're going to get punished when your opponent hits you for more than 3 life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

little munchkin posted:

The aggressive decks aren't really about burning you out, they're more about curving out and overwhelming you. Lifegain can stall things out but if you're using things like revitalize that don't develop your board, then you're going to get punished when your opponent hits you for more than 3 life.

I'm thinking more stuff like black sanctum, Basri's Acolyte, Faith's Fetters, Indulging Patrician, Trufflesnout etc. Those are all decent on their own, common/uncommon and have nice incidental lifegain. Then you have various rares and less playable cards (like the 5CMC 4/3 Lifelink or the various 1/1 lifelinkers that are only good in counter-based decks). A couple of the lifegain synergy cards are really nice, but generally I wouldn't suggest making 'lifegain decks' or running Revitalize or the like, but these all fit great in other decks.