Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

I've definitely gotten more disconnects in the last week or so, but I thought it was just my internet for some reason. I blame Mac users, personally.

I've been screwing around this "Life Gain" deck, please let me know if there's some way to improve it (aside from a sideboard, but I'm lazy about figuring that out before the actual deck). I don't think it's better than Rakdosac, but there's something funny about opponents too scared to attack me for fear of their inevitable death.

Too many 3-mana cards, you're bound to have games where you don't draw cat/oven and have very little to do but hope that this turn's 3 drop doesn't get removed. You'll want to flatten your mana curve a bit to speed up the kill, or you're just asking to commit to getting all your poo poo exiled by ugin or get yourself outvalued by an Uro. The ghouls seem nice when the engine comes online, but without any mire tritons or tymaret calls the dead, you're only getting them into the graveyard by casting them and that hugely clogs up the 3-drop slot. I like bastion a lot, but I'd disagree that you need all of celebrant effects 7 and 8 if we're trying to get the curve down. You also only need 1 white for 4 celebrants each, so you're a little heavy on the white. Try out village rites for card draw, lampad of death's vigil for sac/damage and boardwipe/exile protection, and archfiend's vessel.

At first pass:
OUT:
4 Silversmote Ghoul
2 Bastion of Remembrance
2 Plains
2 Fabled Passage

IN:
2 Village Rites
2 Archfiend's Vessel
2 Lampad of Death's vigil
2 Swamp
2 Castle Locthwain

Play around with the numbers make your judgments about what works or doesn't, maybe see if Ayara is suits you. looks fun, though. Sacrificing a scorpion to a lampad with vito and celebrant out domes the opponent for 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

IMJack posted:

Is Hooded Blightfang deathtouch shenanigans the new hot constructed jank or do I just have lovely luck running into 3 of these in a row?

As a deathtouch creature it's pretty solid all around. Not an overwhelming board presence, and not as good as Question Beast, but it has good offensive and defensive utility and as a 3 drop that can be splashed there's not a lot to dislike.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

people posted:

Good draft advice

Ok, cool, appreciate it. Great advice all around. I don't hate anything, just normally avoid auras, first time in format, I'll keep an eye on Training in the future and will play this crap out tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time.

Toozler fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 8, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RC Cola posted:

Recommend me a golgari deck that uses scavenging ooze please friend

The Rock is too slow to deal with Nexus unfortunately. You basically need to draw your enchantment removal before they play Wilderness Reclamation but also with no Teferi on the board.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
2/3, needed 3 to get the next one, and performed a lot better when I took the Sanctums out. White/black sanctum together is strong, but I only ever saw the poo poo (E: this was meant to say white but I think it's accurate) one which on its own did have some utility, but never winning utility. Only saw Ugin once, he won me that game.

Ghoul is very good if you can pair it with a reliable 3 lifegain. Being able to attack then sac for draw and immediately get it back is excellent.

Slightly sad that this leaves me ~300 gems off the next one but what can you do.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 1, 2020

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Finally got my 7 wins with the Boros aggro. Only took 19 drafts.. Nothing special really, just good commons and uncommons. The only rare of note is Salvo which did come in handy but was pretty difficult to cast a lot of the time. Angelic Ascension is an incredibly versatile card, I would run as many as I could get.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/d345ea81b0194ebb95a26c739f8cfb6f
https://www.17lands.com/deck/d345ea81b0194ebb95a26c739f8cfb6f

Siege Striker is also better than I thought mainly on the back of being able to tap creatures that still have summoning sickness. I'd say he's right up there with Hallowblade in white's best uncommons.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah I was expecting Ascension to be a bit of an iffy way of continuing to use creatures which were blanked, but it turned out to be a lot more useful than that, both for and against me.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello, my name is The Klowner, and this is Jackass

(draft here)

I have nothing to say about this one.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Eej posted:

The Rock is too slow to deal with Nexus unfortunately. You basically need to draw your enchantment removal before they play Wilderness Reclamation but also with no Teferi on the board.

Why is simic the absolute worst. Anything with green blue is just stupid.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Anything black based should have 6-8 discard spells in the board to bring in against nexus and that does a good job of turning an unwinnable matchup into a relatively even one. They are also good against the various non-field ramp decks and the uw and uwb control decks running around.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Waffleopolis posted:

Doing another sealed run!

Should I go Blue/Black or White/Blue? Either options sounds enticing.

Your best color is red, but I think the most complimentary pool for it is black. A lot of removal, scythe and cauldron which are a nice combo, and Vito is quite good as well, and more importantly creatures to fill out your curve.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's my actual draft of the day, and my deck.

After completely blowing it the first time I drafted RW, I got into the archetype again after the season reset and went 6-3 from silver 1 to gold 3. I'm pretty happy I was able to pivot out of UR spells mid pack 2, kinda sad missing the vigilance dog p2p7 though, missing that pickup definitely messed up at least one of the games I played. I also completely blanked on the short sword p3p10, at that point I guess I was checked out after having gotten enough playables and my eyes not picking up any red or white.

Faced a lot of really durdly decks, multiple with no plays until turn 4 which was just fantastic for me. I almost lost the first game to a demonically embraced gorehorn but an incredible turn to slag topdeck saved my rear end. I think the lesson from this event was to be more aggressive with mulligans for low-curve decks, because I certainly would have 7-x'd if I didn't keep some slower hands.

p1p1

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

me: /finishes playing 3/5 color challenges as a newbie
fairy: wow you have enough gold for a booster pack follow me! this one!

and she's pointing at the 5$ thing you can't buy with gold so like

i see. okay. sure.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

StrixNebulosa posted:

i see. okay. sure.

Welcome to MTG Arena! The $5 welcome pack is actually a decent value; if you are looking to spend money on a single purchase then that'd be the one to make.

Don't forget to enter your promo codes for free packs; there are a few expiring today so I don't know if they're still valid: https://draftsim.com/mtg-arena-codes/

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

StrixNebulosa posted:

i see. okay. sure.
Respect her hustle

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

wizzardstaff posted:

Welcome to MTG Arena! The $5 welcome pack is actually a decent value; if you are looking to spend money on a single purchase then that'd be the one to make.

Don't forget to enter your promo codes for free packs; there are a few expiring today so I don't know if they're still valid: https://draftsim.com/mtg-arena-codes/

Or you can do what i do and debase myself for petty cash to spend on packs of imaginary cards

Be a whale! You can do it! Your kids can eat off brand cereal!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The Klowner posted:

Here's my actual draft of the day, and my deck.

After completely blowing it the first time I drafted RW, I got into the archetype again after the season reset and went 6-3 from silver 1 to gold 3. I'm pretty happy I was able to pivot out of UR spells mid pack 2, kinda sad missing the vigilance dog p2p7 though, missing that pickup definitely messed up at least one of the games I played. I also completely blanked on the short sword p3p10, at that point I guess I was checked out after having gotten enough playables and my eyes not picking up any red or white.

Faced a lot of really durdly decks, multiple with no plays until turn 4 which was just fantastic for me. I almost lost the first game to a demonically embraced gorehorn but an incredible turn to slag topdeck saved my rear end. I think the lesson from this event was to be more aggressive with mulligans for low-curve decks, because I certainly would have 7-x'd if I didn't keep some slower hands.

p1p1

P1P2: I'm super down on Enthralling Hold. 5 mana to steal a tapped creature means you took some damage last turn and you're probably going to take some more damage after you cast it. Would prefer Conclave Mentor or Llanowar Visionary.
P1P7: Feel like shock is a lot better here since you already have two red cards.
P1P8: When you already have a bunch of two drops, and you're not in a deck that makes sacrifice fodder, there's not a lot of value in the hobblefiend. Goblin Wizardry is good if you want to get into r/u and Sure strike is a fine playable in either w/r or u/r.
P1P11: You're not in green so why are you taking a green card? Even if you don't want to play wall of runes you should take it for signaling purposes.
P2P4: Crash Through is pretty tempting here.
P2P5: You probably wont find enough flyers to make Lofty Denial good but come on man take the playable card in your colors.
P2P6: See the last comment. Hell even short sword has some upside as a prowess trigger and making immolator do more damage.
P2P8: Please just take blue or red cards. Read the Tides is a solid playable.

Feels like in your head you were biased towards r/w, your r/u stuff looked fine but you abruptly switched to white in the middle of the second pack. I think it's ok to have biases but you could have saved yourself from wasting some picks in pack 2 by accepting your bias and committing to the thing you wanted to be doing.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Have I completely lost my mind, or did they change the voice actor for Big Teferi and re-do all his lines?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Funkdreamer posted:

Have I completely lost my mind, or did they change the voice actor for Big Teferi and re-do all his lines?

They for sure did and he sounds like way more of a nerd now

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

little munchkin posted:

P1P2: I'm super down on Enthralling Hold. 5 mana to steal a tapped creature means you took some damage last turn and you're probably going to take some more damage after you cast it. Would prefer Conclave Mentor or Llanowar Visionary.

I think enthralling hold is still a good card. Anecdotally, I used it to great effect in a ub deck to win two games, by stealing an indulgent patrician the first time, and a Vito the second time.

I think that there are definitely board states that prevent you from doing anything with the card, but you can engineer situations where the card is an absolute blowout.

It's not a good card if you are super behind, but it is good if you are marginally behind, at parity, and ahead. That is the definition of a good card.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Funkdreamer posted:

Respect her hustle

I sure do. I think her VA is from ffxiv too.

wizzardstaff posted:

I did that! I'm not sure if I want to actually spend money yet but I'm enjoying playing "normal" MTG as opposed to piloting my brother's ridiculous commander decks. (I love his command decks. Red/white/black is hilariously good at field wiping)

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Agreed with everything, there was a very strong UR spells deck up for grabs here. It's kinda crazy how open red was, so we didn't really get punished for waffling on the second colour. P1P7 and P3P8 Shock, lol? I'm also pretty low on Enthralling Hold for the same reasons I don't like the 5 CMC removal spells in this aggro meta.

Speaking of aggro, these were my last two drafts. They're a good example of how aggressive I want to be in this format.

BO1
Draft
Deck

In P2P2 I raredraft and P2P3 pick a 1-drop over Swift Response, a card which I do not want to be playing in an aggressive white deck. Wildwood Scourges smoothed out the curve nicely and I was fine with playing them as 2 mana 1/1s because of all the +1/+1 token generators I had. Went 7-2 here, boards just went out of control if opponents had no early interaction.

BO3
Draft
Deck

P1P3 is interesting. Dino or Vito were probably correct but I'm very low on black this set. I don't usually force colours or archetypes but ended up going with Acolyte due to biases. Burn Bright was offered a few times but my brain glosses over it for some reason. They would have been playable in this deck but I think Destructive Tampering is the better finisher. P3P3 I should have picked the sideboard card over the raredraft but forgot I was in BO3. P3P4 should have been Swooper. This deck finished all 6 games in 20 minutes, was kinda silly.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

StrixNebulosa posted:

I did that! I'm not sure if I want to actually spend money yet but I'm enjoying playing "normal" MTG as opposed to piloting my brother's ridiculous commander decks. (I love his command decks. Red/white/black is hilariously good at field wiping)

MTGA in general is pretty fair with what they offer to F2P players in terms of value - you won't be able to craft every tier 1 deck, but if you play every few days to max out your gold, and work on getting all your weekly wins to get your XP towards the free path on the mastery track, you'll build up enough WCs within a month or two to craft at least one. Limited in general is a better value towards building up complete sets if you can win reasonably consistently and you enjoy that format.

But yeah, welcome to MTGA!

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I'm returning to this and haven't played since pre-WAR. I've got about 35k gold and a whole mess of wildcards, I guess from most of my stuff cycling out of standard? What packs should I be buying assuming I only care about kitchen-table-magic level casual bo1 constructed?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nonexistence posted:

I'm returning to this and haven't played since pre-WAR. I've got about 35k gold and a whole mess of wildcards, I guess from most of my stuff cycling out of standard? What packs should I be buying assuming I only care about kitchen-table-magic level casual bo1 constructed?

Anything from ELD onward is pretty safe (Guilds through M20 rotates out in three months), but exactly what you should be doing depends on what you enjoy playing, you're far better off crafting the cards you want rather than cracking packs in the hope of finding them.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Had my first 0/3 in draft in a long time, I'm really not sure what I'm missing but drat M21 isn't speaking to me like other sets have.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shooting Blanks posted:

MTGA in general is pretty fair with what they offer to F2P players in terms of value - you won't be able to craft every tier 1 deck, but if you play every few days to max out your gold, and work on getting all your weekly wins to get your XP towards the free path on the mastery track, you'll build up enough WCs within a month or two to craft at least one.

when you write it out like this is just sounds miserable haha

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ditto except I managed maybe 3 0-3s (and no 7-Xs) during my spend-all-my-gems spree.

I will say that the format is much more aggressive than I'm used to. Very frequently I was dead on turn 5 despite having played some stuff.

The one deck I went 6-3 in had like four Wall of Runeses (and some decent stuff to aggressively scry for).

E: ^ I'm actually swimming in wildcards 'cause it turns out I like playing limited and jamming jank in rank.

Honestly I think I'm probably best at sealed but that one's super-depressing when you get a pool that's objectively worse than your opponents'.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, both Ikoria and Theros could be pretty durdly and slow, whereas this format does seem to reward fast aggro or fast-build big things, and delaying is pretty difficult.

It's also a much less bomby-feeling format, with relatively few outright unbeatable bombs, which in turn rewards efficient aggro and mid-range play. Perhaps it's also a little light on control?

My winrate so far is only around 44% with only two runs going over 2 wins, and multiple 0/3s, so I definitely don't have the hang of it yet.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Too many strong cards (scooze, Teferi, Narset) still wreck Finale, so I'm looking at Naya Feather again instead. Could use feedback, esp. between the three non-Feather three-drops. Suspect Lurrus is just better than the other two.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

In honor of Canada Day, what's everyone's favorite Red/White card (NO OTHER COLOURS!!! especially not blue) in MTG history? Mine is either Boros Charm or Lightning Helix.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Boros Reckoner

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Not even close!!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

fadam posted:

In honor of Canada Day, what's everyone's favorite Red/White card (NO OTHER COLOURS!!! especially not blue) in MTG history? Mine is either Boros Charm or Lightning Helix.

Cryptic command.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

fadam posted:

Sunforger. It counts to me.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

little munchkin posted:

P1P7: Feel like shock is a lot better here since you already have two red cards.
P1P8: When you already have a bunch of two drops, and you're not in a deck that makes sacrifice fodder, there's not a lot of value in the hobblefiend. Goblin Wizardry is good if you want to get into r/u and Sure strike is a fine playable in either w/r or u/r.
P1P11: You're not in green so why are you taking a green card? Even if you don't want to play wall of runes you should take it for signaling purposes.
P2P4: Crash Through is pretty tempting here.
P2P5: You probably wont find enough flyers to make Lofty Denial good but come on man take the playable card in your colors.
P2P6: See the last comment. Hell even short sword has some upside as a prowess trigger and making immolator do more damage.
P2P8: Please just take blue or red cards. Read the Tides is a solid playable.

Feels like in your head you were biased towards r/w, your r/u stuff looked fine but you abruptly switched to white in the middle of the second pack. I think it's ok to have biases but you could have saved yourself from wasting some picks in pack 2 by accepting your bias and committing to the thing you wanted to be doing.

wei posted:

Agreed with everything, there was a very strong UR spells deck up for grabs here. It's kinda crazy how open red was, so we didn't really get punished for waffling on the second colour. P1P7 and P3P8 Shock, lol? I'm also pretty low on Enthralling Hold for the same reasons I don't like the 5 CMC removal spells in this aggro meta.

I was less confident than I probably should have been because I thought my UR line wasn't very good after pack 1. I was really hoping to see some of the key blue uncommons like riddle form, jeskai elder, dowser, tutelage. Instead I just saw a lot of red, or red in the same pack as blue, and I figured it was easier to flex into R splash something in case UR didn't work out. Seeing a Pack 1 pick 14 turn to slag was also a big "hmm" moment for me because, sure it's a 5 Mana removal spell in an aggressive format, but was a five Mana removal spell really the absolute worst thing in the pack besides return to nature? Looking back at the pick, someone picked a loving tormod's crypt over this thing. Maybe it's a bad read but I don't think even the worst red spell should ever be near last picked in this format. I didn't see what I wanted to see in pack 2 so I started looking for an out and settled on RW after the pick 9 feat of resistance.

In retrospect it probably would have been more correct to commit to UR spells. With potentially 3 singers the lofty denials wouldn't have been too bad. Plus I would have gotten a Barrin and a dowser. I didn't know I was going to open those in pack 3, and by mid pack 2 I didn't want to gamble on opening good stuff in the last pack, but RW was just so easy to slide into after the feats and solidarity and battlements.

quote:

I haven't really considered this. It's something important to keep in mind. thank you for bringing it up.

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 1, 2020

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Flame-Kin Zealot and then Assemble the Legion as a close second.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

If all else fails, just throw your creatures at the opponent

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fadam posted:

the first game of magic I ever played was a commander deck with feather, the redeemed, so I'm going with her

speaking of which,

Corbeau posted:

Too many strong cards (scooze, Teferi, Narset) still wreck Finale, so I'm looking at Naya Feather again instead. Could use feedback, esp. between the three non-Feather three-drops. Suspect Lurrus is just better than the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

fadam posted:

Eron the Relentless.