Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

If you want to put 30 persistent petitioners into your deck, you only need to craft 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

VictualSquid posted:

If you want to put 30 persistent petitioners into your deck, you only need to craft 4.

Gotcha. Yes, it's the same with the rats as well.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Lightning Spells is so bad. It's filled with spell payoffs and ~4 actual instants or sorceries in the whole 40. Wowzers.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 31, 2020

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The lightning deck is good and fun and the spells deck is straight garbage. Anything that asks for synergy in jumpstart is bad.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Milling Rogues got me my 2 dupe rares in the fnm event very quickly. Went against Dr +1's both times so that deck might be good as well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Gotcha. Yes, it's the same with the rats as well.

And Seven Dwarves is a 7 for 4. They're good in pauper.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Doctor +1s got me one fast, and then lost the next three, whatever the Golgari one is got me another. It's a fun format I'll keep playing til I've got enough to d my next draft,

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Doctor +1s got me one fast, and then lost the next three, whatever the Golgari one is got me another. It's a fun format I'll keep playing til I've got enough to d my next draft,

Goblin Minions can be good too.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I wish there was a real combo deck in historic outside of the kethis/breach ones. Rec kind of is but it almost always plays out like a control matchup with a fast finish.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I can't wait for some of this ramp to rotate out of Standard.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
More than anything else, Standard without Teferi, Time Raveler is gonna feel like a completely new game

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Time posted:

I wish there was a real combo deck in historic outside of the kethis/breach ones. Rec kind of is but it almost always plays out like a control matchup with a fast finish.

There is goddamnit, I'm the only person on the planet who plays it too.

Turn 1: Try to mulligan into Famished Paladin, or if you're feeling lucky you can try to cycle into it. If you have a spare Flourishing Fox play that to bait out removal.

Turn 2: Famished Paladin, or if the opponent has removal, hold up a turn to keep mana for Gods Willing

Turn 3: Do nothing, end of opponent's turn cycle Splendor Mare to give lifelink counter

Turn 4: Mutate Porcuparrot onto Famished Paladin for 3 mana, deal infinite damage to opponent

I don't know if it's as consistent as Goblins but I've absolutely outraced goblins, I've outraced everything, I've mulliganed to loving two and still won on turn 4.

edit: requires no rares or mythic; you can substitute Squire's Devotion for Shadowspear and use whatever land you think you can get away with as you only need a single R for the Parrot.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 31, 2020

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Time posted:

Well let me introduce you to these two bad boys

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is no way in hell or earth that your deck is “as consistent as goblins”

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

There is no way in hell or earth that your deck is “as consistent as goblins”

I just tried right now, sample size of 1 game but:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Everything works when no one stops you...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Everything works when no one stops you...

Anyway I said I "didn't know" if it was as consistent, not that it was. Guy was asking for a "real combo" deck and this one is as real as it gets. Including usually folding to control.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

More than anything else, Standard without Teferi, Time Raveler is gonna feel like a completely new game

Tef4ri feels kinda balanced because a lot of the time I see people phase out my best creature only to need to wrath their next turn and miss killing it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Bust Rodd posted:

After having played against new Teferi I'm already for that one to go. Being able to play abilities on opponents turn sucks

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zero VGS posted:

Tef4ri feels kinda balanced because a lot of the time I see people phase out my best creature only to need to wrath their next turn and miss killing it.

T3f would be balanced if people played it badly, too

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

SalTheBard posted:

After having played against new Teferi I'm already for that one to go. Being able to play abilities on opponents turn sucks

Yeah but I can just remove it on their turn and untap, which you literally could not do to the old Teferi.

Maybe it’s just me, but “you can only play at sorcery speed” is the worst poo poo to ever happen to this game, imo, and probably the 3rd biggest mistake they’ve made after Oko/Uro.

Sluitstripje
Feb 7, 2008

What are the good blogs these days? I fell of Magic for a bit but have been playing some more MTGA lately and want to read up more. I used to go to SCG and CFB for my articles but most if not all of it is paywalled now. I've found MTGAzone pretty ok but not amazing so I was wondering if you guys know of any good sites.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is a bad answer but I just wait a week and read all the paywalled stuff on SCG the week after it comes out.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Time posted:

I got combo-ed out by Vito and some enchantment that gained them life when I lost life. Obviously fragile but I had no interaction in hand.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Were the special art Core 21 lands a limited time thing? I looked around the shop but didn't see an option to buy them anywhere.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Zero VGS posted:

There is goddamnit, I'm the only person on the planet who plays it too.

Turn 1: Try to mulligan into Famished Paladin, or if you're feeling lucky you can try to cycle into it. If you have a spare Flourishing Fox play that to bait out removal.

Turn 2: Famished Paladin, or if the opponent has removal, hold up a turn to keep mana for Gods Willing

Turn 3: Do nothing, end of opponent's turn cycle Splendor Mare to give lifelink counter

Turn 4: Mutate Porcuparrot onto Famished Paladin for 3 mana, deal infinite damage to opponent

I don't know if it's as consistent as Goblins but I've absolutely outraced goblins, I've outraced everything, I've mulliganed to loving two and still won on turn 4.

edit: requires no rares or mythic; you can substitute Squire's Devotion for Shadowspear and use whatever land you think you can get away with as you only need a single R for the Parrot.

sorry i meant good deck

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the season ends today right? I was 2 away from diamond and tumbled back to plat 2 :negative:

maybe mythic next month. that CGB bolas deck was doing some work but is only gonna be around for another month

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Time posted:

sorry i meant good deck

Anax Embercleave is a "good" "combo" but you'll never be as honest and ethical as me.

ex post facho posted:

the season ends today right? I was 2 away from diamond and tumbled back to plat 2 :negative:

Does it end today? Christ, I've gotten Mythic the last 4 seasons with mono-R one drops but Uro and friends are just too pushed right now.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 31, 2020

Sluitstripje
Feb 7, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

This is a bad answer but I just wait a week and read all the paywalled stuff on SCG the week after it comes out.

Nah that's actually a pretty good answer, never knew the wall got removed after a week. Thanks!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Zero VGS posted:

Anax Embercleave is a "good" "combo" but you'll never be as honest and ethical as me.

Every time a player says “combo” when they mean “synergy” Yawgmoth compleats a kitten

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ex post facho posted:

maybe mythic next month. that CGB bolas deck was doing some work but is only gonna be around for another month

Does it? poo poo I really should be paying attention to that given I did a draft today at plat 3 I could have done at silver.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Every time a player says “combo” when they mean “synergy” Yawgmoth compleats a kitten

That's why I put "combo" in scare quotes. It's not technically a combo but more often than not Anax + Embercleave ends the game on the spot. It might as well be an infinite damage combo.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

Were the special art Core 21 lands a limited time thing? I looked around the shop but didn't see an option to buy them anywhere.

The stylized planeswalker themed lands? They're in jumpstart. I'm unsure if they'll be available in the store later.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
So I managed to hit Mythic in limited yesterday getting it in just under the wire, and entered in to my surprise at like #930, and as of right now 8 or 10 hours later I'm at #1030 so I assume I'm good for top 1200. Wizards doesn't have information on what this qualifies anywhere I could easily find, so I don't even know if I'm supposed to pretend to learn a Standard deck, or pretend to learn a Historic deck by blowing 20 wildcards in a vain attempt to get 4 wins and almost enough gems for a single draft.

Have they even announced anything yet?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Marketing New Brain posted:

So I managed to hit Mythic in limited yesterday getting it in just under the wire, and entered in to my surprise at like #930, and as of right now 8 or 10 hours later I'm at #1030 so I assume I'm good for top 1200. Wizards doesn't have information on what this qualifies anywhere I could easily find, so I don't even know if I'm supposed to pretend to learn a Standard deck, or pretend to learn a Historic deck by blowing 20 wildcards in a vain attempt to get 4 wins and almost enough gems for a single draft.

Have they even announced anything yet?

They have but WotC refuses to update their events calendar with hard dates.

https://magic.gg/news/announcing-the-2020-2021-magic-esports-season

You can play in the September Zendikar Rising Qualifier Weekend. This will take place after rotation so no need to begin prep on any standard decks yet.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

If you're looking for a timeline, after the April season ended, I got an email on May 5th giving me the details about the tournament, then another email on the 14th saying some of the original email's info was wrong

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Time posted:

sorry i meant good deck

Also Famished Paladin with Presence of Gond on it with a Soul Warden which is infinite 1/1s and life. It’s super good I swear :madmax:

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

They have but WotC refuses to update their events calendar with hard dates.

https://magic.gg/news/announcing-the-2020-2021-magic-esports-season

You can play in the September Zendikar Rising Qualifier Weekend. This will take place after rotation so no need to begin prep on any standard decks yet.

Actually getting to play in essentially a wild west standard environment right after release is about as good as it could get for me since I'm sure they have no plans to do a limited qualifier for the people who actually qualify through limited, at least not until 2030.

I also just checked and I'm at an impressive Bronze 2 for this season in constructed. Gotta get them free packs and gold.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
7-1 in my first DOM draft, finally a good format is back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Here's a really cool Golgari deck for Historic and an article from the brewmaster themself. The general idea is "What's the coolest thing you can do with 4 mana on T2?"

https://themythicstore.com/blogs/deck-guides/golgari-umori-for-the-historic-arena-open

Companion
1 Umori, the Collector

Deck
4 Overgrown Tomb
3 Swamp
4 Woodland Cemetery
6 Forest
4 Gilded Goose
4 Llanowar Elves
3 Phyrexian Tower
4 Spawn of Mayhem
4 Rotting Regisaur