Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Banned and restricted update is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

What I would love more than anything is an explanation. Why now and not two weeks ago, when everyone was begging for these bans?

Or a month ago, when everyone was begging for these bans?

Or 6 months ago, when everyone was begging for these bans?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Holy cow. They actually did it. Love that cauldron familiar was included, actually the most impactful ban long-term as it wasnt rotating.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Uh, please correct me if I’m wrong, but have they ever banned four different combo decks out of a format at once before? The standard bans are good but Pioneer has been completely flipped on its head! You could almost say... inverted!

I just can’t think of a more dramatic shake-up to a format all at once. Heliod, Breach, Kethis, and Inverter all gone means Pioneer is basically brand new all over again.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fantastic changes imo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Wahey back to the ladder. It's a whole new world.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I guess the bans won't take effect on Arena til thursday?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Holy poo poo, that's huge. It does feel weird to ban some of those cards so late though.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Bust Rodd posted:

You could almost say... inverted!
Too soon

I assume this was a scheduled B&R, just because of the huge breadth of the bans? Anyway, kinda sad that Teferi couldn't make it to his rotation retirement. So close!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
im so glad cat is gone, god drat

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Mostly welcome changes, although mostly still resentful over the dithering over Reclaimation and Inverter.

Was Ballista/Heliod actually doing much whilst Pioneer was still seeing play? In my deck it was more something that might come together beside the core strategy. Or did Selesnya counters take off?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“We regret to inform that after the ban, T3feri was killed on the way back to his home plane.”

BizarroAzrael posted:

Mostly welcome changes, although mostly still resentful over the dithering over Reclaimation and Inverter.

Was Ballista/Heliod actually doing much whilst Pioneer was still seeing play? In my deck it was more something that might come together beside the core strategy. Or did Selesnya counters take off?

I think if you ban 3 out of 4 infinite combo decks you’re just sort of serving up the format to the 4th one, they all had to go.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Same reason why they hit Kethis, probably.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's interesting that the announcement flat out says digital play is the reason they felt there was urgency to do this before rotation, and Arena was mentioned again specifically in the context of cat oven too. This is definitely going to fuel the 'Arena is killing paper' conspiracy theorists.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Wow loving hell I can't believe they banned Cauldron Familiar. Also what are these loving bans on T3feri, Rec and Spiral like a month before they rotate? The only one I disagree with is Cauldron Familiar. Is it annoying? Yes. But there are ways of dealing with it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Kinda lol that the Pioneer reasoning is "we literally didn't look at how many people had dropped the format entirely because of how lovely it was when we did the last B&R update"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Wow loving hell I can't believe they banned Cauldron Familiar. Also what are these loving bans on T3feri, Rec and Spiral like a month before they rotate?

"Under our usual approach, we would have allowed Standard rotation to provide a natural and predictable shift in the metagame with the release of Zendikar Rising. But in an era of social distancing, the proportion of Standard play occurring on digital platforms has increased substantially. As the rate at which players can rack up games of Standard in digital is higher than in tabletop, we believe it's correct to enact metagame change at a faster rate as well."

Arena isn't killing paper, but if I were a paper player I do think I'd be paranoid about B&R announcements turning into a regular thing like patch notes for a video game.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Covid claims Teferi as its latest victim

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Patch coming in 15 minutes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Interesting that they banned Teferi in Brawl immediately, when Fires of Invention and Agent of Treachery we’re both allowed to stay Brawl legal. Probably have a lot of data of people just immediately “nope”ing out of those games as soon as you can see their Brawler.

“Further, the number of triggers generated by these decks can be cumbersome for both players in digital play. To weaken these sacrifice strategies, open up more metagame diversity, and create a more fun gameplay environment, Cauldron Familiar is banned.”

It was impossibly stupid that activating the cat didn’t just consume the last food you generated, the only reason not to do it that was back when Oko was in the format. That additional click when you only had 1 good available probably wasted a collective 10,000 years of human life lmao

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 3, 2020

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
So how many bans is this now since last rotation? I feel like the past year has been giving Combo Winter a run for its money just in sheer volume.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I love playing reclamation, teferi control and catoven.
And the only ban I am really sad about is catoven. They should have just worked to make arena's interface better so it becomes less annoying.

Oh god, amazonian is trying to force a deck with all the banned cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bust Rodd posted:

Interesting that they banned Teferi in Brawl immediately, when Fires of Invention and Agent of Treachery we’re both allowed to stay Brawl legal. Probably have a lot of data of people just immediately “nope”ing out of those games as soon as you can see their Brawler.

Problematic cards are less problematic (statistically) when you only draw them in a tiny number of games. You also can't really build around reliably having them, which is when Fires gets especially problematic.

Agent should probably still have gone given that you were frequently finding and cheating it out from your library though.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

VictualSquid posted:

Oh god, amazonian is trying to force a deck with all the banned cards.
I should slide this deck into an Event queue and wait a few weeks to play it

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Bust Rodd posted:

“Further, the number of triggers generated by these decks can be cumbersome for both players in digital play. To weaken these sacrifice strategies, open up more metagame diversity, and create a more fun gameplay environment, Cauldron Familiar is banned.”

It was impossibly stupid that activating the cat didn’t just consume the last food you generated, the only reason not to do it that was back when Oko was in the format. That additional click when you only had 1 good available probably wasted a collective 10,000 years of human life lmao

They could have fixed if they cared. They added the tap all lands button to make nexus faster to play.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Time posted:

they should ban wilderness rec in plat and diamond because bad players dont deserve to get to hold priority for 15 minutes before they make a mistake. same with the cat oven decks

Time you got your wish!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's still hilarious to me that companions were ever released as broken as they were. IMO that was still the biggest fuckup of a year full of fuckups just because of how obvious it was.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Simic Flash sounds like a good first deck to play after the patch goes live

Happy that Wizards banned every card that sucks rear end

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Yoked posted:

Time you got your wish!

im sorry all for waiting to use my wish. next time i'll be more prompt

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
How loving long was Teferi legal for? Is that a record for time before "ok fine this is a problematic card".

Also lol that playtester standard had companions, Oko, wilderness, teferi, nexus of fate, and field of the dead all legal at the same time and "this is fine"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm just baffled why they didn't ban Rec in particular at the same time as Fires. it seems transparently obvious that they're both broadly equally problematic given that they're both 4CMC enchantments that double your mana the turn they're played and every turn after, and severely limit your deckbuilding, albeit in different ways.

Cat being banned for gameplay rather than balance reasons is good. It's a shame it had to be, if oven in particular was sorcery speed it would probably not be an issue at all, if the cat-return was sorcery speed it would be fine both balance wise and annoyance wise.

What do people expect for archetypes in this brave new world?

I'm assuming aggro decks just come storming back since teferi in particular was a huge throttle on them.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So how many bans is this now since last rotation? I feel like the past year has been giving Combo Winter a run for its money just in sheer volume.

It's been a lot, just in Standard we've had:

November 2019 - Oko, Once upon a Time and Veil of Summer
June 2020 - Agent of Treachery and Fires
August - Cauldron Familiar, Growth Spiral, T3feri and Rec

For all formats:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lid posted:

Also lol that playtester standard had companions, Oko, wilderness, teferi, nexus of fate, and field of the dead all legal at the same time and "this is fine"

One of the arguments of the 'Arena isn't killing paper, but it is having a negative impact' moderate crowd is that they feel more free to print stupid poo poo now that they can just patch it out of the format the vast majority of games are played in, even though it's obviously a bigger deal in paper.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Have they ever put out a retrospective article on designing WotS where they cop to the Prison walkers being gigantic mistakes that ruined every format?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I forgot Once upon a Time too.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lid posted:

I forgot Once upon a Time too.

I did too until I played against it in Brawl last night and I was like "Goddamn isn't this card banned???"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Im going to miss cat oven as that was the first time i got to play with sacrifice mechanics in standard and i loved it but i can see why its gone. Now to see if Korvold can be made viable again.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Booo no wild cards :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Woo baby, time to find out if Disdainful Stroke is a playable Magical card again!