Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

TheMaestroso posted:

TBF, I wouldn't try to do that against a deck like Cavalcade or Rakdos, that seems like a bad idea. Stomp (Bonecrusher Giant) would be a good substitution against those low-to-the-ground aggro decks.

Stomp is a solid wincon for a multi-Clover Adventure deck. That's what it was when I went against it.

pointsofdata posted:

I think the mono black cat deck is fun because while it is creature based, you're not really that into attacking or real blocking so it feels like you're playing on a different axis to your opponent.

It's basically creature-based control, you want to keep them from disrupting your catfood party too badly but you have little trouble letting them kill your creatures.

Now I want to see if I can make a Yarok Aristocats deck work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Let me respond to this by asking “what do you think the manabase for this even looks like right now?”

ICYMI, Bryan Gottlieb aced Fandom legends with Esper Dance and posted a d3ck t3c=k this morning with the decklist updates he made after the fact. He's not sold on it being the "best deck in standard" but it's very strong in this current "everyone is trying to do stuff with creatures" meta because Doom Foretold and Kaya's Wrath, Tef3ri, and Oath of Kaya is a super strong core, and the Dance + Eggs synergy gives the deck constant gas, perfect mana, and seriously disgusting win condition.

I wasn't 100% sold on Dance until the first time you actually put 5 eggs, 2 Dooms, and an Oath back into play and draw a new hand, it's truly gross.

I love Esper Dance, its really powerful after turn 4 and has good synergies. It's probably the only deck that can reliably play wishclaw talisman, too, and that's pretty huge. Tutoring planar cleansing and then bringing back the claw with dance won me a game that I was so behind in.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

So who else is running maindeck artifact and enchantment hate?

I'm a crazy person running 4 spyglasses in most of my Bo1 decks. There's a good chance I'll want to turn something off in almost any deck I face.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
I got smashed by a gruul Phoenix deck and I just threw one together, got to live the dream of T2 Phoenix

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Squinky v2.0 posted:

I got smashed by a gruul Phoenix deck and I just threw one together, got to live the dream of T2 Phoenix

Arclight Phoenix? Gruul Arclight Phoenix? What the hell? List?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I’m betting it uses once upon a time to get a free spell, then two single cmc things to go to town. That’s a cool concept

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Went 1-4 in my last session with Kiora Henge, I guess my window to thrive was a scant 36 hours.

Seeing it from the other side, Wicked Wolf seems incredibly powerful with goose / Oko backup. It wouldn't proc Kiora's passive but it still might be worth it, maybe over Nullhide Ferox.

Also Feasting Troll King isn't a legendary, whoa

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Sex Weirdo posted:

Here's a monogreen that I made that does pretty well, but I would like some suggestions for improvements. I only started playing Magic like a month ago.

If I can get out Yorvo, Nissa, and/or Henge it's usually game over

For a beginner deck this is pretty good tbh. I would drop the Return to Nature, the Might of the Masses and the Mammoth. Those are the weakest cards in the deck. Everything else is either good by itself (most of the rares) or at least synergizes with your best cards (the wolves go well together, evolution sage goes well with counters, etc). As for what to add, that depends on your collection tbh. You could add more food stuff to go with the troll (the new land that makes a food token is an easy insert into a monogreen deck). You could play token-making cards and put might of the masses back in. Bond of Flourishing is uncommon and helps you find your big bombs. Thrashing Brontodon is uncommon and disrupts people reliant on artifact/enchantments strategies. Lots of ways you could go.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I love Esper Dance, its really powerful after turn 4 and has good synergies. It's probably the only deck that can reliably play wishclaw talisman, too, and that's pretty huge. Tutoring planar cleansing and then bringing back the claw with dance won me a game that I was so behind in.

I love the decision space in the deck. And the mirror matches are fantastic.

I'll be crafting it next time I need to play something worthwhile.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

AngryBooch posted:

Arclight Phoenix? Gruul Arclight Phoenix? What the hell? List?

Very much a rough draft, slapped this together with the first cards that came to mind after getting beat up by it.
dunno that itll ever be that good because the card draw options are so limited in gruul, but it absolutely can pop off

4 Merchant of the Vale (ELD) 131
9 Forest (ELD) 269
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
9 Mountain (ELD) 265
4 Rosethorn Acolyte (ELD) 174
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 Thrill of Possibility (ELD) 146
4 Arclight Phoenix (GRN) 91
4 Shock (M20) 160
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
3 Lucky Clover (ELD) 226
3 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115

The inkeeper and lucky clover are better engines than you'd think, but the deck loses when it fizzles on card draw.
Sometimes you just win on the back of the 5/5 beasts and 4/3 giants without ever getting a phoenix into play, especially if you are doubling up their adventures.

Time posted:

I’m betting it uses once upon a time to get a free spell, then two single cmc things to go to town. That’s a cool concept

Yeah, thats how it gets there on T2 - once upon a time -> rosethorn acolyte -> haggle
You could theoretically get double T2 phoenix with the nut draw.

The interaction that is awesome but not obvious is lucky clover into the Rosethorn Acolyte adventure Seasonal Ritual - turns G into 2 mana of any color and can help accelerate starting on T3

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 29, 2019

Amumin
Dec 21, 2018

My try into whole Aristocats thing.

Probably needs tuning but works well enough against anything not Oko.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Used to be whatever deck you changed last would move to number one but now there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to deck order

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh man I forgot the other deck I need to update, the Jamiyo Narshiok Mill/Self-Mill deck. Folio of Fancies seems like it could be brutal with Narset

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Used to be whatever deck you changed last would move to number one but now there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to deck order

Decks are sorted by format first, then the last time you edited them. Check what the format on the deck is.

Note that if you import a deck with a sideboard, it defaults to "Traditional Standard".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IMJack posted:

Decks are sorted by format first, then the last time you edited them. Check what the format on the deck is.

Note that if you import a deck with a sideboard, it defaults to "Traditional Standard".

Oooh ok, thanks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I really wish they would add folders to the deck list or even some way to view them besides "giant box icons"

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

For a beginner deck this is pretty good tbh. I would drop the Return to Nature, the Might of the Masses and the Mammoth. Those are the weakest cards in the deck. Everything else is either good by itself (most of the rares) or at least synergizes with your best cards (the wolves go well together, evolution sage goes well with counters, etc). As for what to add, that depends on your collection tbh. You could add more food stuff to go with the troll (the new land that makes a food token is an easy insert into a monogreen deck). You could play token-making cards and put might of the masses back in. Bond of Flourishing is uncommon and helps you find your big bombs. Thrashing Brontodon is uncommon and disrupts people reliant on artifact/enchantments strategies. Lots of ways you could go.

Thanks for the advice! I took out Return to Nature, Aggressive Mammoth and 1x Might of the Masses and added another Nightpack Ambusher, Questing Beast and Evolution Sage. Feels pretty good so far!

I'm thinking about swapping out 4-6 lands with black/green duals and adding in 1 or 2 Garruk Cursed Huntsman (removing the other Might of the Masses and maybe a Kraul Harpooner). Bad idea? It would be a good way to slam out more wolves and the removal is good too.

edit: What the hell, I went ahead and did it. Here's the new deck

drat I love Green Aggro

Sex Weirdo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 29, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Some Numbers posted:

I got a network error as my opponent conceded and the game turned in to a draw.

I'm a little salty.

I’ve been on the other side of that a few times and I’m pretty sure it just says draw and you still get the win/loss

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
currently playing around with a Jeskai Clover deck I've put together and I've gone straight 9-0 with it so far.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Oko, Fabled Passage, Questing Beasts are all easy crafts, right?

I have 25 rares and ~15 mythics and I'm wondering if I just go all in on Simic/Bant food this cycle. I could technically go Rakdos B/R knights too but just hasn't felt as good.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Electrodominance read like such a powerful card when it was spoiled but I almost never see it

It sees play in Modern where you combine it with the suspend spells from Time Spiral that don't have a mana cost in order to play stuff like Living End from hand.

It's one of those cards where no-one is using it to do fair things.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ex post facho posted:

Oko, Fabled Passage, Questing Beasts are all easy crafts, right?
I wouldn't x4 Fabled Passage until you have a deck you actually find direly needs the fourth one. I haven't tried field builds with it yet though.

Questing Beast has been kind of middling for me but Golgari Midrange might be worse than Gruul at utilizing them. Granted I've seen like 2 planeswalkers in the play queue in days.

This format has SO MANY "almost" cards I'm worried about crafting til the meta is more set up.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
3x Oko and 3x Fabled and 3x Once Upon A Time are all easy crafts

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

RB aggro is good but holy poo poo being on the draw sucks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gilded Goose is a slam dunk craft

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

On that note Gilded Goose is definitely a far honk from Elvish Mystic / Birds of Paradise in constructed but holy poo poo is it ever amazing in limited.

How are people liking Robber of the Rich? I've seen it once. It exiled an egg from the top of my library while playing dancer. Opponent did not win that game.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

How are people liking Robber of the Rich? I've seen it once. It exiled an egg from the top of my library while playing dancer. Opponent did not win that game.

I swear to god I hit land >50% of the time. Confirmation bias/bad luck aside, it seems okay but not amazing, and I think it's a big part of my play/draw winrate disparity. On the draw it's a lot harder to get it to fire. Probably better in BO3 where you can board it out on the draw. It makes for a great removal magnet before Rotting Reggie comes down though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

I swear to god I hit land >50% of the time. Confirmation bias/bad luck aside, it seems okay but not amazing, and I think it's a big part of my play/draw winrate disparity. On the draw it's a lot harder to get it to fire. Probably better in BO3 where you can board it out on the draw. It makes for a great removal magnet before Rotting Reggie comes down though

It's got insane gravity thought, MtG players hate "feel bad" and nothing feels worse than a card that exiles your poo poo and gives it to your opponent.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

That's why you don't tap out when I got a big hand, idiot!!!

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

Well, Gottlieb won today's Fandom with Bant Field so get ready to see that everywhere. I tested against it for quite a while today and didn't find anything that consistently beat it game 1, although I'm sure the decks exist.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spiderdrake posted:

It's no thief of sanity but it can be pretty good in aggro decks where you're dumping your hand into low cost stuff so it goes off a lot. On the first day I made one of the rakdos aggro decks with it and while it sometimes just dies, it can be a good threat. It also helps that it doesn't have to do damage to let you cast cards it exiled on previous turns. If there's something useful sitting there it can be worth a suicidal attack with it just to be able to play whatever it is. I think overall it's pretty well balanced because it's situational.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Why is everybody ragequitting or dcing or whatever. Everyone's playing so slow I can't even tell if they DC

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A Moose posted:

Why is everybody ragequitting or dcing or whatever. Everyone's playing so slow I can't even tell if they DC

At first I figured that people were reading the new cards. Now I'm pretty sure everyone is a huge rear end in a top hat who wants to waste my time to the point where they rope on their mulligan.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I've seen the "how was your match?" prompt twice now and both times it was too late because i already clicked through the win/loss screen before i even saw it

beedub
Jul 21, 2003

I wanted to try the latest hotness bant ramp but I've never played a field of the dead deck before. With so many lands, and not a lot else, what cards do you board out for games 2 and 3 typically?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think Kiora's line "My friend is kind of a big deal" is my favorite voice line in this game

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone have a link to a cat deck? I want to play it a couple of times with my Play Any Deck games.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
After hetting into Magic via mostly youtube videos on commander having a sacrifice outlet, even if requiring tapping, in the cat oven deck is like an eye opening event. More sacrifice outlets please i love putting my cats in front of lifelinkers and then saccing them before damage so they get no life.

Cavalier of Night and Dreadhorde Invasion are ridiculous too. Using Cavalier to sac a token or a Yarok and then when it dies bringing Yarok back is some vicious recursion and then using witches huts to put it back on top. I fully expect graveyard hate to come in soon woth more people running Ashiok. Or hell run Ashiok yourself as its a threat to your opponents.

Lid fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 30, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I know regressing to the mean is a thing but woof, today was a rough 15 wins

I was hoping to maybe storm into diamond before reset but oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Wacky Delly posted:

This is the first new set I've been around for, but the fluff is pretty fun so far.

the fluff is better than I've ever experienced and I'm a HUGE mirage fan