Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
There used to be landhome, where if you didn't own a land matching the color of the card in question it'd get sacrificed. New mechanic: landallergy, if you control a land (or permanent that's <color>) then the thing in question is sacrificed.

Could make gifting mechanics reaaally interesting methods of removal. That big guy's got red-allergy? Have a goblin! Kabooom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

If they didn’t catch Oko I feel like you can’t really expect anything out of them TBQH

Pretty much. There were a lot of people at the time saying it was a one off and a result of some weird development thing, and maybe that's true, but they only get so many excused fuckups before the whole process looks like poo poo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Weird match just now, Azorius deck opens with Leyline of Anticipation, then only plays instants, including a mainphase Sphinx's Revelation.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

This month is awesome, everyone is playing bad decks in historic, trying to force new cards into their decks. I ran Plat and Diamond and hit Mythic all in one day, with the solitaire Thassa Oracle deck. 1 rare, 56 lands.

Mythic is no challenge in new set months.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 22, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Funso Banjo posted:

This month is awesome, everyone is playing bad decks in historic, trying to force new cards into their decks. I ran Plat and Diamond, in one day and hit Mythic with the solitaire Thassa Oracle deck. 1 rare, 56 lands.

Still looking for a home for Nullpriest of Oblivion, maybe Vampires or a Cleric deck. Its kind of annoying that you can't play "traditional" non-ranked, I don't want to lose ranking on experiments.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

This month is awesome, everyone is playing bad decks in historic, trying to force new cards into their decks.

The best place to farm right now is Ikoria Quick Draft; I never drafted Ikoria while it was out, but God I've had some easy runs this week (while the good drafters are all playing the new set).

The downside is my rating is inflated, so I get stomped when I do real drafts (Zendikar seems hard).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

El Spamo posted:

I don't know how feasible this kind of thing might be, probably moreso in an online format since you can have the software do enforcement. Since most of the degenerate things that happen are specific card combos (i.e. Uro/Omnath), could you ban certain card combinations instead of cards themselves? Such as, it's not legal to play Uro and Omnath in the same deck, but you could still play them separately from each other. Easy enough to do on MTGA since the deckbuilder could simply exclude the other when one is chosen.

When playing with physical cards... dunno.
this is how NetRunner handles its MWL; there was a list of cards that were all degenerate and broken, but you could only have 1 of them in your deck. So when you saw the Aesop's Pawnshop come down across from you, you knew you didn't have to worry about Tapw0rm.

It worked fine in paper; theres no benefit to trying to run 2 restricted cards because if you play both you get caught, and if you dont play both youve got a dead card that if it ever gets discarded you get DQ/No Prize

Youd just throw Uro, Omnath, Ugin and Brazen Borrower on the list and it solves everything since no deck can run any combination of the two

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Only got your opponent to 1 life by turn 4 on the play? Sorry kiddo, it's Ugin Time

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Yeah I'm well aware of all those things. Uro also can't easily jump you to 8+ mana on turn 4 or 5. Uro's also been in Standard for quite a while and none of the bullshit that deck does was possible before Omnath. Uro isn't that deck's Plan A, he's more like Plan B or C. He's a roleplayer

I personally think the best ban if they aren't going to ban Omnath himself would probably be Fabled Passage, but I don't see that happening. I suspect what it'll come down to is what kind of card they internally view Omnath as--if he's just an EDH treat that's gone haywire he's a lot more likely to get the axe(especially right now, since the set isn't out in paper yet and people aren't stuck with copies they dropped $$$ on) than if he was meant to be the centerpiece of his own deck from the jump

It appears printing an eighth mana colorless planeswalker in standard was a mistake

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

this is how NetRunner handles its MWL; there was a list of cards that were all degenerate and broken, but you could only have 1 of them in your deck. So when you saw the Aesop's Pawnshop come down across from you, you knew you didn't have to worry about Tapw0rm.

It worked fine in paper; theres no benefit to trying to run 2 restricted cards because if you play both you get caught, and if you dont play both youve got a dead card that if it ever gets discarded you get DQ/No Prize

Youd just throw Uro, Omnath, Ugin and Brazen Borrower on the list and it solves everything since no deck can run any combination of the two

If they did this they’d use it as an excuse to not give you wildcards!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Yeah and Omnath does it better. Uro is obnoxious in any honest format, but that isn't what current Standard is at present. There's a whole bunch of lists running around rn and nobody's truly sure of the optimal build but some of the well-placing ones aren't even playing a full set of Uro in favor of adding more copies of weird poo poo that either enable Omnath bullshit or convert Omnath bullshit into value better than Uro does

Omnath is easy to deal with because you can just kill it with instants or counter it. Uro on the other hand just comes back unless you run cards to specifically hate it out. Cards that weaken your game against Omnath! Uro's been a problem since he was introduced and he is way more format warping than Omnath is.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/Syntheticuh/status/1308524066689740800

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

oops! all omnath!

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Eej posted:

Omnath is easy to deal with because you can just kill it with instants or counter it. Uro on the other hand just comes back unless you run cards to specifically hate it out. Cards that weaken your game against Omnath! Uro's been a problem since he was introduced and he is way more format warping than Omnath is.

Guess we'll see if/when Uro gets the boot, then. I don't think it's going to do much of anything to contain the deck

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sedisp posted:

It appears printing an eighth mana colorless planeswalker in standard was a mistake

*looks inside bag that says DEAD META*

*finds a turn 4 ugin*

WotC: ...I don't know what I was expecting.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

no mercy for anyone who posts the same "scutes go brrrrr" screenshot with 27 tokens

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Of course it's going to be Uro. Cobra is almost as broken, and Omnath is at least as broken if not more, but there's no way in hell they'll ban cards from a set that's on the shelf.

EDIT: maybe they'll ban Ugin too, although I'm not holding my breath.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 23, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So the set officially releases in paper on Friday, and bans are (maybe) happening on Monday.

How did the timing of releases and bans work back in the Urza's days? Is this going to end up being even faster than the Jar ban?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Not gonna lie, swingin' with a 9/7 on turn 4 in draft is pretty satisfying.

T3 Relic Golem, T4 Maddening Cacophany + Mind Carver.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

So the set officially releases in paper on Friday, and bans are (maybe) happening on Monday.

How did the timing of releases and bans work back in the Urza's days? Is this going to end up being even faster than the Jar ban?

I think there was one card that they banned day 1. Clamp, maybe?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jabor posted:

Memory Jar came out on February 15, on March 1st they banned Dream Halls, Earthcraft, Fluctuator, Lotus Petal, Recurring Nightmare, and Time Spiral, and then in mid-March they announced an emergency ban of Jar.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Watching Nizzahon's banned and restricted series, it strikes me just how many cards have been banned in the short time I've been playing MTGA (which was about a year ago).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Huxley posted:

No, clamp lasted close to 6 months.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Absolutely abysmal showing in the two drafts I did today. I'll post them tomorrow maybe but right now I'm drat tired and frustrated.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SalTheBard posted:

Watching Nizzahon's banned and restricted series, it strikes me just how many cards have been banned in the short time I've been playing MTGA (which was about a year ago).

It's staggering. FIRE and Play Design have completely failed to prevent broken cards from being printed.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Broken cards are good as long as they get banned tbh

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

It's definitely wild to see so many bans in such a short period, especially when my main competitive stints in the game were during the Affinity era and the Caw-Blade era which took a very long time before they pulled the trigger

Lone Goat posted:

No, clamp lasted close to 6 months.

I'm still amazed by the Clamp just because Darksteel came out when I was when I was a dumb babby who had only made the jump from kitchen table Magic to FNM and even I immediately clocked that you could just put it on X/1s and bury your opponent in card advantage. I know the whole Suicide Sweater story but it's wild people who balanced Magic cards for a living didn't catch it

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
My rule is: if my dumb rear end can recognize how powerful and exploitable a card is, it's getting banned.

Nice knowing you, Zareth.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
man pseudo omnath deck wrecks in brawl too

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chamale posted:

It's staggering. FIRE and Play Design have completely failed to prevent broken cards from being printed.
They never fixed any of the problems that caused R&D to punt during the accelerated rotation. They're not good at adjusting to philosophy changes and I don't know their staff numbers, but the number of products they put out this year are bonkers when you compared with years like 2007. They're putting out like three times as much stuff, and while I doubt Secret Lairs or Double Masters eat much time, that's still energy expended.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Honestly i don't think Omnath will even eat or need a ban. Maybe in another set the ramp will have better payoffs but if you nix uro and Ugin you are no longer consistently getting triggers and nothing omnath can easily cheat out immediately ends the game.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 23, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if they ban omnath and not lotus cobra they're just going to have to ban cobra next time a big mana card shows up

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
thank you brawl baddies for using all your removal on omnath when i have a t1 ruin crab

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Funso Banjo posted:

This month is awesome, everyone is playing bad decks in historic, trying to force new cards into their decks. I ran Plat and Diamond and hit Mythic all in one day, with the solitaire Thassa Oracle deck. 1 rare, 56 lands.

How does this deck work?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lancelot posted:

How does this deck work?

1 Thassa's Oracle, 3 Treasure Hunt. Hope to draw two of the four non-lands in your deck.

Cast Treasure Hunt on turn 2, Treasure Hunt on turn 3, and both Treasure Hunt and Thassa's Oracle (with a now-empty library) on turn 4.

Lose to any discard or counterspell.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

So was that brawl matchmaking adjustment that made all the niv and kinnan decks fight each other an automatic thing based on win rates or do we have to wait for the devs to manually put all the Omnath players in their own little queue? Because I was miraculously actually enjoying brawl for once just before ZNR came out.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

Bland posted:

So was that brawl matchmaking adjustment that made all the niv and kinnan decks fight each other an automatic thing based on win rates or do we have to wait for the devs to manually put all the Omnath players in their own little queue? Because I was miraculously actually enjoying brawl for once just before ZNR came out.
it was manual i believe from the wording. in addition, anecdotally i'm facing just drek with omnath (and omnath with my garbo decks)

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Also if Kinnan was in the too good queue, he's certainly not anymore. I keep facing him constantly.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
This deck? Kinda owns. Who needs G

https://twitter.com/coL_Petrify/status/1308353709731061760

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Huxley posted:

Mind's Desire in Vintage