Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Ondrej is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
just had this Eldraine draft that I actually feel pretty good about, but into feedback with anything I overlooked that stands out, as well as advice as to final deck I should be playing.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/37cb41337f0d44158955d512c7522d63

https://www.17lands.com/pool/37cb41337f0d44158955d512c7522d63

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

AngryBooch posted:

lol Kanister is so salty because he brought UW control and went 1-5 on Saturday in League play. Sorry that pros know how to not play into your sweepers my dude.

The funniest thing about this is how much poo poo he talks the couple times I've seen him play.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
afasgadhffdadfhj I wish there was an "undo last action if the opponent hasn't responded to it" option, I thought it was my opponent's end of turn which I'd put a manual stop at and Brash Taunter'd his big stompy guy, but it was right before combat and I realized that the instant I targeted it. dangit

also we all know the animations in the game are pretty loving dire at times, but I haven't seen anything quite as trash garbage as Moraug's animation, where it's literally just his head and horns from the card cut out and wiggled a bit to signify ~he's here~

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah it seems like the animation team's budget got curtailed significantly. like compare any of the eldraine mythics to any of the Zendikar mythics

Are there any Zendikar mythics with actual 3D models (2.5D doesn't count)

edit: not like it's a bad thing that there are less 3D animations, it's just strange

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rumor was they don't think they'll look any good on mobile or something so they moved to lower effort animations

and/or everything else. I like the Drana one, though.

Captain Invictus posted:

also we all know the animations in the game are pretty loving dire at times, but I haven't seen anything quite as trash garbage as Moraug's animation, where it's literally just his head and horns from the card cut out and wiggled a bit to signify ~he's here~
Have you not seen Brazen Borrower? Like yeah, Moraug is "We don't care anymore here's a head" but dancing jiggle beast wars fairy is just so bad for the effort put in.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

thespaceinvader posted:

WHat's your goal with the deck? If it's spamming scute swarm, get more scute swarms. If it's landfall aggro, get more landfall aggo cards (particularly Kazandu Mammoth, Akoum Hellhound, Brushfire Elemental, you need to be hitting hard from turn 2 onwards) and enablers (Cultivate etc), plus things like Crash Through and Embercleave to push damage. You've got a lot of vaguely decent stuff here that doesn't really synergise so the deck will be super unreliable.

If you're doing any kind of red/x or monored aggro, craft 4 Embercleaves, it's probably the best card left in standard.

resistentialism posted:

Fabled passage gives you extra landfall triggers and is used in a billion other decks. If you can count your rare WC on one hand maybe don't blow all your rares making them but 1 or 2 couldn't hurt.

Thanks for the advice! Mostly I just like Phylath and wanna do something with him, I'm probably gonna go for the landfall aggro deck and maybe split the scute swarm into a second deck or something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spiderdrake posted:

Rumor was they don't think they'll look any good on mobile or something so they moved to lower effort animations

and/or everything else. I like the Drana one, though.
Have you not seen Brazen Borrower? Like yeah, Moraug is "We don't care anymore here's a head" but dancing jiggle beast wars fairy is just so bad for the effort put in.
it's bad, but like, you can see the loving artifacting on moraug's head. it's just a wiggly jpeg, I'll take PS2 3D models over a wiggly jpeg

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

I have a little chuckle every time Tymaret's lovely helmet pops up. Buddy, you're an uncommon 2/2, stop being so enthusiastic about being summoned.

I like the shadows cast over the battlefield by Leyline Tyrant and Gargaroth.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

It's 106 miles to Castle Garenbrig, we've got one life, 5 lands on turn 9, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

BioThermo posted:

I have a little chuckle every time Tymaret's lovely helmet pops up. Buddy, you're an uncommon 2/2, stop being so enthusiastic about being summoned.

I like the shadows cast over the battlefield by Leyline Tyrant and Gargaroth.

I love Tymaret! HE'S SO LOUD!! I even made a deck using Spark Double and such just to make multiple copies of him, and things that return him from the dead to make him come back again and again. RAAAAAAAAAAR. It's hilarious!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

What are the loudest animations? Tymaret is up there, Shatter is up there, what else? I kinda want to put together a deck of all annoying/loud animations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Just do a ton of them all at once.

https://scryfall.com/card/dom/201/primevals-glorious-rebirth

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love Cascade Singleton, because Party is surprisingly strong. I play Discontinuity in this deck because I can randomly play a 5-drop on turn 2. I beat these 51 Scute Swarms with my Angel of Destiny.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Shooting Blanks posted:

What are the loudest animations? Tymaret is up there, Shatter is up there, what else? I kinda want to put together a deck of all annoying/loud animations.

doom whisperer is probably a must include

edit: i had a theory that a mirror march + doom whisperer deck would be the most annoying thing possible so i made a deck and first test against sparky flipped 12 consecutive heads

unfortunately the sound only plays one time

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 25, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love this silly-rear end deck. I feel like nobody recognizes Brash Taunter as a serious threat, until a Fiery Emancipation drops and then it gets Thundering Rebuked(or whatever similar direct damage), dealing 36 damage to the face in one shot

What's the best way to get wildcards? Or is it only via boosters? I want to get some specific stuff to improve the deck, but I don't want to spend any more money on this game if I can help it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Captain Invictus posted:

What's the best way to get wildcards? Or is it only via boosters? I want to get some specific stuff to improve the deck, but I don't want to spend any more money on this game if I can help it.

Drafting, even if you just go 3-3, is the most cost-effective way. I own pretty much every relevant card in Standard and I've never spent a cent.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

DrSunshine posted:

I love Tymaret! HE'S SO LOUD!! I even made a deck using Spark Double and such just to make multiple copies of him, and things that return him from the dead to make him come back again and again. RAAAAAAAAAAR. It's hilarious!

Goose and Borrower have gotta be up there. My volume generally stays close to zero but I can always hear those.

I remember a hilarious deck someone ran once designed to put every single possble ludicrously huge loud animation on the board off the same trigger and it was hilarious.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

lol just played an eldraine draft game against someone who had six gingerbread cottages on board and a trail of crumbs and a bunch of other food stuff. how do you even draft six of those drat

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Chamale posted:

Drafting, even if you just go 3-3, is the most cost-effective way. I own pretty much every relevant card in Standard and I've never spent a cent.

This is trap advice, this format is extremely swingy and even people who religiously follow the thread advice and post every draft deck in here are routinely going 0-3//1-3.

Drafting is a good way to get wildcards if you have the money to spend on gems and don’t mind it taking a long as time and playing a lot of magic

If you just want a lot of Zendikar cards for your decks, just spend gold on packs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mox Hombre posted:

lol just played an eldraine draft game against someone who had six gingerbread cottages on board and a trail of crumbs and a bunch of other food stuff. how do you even draft six of those drat

They're generally not very good so you can pick them up on the wheel pretty reliably.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Bust Rodd posted:

This is trap advice, this format is extremely swingy and even people who religiously follow the thread advice and post every draft deck in here are routinely going 0-3//1-3.

Drafting is a good way to get wildcards if you have the money to spend on gems and don’t mind it taking a long as time and playing a lot of magic

If you just want a lot of Zendikar cards for your decks, just spend gold on packs.
I'm a pretty mediocre drafter and my win rate in Zendikar is 56%, so just above 3-3, as the poster above suggested. This is someone who would be new to draft anyway so they're going to start in Bronze and be able to get higher win rates. Before Zendikar my strategy was to fall down to Bronze each month, do 3-4 drafts to climb back to plat and stop there, it got me lots of packs. If you follow the advice in this thread you can feast on the lower ranks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Basically, if you actually enjoy draft, drafting is probably the best way to get wilds/send your daily gold even if you're bad at it, if you don't enjoy draft, but are good at it, it's still probably the best way if you can stomach playing it.

If you're both bad at it and hate it, just buy packs.

Zendikar is a very good set though, I'm apparently 30-odd drafts off cracking my packs, but I'll probably cave before that because the last few unplayable rares are just not something I'm likely to care much about.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bust Rodd posted:

Well, it's more some specific mythics/rares spread across various sets in constructed that are difficult to acquire since I'm out of wildcards to use on them. I just got my fourth solemn simulacrum, for example, and I think I need about 5 or 6 more high end cards if I'm remembering right.

Was just curious if there was an easier way to get wildcards, but I guess it's get packs or draft to get them only. Oh well, I've almost finished the deck, so I'll just grind out the remainder.

And yeah, zendikar is fun as hell. They only have a single set quick draft (the cheap bot draft) up at a time, it's not nestled in some menu I'm not seeing, right? I'm not familiar with theros and want to do some more zendikar cheap drafts if there's a way to still do them right now.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Captain Invictus posted:

Well, it's more some specific mythics/rares spread across various sets in constructed that are difficult to acquire since I'm out of wildcards to use on them. I just got my fourth solemn simulacrum, for example, and I think I need about 5 or 6 more high end cards if I'm remembering right.

Was just curious if there was an easier way to get wildcards, but I guess it's get packs or draft to get them only. Oh well, I've almost finished the deck, so I'll just grind out the remainder.

And yeah, zendikar is fun as hell. They only have a single set quick draft (the cheap bot draft) up at a time, it's not nestled in some menu I'm not seeing, right? I'm not familiar with theros and want to do some more zendikar cheap drafts if there's a way to still do them right now.

you can't actually draft wild cards, the idea is that if you're half-good, you can turn drafting into a money spout for packs and gems at a better rate for your gold than just busting boosters.

the only source of wild cards is either to randomly get them inside of boosters, from the counter thingy that fills up when you open boosters, or opening the vault which is at an absurdly bad rate to the point you can ignore it.

but yes there's usually only one quick/bot draft up at a time and it rotates every... 2 weeks? i haven't touched them since human drafts happened so maybe someone else can answer that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, wilds don't come from any source other than packs (except very, very slowly from duplicate commons and uncommons via the Vault), how you get packs is what's under debate.

Bot drafts yeah, there's usually only one available and it usually rotates between the Standard sets once every two weeks or so. The current one is Theros.

Bot drafting is better if you're bad at it, you need about a 60% winrate to make premier drafting work IIRC, and gives you twice as many entries for your gold, and the rewards are the same or close to the same for the first two or three wins. But the rewards are way worse if you are good at it since the number of packs scales so much better in premier.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
To the people from the last few pages saying they are struggling against the Yorion/Doom landslide that is the meta right now:

Strange as it may sound, I still recommend playing Mono G Food. Exile effects are nasty, so GW and straight up UW are hard, because they have the 1-2 punch of Apparition and ECD. However, I’ve added Ranger’s Guile in the sb which helps in a pinch, and more Ram Throughs to help nab Yorion targets. Also, find a build with Kogla. Best addition to the deck I’ve ever seen, with it killing a creature on the spot and being able to get rid of annoying enchantments when it attacks. GW Yorion is now more even than unfavorable, and Esper/UW is much better post boarding. Everything else in the meta feels favored to even.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Bot drafting is better if you're bad at it, you need about a 60% winrate to make premier drafting work IIRC, and gives you twice as many entries for your gold, and the rewards are the same or close to the same for the first two or three wins. But the rewards are way worse if you are good at it since the number of packs scales so much better in premier.

The other thing to note is that the caliber of play is lower in quick draft (which is good when you're starting) and it gives you time to read all the cards or consult with a draft guide to help you evaluate a pick (also very important when getting started).

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Sometimes the game just tells you what to draft.

Ended up with a pretty monstrous deck, 3x Witchstalkers among other things. Was gonna be mono-G, but I ended up wheeling a Grumgully so I splashed it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Where do I find the current standings for today's Rivals event?

In typical WotC fashion, this is not easily available on an official website anywhere so I just follow this guy on Twitter, he's set up a Google Doc with outlandish things that most Leagues publish like Standings and match history.

https://twitter.com/jpball5

https://twitter.com/jpball5/status/1320378569005072389

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Having gone from five 0-3 drafts in a row at ZR to being relatively gem neutral I don’t know that it is swingy; it just really demands that you find and commit to a deck full of synergies because the effects produced by cards that work together in this format are overwhelmingly stronger than cards that are good in isolation. I think it might actually be harder for more experienced drafters to do well in because it works in its own specific way? I mean, that’s not why I did so badly at the start of the format, that was because I suck

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Shooting Blanks posted:

I remember Massacre Girl being insanely loud, and could chain off if the board was right extending loud slicing sounds for way too long.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
playing Boros Cycling with a 25 damage Zenith Flair in hand against someone who clearly does not know what's about to happen is just :discourse:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ELI PORTER posted:

playing Boros Cycling with a 25 damage Zenith Flair in hand against someone who clearly does not know what's about to happen is just :discourse:

It's even better when they DO know what's going on but accidentally tap out or waste a counterspell on the wrong thing and you just instantly drop a nuke on them :cawg:

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

It's even better when they DO know what's going on but accidentally tap out or waste a counterspell on the wrong thing and you just instantly drop a nuke on them :cawg:

Yeah, your first one getting Drown In The Loch'd but you have a second one in the chamber is pretty funny as well.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The goose making the soaring eagle noise instead of the goose honk was the best sound effect

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Anyone have a good deck for this event? I'm just not feeling it.

Edit: NM, just gonna roll mono-R trash.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 25, 2020

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've never drafted THB before. I need to cut 2. Any suggestions? At the bottom is Dream Trawler and then 17 lands.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

The goose making the soaring eagle noise instead of the goose honk was the best sound effect

For me it was the Ajani's Pridemate making a tiny kitten mewling noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've never drafted THB before. I need to cut 2. Any suggestions? At the bottom is Dream Trawler and then 17 lands.

Lionfish out for Leonins; they can trade with higher cmc cards and if your opponent has escape cards they can also dissuade your opponent from attacking, also devotion for chimera and legitimate threats with commanding presence. Mantles out.

If you don't know, you can trigger Dreadful apathy then flicker it with the trigger on the stack, allowing you to exile the creature and come back in on another creature. And when it comes back in from flicker, it effectively returns already attached to a creature of your choice, so you can attach it through hexproof.