Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I've got a sweet and spicy brew for the thread today;

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/3504016#paper

BW Clerics started as meme-deck I wanted to spin for fun because I liked the card Orah. Ironically, once I got a few games in and realized it actually felt like a real deck, it became apparent pretty quick that Orah is not actually a good card. The rest of the deck is dope though.

Speaker of the Heavens has grossly over-performed. I've been genuinely shocked at how many angels I've made. This deck hits that aggro deck sweet spot where virtually every threat demands an answer, starting with your one drops, so you really tax your opponents' early turns and can run away with the game if they kept a hand light on removal. Village Rites helps dodge exile-based removal and keep your graveyard engine going, and it has a secret line of text occasionally that says "counter both halves of a Bonecrusher Giant" which has been very good. You will clown on red decks and Gruul decks, they just can't keep up with the life gain. I'm currently working my way through diamond with this list.

It's certainly a first-ish draft and isn't fully optimized, especially the board, but the potential is definitely there. Overall, would highly recommend giving it a shot, it's a lot of fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hell yeah. I actually have three Agadeem's Awakenings because I can't not click the mythics in draft even when I know they won't help me.

Kinda eager for a return on investment.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Opinionated posted:

I've been having fun with this Boros Warriors deck I made through ingeniously searching for "warriors". It's somewhat budget friendly, as a lot of the cards are given to you starting out. Does require some mythic wildcards, I'd like to eventually tighten it up with more rares.

At first, I started putting in dual-faced lands but figure this deck leans more towards aggro and might do better with regular land? But drat are they tempting, some really nice utility you can get out of them. I'm still really bad though so if anyone sees any easy fixes, please feel free.

I'm just in the Play queue also, so I haven't actually tested this deck against many great ones.

DO WANT. But man I'm hurting for wildcards rn.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
Historic Fall 2020 Season: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying about Teferi And Learned To Love Embercleave

I've literally never been high on a mono red deck in any format before unless you count Daretti Stax and that is a brown deck that splashes red for its commander.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Historic Fall 2020 Season: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying about Teferi And Learned To Love Embercleave

I've literally never been high on a mono red deck in any format before unless you count Daretti Stax and that is a brown deck that splashes red for its commander.

I don't think I've played a deck without BTE since they un-suspended it, and I've never been happier.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Historic Fall 2020 Season: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying about Teferi...

I've been able to modify my white green deck to gently caress with mill decks now. A few wilts and heloids have taken care of the normal Teferi decks...

Now they have moved to rogue decks and I hate it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
It's kinda funny how ZenithFlare.dec with no Zendicards added is still owning people in Diamond 3

Are there any new innovations in Zendikar for the deck, besides crafting 4 of the RW flipland?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Zero VGS posted:

It's kinda funny how ZenithFlare.dec with no Zendicards added is still owning people in Diamond 3

Are there any new innovations in Zendikar for the deck, besides crafting 4 of the RW flipland?

Shatterskull smashing is pretty free.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I need more Lithoform Engines. I have such a stupid brew for Mono-Green mill in Historic, using Gaea's Blessing + The Binding of the Titans, but it really needs to make Binding copies to really be reliable.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Deck
17 Mountain (ANB) 114
4 Shock (M21) 159
4 Spikefield Hazard (ZNR) 166
4 Magmatic Channeler (ZNR) 148
4 Scorching Dragonfire (ELD) 139
1 Shatterskull Smashing (ZNR) 161
4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
1 Phoenix of Ash (THB) 148
4 Slaying Fire (ELD) 143
1 Valakut Awakening (ZNR) 174
2 Irencrag Feat (ELD) 127
4 Tectonic Giant (THB) 158
3 Brash Taunter (M21) 133
2 Chandra, Heart of Fire (M21) 135
1 Ox of Agonas (THB) 147
3 Fiery Emancipation (M21) 143
1 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
----

It works pretty well in Platinum. So far the only thing I struggle with is Ugin decks. I added the Castle Embereth myself, the original list didn't have any. I'd probably add one more if I had it.

Here's how I've been playing it:
Early turns are usually a Channeler, then plink whatever they put on the board. Best T4 play is Irencrag into Emancipation, then T5 Chandra or Brawler. Target your own brawler to triple damage, which gets tripled again when brawler resolves.
Tectonic Giants are way valuable and can cover both poor hands ~or~ small blockers. A+ card.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Zero VGS posted:

More fliplands, so you can cast the off color cards without having taplands.
There was someone running cycling in the tournament last weekend.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_VgkHAuIjQ

Lots of folks seemed to really like Big Red, Day 9 has been spamming his version.

4 Solemn Simulacrum (M21) 239
13 Mountain (ZNR) 277
4 Valakut Exploration (ZNR) 175
4 Yidaro, Wandering Monster (IKO) 141
4 Fiery Emancipation (M21) 143
4 Irencrag Feat (ELD) 127
3 Sundering Stroke (ELD) 144
4 Shatterskull Smashing (ZNR) 161
3 Crawling Barrens (ZNR) 262
2 Valakut Awakening (ZNR) 174
2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon (M21) 1
3 Slaying Fire (ELD) 143

Sideboard
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon (M21) 1
4 Phoenix of Ash (THB) 148
4 Mazemind Tome (M21) 232
2 Storm's Wrath (THB) 157

I'm personally going to test 2 Cragfeat and 2 Tyrant because I love that card

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I resolved ECD like four times in a draft game and still lost.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

sit on my Facebook posted:

I've got a sweet and spicy brew for the thread today;

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/3504016#paper

BW Clerics started as meme-deck I wanted to spin for fun because I liked the card Orah. Ironically, once I got a few games in and realized it actually felt like a real deck, it became apparent pretty quick that Orah is not actually a good card. The rest of the deck is dope though.

Speaker of the Heavens has grossly over-performed. I've been genuinely shocked at how many angels I've made. This deck hits that aggro deck sweet spot where virtually every threat demands an answer, starting with your one drops, so you really tax your opponents' early turns and can run away with the game if they kept a hand light on removal. Village Rites helps dodge exile-based removal and keep your graveyard engine going, and it has a secret line of text occasionally that says "counter both halves of a Bonecrusher Giant" which has been very good. You will clown on red decks and Gruul decks, they just can't keep up with the life gain. I'm currently working my way through diamond with this list.

It's certainly a first-ish draft and isn't fully optimized, especially the board, but the potential is definitely there. Overall, would highly recommend giving it a shot, it's a lot of fun to play.

I'll give this a go, it's not too far from what I've tried but I wanted to make Nullpriest of Oblivion work and didn't have the aura/equipment angle. Came to the same conclusion on Orah. Embrace seems good for rogues.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i managed to take that red deck i posted earlier to diamond 4. i'm pretty happy with that, especially since this is my first season playing ranked in arena. can't imagine trying to climb to mythic though, platinum felt tough enough

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I don't know if any of you watch CovertGoBlue (CGB) on Youtube, but holy poo poo the video he released today has a really incredible game in it. It's a 30 minute game between Yorion Control (CGB) and Rogues that is a really compelling watch.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 29, 2020

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'll give this a go, it's not too far from what I've tried but I wanted to make Nullpriest of Oblivion work and didn't have the aura/equipment angle. Came to the same conclusion on Orah. Embrace seems good for rogues.

I was on nullpriest at first as well but it's less exiting when you're paying 6 to reanimate 1- or 2-drops. I want my nullpriest buying back, like, elder gargaroth or something. Embrace and Maul granting flying is indeed super clutch against Rogues, and also the gruul Embercleave deck/various green based aggro is really squishy to flying

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I am not good at drafting apparently. After being not good for a bit here, I decided to log one. Can anyone tell me where I've gone awry?

https://www.17lands.com/draft/8a5668ac395f498aaace8dfecd415a5f

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The Great Henge is actually a much stupider and more unfun card than Embercleave imho. Whoever designed it should be given a big old swirly

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Ben Nevis posted:

I am not good at drafting apparently. After being not good for a bit here, I decided to log one. Can anyone tell me where I've gone awry?

P1P1 Jace is good, probably better than Sparkmage
P1P9 Maybe this is a big RW signal but the power level of two Clerics of Life's Bond and Attended Healer is far greater than your red cards. Even if Black wasn't open, the gold clerics are so good I'd be happy to put the blinders on and force Wb. I really liked where the deck was heading in the P1P2 -> P1P5 sequence. You had 6 playables in BW at the end of pack 1 and that gives a pretty decent chance of making playables since W was wide open.

P2P2 I'd pick Blood Beckoning here. Rockslide Sorcerer doesn't really slot into RW that well.
P2P3 Emeria Captain is better than Relic Robber in RW and fits into BW

P3P1 and P3P2 you pick up Clerics cards but pass up the gold card in P3P3. Just pick a lane and stick to it. Granted there wasn't anything in P3P1 but there are a few cards I would have picked over P3P2 Attended Healer in RW.
P3P5 Sejiri Shelter
P3P6 Sneaking Guide is fine, you're never playing 2 Smites and you really want to play 0.

It feels to me like you're drafting based on colours and not archetypes. Putting the BW vs RW decisions aside you spent fairly important picks on cards that don't fit into the RW archetypes (P2P2 Rockslide Sorcerer, P2P3 Relic Robber, P3P2 Attended Healer).

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

boo_radley posted:

Deck
17 Mountain (ANB) 114
4 Shock (M21) 159
4 Magmatic Channeler (ZNR) 148
1 Shatterskull Smashing (ZNR) 161
1 Phoenix of Ash (THB) 148
4 Slaying Fire (ELD) 143
1 Valakut Awakening (ZNR) 174
2 Irencrag Feat (ELD) 127
4 Tectonic Giant (THB) 158
3 Brash Taunter (M21) 133
1 Ox of Agonas (THB) 147
3 Fiery Emancipation (M21) 143
1 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
----

It works pretty well in Platinum. So far the only thing I struggle with is Ugin decks. I added the Castle Embereth myself, the original list didn't have any. I'd probably add one more if I had it.

Here's how I've been playing it:
Early turns are usually a Channeler, then plink whatever they put on the board. Best T4 play is Irencrag into Emancipation, then T5 Chandra or Brawler. Target your own brawler to triple damage, which gets tripled again when brawler resolves.
Tectonic Giants are way valuable and can cover both poor hands ~or~ small blockers. A+ card.

This is a very fun deck, thanks for sharing it.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

SalTheBard posted:

I don't know if any of you watch CovertGoBlue (CGB) on Youtube, but holy poo poo the video he released today has a really incredible game in it. It's a 30 minute game between 2 Yorion Control Decks that is a really compelling watch.

Match 2 Game 2 where he's up against Rogues and wins with zero cards in his library is one of the craziest matches I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyrjC8gUNwE

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Oh God yes I meant Rogues instead of Yorion Control

EDIT: Starts at 47 minutes in.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 29, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Fish Of Doom posted:

Match 2 Game 2 where he's up against Rogues and wins with zero cards in his library is one of the craziest matches I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyrjC8gUNwE

One of the most compelling games I've watched. So loving awesome.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The Great Henge is actually a much stupider and more unfun card than Embercleave imho. Whoever designed it should be given a big old swirly

I'm not sure. Henge at least gives you a chance to find an answer within a turn or two, generally. Embercleave is, as often as not, an immediate "I win" button.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
It's pretty easy to see Embercleave coming. Counterspelling it is hilarious.

Embercleave is a sudden killing blow; the Henge is a value engine that you usually have a turn or two to answer.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Ben Nevis posted:

P1P1: Disagree with Wei, i've never seen Jace do anything unless the other person has a terrible draw.
P1P11: Teeterpeak Ambusher is a better pick if you're looking to hedge a bit. It's better in a warriors build and i don't think a clerics deck cares about resolute strike.
P2P1 + P2P2: I can't tell what you're trying to do here. R/W doesn't want kor celebrant so if you're taking that then you're committing to B/W (in which case you take Blood Beckoning in the next pack). If you're still trying to hedge, you should be taking raptor. I don't even think Rockslide Sorcerer is likely to do anything in a warriors deck.
P2P6: Molten Blast is playable here. Lots of your own creature can't survive a cinderclasm so i'm not sure why you're taking it.
P3P1: ???
P3P2: ???
P3P5: Is this really worth it just to try and get an anointed healer trigger (and only one because the healer is unlikely to survive combat)? You're set on 2-drops at the moment, i like the sejiri shelter
P3P6: Smite is pretty bad in bo1 and on top of that you have two bindings already to answer big creatures. Sneaking Guide looks good here, it makes relic robber and bugcatcher better.

The switch to red was smart, so good job there, just gotta do a little work on finding the most efficient way to hedge your bets when you're stuck between two archetypes. Also you kind of forgot that you were drafting r/w for a bit in the third pack. Feels like you would have been much better off just forgetting about the one anointed healer that was in your pool already and making picks that better fit an aggressive warriors deck.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

sit on my Facebook posted:

I was on nullpriest at first as well but it's less exiting when you're paying 6 to reanimate 1- or 2-drops. I want my nullpriest buying back, like, elder gargaroth or something. Embrace and Maul granting flying is indeed super clutch against Rogues, and also the gruul Embercleave deck/various green based aggro is really squishy to flying

I want to like Nullpriest, because it seems like a good application of kicker, but I just haven't been excited by any reanimation spell since they decided that reanimating has to cost at least 5. You might as well just replace your reanimation card with ramp, or another good creature since you're not cheating anything out early.

5 mana used to get you +2/+0 and haste, or Flashback, or every creature of a chosen type

A Moose fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 29, 2020

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMJack posted:

It's pretty easy to see Embercleave coming. Counterspelling it is hilarious.

Embercleave is a sudden killing blow; the Henge is a value engine that you usually have a turn or two to answer.

Yeah, Embercleave is pretty predictable for the most part. You know how many creatures are on the board before combat begins, you know how much mana they have available, and you know how many cards are in their hand. You should have a pretty good idea about when you might get Embercleaved.

I've definitely gotten unavoidably hosed by Embercleave because I didn't have removal/counterspells/whatever on hand, but I've always known it was coming. It's never just obliterated me out of nowhere.

Henge on the other hand is generally "kill this within 2 turns or get hosed" for me, because of the life gain and card advantage it produces.

IntravenusDiMilo
Jul 27, 2004

There's a fine line between stupid...and clever.

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_VgkHAuIjQ

Lots of folks seemed to really like Big Red, Day 9 has been spamming his version.

4 Solemn Simulacrum (M21) 239
13 Mountain (ZNR) 277
4 Valakut Exploration (ZNR) 175
4 Yidaro, Wandering Monster (IKO) 141
4 Fiery Emancipation (M21) 143
4 Irencrag Feat (ELD) 127
3 Sundering Stroke (ELD) 144
4 Shatterskull Smashing (ZNR) 161
3 Crawling Barrens (ZNR) 262
2 Valakut Awakening (ZNR) 174
2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon (M21) 1
3 Slaying Fire (ELD) 143

Sideboard
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon (M21) 1
4 Phoenix of Ash (THB) 148
4 Mazemind Tome (M21) 232
2 Storm's Wrath (THB) 157

I'm personally going to test 2 Cragfeat and 2 Tyrant because I love that card

How are you guys managing to make any of these Big Red decks work? I like the idea, but it seems to really eat poo poo against any decks with counters, and it seems a little too slow vs aggro.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also you can answer Embercleave with just a bunch of creature removal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

IntravenusDiMilo posted:

How are you guys managing to make any of these Big Red decks work? I like the idea, but it seems to really eat poo poo against any decks with counters, and it seems a little too slow vs aggro.

TBH I played 3 rounds of Bo3 and I agree, this deck just cannot do anything against rogues or UW at all, you need to draw perfectly AS WELL AS them not have any of their perfect counterspells. It’s very frustrating so I went back on my bullshit in Historic

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
Not that it matters since Theros quick draft is going away soon, but I would appreciate any feedback on this draft I just did. I ended up in a UW deck but wasn't really sure what to do in my seat.

Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/358aafc9a78c407b825c011e0e74b9f5
Deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/358aafc9a78c407b825c011e0e74b9f5

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm not sure. Henge at least gives you a chance to find an answer within a turn or two, generally. Embercleave is, as often as not, an immediate "I win" button.

Everybody else pretty much covered it but I can actually do something against an Embercleave by holding a Heartless Act or whatever even if Cleave randomly kills you sometimes. Gruul can untap and cast Henge on t4 with 20% of the cards in their deck so you basically can never let them untap with any of those and if they do get the Henge down you must be able to specifically interact with it immediately or you're pretty much hosed. Even 3-for-1 sweepers aren't gonna keep you in the game against it unless they just brick their asses off

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Looking for comments on my latest ZNR draft:

draft

deck

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Technowolf posted:

Looking for comments on my latest ZNR draft:

draft

deck

I would have taken Nahiri's Binding over Angelheart Protector P1P3. Angelhearts won't normally be hard to pick up later if you want them. I would have taken another Blight Priest over Kitesail Cleric P3P3. You should be pushing all-in on these cleric interactions as they all make each other better.

I would definitely be running the last Kor Celebrant and Angelheart (remove the Mesa Lynx's). Kor Celebrant is exactly what you want in this deck, and Angelheart is... a cleric.

Edit: And maybe go down one land for a Subtle Strike? Anywho, overall, I think you should do pretty well here.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 29, 2020

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Lol drafts can be infuriating sometimes. I know it's just variance and i'm not really salty, just sucks to be on the bad end of it. I drafted a really sweet GB food deck with 2x oven, 2x cat and 2x 7/7 giant spell, then proceeded to lose to 2 players slamming a garruk and the third player killed my oven, exiled my cat with the 3 damage burn spell and then just played a knight every turn and I lost. oh well, once more into the fray I guess

update: went into a new draft, got a sweet UB mill deck and my first opponent plays oko turn 3 ...

hey mom its 420 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 29, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The real question is not which is more busted, cleave or henge, but why development boofed on all three other mythic artifacts. Can you even name them?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shrecknet posted:

The real question is not which is more busted, cleave or henge, but why development boofed on all three other mythic artifacts. Can you even name them?

I could name the knight one off the top of my head, because it's sometimes used.

The blue one I remembered existed and roughly what it did. The black one made me go "huh...".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

it's uhhh ... witch's mirror?? and knight house?