Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

One of the most compelling games I've watched. So loving awesome.

It does bear pointing out that the first match is against Gabriel Nassif, which is essentially Brady vs Joe Montana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Shrecknet posted:

The real question is not which is more busted, cleave or henge, but why development boofed on all three other mythic artifacts. Can you even name them?

Circle of Loyalty, Cauldron of Eternity, and some kind of mirror or something idk

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The mirror was pretty handy in Cascade Singleton, fwiw.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Someone convince me that I should or should not spend some rares on 60 card Esper Doom.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

people in this very thread were sharting their jorts over cauldron for some reason

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Shrecknet posted:

It does bear pointing out that the first match is against Gabriel Nassif, which is essentially Brady vs Joe Montana

This video was one of my favorites he's done in awhile. Serious CGB is pretty fun to watch.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Someone convince me that I should or should not spend some rares on 60 card Esper Doom.
I'm playing it at the moment and it's very fun. Dance of the Manse is just gross when you get to pull it off.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Technowolf posted:

Looking for comments on my latest ZNR draft:

draft

deck

P1P1: Roost is just so much more likely to work out than Orah. A halfway-there kicker deck will still have powerful card and be capable of winning games, but a clerics deck that doesn't get enough payoffs is just a bunch of 2/1s and 3/2 that can't ever kill the opponent.
P1P3: This is a huge reach, just take the binding. If clerics is open then you have much better options than the protector.
P1P8: Mucklord sucks, I'd go with blood price, you're probably not playing anything out of this pack but if you have enough lifegain then bloodprice because a good way to leverage that into an on-board advantage.
P3P3: Kitesail Cleric is terrible and blight-priest is fantastic when you have so mana celebrants to trigger it.
P3P6: I like spare supplies here, clerics decks want to assemble critical mass of celebrants + things that pay them off for gaining life, and a 2-for-1 helps get you enough material to pull that off.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Everybody else pretty much covered it but I can actually do something against an Embercleave by holding a Heartless Act or whatever even if Cleave randomly kills you sometimes. Gruul can untap and cast Henge on t4 with 20% of the cards in their deck so you basically can never let them untap with any of those and if they do get the Henge down you must be able to specifically interact with it immediately or you're pretty much hosed. Even 3-for-1 sweepers aren't gonna keep you in the game against it unless they just brick their asses off

Both of these plays require their T3 giant creature to go unmolested. You’re just punished for not being able to answer their threats at the exact moment they play them

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Doom Foretold gets boofed by both Skyclave Apparition and Elspeth Conquers death, and the Omen cycle of enchantments are seeing heavy play right now in all likelihood building a Doom Foretold deck just means a ton of game where your signature costs 4 mana and maybe eats an Omen of the Sun or a Golden Egg and then beefs it.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

people in this very thread were sharting their jorts over cauldron for some reason

Heck, I'm still convinced it's gonna end up good somewhere, and I've changed my jorts multiple times since then

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Cauldron would have maybe been a little better if the set immediately following Eldraine hadnt revolved entirely around cards that bring themselves back from the GY by making the rest of your GY smaller.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

SalTheBard posted:

I don't know if any of you watch CovertGoBlue (CGB) on Youtube, but holy poo poo the video he released today has a really incredible game in it. It's a 30 minute game between Yorion Control (CGB) and Rogues that is a really compelling watch.
Just posting to say this video was great, thanks for the reco.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Ani posted:

As much as I love CGB's bo1 daily videos his bo3 competitive vids that he makes are even better imo

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

sit on my Facebook posted:

Heck, I'm still convinced it's gonna end up good somewhere, and I've changed my jorts multiple times since then
It's a fun build around card in commander. Particularly in Grenzo.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Shrecknet posted:

The real question is not which is more busted, cleave or henge, but why development boofed on all three other mythic artifacts. Can you even name them?

I remember Magic Mirror showing up in a couple of control lists right after Eldraine dropped, but people quickly realized there were more powerful/degenerate options available. Never seen Cauldron in a constructed list at all, but I could see it happening if WotC prints something that breaks it in just the right way.

Circle of Loyalty got botched by the Knight requirement on the casting cost reduction. If it just said "This spell costs {1} less to cast for each creature you control" (or even each white creature) it would've been playable, even if everything else stayed the same. None of the other legendary artifacts have the same tribal requirement - imagine if Embercleave said "This spell costs {1} less to cast for each attacking Dwarf you control" or the Great Henge said "This spell costs {X} less to cast, where X is the greatest power among Giants you control".

It's unfortunate because CoL could've been the shot in the arm to make Knights viable, and they can obviously seed a set with enough obvious synergistic tribal pieces to fill out a strong deck (i.e. Rogues) when they want to.

Also they already had one absolutely terrible Knight tribal card in Eldraine, did we really need a second?

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 29, 2020

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

I just went against a deck that mutates scute swarms and my mind is blown

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Knights’ Charge is a supplemental deck card, it’s not in boosters

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

ConfusedPig posted:

I just went against a deck that mutates scute swarms and my mind is blown

Yeah, it's some poo poo when there's suddenly a bunch of gem razers.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

They should have printed one card that was something like:

_______
3UG
mutate 2UG

"You may cast non-human creature cards from your hand as if they had mutate so long as they target [THIS_CREATURE], where the mutate cost is that card's casting cost."

4/4
_______

just to really break things.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I'm going to be really sad when mutate rotates.

Sodomeow
Sep 26, 2015

Technowolf posted:

I would imagine that Ikoria gets a revisit sometime not too far in the future.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Technowolf posted:

I hated it the first few times I played against it, but the more I play it (and against it) the more I enjoy it, probably more than morph, which I feel is a sort a similar investment/creature flexibility mechanic. (I took a veeeerrrryyy long break between Innistrad and M21, and so I missed basically nine years of Magic R&D.) (I thought I was out, but it keeps pulling me back in.)

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Both of these plays require their T3 giant creature to go unmolested. You’re just punished for not being able to answer their threats at the exact moment they play them

No? You can hold up removal and kill the creature Cleave's ETB targets, you don't have to kill everything on sight. An unequipped Cleave in play is still dangerous but not nearly as bad as it is in hand. Henge doesn't have the same interaction axis

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Bland posted:

Circle of Loyalty, Cauldron of Eternity, and some kind of mirror or something idk

Lol - until these posts, I had thought the black part of this cycle was Bolas's Citadel (seemed reasonable... expensive colored artifact with big splashy effect).

I was on Magic break when these sets came out. I thought Bolas had invaded fairy world or something.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Ani posted:

PleasantDirge posted:

As much as I love CGB's bo1 daily videos his bo3 competitive vids that he makes are even better imo

CGB has become my default Magic youtuber over the last few months. Most of the decks I play are his (or variations on his). His BO3 videos have been fun too. I feel like in Bo1 you don't get to see his really competitive side (I mean he does get salty about losing) but his Bo3 videos..holy poo poo it's like watching a different person play.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

rickiep00h posted:

I hated it the first few times I played against it, but the more I play it (and against it) the more I enjoy it, probably more than morph, which I feel is a sort a similar investment/creature flexibility mechanic. (I took a veeeerrrryyy long break between Innistrad and M21, and so I missed basically nine years of Magic R&D.) (I thought I was out, but it keeps pulling me back in.)

I also just jumped back in after last playing standard in that block. Maybe one of the reasons I don't hate Embercleave (besides loving it when RDW is king) is that I remember Wolfrun decks. Sure it wasn't a surprise like a flashed in sword but it still required that you answered the target or die most of the time.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

8th-snype posted:

I also just jumped back in after last playing standard in that block. Maybe one of the reasons I don't hate Embercleave (besides loving it when RDW is king) is that I remember Wolfrun decks. Sure it wasn't a surprise like a flashed in sword but it still required that you answered the target or die most of the time.

My main competitive and heavily-invested time was Kamigawa/Ravnica Standard through the first Zendikar, with a LOT of collecting of old Extended/Legacy poo poo. Sold most of my collection right before Modern got big and felt so loving burned by that experience that paper collecting has been... less fun. Luckily a lot of reprinting has brought prices back down, but I'm still too drat poor to buy it all back now. So here I am playing Arena for close to free and using the closest things I can to decks I understand from back in the day. (Rogues is pretty Faeries-like, current RDW is a lot like Gruul Beats, UG Ramp can play a lot like UG Tron, Yorin is looking a bit like a Lark/Solar Flare amalgam, etc.)

Thinking about maybe playing Clerics or something in the near future, but the non-optimized RDW pile I'm running has gotten me into the Golds so far, and that's mostly just doing dailies/weeklies. Might make an effort to actually grind next month, but probably not.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

rickiep00h posted:

My main competitive and heavily-invested time was Kamigawa/Ravnica Standard through the first Zendikar, with a LOT of collecting of old Extended/Legacy poo poo. Sold most of my collection right before Modern got big and felt so loving burned by that experience that paper collecting has been... less fun. Luckily a lot of reprinting has brought prices back down, but I'm still too drat poor to buy it all back now. So here I am playing Arena for close to free and using the closest things I can to decks I understand from back in the day. (Rogues is pretty Faeries-like, current RDW is a lot like Gruul Beats, UG Ramp can play a lot like UG Tron, Yorin is looking a bit like a Lark/Solar Flare amalgam, etc.)

Thinking about maybe playing Clerics or something in the near future, but the non-optimized RDW pile I'm running has gotten me into the Golds so far, and that's mostly just doing dailies/weeklies. Might make an effort to actually grind next month, but probably not.

Yeah, I played in paper during the Ice Age days then jumped onto MTGO just after Ravnica. If you want to feel better about selling your cards, I sold my "box of nerd cards" to a dude off CL in 2008 for like $200 and I had a full play set of revised dual lands and a bunch of Lion's Eye Diamonds and other stuff that hurts to think about now.

I played a ton of Modern and Legacy on MTGO until life got in the way. I'm kinda glad I sold all my digital cards off around the time they banned Deathrite Shaman (RIP my fav RUG tempo deck) so I didn't take a bath on some of the staples they've reprinted (goyf is like 5 tix now? JFC). I'm digging Arena so far, I spent like 40 buck on drafts just to grind cards and WCs and have put together the rogue mill deck and the cycling deck. Gold seems to be relatively easy to hit even just messing around a few times a week.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I'm trying to build a BO1 historic adventures deck for fun. what do y'all think about this first draft:

I suck at making manabases so it can probably be improved. the Ionize can become a negate. I've tried it and it's worked well so far in diamond against things that aren't combo

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

anyone else get this bug? the card text is huge and floating besides the cards lol

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

it's pretty rare that every card in a cycle is good. The 1 being amazing, 1 being good and the rest being borderline playable to bad seems fairly normal?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Mox Hombre posted:

anyone else get this bug? the card text is huge and floating besides the cards lol

Did you add dad to your deck?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

dad: added

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Mox Hombre posted:

Lmao

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Mox Hombre posted:

I've seen it before. It happens sometimes but goes away between games/matches, or after restarting.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I already have all the cards... it's bad. It used to be good when there wasn't rogues, but they have multiple counterspells online from turn 2 onwards.

If you're gonna blow a million rares, at least do it on that 210-card deck I posted about earlier lol

edit: As someone else said, losing Kaya's Oath is easily the most brutal part. It kicked huge amount of rear end when it had Oath and I could burn people out just be recurring them. But now Red can easily outrace it and Rogues will counter you.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 30, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

No? You can hold up removal and kill the creature Cleave's ETB targets, you don't have to kill everything on sight. An unequipped Cleave in play is still dangerous but not nearly as bad as it is in hand. Henge doesn't have the same interaction axis

I mean you use your removal spell on their lovestruck beast or the kazandu mammoth so they can't T4 henge you, the same way you would remove the Embercleave guy

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

First of all, what in the seven hells is a Cliffhaven Kitesail doing showing up as Pick 13?

Second of all, I ended up cutting all three Cliffhaven Kitesails from my draft deck.

Finally and of the most importance, have they published any data on the top card arts used for decks? This draft is goin' with Nimana Skydancer. It will not be my first.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean you use your removal spell on their lovestruck beast or the kazandu mammoth so they can't T4 henge you, the same way you would remove the Embercleave guy

Idk why you're so hellbent on misunderstanding the point being made. Embercleave has multiple lines of counterplay using generically useful cards, and sometimes holding up instant removal is to kill the Cleave's target is a better play and having more choices is more interesting Magic than just having to never let your opponent untap with any of their various 5/5s. Sometimes you can stave off an Embercleave turn just by nugging a token with a Hazard or a Stomp! There's no such thing with Henge, it's literally just "kill everything big within a turn of your opponent playing it or else"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

There's no such thing with Henge, it's literally just "kill everything big within a turn of your opponent playing it or else"

I’m not misunderstanding anything, I’m saying the counterplay to TGH is to keep them off a 4 power creature so they can’t cast it, using all the same generally useful removal spells you are talking about. I’m trying not to treat you the way everyone treats me when I complain about Embercleave being OP by just telling me “oh just hold up removal and you’ll never, ever lose to Embercleave!”