Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

No Wave posted:

before we go overboard keep in mind this deck was balanced last set. Aggro being especially weak is more the culprit than field is (though aggro being weak is absolutely something they knew was coming)
I only played Golos during the Free Event but it definitely seemed like Once Upon a Time is an overlooked source of the deck's strength. Making sure you've got 3 lands on turn 2 and a Grazer in play is bonkers against both aggro and midrange.

I will lol if they ban Grazer though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
You fuckers, you told me literally 2 days ago to go ahead and blow all my wildcards on a Golos deck. "Don't worry, if they ban it you'll get the wild cards back"... yeah for one set... not the other 20 rares! I'm ruined!

edit: OK so, for best of 1, what is the absolute fastest deck to either win, or prompt a Concede, or make it obvious to me I should concede. Something like last rotation's Mono-U or Mono-R where it is super obvious to the opponent when they are hosed.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 9, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zero VGS posted:

or prompt a Concede

Anything that involves 4x Duress and 4x Thought Erasure.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Zero VGS posted:

You fuckers, you told me literally 2 days ago to go ahead and blow all my wildcards on a Golos deck. "Don't worry, if they ban it you'll get the wild cards back"... yeah for one set... not the other 20 rares! I'm ruined!

edit: OK so, for best of 1, what is the absolute fastest deck to either win, or prompt a Concede, or make it obvious to me I should concede. Something like last rotation's Mono-U or Mono-R where it is super obvious to the opponent when they are hosed.

You can still pull off plenty of victories with Golos! He's a 3/5 after all, you'll only have to hit with him 7 times. And think of all the lands you'll have while you do it!

You don't even need to use his activated ability. Golos is that powerful.

for your edit question, it's for the average rando it's usually thought erasure or the glorious T2 Oko

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

zoux posted:

Ah. Well, you must have faith in Ali.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Chomp8645 posted:

Anything that involves 4x Duress and 4x Thought Erasure.
When my opponent thought erasures me t2 t3 t4 then concedes I somehow feel I got the worse end of the deal.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

zoux posted:

Ah. Well, you must have faith in Ali.

Golos Fires.

Actually this decks sucks the more I think about it. There's a reason I'm no Ali.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Hard to predict that the best deck in standard would get hammered down, turns out it was too good!

Enjoy your wins for the next 3 weeks, and unfortunately, that's how the cookie crumbles.

Also, the only rares that you're really going to be out are golos, so it's like 4 rares. Every other card you crafted (except king Kenrith, :v:) has a home in another deck.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

All the other rare cards in golos Fields except Golos and Field will almost certainly still see play.

Edit: I still have hope for Kenrith even.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

No Wave posted:

before we go overboard keep in mind this deck was balanced last set. Aggro being especially weak is more the culprit than field is (though aggro being weak is absolutely something they knew was coming)

Cards that existed last standard that rotated out:
Alpine Moon
Field of Ruin
Blood Sun

Saying "The card was balanced last set" is meaningless when every good answer to it rotated

Also LOL at "Aggro being weak" Cavalcade is insanely fast

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
I wouldn't mind seeing Field of the Dead as a restricted card if Wizards would ever do that in Standard.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kin33 posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing Field of the Dead as a restricted card if Wizards would ever do that in Standard.

Field always should have been legendary. It's a field that zombies just pop out of, are there lots of those through the Multiverse?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Maybe it'll get the Nexus treatment, bo3 only

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Field always should have been legendary. It's a field that zombies just pop out of, are there lots of those through the Multiverse?

apparently all of amonkhet is like that

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

A lot of people died in War of the Spark, ok

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Chadzok posted:

Maybe it'll get the Nexus treatment, bo3 only

The timing of the announcement is the day after the Mythic Championship 5 on Oct 18-20 (Standard Bo3 Arena) because decklists were just submitted for that event. Mythic Championship 6 is November 8-10 (Standard Bo3 and Eldraine Limited Bo3 Tabletop). My guess is WotC saw that 50%+ of the decks submitted for MC5 are a flavor of Golos Fields. The games are going to be boring. And if the meta didn't shift before MC6, the viewing experience would be even more miserable because it's tabletop. Every mirror would go to time. It'd be a nightmare.

Nexus was banned in Bo1 prior to the Bo1 Mythic Invitational tourney because it's dreadful to watch and was also OP in Bo1.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KanyeBestMTG/status/1182017967246254080

Icon of Ancestry in a Boros Knights deck but how do you argue with that rank

Augh and my quest today is 750g play WR spells, here I go lads

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 10, 2019

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Also LOL at "Aggro being weak" Cavalcade is insanely fast

It’s also insanely bad

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Zero VGS posted:

Cavalcade. It's not a good tourney deck but it's a good bo1 grinder. There's also Skies:

4 Empyrean Eagle (M20) 208
4 Rally of Wings (WAR) 27
9 Plains (XLN) 263
4 Faerie Miscreant (M20) 58
4 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
4 Hypnotic Sprite (ELD) 49
4 Loyal Pegasus (M20) 28
4 Faerie Guidemother (ELD) 11
2 Sephara, Sky's Blade (M20) 36
4 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
9 Island (MI) 0
4 Winged Words (M20) 80

Which will either kill them quick or fold to a board sweep. Either way it won't be a twenty minute game.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Time posted:

It’s also insanely bad

Lol okay

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Cavalcade of calamitous win rate!!!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

It literally wins 42% of its games in mythic. That’s bad

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
An aggro deck whose weakness is "having blockers" and "playing some removal" is a bad aggro deck

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah there's a difference between decks you bring to the ladder/tournament plays and decks you use to grind wins in quickplay. Cavalcade sucks poo poo for former but is pretty good for the latter. Especially with all the fuckers running Golos in quickplay.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Chomp8645 posted:

Here, I refined it a tad too. I cut a few of the extraneous x1 cards and kept the mana simple. This is easier to use as a base. This also brings it down to just two rares and two mythic rares. I think it's really effective relative to the crazy low amount of (relevant) wildcards you have to use on it. I'd say the Senate Griffins, Time Wipes, and Azorius Skyguard are swappable within their mana costs if you want to try other big flyers or sorceries. I also might swap the Winged Words back to Wardens, hard to say. But I'd say this is a great start point.

4x Empyrean Eagle
3x Azorius Skyguard
2x Senate Griffin
4x Faerie Miscreant
2x Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer
4x Cloudkin Seer
2x Winged Words
3x Trapped in the Tower
4x Faerie Vandal
4x Elite Guardmage
2x Heraldic Banner
2x Time Wipe
13x Island
11x Plains

I'd say the Senate Griffins, Time Wipes, and Azorius Skyguard are swappable for just about anything within their mana costs. I also might swap the Winged Words back to Wardens, hard to say. But I'd say this is a great start point. In my experience you can get away without mana fixing in this setup 90% of the time. Although of if you have extra WCs that's an area to improve.

Thanks so much!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok so the problem I’m having with Gruul in Bo1 is basically that I will absolutely lose if I ever draw 3 or more lands in a row.

If you’re ripping threats reliably then you can’t really lose but any flood whatsoever and it’s game over

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Time posted:

It literally wins 42% of its games in mythic. That’s bad

In the highest level of competition you say

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

In the highest level of competition you say

He's right though. Cavalcade blows against a ton of top tier decks and there's so many try hards in Mythic spamming the top tier decks all day.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol every deck in platinum is either golos or a deck clearly meant to prey on golos but is still not actually favored against them

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so the problem I’m having with Gruul in Bo1 is basically that I will absolutely lose if I ever draw 3 or more lands in a row.

If you’re ripping threats reliably then you can’t really lose but any flood whatsoever and it’s game over

have you considered playing a deck where flooding out still generates 6/6 worth of stats every turn?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm watching the ELEAGUE SHOWDOWN on twitch right now. Field of the Dead is not long for this world. Also I'm super glad I didn't buy the mastery pass for this set because I can easily see myself taking a couple weeks off this game until the ban hits.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Field is such an absolutely messed up card in retrospect.

Having a card that generates a board presence with less than zero mana cost and an incredibly low opportunity cost is insane. This feels like a Skullclamp level fuckup.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

AnEdgelord posted:

Field is such an absolutely messed up card in retrospect.

Having a card that generates a board presence with less than zero mana cost and an incredibly low opportunity cost is insane. This feels like a Skullclamp level fuckup.

You forgot no good way to counter it.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Interestingly I think it would have been fine if they hadn't rotated out literally every good piece of non-basic hate.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Trying to get some of my friends to play MTGA, but why is it that now even the most straightforward monocolor has an absolute fuckload of rares/mythics in it? Cheapest barely functional deck right now would be budget gates and it's not exactly the kind of deck you want a newbie to play.

On a side note I'm getting asked about bi/tricolor decks with such a level of enthusiasm that I'm deliberately withholding information on shock lands for fear of scaring them the gently caress away forever.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Interestingly I think it would have been fine if they hadn't rotated out literally every good piece of non-basic hate.

True, which is even more odd with the cycle of powerful utility common and rare lands in Eldraine. You'd think non-basic land hate would be plentiful.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Hell just have the field of the dead zombies come in tapped would have given the aggro decks an extra turn for lethal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s hosed up that Golos can mull to 5, go
Grazer
growth Spiral
Circuitous route

And untap on T4 with a basically unbeatable board state and for absolutely no cost, no investment, and with no real method of interaction.

LOL if you ever wondered how dumb some magic players are Twitter is alive with people speculating that this new B&R announcement will be about banning Astrolabe in Pauper or loving Oko in Brawl like Jesus Christ lol

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 10, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zero VGS posted:

i'd feel bad for you but you willingly chose to play golos fields so you deserve everything you get and more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bust Rodd posted:

LOL if you ever wondered how dumb some magic players are Twitter is alive with people speculating that this new B&R announcement will be about banning Astrolabe in Pauper or loving Oko in Brawl like Jesus Christ lol

both of those are actually completely reasonable speculations and when it got pointed out to me that the announcement specifically mentioned digital formats and got pushed up to right when the first brawl events are happening on mtga it definitely makes a lot more sense that it'd be brawl bans