Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There does seem to be some matchmaking going on, but I'm not sure by what metric. My galazeth deck that doesn't really have much wincons beyond casting big spells and bashing faces in with dragons gets matched up against ludicrously powerful poo poo, but my Darigaaz deck seems to be 50/50 other silly jank decks/ tryhards. Red/white spiritdwarf guy keeps getting paired up with people who cannot handle it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Found a nice Boros synergy. Plarg Dean of Chaos turn 2, Venerable Warsinger turn 3. Turn 4 after blockers are declared, you discard the creature you want.

Edit: Just had T1: Selfless Savior, T2: Plarg, T3: Venerable Warsinger, T4: Blade Historian and discard a second Warsinger. It was glorious.

wolfman101 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 10, 2021

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I've been playing this a bit and I'm interested in how to best spend my gold while enjoying the free intro decks. Do I open Strix or something else?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Eldraine, theros, ikoria and core set 2021 rotate out of standard in the fall. Zendikar, kaldheim, strixhaven and the upcoming set have another year to go after that. Eldraine is an extremely powerful set that has cards that are going to be important in standard until it rotates. Theros is also pretty powerful. Strixhaven is maybe a little on the weak side and all the rest are somewhat comparable.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Atoramos posted:

I've been playing this a bit and I'm interested in how to best spend my gold while enjoying the free intro decks. Do I open Strix or something else?

Strixhaven/Kaldheim/Zendikar will be legal for the longest. Core set 2021 and the stuff before it rotate out when the first Innistrad set is released in september.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Just beat the #445 Mythic player in limited (I'm in Platinum)! :toot:

Deck I'm running:

Deck
2 Combat Professor
1 Elite Spellbinder
1 Pilgrim of the Ages
1 Bury in Books
1 Mentor's Guidance
1 Snow Day
1 Vortex Runner
1 Waterfall Aerialist
1 Efreet Flamepainter
1 First Day of Class
2 Heated Debate
1 Pigment Storm
1 Pillardrop Warden
2 Tome Shredder
1 Creative Outburst
1 Elemental Expressionist
1 Lorehold Pledgemage
1 Make Your Mark
1 Spectacle Mage
1 Cogwork Archivist
1 Access Tunnel
2 Lorehold Campus
3 Plains
6 Island
5 Mountain

Sideboard
2 Semester's End
3 Star Pupil
1 Solve the Equation
1 Soothsayer Adept
1 Vortex Runner
1 Promising Duskmage
1 Illuminate History
1 Double Major
1 Elemental Summoning
2 Fractal Summoning
1 Oggyar Battle-Seer
1 Pest Summoning
1 Silverquill Pledgemage
1 Spirit Summoning
1 Stonebound Mentor

edit: beat the #415 later on in the same draft :stare:

Ended up losing the final match when my opponent had a counter for my bounce of the Witherbloom creature with menace that grows as you gain life. They had a really good life-gain focused deck and once that bounce failed it became inevitable as I had nothing to remove it with. Still, 6-3 with a complete mess of a deck feels pretty good.

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 10, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've noticed Arena has some funny quirks (so far mostly harmless).

For instance my opponent losing animated their Heliod.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
A couple weeks back I asked for feedback on my modified Gruul starter deck and I took all the advice... except I insisted on holding onto Warden of the Chain, arguing that a three drop 4/4 trample is too good to pass up, even with the limiting ability. Well, over the last couple days, I've really felt that limit. I'd had a bad run, and I felt like several games were due to Warden holding me back. A major problem is when I have Warden and another +4 power creature, the opponent can get that creature off the board and now my Warden is neutered. It became an outcome that I kept coming across.

Tonight I went back and took the advice I was given before. Dropped the four Wardens for two Primal Might and two Lovestruck Beast (needed to craft one). After this change I had four straight wins at Silver rank. Both Primal and Lovestruck made sizable impacts.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

fadam posted:

When you guys are playing Pact, and your opponent has 1B untapped and a bunch of cards in hand. If you're going off with the Thassa's Oracle trigger on the stack and only two devotion (from the Oracle), in the dark, assuming you don't know anything about your opponent's decklist, how many cards do you stop at?

Just had a guy go all the way to 0 even though he knew I had Baleful Mastery in my deck (didn't have it in my hand, but I had seven cards so I definitely could have!) and I was hoping I could get him to stop at 1 or 2 to play around it then shoot the Oracle with a push I had. Everyone certainly has more non-Baleful Mastery removal spells in their decks than Baleful Masterys so I think he made the right call, but I was wondering what you guys think. Pact kind of drives me nuts, but I do think some of the mind games around it with BM and Prismari Ultimatum are cool.

The number of times i've even had someone try to baleful mastery me versus other stuff to disrupt the combo is low enough i'm going to 0 because there are just way more cards that could disrupt it if i don't unless I have azcanta and can play it safe and leave it at one. Plus if i'm going off without having countermagic ready to back it up i'm already either on the back foot or i'm pretty sure you can't stop it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

So, I haven't played Magic since literally Arabian Nights but decided to get back into it. Did the intro stuff, freebies, etc, and tried a couple quick drafts. Second one wound up with this: https://sealeddeck.tech/pPpwM9mmSs

I *think* that's the right maindeck for that pool? (And even knowing that quickdraft is a bit different, wouldn't mind any critique of the draft itself: https://www.17lands.com/user/latest_draft/9213ce70221a4d48989561281df5e7c6 - I think looking at it, the biggest change would be to have taken Quandrix Cultivator instead of Wandering Archaic?)

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

axeil posted:

Historic Brawl is for playing dumb janky poo poo and I'm not even aware of there being tryhard decks. Maybe some Omnath deck I guess? I dunno. I just enjoyed playing with my dinosaur deck, wall deck, bolas tribal deck, chandra tribal deck, etc.

My experience is that's it's all unfair nonsense with jank decks getting pushed out. Niv Mizzet, Omnath, Esika, anything with Paradox Engine. I wish I could do fun stuff like my Yorion panharmonicon blink deck, but it just gets run over by broken stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kalman posted:

So, I haven't played Magic since literally Arabian Nights but decided to get back into it. Did the intro stuff, freebies, etc, and tried a couple quick drafts. Second one wound up with this: https://sealeddeck.tech/pPpwM9mmSs

I *think* that's the right maindeck for that pool? (And even knowing that quickdraft is a bit different, wouldn't mind any critique of the draft itself: https://www.17lands.com/user/latest_draft/9213ce70221a4d48989561281df5e7c6 - I think looking at it, the biggest change would be to have taken Quandrix Cultivator instead of Wandering Archaic?)

That deck has 43 cards. I think I'd cut some creatures. Higher spell density goes well with Rootha and the Quandrix Pledgemages.

I'd take out Honor Troll, Graff, and a Runner, and maybe switch in a Colony for the second Runner.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Revol posted:

A couple weeks back I asked for feedback on my modified Gruul starter deck and I took all the advice... except I insisted on holding onto Warden of the Chain, arguing that a three drop 4/4 trample is too good to pass up, even with the limiting ability. Well, over the last couple days, I've really felt that limit. I'd had a bad run, and I felt like several games were due to Warden holding me back. A major problem is when I have Warden and another +4 power creature, the opponent can get that creature off the board and now my Warden is neutered. It became an outcome that I kept coming across.

Tonight I went back and took the advice I was given before. Dropped the four Wardens for two Primal Might and two Lovestruck Beast (needed to craft one). After this change I had four straight wins at Silver rank. Both Primal and Lovestruck made sizable impacts.

It's good that you had an idea, ran with it to it's conclusion and incorporated suggestions. Even if everyone is telling you to do something meta it doesn't hurt to try your own thing cause that's how you develop your card evaluating skills. Lots of people don't even bother to figure to test things out themselves.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Fish Of Doom posted:

My experience is that's it's all unfair nonsense with jank decks getting pushed out. Niv Mizzet, Omnath, Esika, anything with Paradox Engine. I wish I could do fun stuff like my Yorion panharmonicon blink deck, but it just gets run over by broken stuff.

This was my mistake when I first got into brawl back when it came to Arena around ELD. I thought it would be the 'fun' format and no, it is not the fun format. Brawl is the broken nonsense format. Historic brawl is probably slightly fairer than standard brawl though because there are cheap powerful answers to break combos and it's harder for opponents to combo off then it would be in a regular historic match if you have disruption. It's definitely not the jank format though.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
How do draft packs on arena work? I though I knew, but now I was passed this in bot draft:

btw. Honor Troll looks like the correct pick for my deck, but I will raredraft bc I need a copy of Teachings for my standard decks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Strixhaven has a regular rare slot, a Lesson slot (which can be Common, Rare or Mythic Rare) and a Mystical Archives slot (Uncommon, Rare or Mythic Rare). So you can open three rares if both of the special slots happen to be rare.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Strixhaven has a regular rare slot, a Lesson slot (which can be Common, Rare or Mythic Rare) and a Mystical Archives slot (Uncommon, Rare or Mythic Rare). So you can open three rares if both of the special slots happen to be rare.

Thanks, I didn't know about the lesson slot.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Does the Lesson slot not have any Uncommons in it? Huh.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/7c03481143d14390b320257e5d6692d7

Trophied that, super pleased with it. Tonnes of lesson/learn, and the mixture of Exponential Growth, Pugilist, Vortex Runner, Wormhole Serpent and Double Major really pulled a lot fo things together. Basically just gumming up the board with the wall or a bunch of big fractals whilst developing the manabase to swing with a 64/8 trample, or an unblockable big boi, or just to kill the opposing board with Decisive Denial and occasional combat tricks.

I did get lucky, though, I'm a little lighter on direct removal than I would have preferred. And I was desperately hoping to pull off the win with the other side of Pugilist, and swing with a whole board of unblockable creatures or fliers or whatever, but it never worked out, and the one match where I tried to go super wide then do it I was against a super wide opponent and ended up losing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s incredibly frustrating how Brawl is just utterly dominated by like 10 top end cards and how just a banlist with more curation would be amazing.

What’s frustrating is that we don’t know anything about Brawl at all. Who is the Brawl team? What do they want Brawl to be? Do any of them even play Brawl, or Commander? If we’ve already banned cards for being unfun bullshit that causes people to just quit immediately, why even allow those cards to begin with?

I have tweeted a Magic’s arena Twitter account asking questions about Brawl since it came into existence and I’ve never had a single response. The arena account has responded to other questions about limited or questions about currencies, but never any response from me or anyone else around Brawl. It’s just weird because WotC is usually more transparent around formats than this.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
When Brawl first came to MTGO, it ended up being the Baral Show for way too long until it just died as a format and everyone went back to Commander. My feeling is that some people at Wizards like the format but don't have enough time to really work on it, while the person in charge of actually allocating people to work on things just loving hates it for some reason.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jabor posted:

When Brawl first came to MTGO, it ended up being the Baral Show for way too long until it just died as a format and everyone went back to Commander. My feeling is that some people at Wizards like the format but don't have enough time to really work on it, while the person in charge of actually allocating people to work on things just loving hates it for some reason.

If Commander was ever brought to Arena, Brawl would die instantly. I think people only play it cuz it's kind of close enough to Commander.

I think this is also why Historic Brawl isn't a thing, they know everyone will just migrate to playing Historic Brawl and regular Brawl will die. But since it's basically already dead in paper I have no idea why they care. No one is cracking packs on Arena for the purposes of making a normal Brawl deck.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Standard Brawl would be a great thing for new players to play while they wait for their historic collection to grow.

We’re never going to see Commander on Arena because frankly I really don’t think the game can handle 4 boards at once. Like the game can’t handle one Scute Swarm going off, how could it possibly handle Storm going off on top of infinite Scute Swarm triggers while two other players counter and remove poo poo.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 10, 2021

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Boils my blood particularly 'cause it's not hard to write a card game client that doesn't gobble up all the resources, and is not tightly coupled to the completion of its animations.

There's no technical reason for MtG:A to be so client-side demanding other than that they're doing it wrong.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Leaving aside the multiplayer aspect EDH would require them to backfill not only 25 years of standard sets but also a tonne of critical supplemental products. It'd take a very long time to introduce the format.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
You could still say "only 1v1 Commander and only cards that are available on Arena" which would take almost no technical budget whatsoever.

But I think the original devs were all contractors who are gone now which is why there haven't been any new features in almost a year. poo poo maybe more than a year? When did we get the working friends list?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That sounds like an awful format though.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hammer Bro. posted:

Boils my blood particularly 'cause it's not hard to write a card game client that doesn't gobble up all the resources, and is not tightly coupled to the completion of its animations.

There's no technical reason for MtG:A to be so client-side demanding other than that they're doing it wrong.

Just being able to turn off extraneous animations would make it so much more playable on lower end platforms and mobile, and it boggles my mind that they don't allow it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

axeil posted:

You could still say "only 1v1 Commander and only cards that are available on Arena" which would take almost no technical budget whatsoever.

But I think the original devs were all contractors who are gone now which is why there haven't been any new features in almost a year. poo poo maybe more than a year? When did we get the working friends list?

That’s just Historic Brawl with 99 cards instead of 60, and at that point why bother?

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

The animations melted my iPad (that is maybe only a couple years old), so now I can only play on my phone or PC. It would be great to turn off animations, but since that won’t move packs, I won’t hold my breath.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
There are people who don't like the new Faithless Looting art???

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Yoked posted:

The animations melted my iPad (that is maybe only a couple years old), so now I can only play on my phone or PC. It would be great to turn off animations, but since that won’t move packs, I won’t hold my breath.

Arena literally runs faster and smoother on my phone than my cheap laptop and it's driving me crazy. Just let me turn off some of the crap that's slowing it down :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

WOTC requires contestants use the lowest graphical settings during streamed tournaments. Just an FYI bit of mostly useless information.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I am doing a quick draft to convert some gold to gems. What is the deal with the check marks and fractions on the top right corners of cards?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

wolfman101 posted:

I am doing a quick draft to convert some gold to gems. What is the deal with the check marks and fractions on the top right corners of cards?

When you press alt it shows you how many copies of a card are already in your collection. Check mark means you already have 4.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Rinkles posted:

When you press alt it shows you how many copies of a card are already in your collection. Check mark means you already have 4.

Thank you!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

axeil posted:

Isn't that historic brawl with all PW commanders bannded?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s also absolutely no point in making a 1v1 format with 40 life and the arena card pool, that would be a completely solved format by the end of the day in which red/white cards would have absolutely no value.

Brawl absolutely failed when it tried to be “diet commander with smaller decks” but as its own, online only 1v1 singleton format, it’s actually a pretty cool way to play magic! There is no shame is just having Brawl be the Arena equivalent to Commander.

Not to mention that the MTGO Commander community is widely regarded by basically everyone to be a cesspit with only the worst and whiniest players in the queues and anyone who wants to play commander on their computers just does so with paper cards on Spelltable w/ discord instead for a 10,000x better experience.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
How does the game hand duplicate protection once you hit four of a specific card? Googling around and pretty much everything talks about a Vault which has apparently been removed from the game

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Idk I like historic brawl just fine and my definitely not top tier Naya dinos deck was still easily able to get 5 wins and then some. I didn't see many of the 5c commander decks so my guess is people are playing commanders that are less jank than they want to believe and the matchmaker is reflecting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you have 4 copies of a single rare or mythic the game won't give you another copy, instead giving you a card at the same rarity you don't have.

If you get 4 copies of every single rare in a set you'll start getting 20 gems when you'd open another rare. Separately but similarly with mythics, getting you 40 gems.

Commons and uncommons go into the vault, giving you a fraction of a percent towards opening it and getting 3 uncommon, 2 rare and 1 mythic wildcard.