Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I've had decent success with Green, as long as it wasn't paired with White. I really wish we had human drafts though, it's a bit tiresome running into mill so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I got my 5 wins with good old mono blue with the addition of 2 Brazen Borrowers. Played against a lot of Esper and Jeskai control so it went well

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Just about finished my Theros set through a combination of Trad Drafts and the Metagame Challenge. Mono R with Anax has been doing very well for me. I'm still chasing that elusive 7 win run but I'm at a 77% event winrate thanks to all the durdly decks out there. I might even do the ranked grind with this once the event's over. It's a combination of Mengucci's list and a list I found on r/spikes. The sideboard's still a work in progress but it's performing well in the event meta.

Deck
4 Runaway Steam-Kin (GRN) 115
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
4 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
4 Shock (M20) 160
4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
4 Embercleave (ELD) 120
4 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
4 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
4 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
4 Anax, Hardened in the Forge (THB) 125
2 Infuriate (THB) 141
2 Phoenix of Ash (THB) 148
16 Mountain (THB) 285

Sideboard
3 Experimental Frenzy (GRN) 99
4 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
1 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame (M20) 126
4 Unchained Berserker (M20) 164
3 Redcap Melee (ELD) 135

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Waffleopolis posted:

Well this sure is a giant pile of power I got in my sealed.

Red and white sucked. Here's a thinkpile of card that I can work with.

Either Dimir with a splash of green for some stuff or Golgari with a blue splash for Ashiok.

What do you all think

That's a ridiculous pool. It's times like this I really wish Arena sealed was bo3 so you could bust out the other deck after game 1.

It's either straight Dimir or Golgari Splashiok imo, it's harder to pull in sealed than draft but you actually have some great blue cards for UB control

Dimir
1x Lampad of Death's Vigil
1x Mire Triton
1x Riptide Turtle
2x Naiad of Hidden Coves
1x Callaphe, Beloved of the Sea
1x Underworld Charger
1x Gravebreaker Lamia

1x Agonising Remorse
1x Mire's Grasp
1x Medomai's Prophecy
1x Ichthyomorphosis
3x Deny the Divine
1x Inevitable End
1x Pharika's Libation
1x Inevitable End
1x Entrancing Lyre
1x Drag to the Underworld
2x Final Death
1x Ashiok, Nightmare Muse

8 Swamps
9 Islands

Golgari
1x Lampad of Death's Vigil
1x Mire Triton
1x Skola Grovedancer
1x Loathsome Chimera
1x Setessan Champion
1x Underworld Charger
1x Hyrax Tower Scout
1x Nylea's Huntmaster
1x Voracious Typhon
1x Nyxborn Marauder (2 pips for gary and Setessan Champion trigger)
1x Gravebreaker Lamia
1x Gray Merchant of Asphodel

1x Agonising Remorse
1x Warbriar Blessing
1x Mire's Grasp
1x Altar of the Pantheon
1x The First Iroan Games
1x Drag to the Underworld
1x Mantle of the Wolf
2x Final Death
1x Ashiok, Nightmare Muse

We're at 22 cards here but 12 might be creature light for BG. Lyre, Relentless Pursuit or a 2-drop would be my pick for the 23rd.

2 Islands
8 Swamps
7 Forests

I'm leaning UB, you don't get to play your bomb green rares but none of them are as good as Ashiok. Play Golgari + Ashiok if you're unfamiliar with the format and are not sure what to use counterspells on.

e: land numbers

wei fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 27, 2020

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Please assist, and critique the hell out of me:

Be gentle (not really, let me have it) :ohdear:

P1P8: I would have taken Naiad over Sage, Sage is just a terrible card.
P1P11: With the beginnings of a UB control shell I'd have gone Deny over Kraken. In my experience UB tends to not have many ways to trigger constellation.
P1P12: Turtle is very good for reasons Lone Goat already mentioned. Even if you're not a UB deck that leans heavily into control, they're still good to gum up the ground while your evasive threats win the game.

P2P1: I think Omen of the Sea is worth discussing here, it's probably the best blue common and card filtering is important in control. It's a close one between Devourer and Omen for me. It turns out that Devourer is the right pick here, since you do get an Omen, Thirst and Glimpse later on.
P2P3: I don't like Berserker in this archetype, Deny the Divine makes it into the deck more often.
P2P5: Like Lone Goat said, Unknown Shores should never be in a 2 colour deck. Omen of the Dead is more likely to be played here (though it probably doesn't make the final cut), with 2 self-mill cards and a high-value target to recur (Nightmare Shepherd). Even Alirios who is great ground fodder is a fine target.
P2P10: Turtle

I'd go with Lone Goat's suggestions for deck construction, it's a shame the only Mogis's Favor was in P1P1. I might still play 1 Hateful Eidolon but it's debatable. The deck is serviceable and should get a few wins just from playing out threats and killing stuff with the efficient removal.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Don't play Amulet in 2 colour decks. Rage-Hound is a solid card and would be your only escape creature, play it. Triumph of Anax is fine with this many 2-drops.

-Amulet -Temple Thief(or Infuriate) +Rage-Hound +Triumph of Anax

I like Skophos Warleader but I think you have to lean aggro with how your draft turned out. I would try to get a bunch of chip damage in early, then close out the game with Gary + Omens and/or Lampad activations.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I prefer bo3 draft because I don't enjoy the variance in bo1, especially in M21 where in my experience going first matters more than it did in other formats. In Plat and up a large portion of the field is aggressive decks for good reason. If you don't keep up with limited podcasts/streams, this might be helpful:

Unless you open a Rare/Mythic bomb in P1, you should look to draft an aggressive deck. The only card at uncommon that would encourage me to draft a midrange/control deck is Teferi's Tutelage. Even if you get these bombs, you must have a plan for early game interaction. Walls and generic 2-drops are fine if you weren't lucky enough to pick up 1-3CMC removal.

Prioritise picking 2-3 drops/removal over 4+ ones, because there are enough options at 4+. Basri's Acolyte and Roaming Ghostlight are the only irreplaceable common/uncommon creatures at 4+ CMC. The 5 CMC removal spells are average in a format this fast. I'd play an absolute maximum of 2 copies, but am usually happy with 1.

Red has the greatest depth in commons and is usually good to go into early if nothing stands out. I personally like White because it's a good base for aggressive decks and combines well with most colours, with WB being the exception. I'd say Blue is tied with White for 2nd best colour, and UR is probably the colour pair with most depth and build options.

Green can be great if it's underdrafted. A late Drowsing Tyrannodon is usually a good indication of this, card is great in any deck. Black's weakest because it only has two good commons in Grasp and Thallid. Grasp costs BB, which encourages going heavy black but its depth of commons can't support that regularly.

If I had to roughly rank the pairs I'd do them like this:

T1: UR, RW, GW, RB
T2: UW, RG, WB
T3: GB, UB

I haven't drafted UG yet but if I had to guess it'd be T2. I have UB at the bottom because reanimator is clunky and the pair tends toward control decks. GB can be fine if they're open in your draft but the colour pair has the lowest depth in commons.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm surprised aggro is so good just because lifegain seems unusually solid this time around, and kinda eats aggro for breakfast. My first 3-0 basically won two sets off 3x Trufflesnout blowing out more aggressive decks, using them to gain life and then either chumpblock or sac them for Goremand or the 4CMC 3/4 that draws you a card.

The incidental lifegain is okay in this set. The best way to leverage it is still to be aggressive enough to race or have bombs to play in the late-game. Combat tricks, +1/+1 counters and Prowess are cheap and good this set, which makes blocking a bad prospect when you tap out on turn 4 or 5 to play a blocker. In M21, the stat lines for common/uncommon 4-5 CMC creatures aren't much better than 2-3 CMC ones, and are usually not too difficult for the aggressor to overcome. Cards that were bad in older formats, like Short Sword and Dub are very much C- playables in M21.

I haven't had much luck building around lifegain payoffs. Most of them are uncommon or higher, and cards like Indulging Patrician and Griffin Aerie are clunky if you're not the aggressor because they only trigger on your turn. I had a 7-2 WB deck that was just an aggressive deck where the lifegain was mostly incidental.

Wezlar posted:

Lack of sideboarding sucks but the main thing I don't like about bo1 draft is the hand smoother and the metagame around it.

Yeah, for those unaware the meta in higher ranks is to jam aggressive 16-land decks to take advantage of the smoother. It invalidates a lot of other strategies when aggro decks can curve out consistently.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

I'm mostly saying the same things others already have, but here goes:

P1P2: Already commented on a bunch but Scorching Dragonfire is the correct pick here.
P1P3: Feat of Resistance, Houndmaster, Weird and Tyrannodon are all better cards. Don't commit to an archetype this early if it means picking cards like Capture Sphere over those. I would speculate on Houndmaster here, but Feat of Resistance is also very good if you want your second colour to remain open.
P1P8: The white shrine is bad, a Pegasus is fine. The red and green cards are fine too if you want to start thinking about a second colour.

P2P1: Blue was cut in pack 1, so it's either Eliminate or Seasoned Hallowblade. I'm leaning Hallowblade because it's busted and your black cards aren't good enough to commit to yet.
P2P4: Basri's Solidarity is more proactive than the black Sanctum. After playing with/against it a couple times, I don't think the black Sanctum is as good as Ill-Gotten Inheritence was in RNA.
P2P5: Dub is playable here, your two drops are all good targets.

P3P3: Silversmote Ghoul is too late to pick here without already having better lifegain enablers. I think Thallid or Gale Swooper is the pick over Finishing Blow, since you already have 2 5CMC removal spells.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

I did my first M21 draft, but it sounds like this format is a bit faster than people expected, is that right? Does this seem like a good build, or should I try to lower my curve a bit?

RB seemed very open considering the amount of late removal flying around, but it was all 5 cmc stuff so now I'm wondering if the format is too fast for that. Thanks!

I'd run two 5 CMC removal spells at most, so +Igneous Cur -Turn To Slag.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Toozler posted:

Did first M21 Draft. Rares were uh, pretty good. In hindsight I think cat over the sage but rest seem ok. Decided we missed enough 4 power to play Rise and to just play a mountain instead of the RG tapland due to fairly vanilla mana costs. Thoughts?

Draft
Deck

e: Is Furor of the Bitten a bait? Maniacal Rage was sick in the right deck

P2P4: Bronto is a great 3-drop. Jester is good but RG usually has no trouble finding creatures in the 5+ CMC slot.
P2P6: I like Track Down more here, it's a very solid card.
P2P10: Setessan Training is a fine playable and sleepy dino enabler, not sure why we picked the white card.
P3P4: Magmutt over Trufflesnout, at this point we only have 2 good 2-drops and 5 3-drops.

Agreeing with the other deck advice, Furious Rise over Traitorous Greed. Playing one gainland won't hurt too much since you have no 1-drops and Bronto is 1GG.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Agreed with everything, there was a very strong UR spells deck up for grabs here. It's kinda crazy how open red was, so we didn't really get punished for waffling on the second colour. P1P7 and P3P8 Shock, lol? I'm also pretty low on Enthralling Hold for the same reasons I don't like the 5 CMC removal spells in this aggro meta.

Speaking of aggro, these were my last two drafts. They're a good example of how aggressive I want to be in this format.

BO1
Draft
Deck

In P2P2 I raredraft and P2P3 pick a 1-drop over Swift Response, a card which I do not want to be playing in an aggressive white deck. Wildwood Scourges smoothed out the curve nicely and I was fine with playing them as 2 mana 1/1s because of all the +1/+1 token generators I had. Went 7-2 here, boards just went out of control if opponents had no early interaction.

BO3
Draft
Deck

P1P3 is interesting. Dino or Vito were probably correct but I'm very low on black this set. I don't usually force colours or archetypes but ended up going with Acolyte due to biases. Burn Bright was offered a few times but my brain glosses over it for some reason. They would have been playable in this deck but I think Destructive Tampering is the better finisher. P3P3 I should have picked the sideboard card over the raredraft but forgot I was in BO3. P3P4 should have been Swooper. This deck finished all 6 games in 20 minutes, was kinda silly.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

The Klowner posted:

I was less confident than I probably should have been because I thought my UR line wasn't very good after pack 1. I was really hoping to see some of the key blue uncommons like riddle form, jeskai elder, dowser, tutelage. Instead I just saw a lot of red, or red in the same pack as blue, and I figured it was easier to flex into R splash something in case UR didn't work out. Seeing a Pack 1 pick 14 turn to slag was also a big "hmm" moment for me because, sure it's a 5 Mana removal spell in an aggressive format, but was a five Mana removal spell really the absolute worst thing in the pack besides return to nature? Looking back at the pick, someone picked a loving tormod's crypt over this thing. Maybe it's a bad read but I don't think even the worst red spell should ever be near last picked in this format. I didn't see what I wanted to see in pack 2 so I started looking for an out and settled on RW after the pick 9 feat of resistance.

That was a good read on R being open. Red's the deepest colour in M21 and Shock still being available P1P7 was another big indication that red was open. I think your notion of what a good UR deck needs is incorrect. Riddleform and Elder are nice but not essential. Tutelage and Dowser belong more in control/midrange style of UR decks, which imo is not what you want to be doing given your card pool in the middle of pack 2. You can build a good UR deck on the depth and quality of their commons, just like you can with GW or RW.

Before you switched into White you had 3 big threats in Mistral Singer, Weird and Immolator, backed up by a host of good 2-drops and cheap spells. Your other Blue cards already fit in the deck: Opt, Rousing Read, Keen Glidemaster. Without the knowledge of what's in pack 3, and recalling that red is open, you can expect to pick up a few more of the typical threats in UR. The rest of the picks can be cheap spells or removal and you'll have a good aggressive UR deck.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

The Klowner posted:

...for a Rousing Read. Overload reads as very clunky to me, it's a late game card for an aggressive archetype. It's a completely dead draw in the early game which really matters in this format. Rousing Read on the other hand enables my 3 larcenists and turns my jeskai elder into a two-card storming entity. They both replace themselves but I think this deck should want a flying threat now over a large body later. I could be wrong though. Overload seems like the weakest of the signpost uncommons to me besides the indulging aristocrat. also I got one in the very next pick (over cancel and tome anima, shrug) so it all worked out :)

I'm surprised that's what you've seized on in this draft, I feel like I could have had a really great G-x deck somewhere in there. Also I passed a grasp of darkness for a conspicuous snoop, lol

This was a tough draft, pack 1 was pretty horrendous in terms of card quality. You should have stuck to UG, it was open from seeing P5 Burlfist Oak P6 Lorescale Coatl P7 Visionary P8 Ghostlight P13 dual. There were no good red cards being passed in round 1 so it was a bad idea to go into it in pack 2. Overload's up there with the best gold uncommons imo, with the GW and RW ones. Rousing Read is good but Overload was better at the time given you only had 1 okay 4-drop.

Frost Breath is more of a tempo/aggro oriented card, it's usually not going to buy you much meaningful time in a slower deck. I really dislike Larcenist, like Skyscanner is a mediocre card in this format and Larcenist needs a turn before you maybe get a card off it. Maybe -Larcenist - Frost Breath +Tome Anima/Sentinel +Megalodon?

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I think UG is the one of the better midrange decks to answer the aggressive decks in M21 limited. I don't really draft them myself but I've run into a few that have been challenging for my mostly aggro decks. RG is alright and I'm not impressed at all by GB.

If you're pairing Green with White I would almost always build it with a very low curve. If you get Conclave Mentors it's a monster of a deck, but its main strength is that it has access to the best 1-3 drops, and 2 hexproof/protection instants at common. One knock against it is the manabases tend to be awkward as you usually want W on turn one and G on turn two. This is what my typical decks look like:

This deck had some subpar creatures but it was basically carried by 3x Feat of Resistance and 2x Selfless Savior.

This is one of the more high power decks I can get if green's open. I lost both games I played Baneslayer Angel in, but both decks went 3-0 in BO3.

wei fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 3, 2020

wei
Jul 27, 2006

The Klowner posted:

Something I find really difficult to assess in draft is the cost of speculation in pack 1. Like when is it better to cut off a certain color or archetype versus taking the best card in the pack regardless of my pool? Is it better to stake a claim or grab the good stuff and hope it rounds out in pack 2? I'm sure there are different approaches to it but I feel like the nuance of signaling is what I need to focus on to improve, besides general gameplay skills

It depends on the format, in M21 there is a sharp drop in quality on the tier list of commons, so it's difficult to get enough playables if you commit too early to a colour that's being cut. M21 isn't like THB where you might be okay sticking to UW at all costs (still probably shouldn't do this) after opening Dream Trawler.

The easiest signal for me to pick up on is seeing C+ or better cards come mid to late pack 1. Try to note which colours are being cut. To use your last draft as an example I think Sure Strike and Igneous Cur were the only okay red cards that were offered in pack 1. I try to remain open until there are a good number of cards of a colour I'm happy to play, whether my first pick is included in these or not. Using your draft again, Coatl is a mild signal but you're offered one each of the top 3 commons in U and G in picks 7 and 8. This was a tough pack, and the pool of playables is like 5 cards at the end of pack 1 but I can only commit and hope that the person to the right stays consistent in pack 3, and that the person to the left picks up on UG being cut.

It's difficult to learn/explain good drafting through words. The thing that's helped me the most is to watch other good limited players draft and deckbuild. I like the Lords of Limited guys for this, they have a podcast and a bunch of things on YouTube.

Tom Gorman posted:

Would you splash blue for the Whale in this draft deck?

No, having a 7/7 mana base for your main colours will cost you games. As good as Whale is, I don't think you have enough rise agains or discard outlets to warrant splashing for a UU creature. You have enough late game plays without it and should lean into the efficient removal to just dominate the board from the start.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Best card in p1p1 is Selfless Savior. You were basically never going to be W, you can't play 3 white sources for a 2 drop. P3P3 taking a wall over Palladium Myr is the only other major mistake imo, this deck would love the ramp and running a third wall just to make Chrome Replicator is a bad idea. Shame there were no Pridemalkins on offer.

The deck wants to be aggressive with those 2-drops and Short Swords but you're putting 3 walls in the deck, just to possibly trigger Replicator? I've had built it like -3 Vines -Replicator +Pitchburn Devils +Turret Ogre +Fungal Rebirth +Ranger's Guile

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Yeah I like starting Chorister over Arsonist, the lifelink is relevant in aggro mirrors. Haven't liked Furor all that much, I would have played Feat number 4 over it.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Death of Rats posted:

Would anyone mind having a quick look at my draft?

Is mono-red viable, or should I splash into Rakdos?

Mono-Red build: https://www.17lands.com/deck/c55c368dfb4c4f58bdb851cb92015533/0
Rakdos build: https://www.17lands.com/deck/c55c368dfb4c4f58bdb851cb92015533/1

Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/c55c368dfb4c4f58bdb851cb92015533

You need to draft 2-drops, this format is fast. -2 Ogre -1 Slag +Burn Bright +Thrill +Cur. Burn Bright is good with 2 Wizardry and 4 Weird. Just go 9 Mountains 7 Swamps and tapland, your red spells are easy to cast and this manabase is slightly better for Embrace.

edit: yeah the scryland over another swamp is good too

P1P2: Riddleform is the best card. Goremand is also better than Replicator
P1P3: Demonic Embrace is one of only three black cards I'd first pick over any (un)common, so this is a pretty big signal
P1P5: Close one but I think I go Thallid here, Embrace is enough of a pull into black. Red does look pretty open though so Weird is a good hedge.
P1P6: Anima is not a good card at all. Skeleton Archer is decent and in a colour you want to play. Crash Through is steadily moving up my pick order and triggers Weird
P1P8: Pack confirms red is open, Ogre is super medium and rarely makes the cut so the 2-drop is the pick.

P2P2: Grasp has the highest upside, Ogre doesn't come close
P2P4: Heartfire Immolator is one of the best two drops in the set
P2P6: ^
P2P8: Thallid or Short Sword, we never play more than 2 Slags

P3P3: Vito is the second of three black cards I'd first pick. We have nearly 20 playables in red so Wizardry is also a fine pick
P3P6: Hellkite here, it's a good curve topper and Skyscanner is pretty weak in this format
P3P8: Magmutt, 2-drop
P3P9: Sure Strike. Combat tricks are excellent in M21

wei fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 5, 2020

wei
Jul 27, 2006
P2P5 Early enough in the draft that I'm fine with the raredraft, I've been guilty of this all week.
P2P8 Legion's Judgment for the sideboard

Idol's fine, I think it's just a C playable. I like it in the sideboard mostly, but I don't think this deck ever wants it. Nine Lives was a cute possible sideboard card too but it was competing with Rousing Read. Draft and deck look good, UW is great when it comes together.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

ex post facho posted:

just drafted a R/W doggro deck with 7x dogs including pack leader :haw: also managed to pull Angelic Ascension AND Containment Priest, which just seems unfair

could still make 2 cuts. thinking tampering can go, but not sure what else. revitalize? burn bright? maybe daybreak charger in, burn bright out.

-tapland -Arsonist -Furor -Revitalize -Swift Response
+Shieldmate +Daybreak Charger +Sure Strike +2 Hobblefiend

is how I would have run it. This takes us from 13 to 16 creatures that can attack. Revitalize is bad and Swift Response is mediocre when you're the beatdown. 16 lands is enough because the curve tops out with 1 card at 5 CMC and all the mana costs are 1 colour pip at most.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Rhaegar posted:

My goodness black was wide open in this draft. Do I go mono black or splash the good red stuff?

We need red for early game interaction. The black lifegain payoffs are not worth playing with how little lifegain we have.

In: 2 Shock, Magmutt, Warmonger, Fetid Imp, Skeleton Archer
Out: Village Rites, Lili's Steward, Archfiend's Vessel, Silversmote Ghoul, Caged Zombie, Sanguine Indulgence

I don't know if Geyser makes the cut, it's underwhelming as a removal spell and I think we don't need a burn spell if we get to the Goremand recursion stage of the game.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

P1P7: Pretty minor but I prefer the Hobblefiend here, I usually don't play taplands if the deck ends up being fairly aggressive
P1P10: Short Sword for the Prowess triggers, really don't like Ogre and the 3-drop slot is hopefully full of Weirds and Singers. People seem to have started wising up to Short Sword being a good card and I'm not always getting them late anymore.
P1P13: I take the first Burn Bright over Short Sword if I have a Wizardry already

P2P5: Crash Through > Geyser. With 4 Prowess creatures and Riddleform we want all the cantrips

P3P1: I think Burn Bright and Sure Strike are both better tricks, but haven't really given Unleash a chance. Sure Strike tends to be more versatile and lets you eat your opponents creatures, it just lets you do things like a Colossal Dreadmaw with a goblin token.
P3P4: Barrin's probably the better card in a vacuum but with only 1 cantrip so far I think this deck would love Opt
P3P6: Tutelage is a great build-around but with the way our deck is shaping up I'm on Ghostlight or even Capture Sphere. We only have two draw spells so this shouldn't be a consideration at this stage in the draft.

Overall pretty good draft, note that most of the things I pointed out are fairly minor differences. You probably picked up the higher grade cards in most of them but our picks are encouraging us to build towards a very specific archetype. It's not something that's apparent until you're more familiar with the format.

Out: 1x Swiftwater Cliffs, Unleash Fury, Read The Tides
In: Short Sword, Burn Bright, Jeskai Elder

If this is bo1 I'm going with a low curve 16 land deck whenever possible. Short Sword gives us another early spell trigger and helps get in more chip damage. Burn Bright is really good with Goblin Wizardry and will sometimes kill opponents out of nowhere if they try to race you.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I don't know if there's rank-based matchmaking in draft pods. You can just chalk it up to variance and walk away but it's worth reviewing your draft/play and understanding that every decision matters. I would have ended up with a 15 or 16 land deck if I were in your seat to abuse the bo1 hand smoother, for example.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I'm making a profit on gems from drafting for the first time in a format. A huge part of it is thanks to their content and the discussions that happen on that Discord. Can't recommend them enough if you're interested in Limited.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

The Klowner posted:

Are you playing bo1 or bo3? What's your winrate? I've been watching a lot of LoL and BenS but I just can't seem to get the hang of this one, my winrate is utterly abysmal but I'm doing bo1. Not sure if I would have better success in bo3 but this format does feel very swingy because of its aggressive meta. Either you have a turn 1-2-3-4 combo with land drops or you lose

BO3. It was 78% in the first week and then 70% in the second week, average 73.5% over 33 drafts. I stopped drafting a few days ago because I was past rare set completion and wasn't confident in staying gem positive going into the third week. Going infinite in bo1 is a tall order with how the ladder works.

The bo3 field is pretty soft compared to bo1. I've piloted a few trainwreck drafts to 2-1 because of my opponents' mistakes and bad deckbuilding. Bo3 allows other archetypes to compete because aggro decks stumble or mulligan more without the hand smoother. That said, I still feel that aggressive decks are more cohesive and come together more often than midrange/control, even with people starting to wise up.

Pretty much everything Kanfy has said is spot on (though I think Rb tempo can be good, and I dislike taplands in aggro). Combat tricks are great (Feat is busted) and allow aggro decks to prioritise drafting removal lower. If I had to sum up M21 limited, I'd say every successful deck has to have early game plays, even if it's generic 2-drops or walls.

The 17Lands recent trophy decks page is a good place to see what sorts of decks are doing well.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

The Klowner posted:

I didn't consider the fact that bo3 has no matchmaking. That said, I'm not very confident of my chances. I imagine the only people who play bo3 are the enfranchised and experienced drafters. I'm still an amateur.

As an experiment I did a few quick drafts with aggressive raredrafting and I found that, at least in my experience, the draft bots really undervalue green and white. I've basically been farming with GW over the past two days, the worst I've done is 3-3.

At some point I think I will try bo3 again just for the experience. Not consistently going 2-1 or 3-0 there is really punishing economically, especially since you can't redeem your draft cards for cash or gems or anything.

Thanks for the tip, I might do some quick drafts to convert gold to gems. People are coming to consensus over GW being the best archetype and it's certainly my best performing one.

edit: Managed to go 7-1 with 4 Drowsy Tyrannodons in a GW deck. Bots are undervaluing it compared to humans (17Lands data), and humans were already undervaluing sleepy dino.

Yeah that prize structure is punishing, but it's the best way to burn gems in MTGA limited because of the lack of matchmaking. I'd recommend at least trying it at the start of a new format when competition is the softest. There aren't many people with a high enough WR past Platinum to stay infinite in bo1. I feel like if you're actively trying to improve, you'll lose fewer gems in bo3 than in bo1 in the long run.

wei fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 12, 2020

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

You know red is open when you're getting pick six soul sears. No rousing reads is a bit rough, though.

How would y'all build this? I swear the hardest part for me in every format is figuring out which cards 20-24 to run.

Nice draft. -Lofty -Cancel -Swiftwater Cliffs +Glidemaster +Sure Strike +Island. Larcenist for Arsonist maybe?

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I agree that Cancel is better than Larcenist in that slot, a 1/2 doesn't do much for this deck's plan.

Lofty's best early on, but your only flyer is 5 CMC. The usual best case scenario is nabbing their turn 2-4 play but I think this deck would rather just be developing Weird/Wizardry on those turns. Sure Strike is more proactive and should outperform Lofty most of the time.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the crucial question:

Do you play all five shocks?

Show us the sideboard

wei
Jul 27, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

currently hoping to cut the cancel, i don't know if there's anything i bring in. i'd probably be running three frantics if i had them, but not two.

-Slag -Protege -Cancel -Read the Tides -Shock +Bolt Hound +Turret Ogre +2 Frantic Inventory

Most games should be over before you get to 6 mana so I don't see Read the Tides being cast. This sort of deck really wants cantrips for consistency and prowess fuel, and 2 Frantics is fine. Alternatively, you can keep the 5th Shock, leave Frantics out, and put in another Lofty or Burn Bright.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Yeah, you're right. Was thinking the deck needed more ways to push damage through but Burn Bright is likely going to be worse than another spell a lot of the time.

e:beaten

ELD premier draft 7/24-7/31
DOM premier draft 7/31-8/14

wei fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 15, 2020

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Sure, but in the context of this deck I think they're fine. I believe cantrips are crucial for UR spells but I left the option of Shock 5 & Lofty vs. 2 Frantics to the OP because it's a close call.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Grifter posted:

Looking for feedback and help with the build on an M21 draft.

Draft
Pool

Current Deck

My plan is to try to play a fast aggro/tempo where I try to hit them with flyers while locking down key threats with Frost Breath and Capture Sphere. Bonus if I can slap some +1/+1 counters in there somewhere.

- Chrome replicator doesn't really fit that plan but it's hard to resist throwing one in there when I have 3X Watcher of the Spheres and 2X Vryn Wingmare
- I have a few Prowess flyers and a few non-creature spells, feels like there's a tension between that and the Wingmares, but they should also slow down my opponent
- Maybe cut Rousing Read? I'm just into that spell. It'd go great on a Chrome Replicator or the Seasoned Hallowblade plus it generally helps me find the right cards.
- If I can blank removal from my opponent with the Angelic Ascension it seems great, otherwise not so great.

This is only my third draft in this format so any advice is appreciated.

P1P3: Swooper is the more powerful card, Pegasi are usually lower on most people's pick orders
P1P4: Lofty, Frost Breath or Chorister would be better picks. The Hellkite rarely makes the cut in this format.
P2P2: Probably Swooper here. Having 2 Watchers already is a very strong pull into UW flyers. Siege Striker is also fine as a hedge.
P3P2: I like Daybreak Charger in this deck for pushing damage and making a ground blocker that trades up. I'm low on Solidarity outside of WG but it's close here

Deck looks good, no changes for me. I would normally do 16 lands with this curve, but 17 will help with the need for both UW sources on turn 2. There's nothing else we really want to fit in anyway. At least we can discard extras to Hallowblade and Rousing Read. You can be cute with the 2nd Replicator (it sees itself to satisfy the ETB condition) but it doesn't fit the deck's plan.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I've been messing around with that Boros Craterhoof deck since Eej linked it, initially looking for a quick deck to grind out dailies. It's performed surprisingly well, and that Top 8 finish in the Hooglandia tournament makes me think it can be a real deck. I want to keep tuning it and maybe play it in the Historic Open. I know the Historic ladder is soft and full of jank but FWIW, my record was 34-21 from mid Plat to Diamond (bo1) and then 18-7 from Diamond to Mythic (bo3).

Deck link

I switched to bo3 in Diamond and have been trying to figure out the sideboard. I don't play much Constructed, let alone Historic so please help me goons. This is what I have currently:

2 Conclave Tribunal - Catchall removal, easy to cast with tokens.
2 Timely Reinforcements - For the mirror (on the draw), Goblins and Elves.
2 Gideon's Sacrifice - Also for the mirror and goblins, and board wipes that depend on damage. I haven't gotten to play this yet, but decided to experiment with it after a white lifelink deck blew out my Craterhoof turn with it. Potentially buys us an extra turn to get the combo off, or protect the Lukka/Transmog target against damage effects. I tried Unbreakable Formation here and it was way too expensive.
2 Gideon Blackblade - Survives most board wipes.
1 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame - See above. Makes bodies and lets us recast our token-generating spells. She's usually more relevant than Gideon but the manabase doesn't support 1RR well so I'm hesitant to play more copies.
1 Demystify - Enchantments like Virulent Plague, Baffling End and Underworld Breach. Haven't seen many of these cards played against me yet.
3 Soul-Guide Lantern - Silver bullet for Kethis combo and Breach combo decks.
1 Alpine Moon - Field of the Dead, but it's already a favourable matchup. Probably cutting this.
1 Kaheera, the Orphanguard - Companion. It's been relevant more often than expected (usually vs control), but an actual 15th sideboard card could be better.

Good matchups:
Golos/FOTD - current builds are slow and generally don't have interaction.
Control decks can disrupt us but IME the deck has enough resources to match theirs and grind out games.

Even:
Kethis and Breach combo decks are about the same speed as us, Lanterns give us an edge post-board.
Elves are roughly even I think? Didn't face enough to know.

Unfavoured:
I somehow faced 0 Rakdos sacrifice decks in Diamond, but I think that matchup is unfavoured?
Mono U is a bad matchup but is a relatively small portion of the meta currently.
Goblins is probably the worst matchup (Chainwhirler is a beating) among the popular decks, and where this deck needs the most help.

There are a lot of other decks but I haven't seen them with enough frequency to comment. I suspect running more removal is the only option, but trading cards 1:1 vs. Goblins seems like a losing prospect. I'm going to test one or two more Anthems for now. Not being able to run creatures limits our options. Maybe in a transformational sideboard, but I don't know what 8 cards would replace the Craterhoof package. Are there any other potential cards I've missed?

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Grifter posted:

P1P3: I think at the time my thinking was that I had read an article that if you're trying low CMC aggro the Pegasus can be a good pick. The other side of my thinking was that if I have all flying creatures the Swooper wouldn't do that much for its CMC. After the draft though I had a fair number of non-flying creatures that I am definitely playing and I can see that imagining myself to have all flyers was foolish.
P1P4: This was a hedge, but not a good one. I feel like one of my real struggles with draft is that I get too hung up on my early picks and don't see open lanes when I should be transitioning so this was about me mentally trying not to get too hung up on UW. Striking that balance is something I'm trying to get better on.
P3P2: I did pick up Charger on a different pick for exactly the reasons you cited. Here I went with solidarity because I feel like if I can drop multiple flyers putting counters on all of them seems good. This was one of the toughest packs for me as I also really like Rousing Read.

Prioritising 2-drops is a good idea, but it's usually not too hard to get enough of those in White and P1P3 is early enough to go for the higher upside card. Pegasus is stronger on defense and isn't much worse than Swooper so I don't disagree too strongly. Staying open in P1P4 is good practice but the potential upside of your pool is so much higher than that of the Hellkite. It would have to be something like Soul Sear or Heartfire Immolator to tempt me to do an off-colour pick there. I thought about Solidarity v Charger again and I'm leaning towards your pick as the correct one.

Also agree that Edge P1P5 was a good hedge, the on-colour cards in that pack are things you would hope to pick up on the wheel.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Haha, I did the exact same thing with Basri when I first built a sideboard for that deck. Boros hoof hasn't done well for me in Mythic so far but I'll have to try that sideboard.

wei fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 21, 2020

wei
Jul 27, 2006
From what I've seen, Elves just isn't as explosive or consistent as Goblins. Muxus is a board refill and win condition by itself, and can come out very early if the setup is there. Snoop is busted and Matron provides a lot of consistency and flexbility. They can also run removal maindeck without losing much to interact with combo decks, and I think better sideboard options.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

The Klowner posted:

Don't forget that throne of eldraine is available for Premier draft for the next 7 days or so. From what I can tell it sounded like it got a bad rep because it sucks with bots but it was supposedly a good draft format with humans

yeah, human Eldraine drafts are great. Every strategy is viable, and all colour pairs and monocolour decks can be good. Aggro is probably better because of the hand smoother still but it's nowhere as skewed as M21. Had a lot of fun in the drafts I did today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Time posted:

I’m enjoying the matchup spread of normal RDW against the historic field atm. I like it against goblins and temur rec, which is like half the field.

Can you post your list please?