Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Justin_Brett posted:

I dunno why they show you what your opponent is looking at anyway, doesn't seem to add much either way.

If you want to look at an opponent’s GY or closely read one of their cards on paper you can, but they will know. Same idea I think.

Same if you’re staring at/playing with a card in your hand during responses, it might be a tell or you might be bluffing but your opponent has the opportunity to see it.

The cards in hand is a little weird, but the only thing you gain from mousing over that is seeing a count of cards in hand. Which again, you can ask your opponent IRL, but they will know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Gingerbrute is fantastic

He’s an animated food, and if you’re real fast you CAN catch him

Flavorful!

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Autotapper in this game is pretty good, which just makes it worse when it decides to spring the trap and savagely own you

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

babypolis posted:

limited seems like it will be based around grabbing as many adventures as you can

It'll be interesting, it seems like adventure decks will be trying to grind out incremental advantage and every card is built in card advantage, but there are some powerful aggro options in the other colors.

Like I can see how "low powered instant into low powered creature, BUT IN ONE CARD" will have trouble keeping up with the guy slamming knights and turning them sideways turns 2-6

for Murderous Rider in limited, murder stapled to a creature is way more palatable at rare, where you may only see it once every few drafts, rather than at uncommon where you could see it multiple times per game.

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 21, 2019

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
I got smashed by a gruul Phoenix deck and I just threw one together, got to live the dream of T2 Phoenix

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

AngryBooch posted:

Arclight Phoenix? Gruul Arclight Phoenix? What the hell? List?

Very much a rough draft, slapped this together with the first cards that came to mind after getting beat up by it.
dunno that itll ever be that good because the card draw options are so limited in gruul, but it absolutely can pop off

4 Merchant of the Vale (ELD) 131
9 Forest (ELD) 269
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
9 Mountain (ELD) 265
4 Rosethorn Acolyte (ELD) 174
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 Thrill of Possibility (ELD) 146
4 Arclight Phoenix (GRN) 91
4 Shock (M20) 160
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
3 Lucky Clover (ELD) 226
3 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115

The inkeeper and lucky clover are better engines than you'd think, but the deck loses when it fizzles on card draw.
Sometimes you just win on the back of the 5/5 beasts and 4/3 giants without ever getting a phoenix into play, especially if you are doubling up their adventures.

Time posted:

I’m betting it uses once upon a time to get a free spell, then two single cmc things to go to town. That’s a cool concept

Yeah, thats how it gets there on T2 - once upon a time -> rosethorn acolyte -> haggle
You could theoretically get double T2 phoenix with the nut draw.

The interaction that is awesome but not obvious is lucky clover into the Rosethorn Acolyte adventure Seasonal Ritual - turns G into 2 mana of any color and can help accelerate starting on T3

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 29, 2019

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
oko is my least favorite card in the set by a mile

do not want to play with this card, do not want to play against this card, not in constructed, and certainly not in limited

if you're gonna be an insurmountable advantage engine at least have the decency to end the game quickly

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
The first two games of this draft BO3 have taken like 45 minutes because my opponent keeps taking the full timer and I am no longer interested in the outcome of this match and just want to stop

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Just hosed myself out of a win because I thought fairy guidemother’s adventure was instant speed (it is not)

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

flatluigi posted:

yeah I don't think I'm going to draft until the next bot update. fighting people with 4-5 secretkeepers is maddening

I did a bunch of drafts today and while I think it’s possible to draft a good deck that isn’t UB or GB it’s soooo easy to be one of those things it’s hard to not go that direction

Way too easy to come up a bit short as aggro, and there aren’t many good ways to get ahead other than perfect draws. All the card advantage is in black and blue

All made worse because secret keeper being an 0/4 that mills 4 is absurd and the bots treat them a step above basic lands

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Drafted a mono U deck with 2 secret keeper, 2 lucky clover, 2 run away together and a ton of card draw

Milling for 8 a few times is pretty stupid

The 3 copies of the mono u land are seriously over performing in this specific deck too. When you’re recurring run away together, turn into a pumpkin, and that draw 3 / scry 3 that’s big value

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Any ideas for decks for the Eldraine Constructed event? I'm just jamming together a simic pile because I have Okos and Geese and Questing Beasts but IDK if it's actually a good deck beyond "these cards are sweet"

The pile should also have once upon a time in it, and wicked wolf probably

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Merfolk secretkeeper was a huge fuckup in MTGA drafts

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

Doltos posted:

You know whats worse than Oko in standard is Oko in limited

Yes, but I’m usually more willing to forgive busted mythical in limited because they ruin far fewer games by the numbers.

Though Oko is particularly frustrating in limited because he pretty much WILL win you the game but it might take a while, which is just awful to play against. Most busted mythics will at least end the game in a few turns

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
You could ban the goose, krasis, and nissa and oko would still be played a ton and still be totally dominant. This isn’t a case where taking away enablers at all addresses th-

*gets turned into a 3/3 elk*

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

Hammer Bro. posted:

Can one get that art in paper Magic?

They are in the collectors boosters, so yes but at a premium

Some of them are real good

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
I did not realize there was another couple batches of storybook art cards in the store, available for 3k coins per 5

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Cool event, 4 out of my first 5 matches against mono blue mill

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
I think the eldraine arena bots are the best they’ve ever been

4 drafts tonight, absolutely stomped to 7 wins with RW and RG, 4 wins with an ugly UG pile and 2-3 with UB control that was too light on removal.

The UB control stuff that you could reliably grab very late is clearly going higher. no more merfolk, so tiny, didn’t say please etc on the wheel, if you want that stuff you’ve actually got to go take it. I definitely played against a lot fewer control/mill decks overall

Certainly not perfect but we’ve come a long way

i poop fire posted:

Thanks for the codes.

I leaned into the black aggro stuff and crafted some embercleaves and rotting regisaurs.

Embercleave seems like it will be good in every arena format for quite a while, so not a bad place to start

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Those listed cards also don’t count when opening packs.

Only the normal ELD rares can be pulled, so the game will give you 20 gems instead of a rare even if you don’t have 4 copies of the random brawl artifact or whatever weird thing from the planeswalker starter decks.

Doesn’t affect the odds of whether you get a mythic or not. it does a check for whether you pulled a mythic or rare, then figures out which specific rare you get based on dupe protection.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Went 3-2 with the white deck in like 15 minutes total.

Mulligan aggressively until you have some acceleration so you can do something unfair on turn 1 or 2 and just try and get them dead. Outcome should be pretty clear by turn 6 or so.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
BM emotes are rare, but there are definitely Good Game spammers as well as the lowest form of human life - the guy who says “oops” to you as he plays a combat trick

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Rakdos knights or grull stuff (both with embercleave) can bash the cat deck before it can dig in

People have mentioned specific hate cards, like cry and brontodon, ley line of the void is another

Even doing those things it is a real drag to play against

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Slam the outflank

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

thespaceinvader posted:

I've been trying to figure this one out myself, sometimes I go straight down, others I'll plateau for quite a lot of matches. I think maybe it only puts you down if the match was against someone lower ranked?

Wow that's a pretty mediocre pack. Seems like a choice between Outflank and Vision, not really sure which. Black definitely seems to be being taken strongly, and red seems very available? If I'm reading this right?

None of those red cards is great, the paladin and ogre knight are meh playable and fling is a sometimes one of. You do have to consider quality not just quantity. Though there was that rim rock knight last pack which also suggests red may be open.

At the moment I see us as likely a white deck that will probably play some blue cards but could still pivot to a different splash. It’s possible we could still flip white/blue in that sentence, but arena bot preferences makes seeing white good stuff more likely than blue.

We are already seeing the case for carriage over yorvo - yorvo is indeed the better card, but only goes in one deck. The carriage would be in our deck for sure.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
I voted for oathsworn knight but I meant to click fireborn knight

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

Lone Goat posted:

very excited to find out how many fireborn knights are too many

##vote fireborn

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
##Trapped in the tower

It could be better but it still the best control white has

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Youthful knight I guess

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Enjoyed my first two sealed runs a lot, there’s a lot to pay attention to in this format - lots of threats but lots of answers, many of which are situational. I do think seeing the best line will be harder than in many sets, which is good.

Just gotta cross our fingers the bots are reasonably good at drafting it. There are no collect-em-all type gimmicks or cards you want to stack infinite copies of outside the obvious cards that are just good anyway. That seems to be what really messes with the bots - cards that are meaningless with one copy but ridiculous with 3+ (secretkeeper plus run away together in eldraine, even Seven Dwarfs in late stage ELD, weaponsmith and bow in M20)

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
On the other hand drafting is the best way to play magic

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
It’s also a card that might as well not have any text on it prior to turn 6 or so. you’ve got time to find a copy.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

cenotaph posted:

Despite the bombs this feels pretty weak. Not sure if I should run Alseid and Dismissal. Also currently at 41 so need a cut. Suggestions?

the only trigger you have for hero of the pride is casting commanding presence on it once per game, and you're not the sort of deck looking to aggro someone down, so that seems replaceable

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

axeil posted:

The ideal situation in that case is to drop whatever you're doing and get into UW as fast as possible. Even if it's P3P3 or something absurd like that. The only way to beat Dream Trawler in limited is to have already effectively won.

The two times I’ve successfully dealt with dream trawler so far:

- Had the knockoff Wrath of God in hand already
- Deny the divine in hand

Otherwise, yeah you’re boned. That card really ought to be mythic.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

I haven't played in a few months and I did not have all the decks unlocked. I think it was said in the last thread that the mono colored starter decks were kind of crappy and that had been my experience last night with the mono red starter (Dome Destruction).

I have been working towards the red-green deck, since I also heard from the last thread to get to unlocking one of those asap. Does this still hold true?

EDIT: That said, getting a bunch of packs from those promo codes would help too :)

EDIT2: Also how do hourglasses work it confuses and scares me into playing as quick as possible. (Did I ask this in the previous thread? Maybe.)

The cheap but still pretty good deck is going to be some flavor of mono red, probably featuring cavalcade of calamity. Most of the cards doing serious work are common/uncommon. I’m sure people would be happy to post better lists, but here’s a random one off google:

https://blog.blacklotusgo.com/cavalcade-of-calamity-in-throne-of-eldraine-standard/

Re: codes, this has them all

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/d9x4ul/updated_all_mtga_promo_codes_todate/

Dr. Stab posted:

You get hourglasses as the match goes on (I don't know how the game awards them, but It doesn't really matter)

You automatically spend hourglasses by letting the rope timer expire. The rope will reset and you can keep playing the turn.

If the timer runs out and you don't have any hourglasses, you yield the rest of the turn.

Just to add to this - you get an extra hourglass if you go 2 turns without having the rope timer pop up. The hourglass gives you another 30 seconds after the rope runs out, and you can use multiples consecutively if you really need to think about a turn.

In general you really should not feel pressured by the timer at all. In the moments where you need to think the extra timers are more than enough.

It’s very lenient and mostly there to limit how much time someone can spend being a jerk if they are losing and mad, not so much to make you play “fast”.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
If everyone was just drafting separately against the arena bots none of this would have happened

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
15th. Mengucci hosed me. time to fire up some hate tweets.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

Wafflecopper posted:

Any time I draft a deck where I've grabbed a couple of awesome bombs and what I think is good support for them, I crash and burn. When I'm like "this is okay I guess I should pick up a couple of wins at least" I win the draft

I drafted a deck a few days ago and didn’t play the games then because I thought the deck sucked and I didn’t feel like cranking out losses

Tonight I decided to run it into the ground and start over. It’s currently 5-0. I still think it’s trash, but it’s been getting my opponent to 0...

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

Shooting Blanks posted:

Find a way to work in a Sephara or two just to make it indestructible.

If you’re playing white, Shalai voice of plenty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
On the one hand the pandemic is gonna gently caress our poo poo right up, on the other hand there’s never been a better time to get into limited in mtg