Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Yeah Gwyn is noticeably worse...all the decks need more removal but his especially because his deck can't do poo poo once the flyer deck gets some flyers out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

No Wave posted:

I imagine the event will mostly be 4x goose, oko, ouat, wolf, reef, cavalier, a few agents, then some other chaff.

this reminded me, why did Risen Reef seemingly disappear from the meta since the start of Eldraine? The Elemental decks didn't really lose anything, and it synergizes with Field too

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Good lord. I'm watching Nizzahon play limited and he's typically someone who tries to avoid playing the most degenerate strategies and he saw *7* Secretkeepers and had no choice but to play mill. They really didn't change anything up for the draft bots did they?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Its too bad Wizards doesn’t do content errata (well, often) because Oko could be a fair card if you lowered his starting loyalty, turned the Elk into a minus loyalty and maybe turned the plus into merely a plus 1. It’s like somewhere in development they turned every single number into a bigger number, except his costing cost.

Anyway as it is it’s insane

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 29, 2019

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

That black enchantment that lets you draw 3 cards for 3 is like totally insane isn't it? There's tons of ways to mitigate its damage to you (it would be pretty insane with Doom Foretold too) and even if it sticks around for a little bit of time its not the worst thing to deal with.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

White not getting any consistent way to draw cards on its own is a pretty big deal if the color pie is setting up to be: Blue can always draw, Black can draw with its life total as a resource, Red gets 'impulse' draw, Green can draw specifically creatures and lands.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

TipTow posted:

Hit diamond for the first time ever playing my monoish G stompy deck in historic. The winning match being against simic nexus makes it all the sweeter.

shut up

Demonic Tutor had a pentagram, but it just wasn't reprinted.

It seems so obvious but has it bothered anyone else how horribly that circle is drawn on unholy strength?

The art thats technically really bad is some of the real charm of the first few sets. Like look at Balance, what the hell is going on there?

There was some art that kicked absolute rear end, and there was art that looked like a 13 year old drew it up in a notebook. Early magic ruled

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Underworld Breach is legitimately more powerful than any single card in Throne of Eldraine

It's most definitely completely broken in any eternal format and will most likely have to eat a ban almost immediately - it will be interesting if there's some degenerate combo with it in Standard. I'm sure one will emerge.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

My god, Dream Trawler is just unfair in Limited. I drafted a pretty poo poo white-blue deck after pivoting from green-white when I got Dream Trawler pack 2 pick 1 and I haven't lost a single game where I've been able to play him. I've even twice put Staggering Insight on him for the most unfair combo ever. Hi, I'm drawing 3 cards a turn from my 6/6 lifelinker with hexproof, good luck!

The combination of his abilities makes him either end the game on the spot or drag you back into a game you're unfathomably behind. Just an absurd limited card.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Hahah oh my god I just played someone in draft who was running 6, SIX copies of Satyrs Cunning along with the Satyr lord that lets you discard cards at random to draw 2. I didn't realize it but they synergize really well because the cards you discard feed the escape for the Satyrs Cunning. He probably summoned about 20 Satyrs in the game and right after I thought I stabilized he hit me in the face with a burn spell.

I don't think its a good draft strategy, but I'm sure that person is having a good time.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

cenotaph posted:

Also I got to pull off the apathy flicker trick and it's incredibly satisfying for some reason.

How do you order the triggers for this? I want to try this but not blow myself out

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I've been suckered into black the last two drafts I've done - I drafted Gulgari Garbo both times because I could get so much removal, but really no win conditions other than hopefully grinding them out with a lot of creatures.

I even stupidly drafted a lot of self-mill in a Golgari deck where I had only one escape creature. Just milling the poo poo out of myself to no real purpose.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Blendy posted:

What do I cut here?

Don’t think you need that Nyxborn Colossus between Uro and Thryx, who are both big beater win conditions.

Also don’t really like Chain to Memory unless you’re a real tempo type deck

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Have just been starting up on Arena and, is the Mastery pass useful at all if I don’t care about cosmetics? I still don’t quite understand the economy system (this is after a fair bit of research) and the gem investment seems high when I wanna do a bunch of drafts.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Thanks for the tips everybody.

Regarding best limited color: I find it very hard to not get into black if I see any of their removal spells, Mire's Grasp, Final Death, the Catoblepas, there is so much good common removal its insane.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

little munchkin posted:

it's playable but not something i've been super impressed with when i play with/against it. i don't think you need to prioritize it unless you have good uncommon/rares that want the escape fuel

Yeah, I've been less impressed with Relentless Pursuit than I thought I would be - often you may only hit 1 thing, and you need to have a very heavy mill/escape deck for the incidental mill to help out that much. It's not a bad card, but I'm finding on turn 3 I'm much happier to play a body than I am to play Relentless Pursuit and pass.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I really don't think much in Theros is insanely pushed except the red Yawgmoth's Will (and that only affects eternal formats), everything else is pretty reasonable power level wise. Certainly nothing on the level of Oko or Once Upon a Time

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Holy crap Shadowspear is a beating in limited. It’s not totally broken like Dream Trawler or Kiora Bests, but if you can curve out with it it’s very very hard to beat. There’s so little artifact destruction, and the life gain makes you impossible to race, that if you are able to keep putting creatures on the board you’re gonna win most of your games.

I had a 7-2 draft run with blue-black trash putting it on the flash 2/2 bird and winning 5 out of 7 games

Also I’ve been running Arena on the GeForce app and it’s been incredible, no slip ups except I forgot you could only play one hour at a time and I got kicked out and lost a game because of it.

It’s gonna revolutionize how I use my Mac

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 7, 2020

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

“Lol”

“Tough luck”

“Die in a fire”

“Nice net deck”

Would be a good addition.

I need a "I loving had you but I drew 6 lands in a row goddamnit"

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Sinteres posted:

It's the most interesting format for sure (especially of the formats available on Arena), which means there's more to talk about, but the vast majority of play is still going to be constructed. There's just not much to talk about since the vast majority of players are either making do with whatever jank they have access to or netdecking.

Limited is such a fascinating format. The fact that you have to deal with limited resources and construct a deck that sometimes has to make use of unconventional or downright bad cards is so fun to me. It really levels the playing field and tests other areas of player's skill sets.

I'll probably get tired of the draft format soon, but for right now its a blast.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Re: Having Dream Trawler and Kiora Bests in the same pool - I think its ok to run pretty much whatever trash out there and just wait and draw one of those bombs. If you can buy time with the turtle and Meletis walls and bounce effects, you're still gonna have a good run.

I actually got to Ultimate Calix in a draft and it returned all my auras onto one of creatures (including a Dreadful Apathy :( ) without giving me any chance to target different creatures. Is that how it should have resolved? Did I do something here?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

It probably would be a low percentage move but if a pack is handed to me and Dream Trawler is in it and not in my colors and there's literally any chance I may face it and there's nothing *super* good for me, I'd loving take it.

Because gently caress that card (unless I have it)

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I'm OK with Hexproof if it comes at a cost/downside, so in theory I'm cool with Dream Trawler having conditional Hexproof but it also draws you extra cards so its conditional Hexproof doesn't even really exist.

Bust Rodd was right that one of the other problems with it is there are basically no other creatures that can deal with it in regular combat, or even with most of the combat tricks. It's just a hole in the Limited design.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I know it’s consensus that Guilds of Ravnica limited is pretty...limited....but building a kick rear end Boros deck and just kicking the poo poo out of people who are playing durdley three+ color decks feels really good, I have to say.

Missed GRN on the first go around so I’m having fun with this little flashback event.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Just 0-3'd a draft where I had both Dream Trawler AND that Kraken that gets you a tentacle when you draw a card. I feel so humiliated.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Because I missed War of the Spark limited I signed up for this Sealed thing they're offering, my first deck had literally 6 garbage-to-fine rares and made an Abzan pile that's probably terrible. Anyway, my first game lasted 40 minutes. What a weird format.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I love this Historic Pauper event. I threw together a White Aggro Pile and just went 4-1 and in the last game I won by casting Pacifism on my own Hero of the Pride so I could give my team +1/+0 for an Alpha Strike.

Its amazing how many people run zero removal in this event. You shouldn't do that!

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

i like the idea of these Precon events, especially for decks that are allowed to break the rules and such, but the ones they've done so far have been so Bland and Vanilla and also super Unbalanced. if you're gonna do unbalanced crazy shenanigans, cool! Lets do it, but its boring to watch my opponent chain 4 Return of the Wildspeaker and cast 23 Llanowar Elves followed by an End-Raze Boars, that isn't fun

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I don't know if Sealed Cube is "good" but I made a bad rear end "4 Power Matters" Blue Green deck and got to chain a bunch of creatures together with The Great Henge leading to an End-Raze Forerunner alpha strike and that felt good

So it's cool with me

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Flash decks are getting a lot of goodies in this set and that annoys me because playing against Flash is really loving annoying

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Cube is fun, someone killed me on like turn 5 by accelerating out an Ilharg, who brought out a Ghalta who they then added an Embercleave to

I've never been more delighted to be killed without warning.

It's too bad the pay structure is really crummy, given you don't really get any cards from it it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Also, why not a draft format? I guess too early to do a person draft and too much work to do a bot draft, huh.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I made that Hoogland Kroxa deck where you self-mill yourself and re-cast Kroxa and the Ox a bazillion times until you out-value your opponents. Let me tell ya friends, there's nothing quite like beating a UW Control deck when you have like 4 cards left in your deck and you finally discarded them to death.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

People in this thread: Oh no! There are so many news toys for the CatOven combo!!

Me: Oh yes. There are so many new toys for the CatOven combo. :getin:

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

We all agree that next season's master pass sucks, but is it worth buying the current mastery pass and get all the rewards before it rolls over? I don't care about cosmetics and only play draft and standard. I'm at level 66.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Also probably worth noting that the trad draft token will be usable in Ikoria, and trad draft opens before ranked draft, so you might get in on the ground of the format for draft purposes.

Ok, I'm convinced, this seems worth it

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Human drafts coming Thursday kicks rear end. Thats the most exciting news of all.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Time posted:

Also, the sealed cube has been very good. I was skeptical at first because I hate sealed and the card pool was suspect, but I was wrong. It's a lot of fun and the build portion of it has been very skill testing. Fixing is rare and very much at a premium so you cant always run 3-5 color value piles. you have to make hard decisions about mana, which bombs you cant afford to run, which ones you'll risk as a "splash" even though they need double colored mana (agent of treachery)

Everyone can look at the cards and figure out which ones are probably the true bombs, but playing the format and figuring out that the machine gun mammoth is not only viable, but one of the best cards has been a blast. Special shout out to captivating crew for winning every game I played red mana

Cube is awesome, its just such a shame the prize structure is so bad i feel like i can't justify it for myself if I'm trying to have some gold and gems available to draft Ikoria.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

After all my hemming and hawing I’m probably gonna spend some StimStim on Arena. I don’t see myself playing paper any this summer TBH, and so I’m contemplating just going full digi for this block.

Anyone in the thread routinely buying $50-$100 packs of gems? How long do you stretch that in drafts? My modest goal is to try and hit Mythic in limited at least once, so that way I can speak more authoritatively about how drafting sucks and limited is a bad format.

Spending hundreds of my own dollars to own SA MTG posters. In all seriousness though, I spent $60 total last season and got several dozen drafts (I should have kept track of how many, I will now.) I'm also pretty new and bad at draft, but god drat I need to teach you how great limited is as a format and how dull constructed gets after a while.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Wait how are people playing Ikoria already? I'm not seeing this available for me yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Oofa Doofa that was a big fat 0-3 for my first Pod draft. I drafted Abzan Bad Stuff and seemingly everyone I played also drafted Abzan, except for the one guy who dropped 5 flyers on me that I could not possibly keep up with. Making sure you can deal with flyers seems like a big deal as I lost one game when someone mutated an 8/8 on some innocuous flyer and I had no answer.

This is gonna be a swingy format due to how big some of these creatures are, but its gonna be fun.