Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

cams posted:

if you are playing magic, the proper experience is one player who is having a great time and thinks they're very smart, and one player who thinks this game is loving stupid and regrets playing it. this is what a healthy format in magic should feel like.

I am glad to contribute to the health of Magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1199055226046730240

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol the MTG Arena trailer for Theros is literally death stranding

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOzNb5Bqzwg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Uh looks like they're also making an Action RPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ1F75YohDk

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I haven't been paying attention to most of what's been going on in the latter half of Eldraine or anything in this new set, I kind of want to jump back in but it also seems like a lot of effort.

I got two Thassa's Oracles in my PlayTheros packs so maybe I see if my current Sultai self-mill deck might be viable with a few tweaks lol

Also the owl is unfortunately not as cool as previous pets but oh well

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lost a couple of games but then I won off a shame concede when someone cracked a Fabled Passage into my Ashiok. I might just jump back into this.

Since Theros has a bunch of graveyard plays there must be some new tools for this Jace-Tamiyo-Ashiok core I have, right

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have been out of the Arena game for a while but WHAT Cube is happening?

Edit: Oh Sealed for now, draft later

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I haven't played in a while, skipping all of Ikoria, but when I got an email with three free M21 packs I thought why not get back in, I'm sure it will be like riding a bike

I had to click through four pages of rule changes and card bans lol. I did open an Azusa, Lost But Seeking, I remember her from Kamigawa at least

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I fell off MTG during Eldraine but I saw the trailer with the synthwave and I saw the Wanderer has returned, thinking I might jump back in, is this a good idea

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You laugh but this was clutch so many times, I have fond memories of that set

Also learning that she had kinetic energy absorption powers like Gambit or whatever and channeled them through the sword lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

flatluigi posted:

loadingreadyrun's preprerelease all-day stream starts in a few moments, if you wanna see people play with the cards publicly for the first time:

I want those fancy art lands

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ok after watching this stream and looking over the spoilers (and listening to hatsune miku) I am getting hyped up for the next set and have been getting back into arena.

I have been playing with the current starter decks just to get a feel for what the game is like these days, but I also have like 30k gold and 3k gems left from a few years ago and I'm wondering what I should do with them at this moment

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What is the card for "Did you think that killing me would be enough to make me die?"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am counting down the days like Miku throws magic cards

https://s1.webmshare.com/6eY5j.webm

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm assuming you followed the instructions in the OP and used all the available codes to get 3 free packs of every single set on arena as well as any other codes available on the site linked there, right? that will net you a pretty significant amount of cards and wildcards.

Oh poo poo what, where?

I fell off at Eldraine, I remember they used to do PlayXXX codes but i didn't know if those were time-limited, can I claim them for all the sets since?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh sweet, thanks, gimme those wildcards...

I guess I am also confused at what constitutes Standard these days lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think I'll get that Play pre-order bundle... I have read the discussion about the Mastery Pass but I'll probably be doing like at least 4 events regardless so it seems worth

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

flatluigi posted:

don't forget the new card, "Farewell" (to my career as a mtg artist)

i hope we can get this alt art

does arena do alt art as skins or

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

wow, a real live Wanderer fan. that's gotta be rarer than an unironic Jace Enthusiast

I immediately bought the Wanderer avatar.

What is the value proposition between Traditional and Premier draft?

Also are there special packs for Limited versus the ones you buy/get as rewards? What's the diff

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am guessing if I'm rusty and also bad at limited anyway I should do Premier?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm should I build a black deck of some sort

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

King of False Promises posted:

toad deck toad deck

Hmm do I splash white, the fox's ability seems less cool than I initially thought because I have 3 Twisted Embraces but it has to be "different name." I do have the white shrine which seems sweet. I have enough B cards that seem good though that I could go Mono-B.

I guess I don't know if I can play something with BBBB if I go two-color?

Hidetsugu's ability wants red but I have like no playable red cards

Ah the toad rider could use U and I have a couple cool ninjutsu cards... difficult choices....

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 11, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

You should probably show us the rest of your pool if you want helpful advice.

Save your deck in game, then paste the cards into https://sealeddeck.tech/, hit Publish and give us the new link.

BBBB is reasonable if you have like, 11-12 black sources.

I tried to do this but hitting the "Add to Decks" from the Sealed Game window doesn't seem to do anything?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OK, I used MTGA Pro Tracker to get this list out lol, thoughts on my pool would be appreciated

https://sealeddeck.tech/JLm8RDXFAx

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Re the above pool: I listened to Limited Resources on the way home (lol at the changes in recent years, LSV's set reviews behind paywall, this podcast being sponsored by NFT sites...) and thought that the white splash might be worth?

I feel like I have enough things that care about enchantments that bringing those in would be helpful -- the white shrine seems really good? Toad Rider and Hidetsugu want U/G or R for their secondary abilities but I don't think there's enough in those colors to justify it, so I guess I treat them as gravy if I hit Uncharted Haven... or maybe I run the mana rock. I do have that creature that makes treasures too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Game 1 Toad Guy died immediately to a lightning bolt but I'm glad I put in white, that enchantment density feels like an engine, 4/4 flyer for 4 was great and I benefited from that "If you control both an artifact and enchantment" clause already.

Dockside Chef might do some work if games go long?

Edit: Yes Dockside Chef owns :getin:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 11, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

jesus christ i lost because i misplayed and allowed my opponent to get 2 life off a lifelinker which was enough to keep them alive on a completely stalled board and i ended up decking myself lol, i drew like 15 cards with the chef trying to find an answer and couldn't get one, my last turn i almost got through because of menace and basically if any of my 1/1s got through they would have been dead but they had exactly one flash creature

Edit: did they cue this up for a loss lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 11, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So this deck owned and I needed to rename it for the true MVP, the value uncommon that got me there

The "artifact" part makes it have amazing synergy with Undercity Scrounger, since I could sac a 1/1 (oh yeah that shrine was good) and draw for 1B, then get a treasure that I could sac and draw for 1B, the advantage was so powerful.

Also Spirited Companion just worked with everything: ninjutsu, chef, return to action

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It comes with the box of packs in the store

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Boooo that’s like… $60 or something isn’t it. Oh well

So for card art... it's not a style overlaid on existing cards but you'd have to get four copies of the alt art card for a set? I'm confused now lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Felt pretty anxious about jumping into a timed draft before doing one untimed with bots lol... I think it came together?

I heard good things about the hot springs so when p1 was Goro-Goro into that I forced it pretty hard. the game telling me I only have 8 creatures with this setup was kind of worrying but I guess I also have artifacts that make creatures or vehicles so they kinda count?

Edit:

G1: Made a Dragon, opponent snap conceded lol. Twinshot sniper crucial in stabilizing
G2: Hot Springs took me over the top against a green ramp deck, they were forced to trade their colossus with my beefy Heiko that was able to get back a kunai that would clear out their utility creatures and they couldn't stop me from making a dragon next turn so they conceded
G3: Here comes the boy

Also the bankbuster is pretty sweet, artifact that draws cards then becomes a beater with its own pilot works well
G4: I got baited into a bad block by opponent going "oops" which lmao that I fell for that, but then they randomly conceded, never punished
G5: Azusa ramp into Colossus cleaned up, I didn't imagine the spirit of Azusa would be a mech pilot but here we are
G6: Walked into a Wanderer's intervention and lost a game I could have pulled out
G7: Holy poo poo, got bailed out of a losing position against a Seshiro with Cloudsteel Kirin and me not having any reach, luckily Experimental Synthesizer both fished me a Master's Rebuke to kill it plus gave me a samurai to crew my Colossus for lethal
G8": Well, my opponent seemed flooded but the nut draw of Ember-Keeper into Hot Spring into Heiko seemed pretty oppressive anyway, the Hot Springs are real and went 7-1

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 12, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Here comes the boy

Also the bankbuster is pretty sweet, artifact that draws cards then becomes a beater with its own pilot works well

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wooper posted:

Should have put the correct text on it in that case.

" Each opponent sacrifices a creature unless they discard a card."

Hmm yeah that doesn't seem like it should do anything if you have no creatures?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Holy poo poo, got bailed out of a losing position against a Seshiro equipped with Cloudsteel Kirin and me not having any reach, luckily Experimental Synthesizer both fished me a Master's Rebuke to kill it plus gave me a samurai to crew my Colossus for lethal

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well, my opponent seemed flooded but the nut draw of Ember-Keeper into Hot Spring into Heiko seemed pretty oppressive anyway, the Hot Springs are real and went 7-1

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Trying to play two different Invokes in the same deck is probably too greedy huh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Squiggly posted:

Only if you like never being able to cast the one you have in hand

I'm sure it'll rotate each game

wei posted:

The white one is definitely playable at least, the plainscycling samurai has a neat synergy with it. I think you're better off skewing the manabase W to be able to cast it consistently; if those 3 Havens were UW duals instead I'd be greedy and run both.

Meh, even without playing the blue invoke this deck felt pretty bad, 2-3

The one time I got the dragon out to do anything, it did beat the dragon from the mythic G saga but they also had like 4 5/5s from counters so it didn't matter

This draft I really felt the pain of keeping bad hands, I need to start mulling more judiciously

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tier list puts this at an A-, how are you supposed to cast this

I got passed this and passed it in favor of W removal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Last draft token from my pre-order, time to make it count

BW was incredibly open (both gold cards were like pick 5 or 6)... is 4 vehicles enough? Any swaps to make...?

I don't know if Naomi will do anything regardless, but it seems like the basic core of "dogs flying mechs" seems like it will work and there are enough other cards that seem good enough

Edit: I swapped out the 3B saga for the terrarrium considering I need gold, but also have BB and WWWW to hit, marginal increase in artifact count too

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 12, 2022